• battery drain

From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to NIGHTFOX on Sun Oct 13 14:36:00 2019
    The Millionaire recently mentioned that he wanted to have a mobile BBS, but it >as suggested that it's best to leave a BBS machine plugged into power all the t
    me so that it doesn't lose power. The Millionaire was concerned that leaving a
    tablet plugged into power all the time would damage the battery over time.

Is that still a thing? I leave my relatively moden laptop plugged in when it is not in use, and our laptops at work are always on the docking stations
    when not being lugged to meetings.

---
    ■ SLMR 2.1a ■ Beware Romulans baring GIFs.
    ■ Synchronet ■ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Dumas Walker on Sun Oct 13 18:46:24 2019
    Re: battery drain
    By: Dumas Walker to NIGHTFOX on Sun Oct 13 2019 10:36 am

me so that it doesn't lose power. The Millionaire was concerned that leavi a

Is that still a thing? I leave my relatively moden laptop plugged in when i is not in use, and our laptops at work are always on the docking stations when not being lugged to meetings.

pretty sure you should unplug it and let it run down periodically.

i had a laptop that i would keep plugged in all the time and battery went to shit.
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Dumas Walker on Sun Oct 13 19:45:00 2019
    Dumas Walker wrote to NIGHTFOX <=-

The Millionaire recently mentioned that he wanted to have a mobile BBS, but it
    as suggested that it's best to leave a BBS machine plugged into power all the t
    me so that it doesn't lose power. The Millionaire was concerned that leaving a

Is that still a thing? I leave my relatively moden laptop
    plugged in when it is not in use, and our laptops at work are
    always on the docking stations when not being lugged to meetings.

Yeah, I don't think leaving a laptop/tablet plugged in most of the
    time will hurt anything. Most of the stuff I do at home is on a
    laptop (6-7 years old) that is plugged in 90% of the time. It
    still has a reasonable battery life (several hours anyway).

... Behind every great man is an amazed mother-in-law!
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Lupine Furmen@VERT/FURFOL to MRO on Sun Oct 13 20:21:06 2019
    Re: Re: FSXNet
    By: MRO to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Oct 13 2019 14:35:02

i've had numerous deaf and/or non-sighted users over the years, too... you generally can't tell because the medium removes all the visuals and audio cues while placing everyone on the same level playing field with the same appearance from the other side of the screen...

Me, too - I had a deaf user donate a motherboard to my BBS when my old one fried, and as payment he just wanted to see the board and chat. Nice guy, he loved having a social medium he could participate in without any extra challenges.

i had a blind user and i made a command shell for his screen reader.
    i probably could have done a better job at it now that i think about it.

Are these special shells available somewhere? Might also be a good idea to include them in the SBBS distro.

Would like to add them to my system.

-Dallas Vinson
    Furmens Folly - telnet: loybbs.net:23
    SSH: loybbs.net:23222
    Before the Web - telnet: loybbs.net:23232
    Legends of Yesteryear - telnet: loybbs.net:23322

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Furmen's Folly - furmenservices.net:22
  • From Lupine Furmen@VERT/FURFOL to Rampage on Mon Oct 14 14:08:49 2019
    Re: FSXNet
    By: Rampage to Lupine Furmen on Mon Oct 14 2019 08:08:35

I wonder if utf-8 is the reason I keep getting message header errors when tossing dovenet messages.

it is not... think of UTF-8 as simply CP437 that takes one to four bytes to make a glyph... a glyph is the shape of the character...

those error messages are specifically about the dove-general message base files not existing in your setup... nothing to do with UTF-8 at all...

I've increased the maximum number of messages in the general echo to 2000, hopefully that will solve the issue soon.

-+-

-Dallas Vinson

---
  • From Lupine Furmen@VERT/FURFOL to Nightfox on Tue Oct 15 05:33:08 2019
    By: Nightfox to HusTler on Mon Oct 14 2019 13:48:36

Perhaps you meant electricity from the wall vs. solar? A lot of power plants still burn coal & such. Speaking of which, occasionally I hear about how nuclear technology has come a long way in being safer.

Would still prefer to have a simple fuel cell set up outside, and that only because we have not figured out how to harnes Zero Point energy yet, or to create a nice small Naquida generator. :)

-Dallas Vinson

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Lupine Furmen on Wed Oct 16 01:24:00 2019
    Re: Power sources
    By: Lupine Furmen to Nightfox on Tue Oct 15 2019 01:33 am

By: Nightfox to HusTler on Mon Oct 14 2019 13:48:36

Perhaps you meant electricity from the wall vs. solar? A lot of power plants still burn coal & such. Speaking of which, occasionally I hear ab how nuclear technology has come a long way in being safer.

