• well known shareware DOOM Game

From Internetking@VERT/INETK to all on Mon Aug 27 02:09:12 2018
    you all hear its back... this time re-mastered for xbox... it is in xbox
    store for xbox 1... its free with game pass or 19.99 without pass or want
    to own it.

--

(----------) Nathaniel Prugh (--------------------------)

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Internetking BBS - inetk.synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Internetking on Mon Aug 27 13:53:28 2018
    Re: well known shareware DOOM Game
    By: Internetking to all on Sun Aug 26 2018 10:09 pm

you all hear its back... this time re-mastered for xbox... it is in xbox store for xbox 1... its free with game pass or 19.99 without pass or want to own it.

I'm used to playing that kind of game on a PC (which it was originally made for). I've found it hard to play first-parson shooters on a console system.

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Internetking@VERT/INETK to Nightfox on Wed Aug 29 05:23:51 2018
    On Mon, 27 Aug 2018, Nightfox wrote:

you all hear its back... this time re-mastered for xbox... it is in xbox store for xbox 1... its free with game pass or 19.99 without pass or want to own it.

I'm used to playing that kind of game on a PC (which it was originally made for). I've found it hard to play first-parson shooters on a console system.

yeah, I used to play DOOM on the pc as well but curious what look like on
    xbox tho... :-D

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Internetking BBS - inetk.synchro.net
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Internetking on Thu Sep 6 10:45:30 2018
    Re: Re: well known shareware DOOM Game
    By: Internetking to Nightfox on Wed Aug 29 2018 01:23 am

yeah, I used to play DOOM on the pc as well but curious what look like on xbox tho... :-D

Have you seen the new gameplay trailer for Doom: Eternal? OMG! I'm buying a new PC for that one!
    --
    Android8675@ShodansCore

... A fail-safe circuit will destroy others.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Shodan's Core @ ShodansCore.com
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Android8675 on Fri Sep 7 02:02:57 2018
    By: Android8675 to Internetking on Thu Sep 06 2018 06:45 am

By: Internetking to Nightfox on Wed Aug 29 2018 01:23 am

yeah, I used to play DOOM on the pc as well but curious what look like on xbox tho... :-D

Have you seen the new gameplay trailer for Doom: Eternal? OMG! I'm buying a new PC for that one!

i just watched some of the video. he stabbed out his heart and shoved it down his throat.

what kind of computer do you need for that? do you really need to update?

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Android8675 on Fri Sep 7 12:26:36 2018

I built my current desktop PC in 2011.. It still does the job for me, but I may end up building a new one in a little while.

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Fri Sep 7 21:10:46 2018
    By: Nightfox to Android8675 on Fri Sep 07 2018 08:26 am

I built my current desktop PC in 2011.. It still does the job for me, but I may end up building a new one in a little while.

just buy one. it's cheaper

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Fri Sep 7 21:18:58 2018
    By: MRO to Nightfox on Fri Sep 07 2018 05:10 pm

I built my current desktop PC in 2011.. It still does the job for me,
    but I may end up building a new one in a little while.

I don't mind buying a pre-made PC, but I like being able to choose the parts I put in my PC and building it myself. It's not always about the money. Plus I am in a position where I can get a discount on certain PC parts, so that helps.

Nightfox

---
  • From Hawkeye@VERT/MASHBBS to Nightfox on Sat Sep 8 17:36:51 2018
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Fri Sep 07 2018 17:18:58

If you are shopping/looking in the low/mid range market yes, in the enthousiast/workstation/HEDT market, no.

HAWKEYE

- MASH BBS - mash4077.ddns.net - The Netherlands -

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ MASH BBS - mash4077.ddns.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Hawkeye on Sun Sep 9 21:18:53 2018
    By: Hawkeye to Nightfox on Sat Sep 08 2018 01:36 pm

If you are shopping/looking in the low/mid range market yes, in the enthousiast/workstation/HEDT market, no.

It was Mro who wrote that.. You should probably be replying to him rather than me. He might not see your reply unless he's scanning for all new messages.

