• Podcast interview with Jason Scott about the history of BBSes and more

From Digital Man@VERT to All on Thu Oct 29 21:16:39 2015
    This is worth a listen: http://www.thestandarddeviant.com/the-standard-deviant-podcast/2015/10/19/12-ja son-scott-on-the-history-and-cultural-significance-of-bbss

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #17:
    Rob Swindell first learned to program in C by hacking on WWIV BBS software. Norco, CA WX: 79.4°F, 30.0% humidity, 5 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Digital Man on Fri Oct 30 13:39:42 2015
    Re: Podcast interview with Jason Scott about the history of BBSes and more
    By: Digital Man to All on Thu Oct 29 2015 17:16:39

This is worth a listen: http://www.thestandarddeviant.com/the-standard-deviant-podcast/2015/10/19/ 12-ja son-scott-on-the-history-and-cultural-significance-of-bbss

I listened to that last night. I thought it was fairly interesting, particularly what he was saying about information about older technologies and stories being lost on younger generations (but we do have lots of cool new advances in technology today).

I also thought it was interesting that he brought up the point that trying to search for BBS-related information on the internet brought up basically nothing. It was indeed a little strange that not much information on BBSes was available on the internet for a little while, since BBSing was only just starting to fade at the time. These days it seems like it's a bit easier to find information on BBSing and BBSes online, since there are sysops who have set up new systems.

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Fri Oct 30 22:30:24 2015
    By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Fri Oct 30 2015 09:39 am

I also thought it was interesting that he brought up the point that trying to search for BBS-related information on the internet brought up basically nothing. It was indeed a little strange that not much information on BBSes

yeah it's strange because he got a lot of his stuff from the internet, and those a lot of those sites are still serving up the files.

what jason did was an create an excellent one stop shop website for other people's stuff.

i'm not saying he didnt put in a lot of work and time, but he's not the beginning and the end of it all.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Lith@VERT/ASIRTA to Mro on Sat Oct 31 01:58:35 2015
    By: Mro to Nightfox on Fri Oct 30 2015 06:30 pm

i'm not saying he didnt put in a lot of work and time, but he's not the beginning and the end of it all.

I thought his bbs documentary was very good and I'm glad somone took the time to interview people who were part of the BBS scene. It brought back alot of memories and sparked me to look at BBSs again.

Just wish he would of talked about Roland and VBBS. Since VBBS was flippin awesome :-b

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ asirta.com - Music / DJ Gear / Event Information - asirta.com
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to Mro on Sat Oct 31 12:38:14 2015
    By: Mro to Nightfox on Fri Oct 30 2015 06:30 pm

Wish I could understand why you are so consumed with adding ridiculous comments like this to pretty much any message thread that mentions the name "Jason Scott."

--Josh

////--------------------------------------------------
    BiC -=- http://breakintochat.com -=- bbs wiki and blog

---
    ■ Synchronet
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Lith on Sat Oct 31 14:47:57 2015
    By: Lith to Mro on Fri Oct 30 2015 09:58 pm

I thought his bbs documentary was very good and I'm glad somone took the time to interview people who were part of the BBS scene. It brought back alot of memories and sparked me to look at BBSs again.

Just wish he would of talked about Roland and VBBS. Since VBBS was flippin awesome :-b

look at the bbs documentary again.

all those interviews and the max most people
    got was 1 or 2 minutes on screen. he said he was going to release them all but he never did. the ones that got the most time were his handful of friends. i dont know what the story behind that is, maybe he had some film become damaged.

---
  • From Jahmas@VERT/JAHMAS to Lith on Sat Oct 31 22:25:07 2015

Did you know that Roland went blind? I think his vision was failing when he was coding VADV etc. Steve Winn actually found him and I believe made an offer for the source code to Virtual Advanced BBS.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Alpha Centauri BBS - Cape Cod Massachusetts
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Jahmas on Sun Nov 1 21:52:28 2015
    By: Jahmas to Lith on Sat Oct 31 2015 06:25 pm

Re: Podcast interview with Jason Scott about the history of BBSes and
    more

Did you know that Roland went blind? I think his vision was failing when he was coding VADV etc. Steve Winn actually found him and I believe made an offer for the source code to Virtual Advanced BBS.

i dont think roland was totally blind. also i know a guy that was there when roland found out that his computer crashed, losing all the source code to vadv. he picked it up and threw it in the middle of the floor.

it's not the computer's fault. the guy should have fucking backed up.

---
  • From Lith@VERT/ASIRTA to Jahmas on Sun Nov 1 21:43:48 2015

Yeah, I read the VADV BBS wiki. Roland was a great software engineer. VBBS was logically planned out and it felt like everything was in the right place with the software. How the network functioned and the default system colors were spot on.

I ran VADV some years back with Steve's add-ons (same as my current domain) and hope one day he can get the source and convert the code to a modern language. Steve's programs are good as well. My old system ran 2-3 years, always on, with little problems running the software. Hope Roland is still doing well as well.

lith,

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ asirta.com - Music / DJ Gear / Event Information - asirta.com
  • From Jahmas@VERT/JAHMAS to Lith on Mon Nov 2 22:44:21 2015
    Re: Re: Podcast interview with Jason Scott about the history of BBSes and
    By: Lith to Jahmas on Sun Nov 01 2015 04:43 pm

Yeah, I read the VADV BBS wiki. Roland was a great software engineer. VBBS was logically planned out and it felt like everything was in the right place with the software. How the network functioned and the default system colors were spot on.

I ran VADV some years back with Steve's add-ons (same as my current domain) and hope one day he can get the source and convert the code to a modern language. Steve's programs are good as well. My old system ran 2-3 years, always on, with little problems running the software. Hope Roland is still doing well as well.

I am still running VADV. I remember when I was running WWIV and things just fell apart with the network. VADV was wonderful and Steve was trying to resurrect a network which was a combination of ACnet and AspectNet. at the time. Steve used an FTP server for message tossing which worked fairly well for the defunct VirtualNet. I believe that we had AT2K, Moonbase Alpha, Diamondmine Online and my board Mysteria Majicka all linked up. Then Douglas Conner managed to relay this with Eli Sandford and some WWIV folks. Basically BBS's were on the way out and yet DoveNet was the glue that was pulling Synch sysops together.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Alpha Centauri BBS - Cape Cod Massachusetts