Would still prefer to have a simple fuel cell set up outside, and that only because we have not figured out how to harnes Zero Point energy yet, or to create a nice small Naquida generator. :)

-Dallas Vinson

I can never find the answer, but are fuel cells temperature sensitive? Seems like the test houses for the technology are all in California. Would they have a problem operating in Minnesota winters?

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Vk3jed on Wed Oct 16 11:07:00 2019
    Vk3jed wrote to Nightfox <=-

I have seen ideas for new reactor types that are supposed to be safer
    and more tolerant to infrastructure failure (e.g. cooling pumps
    stopping). But for fission reactors, there is still the issue of
    nuclear waste. The ideal way to handle that is to use nuclear
    processes to break them down into more stable (and safer!) elements,
    which has the nice byproduct of acting as another type of nuclear fuel.
    But from what I've read, that would probably require a source of additional neutrons to stimulate the additional stage(s) of fission.

I'm no nuclear expert, but I do try and keep up with technologies.

I like the idea of shooting it off into the sun, but all it would take is
    one rocket full of Cesium exploding on launch to make for a really bad day.

... Where is the center of the maze?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Lupine Furmen@VERT/FURFOL to Moondog on Wed Oct 16 12:41:27 2019
    By: Moondog to Lupine Furmen on Tue Oct 15 2019 21:24:00

I can never find the answer, but are fuel cells temperature sensitive?
    Seems like the test houses for the technology are all in California. Would they have a problem operating in Minnesota winters?

I really don't know. I would think that as long as you can keep the water from freezing you should be ok. Since it's my understanding that how they work is they take ordinary water, split the molocule into it's 2 components, them burn the hydrogen portion to create energy.

-Dallas Vinson

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed Oct 16 17:39:00 2019
    Re: Nuclear Waste - was Re: F
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Vk3jed on Wed Oct 16 2019 07:07 am

Vk3jed wrote to Nightfox <=-

I have seen ideas for new reactor types that are supposed to be safer and more tolerant to infrastructure failure (e.g. cooling pumps stopping). But for fission reactors, there is still the issue of nuclear waste. The ideal way to handle that is to use nuclear processes to break them down into more stable (and safer!) elements, which has the nice byproduct of acting as another type of nuclear fuel.
    But from what I've read, that would probably require a source of additional neutrons to stimulate the additional stage(s) of fission.

I'm no nuclear expert, but I do try and keep up with technologies.

I like the idea of shooting it off into the sun, but all it would take is one rocket full of Cesium exploding on launch to make for a really bad day.

... Where is the center of the maze?

The TV series Space 1999 taught us the lesson not to store it on the moon.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Lupine Furmen on Wed Oct 16 17:55:00 2019
    By: Lupine Furmen to Moondog on Wed Oct 16 2019 08:41 am

By: Moondog to Lupine Furmen on Tue Oct 15 2019 21:24:00

I can never find the answer, but are fuel cells temperature sensitive? Seems like the test houses for the technology are all in California. Wou they have a problem operating in Minnesota winters?

I really don't know. I would think that as long as you can keep the water fr freezing you should be ok. Since it's my understanding that how they work is they take ordinary water, split the molocule into it's 2 components, them bu the hydrogen portion to create energy.

-Dallas Vinson

At some point you're putting so much energy back into keeping the process active, that amount of power you do yield is very low for the cost of
    producing it. Several years ago I was keeping an eye on a process called thermodepolymerization. This process converts organic feedstock back into
    oil through extreme heat and pressure without the several million year wait. The process was in fact very successful. however the plant is required to be very close to the source of bio stock to remain economic. The company partnered with Con Agra and built their plant next to a Butterball turkey processing facility in Missouri. They could produce 500 barrels of oil a day from 270 tons of turkey entrails and hog and 20 ton of hog lard. They
    facility outpaced local farms and the turkey plant, so bio stock had to be trucked in, and the folks who originally were paying for it to be hauled away were now asking money for it. This shut the plant down several years back.

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu Oct 17 14:19:00 2019
    On 10-16-19 07:07, poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Vk3jed <=-

I like the idea of shooting it off into the sun, but all it would take
    is one rocket full of Cesium exploding on launch to make for a really
    bad day.

That's actually a lot easier said than done. I doube there's arocket on the planet that could do the trip in one hit. Why? Because of the delta-V required. Just to get out of Earth's gravity takes around 11 km/S. But there's a problem, even if you fire the rocket in the direction opposite to the Earth's orbital movement (IIRC, a little over 100 km/S), you still have way too much orbital velocity to ever reach the sun. You would need to use the gravity of the inner planets to bleed off this energy, so the cargo could actually fall into the sun. While missions to Mercury and inner solar observations have used Earth in such manouvres, you probably wouldn't want to do that with nuclear waste for obvious (even if only PR rather than actual risk) reasons. ;) Oddly enougg, it would be cheaper to launch into deep space on a never to return trajectory (like New Horizons). By the time it reached another star system, the waste would likely be radiologically safe.

