• my crazy idea

From deepthaw@VERT/CORTEX to All on Thu Dec 3 01:54:41 2020
    Here's my crazy idea to fix representation issues, the electoral college, and all that:

(at least) triple the number of states in the us, which would potentially result in many of the large cities becoming their own states.

you no longer have one state government trying to represent wildly different interests between the city and rural areas. if red and blue could more easily govern in their own ways, maybe we wouldn't be at each other's throats so much.

thoughts?

--- ENiGMA 1/2 v0.0.12-beta (linux; x64; 12.19.1)
    * Origin: cortex (55:1/101)
  • From Dr. What@VERT/DMINE to deepthaw on Fri Dec 4 14:43:00 2020
    deepthaw wrote to All <=-

Here's my crazy idea to fix representation issues, the electoral
    college, and all that:

(at least) triple the number of states in the us, which would
    potentially result in many of the large cities becoming their own
    states.

you no longer have one state government trying to represent wildly different interests between the city and rural areas. if red and blue could more easily govern in their own ways, maybe we wouldn't be at
    each other's throats so much.

thoughts?

We already have things broken up like that with in the states: counties
    (some states use a different term, but it's the same).

Right now, states portion their electors from the popular vote within the state. That mean that a few, relatively small, areas (i.e. cities) effectively control the vote.

A simple change to give each county only 1 vote would accomplish the same thing as your idea.

But they Dems would fight heavily against that. Because if that happens, they will never win an election ever again.

... To every exception there is a rule.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ Diamond Mine Online BBS - bbs.dmine.net:24 - Fredericksburg, VA USA
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to DR. WHAT on Sat Dec 5 15:18:00 2020
    A simple change to give each county only 1 vote would accomplish the same thing
    as your idea.

I can see a reason not to give each county a vote... some states, like
    Kentucky and Georgia, have a huge number of counties and, in Kentucky's
    case anyway, that number of counties (120) is not proportional to our population.

California, OTOH, has fewer, but much larger, counties.

IIRC, Maine splits up their electoral votes so that one area (I am
    guessing the largest, population wise) gets its own vote and the rest of
    the state gets the other two. I think Nebraska does the same thing.

If all the states with more than one representative district broke their
    votes up amongst their congressional districts, with the 2 votes they have (that account for their 2 senators) going for the whole state, that would be different. As far as I know, every state is free to split their votes up similar to the way Maine and Nebraska do.

If Kentucky did that, we'd have one vote that was always blue, one or two
    that might be purple (but usually red), and the rest (4) would always be red. Biden would have received one more electoral college vote from us. OTOH,
    if California or Illinois or Michigan did that, he would have lost several electoral college votes.

* SLMR 2.1a * Is it OK to yell "MOVIE" in a crowded Fire Station??

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Dr. What@VERT/DMINE to Dumas Walker on Sun Dec 6 14:52:00 2020
    Dumas Walker wrote to DR. WHAT <=-

I can see a reason not to give each county a vote... some states, like Kentucky and Georgia, have a huge number of counties and, in Kentucky's case anyway, that number of counties (120) is not proportional to our population.

If we continue with the idea of the Electoral College and that the person who is President is the ones with the
    most wide-spread support, population matters less. The idea behind the Electoral system was to prevent very populated
    states from effectively overriding everyone else's vote.

If all the states with more than one representative district broke
    their votes up amongst their congressional districts, with the 2 votes they have (that account for their 2 senators) going for the whole
    state, that would be different. As far as I know, every state is free
    to split their votes up similar to the way Maine and Nebraska do.

Unfortunately, yes. That's good and bad. Should a candidate that gets 51% of the vote get all Electoral votes, or only half?

But even if we did that, we run into the Gerrymandering problem. It's much harder to change the borders of a county that's been there for 100+ years than to change the boundary of a political district that changes every 10 years.

... Of course I have backup tapes! Do you want last years?
    ■ Synchronet ■ Diamond Mine Online BBS - bbs.dmine.net:24 - Fredericksburg, VA USA
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to DR. WHAT on Mon Dec 7 16:17:00 2020
    I can see a reason not to give each county a vote... some states, like Kentucky and Georgia, have a huge number of counties and, in Kentucky's case anyway, that number of counties (120) is not proportional to our population.

If we continue with the idea of the Electoral College and that the person who is President is the ones with the
    most wide-spread support, population matters less. The idea behind the Electoral system was to prevent very populated
    states from effectively overriding everyone else's vote.

Guess I was trying to point out that, in the case of states like Kentucky,
    it would be be a very underpopulated state that could override everyone
    else's vote if every county got a vote.

* SLMR 2.1a * If it ain't water-cooled... it's a terminal!

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Dr. What@VERT/DMINE to Dumas Walker on Tue Dec 8 15:08:00 2020
    Dumas Walker wrote to DR. WHAT <=-

Guess I was trying to point out that, in the case of states like
    Kentucky, it would be be a very underpopulated state that could
    override everyone else's vote if every county got a vote.

Ahh.. Sorry. I was thinking about keeping the Electoral system that we have, but within the states, each county would get 1 vote for president. That
    would prevent highly populated areas (like big cities) from effectively overriding the rest of the state.

On reddit, someone posted a very nice picture of a gerry-mander (i.e.
    a voting district in this case) that nicely split up the conservative
    voters in that area. That's the kind of thing that I would like to see changed.
    That would not only solve the Presidental voting problems, but state problems as well.

... Words are not food, though sometimes we must eat them.