• Economic control, Scotland's independence, world affairs, & revolution

From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to All on Mon Sep 22 11:42:03 2014
    I ended up typing a response to somebody this morning that got a little bit longer than I thought it was going to (go figure). It was originally spawned by somebody wondering whether or not Scotland's botched bid for independence from the UK might end up being the global 'straw that broke the camel's back', regarding the people taking up pitchforks and fighting for some equality, and control over their own lives, and political processes. Anyway, it got long enough and into enough that I think it might spawn a bit of discussion, so without more shit I shall cuntpaste it here:

I think that the problem, with part of this, is that the people, as in citizens of the world, largely exist under media lockdown. Now a lot of people are waking up and understanding that what is seen on the alternative, social-networking enabled media, is more accurate [at times] than the mainstream media. However, that's still a relatively slim percentage of the population, I think. It's easy, from perspectives like our own, to think that the percentage is higher than it is. We, however, exist in a bubble; it's easy to think that your own sect is larger than it is, because the only viewpoints and people that you communicate with [largely] are those with the same perspectives as your own.

Outside of this bubble, people know that their own realities, and those of their local neighbors, suck. They don't really ever get a good perspective of what it's like for the rest of the people around the world, though. They don't understand that their own suffering isn't just for them, but for the majority of the citizens around the world. It keeps them from feeling the true weight of the repression that we're under, IMO. If that weight were added, for every single person being held down right now, and if they were to see that the whole world is being kept under thumb like this, maybe the straw that broke the camel's back would be a lot closer.

As it is right now, I think that things are going to have to get bad enough so that:
    * people have nothing to lose within their immediate futures;
    unfortunately I think that this is going to take harsh martial law in their faces, and losing loved ones at gun point
    * people,áen masse much greater than now, turn to alternative media and understand that the truth isn't coming from the mainstream media at all, that the alternative media needs to be skeptically trusted, and with that the dawn of understanding regarding how bad situations are in the world today

When I crack my bubble, every now and then, with the opinions of those a little less acclimated to accepting these things than myself, I see people that know that a big change is in the air; they definitely smell fire on the wind.

Everybody is still waiting, though. Everybody is still happy enough with what they still have. They're not losing loved ones, they can't quit their jobs to fight, because they'll lose every resource that they have if they do that. Our slavery is quite complete. Fortifications are being built up around us and every minute we put resisting this shit off is making it that much of a harder battle that we'll have in the future. Yet who is going to give up their families, homes, and loved ones, to be the first martyr in line? It's not until we're all thrown into that grim meathook reality together that we'll be willing to put our own skin in the game.

Unfortunately, despite how bad things have gotten, we're still way too well off to be willing to take these risks right now. I don't know if it's that we're too well acclimated, or too well medicated, but between the two, and other factors, we're not going to be doing this any time until our skin is put in the game by forces outside of our own control.

Then again, the Fed has finally stopped (or is going to in the immediate future) quantitative easing; in the summer of 2015 they're supposed to be doing an interest rates hike. Maybe that's when the monopoly money starts getting cashed in for real-world goods. If people start losing automobiles, homes, and the very food they eat, to the bankers, that might be the last push that we need before we start sharpening pitchforks.

I really don't think that cutting off the quantitative easing and hiking interest, now that we've stayed afloat so long with nothing but that propping us up, is going to do anything other than knock the bottom floor out from under this house of cards. I just hope I'm right. I'm sick of living in a life where there's no potential for change, or even the possibility of making a better life. I'll take risk, if it means that my son might have a future better than my own.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Tinfoil Tetrahedron BBS telnet or ssh -p 2222 to tinfoil.synchro.net