Anyway, such an endeavour would be costly and inefficient. And we haven't even covered the issue of launch failure. ;) Nuclear reprocessing by "burning" the spent fuel in a stream of neutrons here on Earth would be much cheaper and safer, and would yield further energy that could be put to good use.

... An experiment in Artificial Stupidity.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
    ■ Synchronet ■ Freeway BBS, Bendigo Australia. freeway.apana.org.au
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to Moondog on Thu Oct 17 00:57:45 2019

---

I was a huge fan of that show. :-)

$ The Millionaire $

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Moondog on Thu Oct 17 10:35:00 2019
    Moondog wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

The TV series Space 1999 taught us the lesson not to store it on the
    moon.

Wouldn't a thrust on the far side force the moon into the earth? People with no sense of orbital mechanics are dying to know.

I loved Space:1999, and as a kid remember the show UFO, which was sort of a precursor to Space:1999. Swoopy cars! Hip 1960s haircuts in the future!
    Purple hair and fishnets as a uniform! Moon Base!

And that submarine with a fighter jet on the front...

... I'll be unstoppable when I get started.
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to The Millionaire on Fri Oct 18 02:50:00 2019
    By: The Millionaire to Moondog on Wed Oct 16 2019 08:57 pm

---

I was a huge fan of that show. :-)

$ The Millionaire $

I was very young when it first aired. I recall seeing the cool Eagle shuttle toys in the Christmas catalogs. Last year I rediscovered the series on Youtube. Now on satellite there's two channels that replay the series on occa sion. The show was hit or miss, and I guess because I have been exposed to th e story lines on other TV series, some of it seems kind of cheesy from a moder n sci-fi point of view.

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Moondog on Fri Oct 18 22:41:00 2019
    On 10-16-19 13:39, Moondog wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

moon.

True! :D

... Famous last words: "I think the dragon's asleep "
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Oct 18 22:45:00 2019
    On 10-17-19 06:35, poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Moondog <=-

@VIA: VERT/REALITY

moon.

Wouldn't a thrust on the far side force the moon into the earth? People with no sense of orbital mechanics are dying to know.

Actually, not likely. It would more likely push the moon into an elliptical orbit with a lower perigee. But a thrust in opposition to the moon's motion WOULD result in a collision, if the thrust was strong enough for long enough. Taking away the moon's forward velocity would leave it free fall towards Earth under the influence of gravity. :)

I loved Space:1999, and as a kid remember the show UFO, which was sort
    of a precursor to Space:1999. Swoopy cars! Hip 1960s haircuts in the future! Purple hair and fishnets as a uniform! Moon Base!

I remember coming home from school to watch Space: 1999. I have watched it again in more recent times. Enjoyed the show. :)

Yep. :)

... BEWARE - Tagline Thief is in the area...
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Moondog on Fri Oct 18 09:58:00 2019
    Moondog wrote to The Millionaire <=-

I was very young when it first aired. I recall seeing the cool Eagle shuttle toys in the Christmas catalogs. Last year I rediscovered the series on Youtube. Now on satellite there's two channels that replay
    the series on occa sion. The show was hit or miss, and I guess because
    I have been exposed to th e story lines on other TV series, some of it seems kind of cheesy from a moder n sci-fi point of view.

Pretty amazing when you think they came up with different spaceships and different aliens every week. I remember reading a story about the modelers
    who had to keep up with that schedule.

Now, you have season 1 purists and season 2 revisionists. I liked the first season way more.

... When is it for?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Oct 18 13:35:53 2019
    Pretty amazing when you think they came up with different spaceships and different aliens every week. I remember reading a story about the modelers who had to keep up with that schedule.

Now, you have season 1 purists and season 2 revisionists. I liked the first season way more.

... When is it for?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52

I still remember the main actors/actresses in that show:

Martin Landau, Barbara Bain, Barry Morse

$ The Millionaire $

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Vk3jed on Fri Oct 18 13:51:10 2019
    Re: Re: Nuclear Waste - was Re: F
    By: Vk3jed to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Oct 18 2019 06:45 pm

Actually, not likely. It would more likely push the moon into an elliptical orbit with a lower perigee. But a thrust in opposition to the moon's motion WOULD result in a collision, if the thrust was strong enough for long enough. Taking away the moon's forward velocity would leave it free fall towards Earth under the influence of gravity. :)

The moon falling toward the earth is a scary thought. :)

I've heard the moon has actually been getting farther away from the earth over time. I wonder if that will ever start to have significant effects on the earth.. I've heard the moon's gravity affects the tides of oceans, for one.