Nightfox

---
  • From Hawkeye@VERT/MASHBBS to Nightfox on Mon Sep 10 17:09:24 2018
    By: Nightfox to Hawkeye on Sun Sep 09 2018 17:18:53

It was Mro who wrote that.. You should probably be replying to him rather than me. He might not see your reply unless he's scanning for all new messages.

I choose reply and why does the system not automatically choose him but you? I dont get it.

HAWKEYE

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Hawkeye on Mon Sep 10 16:05:19 2018
    By: Hawkeye to Nightfox on Mon Sep 10 2018 01:09 pm

By: Nightfox to Hawkeye on Sun Sep 09 2018 17:18:53

I choose reply and why does the system not automatically choose him but you? I dont get it.

If you're replying to a reply, it's definitely possible to quote the wrong person.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #77:
    Rob Swindell still has dozens of BBS-related magazines in his possession. Norco, CA WX: 80.5°F, 55.0% humidity, 7 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Hawkeye on Mon Sep 10 17:05:35 2018
    By: Hawkeye to Nightfox on Mon Sep 10 2018 01:09 pm

It was Mro who wrote that.. You should probably be replying to him
    rather than me. He might not see your reply unless he's scanning for
    all new messages.

It looked like you were probably reading a message I wrote where I quoted him and replied to him, then you hit reply and it addressed the reply to my name because I was the one who wrote the message you were replying to.

Nightfox

---
  • From Hawkeye@VERT/MASHBBS to Digital Man on Wed Sep 12 15:45:10 2018
    By: Digital Man to Hawkeye on Mon Sep 10 2018 12:05:19

If you're replying to a reply, it's definitely possible to quote the wrong person.

Thanks for explaining. Also I now noticed in syncterm I dont see the first lines like subj/to/from so I'm not aware of this. I will try to remember this.

HAWKEYE

---
  • From Hawkeye@VERT/MASHBBS to Nightfox on Wed Sep 12 15:46:09 2018
    By: Nightfox to Hawkeye on Mon Sep 10 2018 13:05:35

It looked like you were probably reading a message I wrote where I quoted him and replied to him, then you hit reply and it addressed the reply to my name because I was the one who wrote the message you were replying to.

Yup thats what is happening :)

Just to let you know Im not a spambot :) hahaha...

HAWKEYE

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Hawkeye on Wed Sep 12 13:50:39 2018
    By: Hawkeye to Digital Man on Wed Sep 12 2018 11:45 am

If you're replying to a reply, it's definitely possible to quote the
    wrong person.

Thanks for explaining. Also I now noticed in syncterm I dont see the first lines like subj/to/from so I'm not aware of this. I will try to remember this.

Normally I see those lines, and I use SyncTerm. SyncTerm shouldn't have a problem with things like that.. Is there perhaps an issue with scrolling? Perhaps the BBS thinks you have a different page size and is scrolling those lines off the screen?

Nightfox

---
  • From Clifra@VERT/DOOBBS to MRO on Fri Sep 14 01:00:02 2018

---
    � Synchronet � ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

You can still build a gaming desktop/tower for a competive price compared to a prebuilt one. Plus you get to pick and choose the components. Some vendors will assemble them also. Big cost today is video cards. The crypto-miners have driven up the cost of high end video cards. I need a new video card for my gaming PC and when I looked the cost shocked me. Have not shopped them in years.

Clifra Jones
    Sysop, Days of Old BBS
    Hostname: daysofoldbbs.wilhartsolutions.com
    Protocols: Telnet, SSH (2222), HTTP

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Days of Old BBS Telnet/SSH(2222)/Web daysofoldbbs.wilhartsolutions.com
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Clifra on Fri Sep 14 01:45:57 2018
    By: Clifra to MRO on Thu Sep 13 2018 09:00 pm

---
    � Synchronet � ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

You can still build a gaming desktop/tower for a competive price compared to a prebuilt one. Plus you get to pick and choose the components. Some vendors will assemble them also. Big cost today is video cards. The crypto-miners have driven up the cost of high end video cards. I need a new video card for my gaming PC and when I looked the cost shocked me. Have not shopped them in years.

what i did was get a prebuilt one and then bought a video card and more memory. i saved myself hundreds of dollars. plus, i didnt have to spend time
    assembling the computer.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Fri Sep 14 13:50:58 2018
    By: MRO to Clifra on Thu Sep 13 2018 09:45 pm

what i did was get a prebuilt one and then bought a video card and more memory. i saved myself hundreds of dollars. plus, i didnt have to spend time assembling the computer.

