• John Christopher's Tripod Trilogy

From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to All on Sat Mar 29 00:03:43 2014
    I read John Christopher's Tripod Trilogy in school when I was a kid. I enjoyed the books. Soon after reading the first book, I was in a video rental store with my dad and happened to find a movie based on the first book. I seem to remember it being produced by Sony Pictures. I thought it followed the book fairly well and was a good rendition overall. Doing a quick search just now, I see that there are some European DVDs of the movie (I think) as well as a TV series:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tripods-John-Shackley/dp/B000059H2E/ http://www.amazon.com/Tripods-Regions-John-Shackley/dp/B000R21294
    These DVDs seem to be of a British TV show rather than a a movie, and they are region 2 & 4 (they won't play in the US except with a region-free player; they are also in PAL format, whereas the US uses the NTSC standard). I might have been remembering the movie wrong, and perhaps it was this TV show that we had rented. Does anyone know if there is a US version of this TV show or a movie?

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion BBS - digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Nightfox on Sat Mar 29 10:12:00 2014
    Re: John Christopher's Tripod Trilogy
    By: Nightfox to All on Fri Mar 28 2014 20:03:43

I read John Christopher's Tripod Trilogy in school when I was a kid. I enjo
    yed
    the books. Soon after reading the first book, I was in a video rental store with my dad and happened to find a movie based on the first book. I seem to remember it being produced by Sony Pictures. I thought it followed the book fairly well and was a good rendition overall. Doing a quick search just now
    , I

I had read that when I was in elementary school, also. I remember seeing bits and pieces of it on PBS at times when I was younger, but I never managed to catch the whole thing. I'll have to try to catch it at some point. I really loved the book series, that's for sure. I still remember vividly some of the scenes from it. :)

-- Greetings, NSA, and best wishes

---
    ■ Synchronet
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Khelair on Sat Mar 29 11:28:01 2014
    By: Khelair to Nightfox on Sat Mar 29 2014 06:12:00

I had read that when I was in elementary school, also. I remember
    seeing bits and pieces of it on PBS at times when I was younger, but I never managed to catch the whole thing. I'll have to try to catch it at some point. I really loved the book series, that's for sure. I still remember vividly some of the scenes from it. :)

They were fun stories for sure. I remember thinking that the movie I saw based on the first book followed the book pretty much exactly as I remembered the book, except they made the tripods look different than I had imagined.. Would be interesting to find that movie again.

Nightfox

---
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Nightfox on Sun Mar 30 22:57:54 2014
    By: Nightfox to Khelair on Sat Mar 29 2014 07:28:01

They were fun stories for sure. I remember thinking that the movie I saw ba
    sed
    on the first book followed the book pretty much exactly as I remembered the book, except they made the tripods look different than I had imagined.. Wou
    ld
    be interesting to find that movie again.

Yeah, I'm kind of thinking of looking up the torrents as soon as I've got some decent drivespace back online again. ;) I really want to find the books again, though... I wouldn't mind finding some of those Tom Swift scifi books, either. Those were damn good for kiddie books.

-- Greetings, NSA, and best wishes

---
    ■ Synchronet
  • From bcw142@VERT/FATCATS to Nightfox on Thu Apr 3 22:24:06 2014
    By: Nightfox to Khelair on Sat Mar 29 2014 07:28:01

The Tripods was a British TV series that ran for a few years based on the books I saw it on PBS years ago. I haven't seen it released on video. Check Wikipedia under The_Tripods_(TV_series), seems it was released on DVD 23 March 2009 as Region 2 which won't play here (US). Also says the Movie hasn't been finished yet.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ fatcats bbs - fatcatsbbs.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to bcw142 on Thu Apr 3 17:10:33 2014
    The Tripods was a British TV series that ran for a few years based on the books I saw it on PBS years ago. I haven't seen it released on video. Check Wikipedia under The_Tripods_(TV_series), seems it was released on DVD 23 March 2009 as Region 2 which won't play here (US). Also says the Movie hasn't been finished yet.

I found some of that series. I've watched just a few little clips of it, but it's not what I remember seeing before - What I rented a long time ago was a feature-length movie based on the first book.

Nightfox

---