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Oct 18 18:47:00 2019
    Re: Re: Nuclear Waste - was R
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Moondog on Thu Oct 17 2019 06:35 am

I loved Space:1999, and as a kid remember the show UFO, which was sort of a precursor to Space:1999. Swoopy cars! Hip 1960s haircuts in the future! Purple hair and fishnets as a uniform! Moon Base!

... I'll be unstoppable when I get started.

I read the set for Moonbase Aplha was supposedly built for a next generation version of UFO for when the story line goes from being a cold war with the ali ens to being a full war, however the series was cancelled before this new stor y line was deployed. 3 million pounds was spent, so they had a leverage
    piece in getting a new series made up to recoup that revenue. The investors wanted the entire series to take place in space.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Oct 18 19:12:00 2019
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Moondog on Fri Oct 18 2019 05:58 am

Moondog wrote to The Millionaire <=-

I was very young when it first aired. I recall seeing the cool Eagle shuttle toys in the Christmas catalogs. Last year I rediscovered the series on Youtube. Now on satellite there's two channels that replay the series on occa sion. The show was hit or miss, and I guess because I have been exposed to th e story lines on other TV series, some of it seems kind of cheesy from a moder n sci-fi point of view.

Pretty amazing when you think they came up with different spaceships and different aliens every week. I remember reading a story about the modelers who had to keep up with that schedule.

... When is it for?

It's interesting to view the evolution of the effects for Gerry Anderson programs over the years. Brian Johnson the miniature effects supervisor,
    went on to effects for Empire Strikes Back, and Aliens. They sure knew how
    to weather their models to look ral, and the concept of filming with a higher frame rate, then slowing it down helped make all the movements look smoother and of a larger scale.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to The Millionaire on Fri Oct 18 19:15:00 2019
    By: The Millionaire to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Oct 18 2019 09:35 am

Now, you have season 1 purists and season 2 revisionists. I liked the firs season way more.

... When is it for?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52

I still remember the main actors/actresses in that show:

Martin Landau, Barbara Bain, Barry Morse

$ The Millionaire $

Catherine Schell in Season 2 was hard to forget :)

She also appeared in On Her Majesty's Secret Service as on of the women Telly Savalas was brain washing.

---
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to Moondog on Fri Oct 18 21:30:23 2019
    By: The Millionaire to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Oct 18 2019 09:35 am

Catherine Schell in Season 2 was hard to forget :)

She also appeared in On Her Majesty's Secret Service as on of the women Telly Savalas was brain washing.

---

She also appeared in The Return Of The Pink Panther too with Peter Sellers. She was with Christopher Plummer in the movie. Her role was Lady Lytton.

$ The Millionaire $

---
  • From Zoohouse@VERT to MRO on Fri Oct 18 21:55:00 2019
    MRO wrote to Dumas Walker <=-

Is that still a thing? I leave my relatively moden laptop plugged in when i is not in use, and our laptops at work are always on the docking stations when not being lugged to meetings.

i had a laptop that i would keep plugged in all the time and battery
    went to shit.
    ---
    = Synchronet = ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

If you are using Nickle-based batteries then having the charger plugged in will have a negative effect on the battery for sure. You will suffer from the "memory effect".

If the battery is lithium-based then having it charged up all the time is better than running
    until empty.

This website answers the original question: https://batterycare.net/en/guide.html.
    If you prefer a quick video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF1hGT4z4y0.

--- MultiMail/Linux v0.49
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to Nightfox on Sat Oct 19 02:01:42 2019
    By: Nightfox to Vk3jed on Fri Oct 18 2019 09:51:10

I've heard the moon has actually been getting farther away from the earth over time.
    I wonder if that will ever start to have significant effects on the earth.. I've
    heard the moon's gravity affects the tides of oceans, for one.

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/our-solar-system/37-our-solar-system/the-moon/the-moon-and-the-earth/146-what-happens-to-the-earth-as-the-moon-gets-farther-away-and-will-it-ever-go-away-entirely-intermediate

or https://tinyurl.com/y2tpyd7o

)\/(ark

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR
  • From Lupine Furmen@VERT/FURFOL to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Oct 19 08:22:39 2019
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Moondog on Thu Oct 17 2019 06:35:00

Are you refering to "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" and it's Flying Sub?
    -+-

-Dallas Vinson

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Lupine Furmen on Sat Oct 19 12:11:00 2019
    Lupine Furmen wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

Are you refering to "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" and it's Flying
    Sub? -+-

No, UFO. Although we could have a whole 'nother thread to talk about the genius of Irwin Allen and his shows/movies.