Yeah, if you don't actually enjoy building your own PC, then that might be the way to go. I don't mind spending time building a PC, and I actually like choosing all the parts. One thing that always bugged me a bit about pre-built computers (at least from major manufacturers like Dell, HP, etc.) is they would often use some proprietary parts, or skimp on some parts. Even today, some pre-built PCs have some funky PC cases.. In 2009, I bought an HP desktop PC that had a case that had bays for some hot-swappable drives made by HP. I never used those bays, and eventually bought a standard PC case and transfered everything over to the new case. Plus I thought the standard PC case looked better..

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Sat Sep 15 13:34:51 2018
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Fri Sep 14 2018 09:50 am

Even today, some pre-built PCs have some funky PC cases.. In 2009, I bought an HP desktop PC that had a case that had bays for some hot-swappable drives made by HP. I never used those bays, and eventually bought a standard PC

if you're talking about those rails, you can attach them to other drives.

---
  • From Hawkeye@VERT/MASHBBS to mro on Sun Sep 16 01:55:54 2018
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Fri Sep 14 2018 09:50:58

what i did was get a prebuilt one and then bought a video card and more memory. i saved myself hundreds of dollars. plus, i didnt have to spend time assembling the computer.

I couldnt find a nice X99 prebuild system at the time I wanted a new PC. All those 1150 mainboards were having maximum 32 GB RAM while I wanted 64 GB for my VMWare/HyperV tasks. At this day even many brands dont offer 64 GB machines while I can still upgrade to quad channel 128 GB. Even the new 1151 mainboards offer up to 64 GB. Thats what I since many years have. I dont want less mem.

Next system will be the successor of X299.

The major brands dont offer those for normal prices as those are HEDT and workstation prices. I saved thousands of euros/dollars by building it myself. I have 2 NVMEs Samsung with 3000+ MB/s read and 2400 MB/s write. Most brands dont offer those in prebuilds.

HAWKEYE

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Mon Sep 17 21:14:04 2018
    By: MRO to Nightfox on Sat Sep 15 2018 09:34 am

Even today, some pre-built PCs have some funky PC cases.. In 2009, I
    bought an HP desktop PC that had a case that had bays for some
    hot-swappable drives made by HP. I never used those bays, and
    eventually bought a standard PC

if you're talking about those rails, you can attach them to other drives.

I'm not sure what rails you mean, as I never actually used HP's hot-swappable drive bays. But the case had a couple of doors that I think could fit a 3.5" or 2.5" hard drive. I don't know if it used rails or something else to slide the drives in there.

Nightfox

---
  • From Worthington@VERT/OUTWEST to Hawkeye on Sun Oct 14 16:27:30 2018
    By: Hawkeye to mro on Sat Sep 15 2018 09:55 pm

By: Nightfox to MRO on Fri Sep 14 2018 09:50:58
    The major brands dont offer those for normal prices as those are HEDT and workstation prices. I saved thousands of euros/dollars by building it myself. I have 2 NVMEs Samsung with 3000+ MB/s read and 2400 MB/s write. Most brands dont offer those in prebuilds.

Prebuilt computers can be really nice on the maintenance side of things, especially in the way of firmware for certain components. Not that it's impossible to find those things for a computer that you build yourself. Prebuilt just makes it easier to look in one place for all of your updates.

I do generally prefer bulding a computer myself though.

-W

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ the Outwest BBS - outwestbbs.com - Email denn@outwestbbs.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Worthington on Sun Oct 14 21:59:42 2018
    By: Worthington to Hawkeye on Sun Oct 14 2018 12:27 pm

Prebuilt computers can be really nice on the maintenance side of things, especially in the way of firmware for certain components. Not that it's impossible to find those things for a computer that you build yourself. Prebuilt just makes it easier to look in one place for all of your updates.

