• Episode 18: FBiPhone hack

From Digital Man@VERT to TechDorks on Tue Mar 1 08:52:57 2016
    More from your friendly Dorks o' Tech: http://mp3.techdorks.net/episodes/techdorks-2016-03-01-ep18.mp3

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #1:
    Synchronet version 2 for DOS and OS/2 was released to the public domain in 1997.
    Norco, CA WX: 56.6°F, 79.0% humidity, 0 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Digital Man on Wed Mar 2 02:26:00 2016
    Re: Episode 18: FBiPhone hack
    By: Digital Man to TechDorks on Tue Mar 01 2016 03:52:57

More from your friendly Dorks o' Tech: http://mp3.techdorks.net/episodes/techdorks-2016-03-01-ep18.mp3

Interesting discussion of the Apple vs. FBI issue. I suppose it makes sense that the government probably can legally get a warrant and have Apple do what they want.. Seems to me like, as others have said, it could set a dangerous precident for privacy though.

Also regarding the Lego Stratocaster - I've seen a lot of debate about how the guitar's material can affect the sound.. For an electric guitar, I've always thought the type of wood shouldn't make much difference (and I've had a hard time telling the difference), but I suppose I'm not surprised that one made from legos might not sound as good as one made from wood.

Not too long ago, I saw this video about a Stratocaster made with cardboard (and made by Fender):
    https://youtu.be/7Oo2H-W7d6A

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Nightfox on Wed Mar 2 16:40:04 2016
    By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Tue Mar 01 2016 09:26 pm

By: Digital Man to TechDorks on Tue Mar 01 2016 03:52:57

Interesting discussion of the Apple vs. FBI issue. I suppose it makes sense that the government probably can legally get a warrant and have Apple do what they want.. Seems to me like, as others have said, it could set a dangerous precident for privacy though.

But Deuce's point, and I think I agree: with a warrant, the government can invade any kind of privacy you enjoy. Why would encrypted data on a cellphone be any different? If you had a boobie-trapped safe, I'm pretty sure the government could get a warrant to defeat the boobie-trap and get inside to see what's there. Very similar to a locked iPhone.

Also regarding the Lego Stratocaster - I've seen a lot of debate about how the guitar's material can affect the sound.. For an electric guitar, I've always thought the type of wood shouldn't make much difference (and I've had a hard time telling the difference), but I suppose I'm not surprised that one made from legos might not sound as good as one made from wood.

Well, to be fair, the video I saw of the lego-strat wasn't recorded with very good audio/mics, so it might sound better than portrayed on the video (and hey, it's not a strat after-all): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU7Rw6QNHJM

But the pickups on a guitar pick up the resonating wood (along with the strings) and the strings resonate differently depending on the wood they're suspended over (especially the neck since that's the majority of the surface the strings are suspended over). Perhaps it's minute, but there are differences. I definitely can hear the difference between a Les Paul, a Stratocaster, Telecaster, and a hollow-body Gibson. How much of that is the type of wood, the style/design, or the electronics, I don't know.

Not too long ago, I saw this video about a Stratocaster made with cardboard (and made by Fender):
    https://youtu.be/7Oo2H-W7d6A

Impressive! Don't get it wet though!

Glad to know someone's listening still! :-)

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #66:
    SEXYZ is as a 32-bit replacement for [F]DSZ, CE-XYZ and other protocol drivers. Norco, CA WX: 72.7°F, 39.0% humidity, 3 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Digital Man on Wed Mar 2 23:39:35 2016
    By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Wed Mar 02 2016 11:40:04

Interesting discussion of the Apple vs. FBI issue. I suppose it makes
    sense that the government probably can legally get a warrant and have
    Apple do what they want.. Seems to me like, as others have said, it
    could set a dangerous precident for privacy though.

But Deuce's point, and I think I agree: with a warrant, the government can invade any kind of privacy you enjoy. Why would encrypted data on a cellphone be any different? If you had a boobie-trapped safe, I'm pretty sure the government could get a warrant to defeat the boobie-trap and get inside to see what's there. Very similar to a locked iPhone.

Yeah, that make sense.. I suppose encrypted data on a cell phone isn't that much different from anything else that's locked.

Well, to be fair, the video I saw of the lego-strat wasn't recorded with very good audio/mics, so it might sound better than portrayed on the video (and hey, it's not a strat after-all): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU7Rw6QNHJM

That's cool.. It actually sounds a bit better than I would have expected for a lego guitar.

But the pickups on a guitar pick up the resonating wood (along with the strings) and the strings resonate differently depending on the wood they're suspended over (especially the neck since that's the majority of the surface the strings are suspended over). Perhaps it's minute, but there are differences. I definitely can hear the difference between a Les Paul, a Stratocaster, Telecaster, and a hollow-body Gibson. How much of that is the type of wood, the style/design, or the electronics, I don't know.