In UFO they had a sub called SKY/DIVER that had a jet fighter on the front. They'd launch the fighter, it'd shoot through the water, burst into the air and fight the UFOs. Funny, they never showed it landing and re-attaching.

http://realitycheckbbs.org/images/skydiver.jpg

... How does this work, is there an orientation?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Nightfox on Sat Oct 19 12:31:00 2019
    Nightfox wrote to Vk3jed <=-

I've heard the moon has actually been getting farther away from the
    earth over time. I wonder if that will ever start to have significant effects on the earth.. I've heard the moon's gravity affects the tides
    of oceans, for one.

As a kid I'd heard that the rotation of the moon is slowing, and that in millions of years the moon could come close enough to reach Roche's limit
    and break up into a ring around the earth.

... Consider transitions
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Lupine Furmen on Sat Oct 19 18:54:00 2019
    By: Lupine Furmen to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Oct 19 2019 04:22 am

By: poindexter FORTRAN to Moondog on Thu Oct 17 2019 06:35:00

Are you refering to "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" and it's Flying Sub? -+-

-Dallas Vinson

He's referring to UFO, a Gerry Anderson program. It was his first attempt witfh live action actors, however the miniature effects were just a step
    above the Thunderbirds and his other productions.

---
  • From The Millionaire@VERT to Moondog on Sun Oct 20 07:45:57 2019
    By: Lupine Furmen to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Oct 19 2019 04:22 am

He's referring to UFO, a Gerry Anderson program. It was his first attempt witfh live action actors, however the miniature effects were just a step above the Thunderbirds and his other productions.

---

Didn’t UFO have a guy named Straker on it? I vaguely remember that show now.

$ The Millionaire $

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Mon Oct 21 00:09:00 2019
    On 10-18-19 09:51, Nightfox wrote to Vk3jed <=-

True. :) Technically, it _is_ falling, but has so much sideways motion that it keeps missing Earth. :) That is the definition of an orbit.

I've heard the moon has actually been getting farther away from the
    earth over time. I wonder if that will ever start to have significant effects on the earth.. I've heard the moon's gravity affects the tides
    of oceans, for one.

True on both counts. The Moon is moving further away, but at a very slow rate, like maybe an inch per year. And the moon does cause the bulk of our tides (the sun has a smaller influence). And believe it or not, those two facts you stated are actually inter related!

The moon pulls a tidal bulge towards it. Now, the Earth is also rotating, which displaces the tidal bulge towards the direction of rotation. This has 2 effects. First, it slows the rotation of the Earth, as the tidal bulge moves. The second is that because the tidal bulge is always displaced "in front" of the point underneath the moon, the force of gravity acts in a slightly forward direction, causing the moon to go slightly faster than it would otherwise. This causes the moon's orbit to gradually increase altitude.

The net effect is the transfer of angular momentum from the rotating Earth to the moon's orbital motion. Some energy is also lost as heat in the flexing of the Earth's crust.

Go back to 4+ billion years when the moon was created, it orbited at an altitude estimated to be around 15000km, while the Earth rotated every 6 hours.
    Tides were tens to hundreds of metres high (once surface water came along) and raced across the surface at incredible speeds.

... Morality consists in suspecting other people of not being legally married. --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Oct 21 00:52:00 2019
    On 10-19-19 08:31, poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Nightfox <=-

As a kid I'd heard that the rotation of the moon is slowing, and that
    in millions of years the moon could come close enough to reach Roche's limit and break up into a ring around the earth.

The moon is clowing, but that's a byproduct of the increasing orbital altitude.
    The actual energy of the moon's orbit is increasing. Sometimes orbital mechanics can seem a little counterintuitive. :)

... The weirder you're going to behave, the more normal you should look.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Vk3jed on Sun Oct 20 23:55:32 2019
    By: Vk3jed to Nightfox on Sun Oct 20 2019 08:09 pm

True. :) Technically, it _is_ falling, but has so much sideways motion that it keeps missing Earth. :) That is the definition of an orbit.

Well yeah, that's true.. :) I just meant falling more straight down and crashing into the earth.

Go back to 4+ billion years when the moon was created, it orbited at an altitude estimated to be around 15000km, while the Earth rotated every 6 hours.
    Tides were tens to hundreds of metres high (once surface water came along) and raced across the surface at incredible speeds.

That would have been interesting to see.
    Maybe Jean-Luc Picard could tell us something about that.. Well I guess Q didn't actually transport him back in time quite that far (in the series finale of Star Trek: The Next Generation). :P

Nightfox

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Mon Oct 21 20:47:00 2019
    On 10-20-19 19:55, Nightfox wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Well yeah, that's true.. :) I just meant falling more straight down
    and crashing into the earth.