I've actually often thought it's easier to find firmware with a PC you build yourself. When you build your own computer, you're using all standard components, and that's particularly useful for motherboard firmware. I've always found BIOS updates & such easier to find when I know the motherboard I used to build my PC. With a pre-built PC, it seems it can be harder to find BIOS updates for the motherboard since it's not always easy to know what brand and model of motherboard they used, and they may be using their own custom motherboard. I suppose it's fine if they have your model of PC listed on their web site, but even then, I've found sometimes they could use the same or similar name for a computer model but it may use and AMR or Intel processor..

I've also found it fairly easy to find firmware updates for optical drives and such when I'm building my own PC.. although, the model of the drive is also usually listed in the Windows Device Manager.

Nightfox

---
  • From Hawkeye@VERT/MASHBBS to Worthington on Mon Oct 15 19:50:17 2018
    By: Worthington to Hawkeye on Sun Oct 14 2018 12:27:30

I do generally prefer bulding a computer myself though.

Correct till the company decides not to update that page anymore. That wasnt the issue for me. It was the choice of old components and the combination of components which I wanted and needed for my purpose was not available, and even some years later still isnt offered even with high end workstations. I'm not an average consumer. I wish had the option to buy a HP, Lenovo, Acer or Dell prebuild.

HAWKEYE

---
  • From Hawkeye@VERT/MASHBBS to Nightfox on Mon Oct 15 19:51:49 2018
    By: Nightfox to Worthington on Sun Oct 14 2018 17:59:42

what brand and model of motherboard they used, and they may be using their own custom motherboard. I suppose it's fine if they have your model of PC

Exactly my experience. They use custom mainboard which cannot be firmware upgraded while the 'normal' OEM version still got firmware updates.

HAWKEYE

---
  • From Lizard King@VERT/RUNDER to Hawkeye on Fri Oct 19 21:49:38 2018
    By: Hawkeye to Nightfox on Mon Oct 15 2018 15:51:49

Exactly my experience. They use custom mainboard which cannot be firmware upgraded while the 'normal' OEM version still got firmware updates.

Or some ridiculous way of mounting internal hard drives which would never fly for a serious case manufacturer.

I like buying high-end cases and fans; it pays off in the long run. I can decide what components I want to drop money on and spec everything out just how I want. Maybe I want more HD and less RAM in it, maybe I want a faster CPU. It's very hard to find what I'm looking for when I look for prebuilt systems.

LK

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Retro Underground - retrounderground.org:6423
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Lizard King on Mon Oct 22 14:00:14 2018
    By: Lizard King to Hawkeye on Fri Oct 19 2018 05:49 pm

Exactly my experience. They use custom mainboard which cannot be
    firmware upgraded while the 'normal' OEM version still got firmware
    updates.

Or some ridiculous way of mounting internal hard drives which would never fly for a serious case manufacturer.

Yep, I've seen some of those cases. And years ago, I saw some PCs that had expansion cards mounted sideways on some kind of riser card, which meant (probably) a custom motherboard and a custom case. And I've seen PCs with things like a combined sound card & modem on one card.

Nightfox

---
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Nightfox on Thu Oct 25 18:00:48 2018
    By: Nightfox to Lizard King on Mon Oct 22 2018 10:00 am

By: Lizard King to Hawkeye on Fri Oct 19 2018 05:49 pm

Exactly my experience. They use custom mainboard which cannot be
    firmware upgraded while the 'normal' OEM version still got firmware
    updates.

Or some ridiculous way of mounting internal hard drives which would
    never fly for a serious case manufacturer.

Yep, I've seen some of those cases. And years ago, I saw some PCs that had expansion cards mounted sideways on some kind of riser card, which meant (probably) a custom motherboard and a custom case. And I've seen PCs with things like a combined sound card & modem on one card.

There are some cool ITX cases out there that come with riser cards so you can install a dedicated (short) GPU card. Friend of mine built a system with a i7, 16gb ram and a 1080 ti, was about the size of a super nintendo. pretty sick.
    --
    Android8675@ShodansCore

... A straw vote only shows which way the hot air blows.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Shodan's Core @ ShodansCore.com