• Article on the AP wire

From Dreamer@VERT/SETXBBS to All on Thu Apr 11 09:40:09 2013
    I just read this on my local news station's site. Pay attention to the last line... I had to read it twice myself.

-----

Gun debate shows how a fiery minority can prevail
    April 11, 2013 06:48 GMT

By CHARLES BABINGTON Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Ninety percent of Americans favor universal background checks for gun buyers. So Republican lawmakers' strong resistance might appear foolhardy.

But these Republicans are making a calculated and probably safe choice.

Their districts' all-important GOP primaries are dominated by hard-right activists. The gun lobby is far more organized and fierce than any opposing groups. And Americans' voting habits often reward those who refuse to compromise.

Experienced campaigners say a small but passionate group can sometimes prevail over larger but less energized groups.

President Barack Obama has asked whether the gun debate indicates that America's democratic system is not working as well as it ought to.

-----

Why in the world would our president be making comments like that? Perhaps the people, and by extension our federal representatives, feel this should be a State issue rather than federal. Personally, I think New York City is a perfect testing ground for sweeping new anti crime legislation. They have some of the strictest laws in the land. However, it is also quickly becoming one with the least freedom. I read a while back that the city legalized random stop and searches, and implemented a program whereby apartment landlords can authorize police to randomly enter and search tenants' apartments -- with NO notice! Now, those laws in NYC are being challenged in the courts... however, I'm disgusted that we even elected people that can push the things that are getting passed as laws. Utterly disgusted and disappointed. I can't wait to get past this election cycle; I just hope that we vote smarter in the next one.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Southeast Texas Chat