YeahI knew what you were getting at. :)

That would have been interesting to see.
    Maybe Jean-Luc Picard could tell us something about that.. Well I
    guess Q didn't actually transport him back in time quite that far (in
    the series finale of Star Trek: The Next Generation). :P

It might have been the turn of the tide. ;)

... The computer made me do it!
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
  • From Minex@VERT/TDOD to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed Oct 23 14:15:36 2019
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Nightfox on Sat Oct 19 2019 08:31 am

As a kid I'd heard that the rotation of the moon is slowing, and that in millions of years the moon could come close enough to reach Roche's limit and break up into a ring around the earth.

Reminds me of a book I am reading, "Seveneves".

The Dawn of Demise BBS (tdod.org)

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Dawn of Demise (tdod.org:5000)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Minex on Wed Oct 23 20:28:07 2019
    By: Minex to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed Oct 23 2019 10:15 am

Reminds me of a book I am reading, "Seveneves".

Interesting book, I couldn't put it down.

---
  • From Lupine Furmen@VERT/SESTAR to Moondog on Fri Oct 25 04:17:50 2019
    By: Moondog to Lupine Furmen on Sat Oct 19 2019 14:54:00

Are you refering to "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" and it's Flying
    Sub? -+-
    He's referring to UFO, a Gerry Anderson program. It was his first attempt

I remember the series, just didn't remember the fighter/sub combo.
    -Dallas Vinson

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Oct 25 16:46:08 2019
    By: Nightfox to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Oct 25 2019 12:41 pm

I don't think home appliances & things will all be required to be connected. I'd imagine (or hope) that there will still be non-connected appliances made for the forseeable future.

That said, I've been looking to buy & move into a different house recently, and I'm a little surprised at the number of houses that don't have any smart appliances. I've seen a few houses that have a smart thermostat, which I think would probably be the most useful thing - If you're at work and realize you forgot to change your thermostat settings, you could probably log in remotely and adjust it before you go home so that your house is at a more comfortable temperature.

I've seen a few houses that are wired for ethernet, but I'm surprised I've only seen a few. There was one house I was looking at that was newly constructed, and they said it was part of a group of houses that were "wifi certified" - The house had pre-installed wifi repeaters in the house that you could use to help boost your wifi signal throughout the house. I asked if they knew about installing ethernet, and they said something like "If you really need that, you can install it or an internet service tech might be able to help with that." It seems to me that ethernet is still (and probably will continue to be) faster and more reliable than wifi, so I'm a little surprised that ethernet isn't being pre-wired when new houses are built. It would be especially important for those of us who run BBSes at home and want a reliable connection.

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Fri Oct 25 19:55:58 2019
    Re: Smart homes
    By: Nightfox to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Oct 25 2019 12:46 pm

It seems to me that ethernet is still (and probably will continue to be) fas and more reliable than wifi, so I'm a little surprised that ethernet isn't being pre-wired when new houses are built. It would be especially important for those of us who run BBSes at home and want a reliable connection.

they could install inferior cable or over time the cable could go bad. what if a new cable came out that was even better than what we have now?

do what i did and drill a hole up from the basement along side the wall all the way up.
    then shoot your cable up and have the router and shit in the basement.
    ---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Fri Oct 25 19:10:40 2019
    By: MRO to Nightfox on Fri Oct 25 2019 03:55 pm

It seems to me that ethernet is still (and probably will continue to
    be) fas and more reliable than wifi, so I'm a little surprised that
    ethernet isn't being pre-wired when new houses are built. It would be
    especially important for those of us who run BBSes at home and want a
    reliable connection.

they could install inferior cable or over time the cable could go bad. what if a new cable came out that was even better than what we have now?

True.. Though that could be said for a lot of other things too.

do what i did and drill a hole up from the basement along side the wall all the way up.

Houses in my area haven't been built with basements in a long time. Aside from a house I used to live in that was built in the 1940s, I've never seen another house in my area with a basement.

Nightfox

---
  • From HusTler@VERT/HAVENS to Nightfox on Fri Oct 25 22:27:59 2019

I've seen a few houses that are wired for ethernet, but I'm surprised I've only seen a few. There was one house I was looking at that was newly constructed, and they said it was part of a group of houses that were "wifi certified" - The house had pre-installed wifi repeaters in the house that you could use to help boost your wifi signal throughout the house. I asked if they knew about installing ethernet, and they said something like "If you probably will continue to be) faster and more reliable than wifi, so I'm a little surprised that ethernet isn't being pre-wired when new houses are built. It would be especially important for those of us who run BBSes at home and want a reliable connection.