Yeah, I'm sure the body & neck material affect the resonance. Seems to me that the electronics have a significant effect on the sound though. I've done some tinkering with electric guitars, swapping out pickups & stuff, and different pickups and electronics can make quite a noticeable difference in the sound.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Digital Man on Thu Mar 3 00:11:31 2016
    By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Wed Mar 02 2016 11:40:04

Glad to know someone's listening still! :-)

I always look forward to the next TechDorks episode. :)

Nightfox

---
  • From Deuce@VERT/SYNCNIX to Digital Man on Thu Mar 3 05:41:04 2016
    By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Wed Mar 02 2016 11:40 am

Sure, the question is if they could make SuperSafes Inc. send someone to personally disable the booby trap, or if they could only request the existing information on how to do it themselves.

What if they guy at SuperSafes quit instead of disabling the booby trap, would the government then force him to go back to work?

The difference is between getting access to existing information vs. forcing a company not involved in the crime in any way to do something they don't want to and aren't in the business of doing.

The ability of the courts to compel anyone to do anything is a bit too much power in my opinion.

---
    http://DuckDuckGo.com/ a better search engine that respects your privacy.
    Mro is an idiot. Please ignore him, we keep hoping he'll go away.
    ■ Synchronet ■ My Brand-New BBS (All the cool SysOps run STOCK!)
  • From Mickey@VERT/OXFORDMI to Nightfox on Thu Mar 3 13:58:04 2016

OK ok, what am I reading here? Let me try and understand.
    Someone here has a Stratocaster made from LEGO, and it doesn't sound right?

SynchroNET 3.15
    Oxford Mills Remote > oxfordmi.synchro.net:23
    === === ===
    FidoNET 1:249/307 * MusicalNET * DoveNET

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Oxford Mills Remote - manning.webhop.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Mickey on Thu Mar 3 23:10:48 2016
    By: Mickey to Nightfox on Thu Mar 03 2016 08:58 am

Someone on youtube, yeah. The first one I saw actually wasn't a Stratocaster. I mean, neither is the Lego-one really, but it kind of looks like a Stratocaster. ... made from legos. :-)

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #28:
    Rob Swindell first called BBSes (at 300bps) with an Apple II computer in 1982. Norco, CA WX: 63.5°F, 70.0% humidity, 4 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Mickey on Sat Mar 5 05:40:01 2016

dont leave it on the floor because if you step on it barefoot you will have a bad time.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Mickey@VERT/OXFORDMI to Mro on Sat Mar 5 18:57:04 2016

Someone here has a Stratocaster made from LEGO, and it doesn't sound
    right?

dont leave it on the floor because if you step on it barefoot you will have a bad time.

At the very least, you would probably break your Lego E string.

:-)

Mickey

SynchroNET 3.15
    Oxford Mills Remote > oxfordmi.synchro.net:23
    === === ===
    FidoNET 1:249/307 * MusicalNET * DoveNET

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Oxford Mills Remote - manning.webhop.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to All on Tue Dec 5 06:27:25 2017
    By: Digital Man to TechDorks on Tue Mar 01 2016 03:52 am

If you have a question or comment that you want us to play and (possibly) respond to on the next TechDorks podcast episode (yes, there will be a "next" episode), call and leave a voicemail message at 951-523-7535 (any hour of the day/night is fine).

Alternatively, you can post a question or comment here with a title of "TechDorks: Please read", or upload a recording of your question/comment to ftp.synchro.net/incoming or email to rob {at} techdorks {dot} net.

We look forward to your participation,

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #44:
    Synchronet added JavaScript suppport with v3.10a (2001).
    Norco, CA WX: 54.1°F, 19.0% humidity, 8 mph SW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to Digital Man on Tue Dec 5 18:48:42 2017
    Re: TechDorks podcast
    By: Digital Man to All on Tue Dec 05 2017 01:27 am

next TechDorks podcast episode (yes, there will be a "next" episode)

Glad to hear. I had been wondering about that!

--Josh

////--------------------------------------------------
    BiC -=- http://breakintochat.com -=- bbs wiki and blog

---
    ■ Synchronet
  • From Roadhog@VERT/OUTWEST to Digital Man on Wed Dec 6 04:36:28 2017

If you have a question or comment that you want us to play and (possibly) respond to on the next TechDorks podcast episode (yes, there will be a "next" episode), call and leave a voicemail message at 951-523-7535 (any hour of the day/night is fine).

Would this be sort of like John and Kens Moist line? can I call drunk?

"... What happens when you get scared half to death.....twice?"

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ the Outwest BBS - outwestbbs.com Telnet - outwestbbs.com:23
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Roadhog on Wed Dec 6 16:43:24 2017
    By: Roadhog to Digital Man on Tue Dec 05 2017 11:36 pm

I'm not familiar with John and Ken. <shrug> I think I got the idea for Nick The Rat. Call however you like. :-)

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #90:
    Synchronet/DSZ "hack" of '93: http://wiki.synchro.net/history:hack93
    Norco, CA WX: 70.6°F, 10.0% humidity, 7 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Roadhog@VERT/OUTWEST to Digital Man on Thu Dec 7 04:09:20 2017
    By: Digital Man to Roadhog on Wed Dec 06 2017 11:43 am

I'm not familiar with John and Ken. <shrug> I think I got the idea for Nick The Rat. Call however you like. :-)

John and Ken are on KFI 640 AM from 2pm - 6pm if you listen to their friday show they do 2 segments of callers calling in usually drunk or stoned.
    and they call it the moist line.

"... Behind every good computer - is a jumble of wire."

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Digital Man on Thu Dec 14 15:14:05 2017
    Question? no, not really but actually discovered your podcast from this post. Downloaded a few and actually like it. I'm staying subscribed :-)

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ MtlGeek - Geeks in Montreal - http://mtlgeek.com/ -
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Ennev on Thu Dec 14 14:13:35 2017
    Re: Re: TechDorks podcast
    By: Ennev to Digital Man on Thu Dec 14 2017 10:14 am

Question? no, not really but actually discovered your podcast from this post. Downloaded a few and actually like it. I'm staying subscribed :-)

Cool. It's been a long while now since we've produced an episode, but plan on doing one soon.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #66:
    Synchronet was conceived of and mostly developed in southern California.
    Norco, CA WX: 73.3°F, 12.0% humidity, 12 mph S wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Denn@VERT/OUTWEST to Digital Man on Sun Dec 17 04:40:10 2017
    By: Digital Man to Ennev on Thu Dec 14 2017 09:13 am

Question? no, not really but actually discovered your podcast from
    this post. Downloaded a few and actually like it. I'm staying

Cool. It's been a long while now since we've produced an episode, but plan on doing one soon.

I listened to alot of episodes about a year ago, to Me it would be better if each podcast you did a specific subject on Synchronet BBS's etc.. and maybe had a message base or email address where we could ask questions that you could answer in your podcast i.e. user feedback and help.
    I love synchronet but I am sure there are several features that I just have not discovered yet.
    you Techdorks rock.

"... The backup's not over 'til the FAT table sings"

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Denn on Sun Dec 17 17:35:06 2017
    By: Denn to Digital Man on Sat Dec 16 2017 11:40 pm

By: Digital Man to Ennev on Thu Dec 14 2017 09:13 am

Question? no, not really but actually discovered your podcast from
    this post. Downloaded a few and actually like it. I'm staying

I listened to alot of episodes about a year ago, to Me it would be better if each podcast you did a specific subject on Synchronet BBS's etc.. and maybe had a message base or email address where we could ask questions that you could answer in your podcast i.e. user feedback and help.

You can ask right here (or send me an email if you prefer). And posted the phone number if you would like to leave a a voicemail with a question or comment: 951-523-7535

I love synchronet but I am sure there are several features that I just have not discovered yet.
    you Techdorks rock.

Cool, thanks!

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #19:
    Oh then, maybe it's not green. Anyway this is what I sleep in sometimes.
    Norco, CA WX: 64.2°F, 21.0% humidity, 4 mph SW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Denn@VERT/OUTWEST to Digital Man on Tue Dec 19 04:24:46 2017
    By: Digital Man to Denn on Sun Dec 17 2017 12:35 pm

I listened to alot of episodes about a year ago, to Me it would be
    better if each podcast you did a specific subject on Synchronet BBS's
    etc.. and maybe had a message base or email address where we could ask
    questions that you could answer in your podcast i.e. user feedback and
    help.

You can ask right here (or send me an email if you prefer). And posted the phone number if you would like to leave a a voicemail with a question or comment: 951-523-7535

Ok one thing I don't know much about is Baja I would love to hear you guy's going over the basic's of Baja and it's uses.
    I guess first off I will head to the Wiki to see what's already there about Baja, but would love to hear you Dorks :) discussing what it is and it's tie into Synchronet, and I mean Dorks in a good way lol.

"... Ultimate office automation: networked coffee machines."

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Denn on Tue Dec 19 21:46:19 2017
    By: Denn to Digital Man on Mon Dec 18 2017 11:24 pm

By: Digital Man to Denn on Sun Dec 17 2017 12:35 pm

I listened to alot of episodes about a year ago, to Me it would be
    better if each podcast you did a specific subject on Synchronet BBS's
    etc.. and maybe had a message base or email address where we could ask
    questions that you could answer in your podcast i.e. user feedback and
    help.

Ok one thing I don't know much about is Baja I would love to hear you guy's going over the basic's of Baja and it's uses.
    I guess first off I will head to the Wiki to see what's already there about Baja, but would love to hear you Dorks :) discussing what it is and it's tie into Synchronet, and I mean Dorks in a good way lol.

Sure, Baja, got it. :-)

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #2:
    Nigel Tufnel: Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".
    Norco, CA WX: 63.0°F, 39.0% humidity, 3 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---