I don't think the cost of installing ethernet would be something people would be willing to pay for. Nobody wants to plug their devices into the wall to connect to the internet. People want wireless. I don't know what's going on in your state but here in New York 5G just rolled out. The future is wireless. Let's see what security issues will develope with all these wireless devices connecting to the internet. WoW!

Havens BBS

SysOp: HusTler

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Havens BBS havens.synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to HusTler on Fri Oct 25 23:22:51 2019
    By: HusTler to Nightfox on Fri Oct 25 2019 06:27 pm

I don't think the cost of installing ethernet would be something people would be willing to pay for. Nobody wants to plug their devices into the wall to connect to the internet. People want wireless. I don't know what's going on in your state but here in New York 5G just rolled out. The future is wireless. Let's see what security issues will develope with all these wireless devices connecting to the internet. WoW!

Wifi is convenient for portable devices & things, but still, a wired connection is still faster and more reliable, which is needed for some things. If I'm going to be running a server at home, such as a BBS, I'd like it to be on a fast and reliable connection. Ideally, that would be a wired ethernet connection.

I have a smart TV using wifi, and sometimes it won't connect to wifi when it turns on, for some reason. The TV also has an ethernet port, and it might be handy to use ethernet with it for a more reliable connection. I'm not going to be moving the TV around a lot, so it wouldn't really be an inconvenience to use ethernet with it.

As far as 5G - I'm not sure it would necessarily be good to have all my home devices connected to a cellular connection. I have a home network which I'd like to keep private from the public world so that people can't snoop around on my computer's files & things. Also I run a Plex server at home for movies & music to watch at home, and I wouldn't want that connected to a public 5G network. I'm pretty sure people will still want a private home network even with things like 5G available. 5G would be most useful for my cell phone when I'm out and about.

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Sat Oct 26 01:34:50 2019
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Fri Oct 25 2019 03:10 pm

Houses in my area haven't been built with basements in a long time. Aside f a house I used to live in that was built in the 1940s, I've never seen anoth house in my area with a basement.

that's too bad because they are good laundry rooms and storage.
    pretend your first level is your basement and drill a hole through the ceiling/floor in a closet to the upstairs
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to HusTler on Sat Oct 26 01:38:09 2019

be willing to pay for. Nobody wants to plug their devices into the wall to connect to the internet. People want wireless. I don't know what's going on your state but here in New York 5G just rolled out. The future is wireless. Let's see what security issues will develope with all these wireless devices connecting to the internet. WoW!

what if all this wireless shit everywhere is giving us cancer that will popup in 30 years
    ---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Sat Oct 26 00:35:06 2019
    By: MRO to Nightfox on Fri Oct 25 2019 09:34 pm

Yep. Houses where I am usually have a laundry room somewhere - If it's on the first floor, usually it's just inside from the garage. Sometimes the laundry room is in the 2nd floor.

pretend your first level is your basement and drill a hole through the ceiling/floor in a closet to the upstairs

I'd have a bad feeling about drilling through the ceiling/floor like that. Doesn't seem quite like the "right" way to do it.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Sat Oct 26 02:23:27 2019
    By: MRO to HusTler on Fri Oct 25 2019 09:38 pm

what if all this wireless shit everywhere is giving us cancer that will pop up in 30 years

We've had signals from radio, TV, wireless land line phones, & cell phones for a very long time. So far I'm not sure if it has added a significant cancer risk or not.

Nightfox

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Nightfox on Sat Oct 26 05:26:00 2019

By: Nightfox to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Oct 25 2019 12:41 pm

I don't think home appliances & things will all be required to be connected. I'd imagine (or hope) that there will still be non-connected appliances made for the forseeable future.

That said, I've been looking to buy & move into a different house recently,
    most useful thing - If you're at work and realize you forgot to change your

I've seen a few houses that are wired for ethernet, but I'm surprised I've o stalled wifi repeaters in the house that you could use to help boost your wi tech might be able to help with that." It seems to me that ethernet is stil ecially important for those of us who run BBSes at home and want a reliable

Nightfox

I consider ethernet wiring to be like how pulling coax for cable used to be years ago. It would make sense to pull coax to every room, however some builders would only do it if the customer asked for it. Wall location (which wall it's coming from) might be off in a default location scheme.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to MRO on Sat Oct 26 05:29:00 2019
    By: MRO to Nightfox on Fri Oct 25 2019 03:55 pm

It seems to me that ethernet is still (and probably will continue to be) and more reliable than wifi, so I'm a little surprised that ethernet isn' being pre-wired when new houses are built. It would be especially import for those of us who run BBSes at home and want a reliable connection.

they could install inferior cable or over time the cable could go bad. what a new cable came out that was even better than what we have now?

do what i did and drill a hole up from the basement along side the wall all way up.

That's assuming the basement isn't a finished living area as well.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to HusTler on Sat Oct 26 05:36:00 2019

I've seen a few houses that are wired for ethernet, but I'm surprised I'v only seen a few. There was one house I was looking at that was newly constructed, and they said it was part of a group of houses that were "wi certified" - The house had pre-installed wifi repeaters in the house that you could use to help boost your wifi signal throughout the house. I ask if they knew about installing ethernet, and they said something like "If probably will continue to be) faster and more reliable than wifi, so I'm little surprised that ethernet isn't being pre-wired when new houses are built. It would be especially important for those of us who run BBSes at home and want a reliable connection.

I don't think the cost of installing ethernet would be something people wo in New York 5G just rolled out. The future is wireless. Let's see what secur

Havens BBS

Labor would be the larger cost factor than the price of Cat6, however pulling the extra runs while pulling electric wouldn't add too much to the cost. Depending on the size of the home or density of walls, installing wired ethernet for feeding and powering wireless acces points might be a good idea.

---
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Nightfox on Sat Oct 26 12:05:00 2019
    Nightfox wrote to HusTler <=-

Partially true. I want wireless *AND* wired.

Wifi is convenient for portable devices & things, but still, a
    wired connection is still faster and more reliable, which is
    needed for some things. If I'm going to be running a server at
    home, such as a BBS, I'd like it to be on a fast and reliable
    connection. Ideally, that would be a wired ethernet connection.

Absolutely.

I have a smart TV using wifi, and sometimes it won't connect to
    wifi when it turns on, for some reason. The TV also has an
    ethernet port, and it might be handy to use ethernet with it for
    a more reliable connection. I'm not going to be moving the TV
    around a lot, so it wouldn't really be an inconvenience to use
    ethernet with it.

When my house was being built, I hired a guy who wired the whole
    house with CAT6 cabling. Every room except bathrooms has a wall
    jack (including garage). One of the bedrooms, which was planned
    to become my "computer room" has 6 wall outlets. The closet of
    that room is where all the cables from other rooms come to, and
    are hooked up to switch/router/cable modem. Each room's cable
    goes up inside the wall to the attic and comes to the closet as
    mentioned above, where they come down inside the wall as a "trunk"
    and are connected to a patch panel. Then I just use short patch
    cords to connect them to a 24port switch. All of this was done
    when the walls were just studs and footers/headers so it was not
    too difficult. I have since added/moved a few using fishtapes and
    drilling more small holes in the headers, which is *NOT* a fun
    thing to do, but it's possible. Of course I also have WiFi in the
    house for mobile stuff, but very happy I had this done.

... So easy, a child could do it. Child sold separately.
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to MRO on Sat Oct 26 11:38:00 2019
    MRO wrote to HusTler <=-

what if all this wireless shit everywhere is giving us cancer that will popup in 30 years

All the tin foil hat people will throw a big "I TOLD YOU SO" party.

... Have you ever asked a question you weren't supposed to ask?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Moondog on Sat Oct 26 11:41:00 2019
    Moondog wrote to HusTler <=-

Labor would be the larger cost factor than the price of Cat6, however pulling the extra runs while pulling electric wouldn't add too much to
    the cost. Depending on the size of the home or density of walls, installing wired ethernet for feeding and powering wireless acces
    points might be a good idea.

I don't know how many times while doing an office building install that I'd get the general contractor in with the wiring contractors to go over a schedule - making sure the wiring contractors came in before the sheetrock,
    so they could do their in-wall runs easily and cheaply.

Guaranteed, the wiring contractor would miss the schedule, or the GC would plow ahead of schedule, and when the wiring contractor came in, there were freshly rocked walls to have to cut/patch/etc. Aggravating!

... Into the impossible
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From Digital Man@VERT to MRO on Sat Oct 26 12:43:01 2019
    By: MRO to Dumas Walker on Sun Oct 13 2019 02:46 pm

i had a laptop that i would keep plugged in all the time and battery went to shit.

Newer/better laptops have built-in battery management to prevent that from happening.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #3:
    Synchronet version 2 was written in C and 8086 assembly programming languages. Norco, CA WX: 69.0°F, 27.0% humidity, 0 mph WSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to NIGHTFOX on Sat Oct 26 14:47:00 2019
    In the 80s, I remember seeing things fairly often to promote the metric system >nd that it would be good to learn it. I haven't seen metric promo material in
    long time, and I'm not sure if the USA even has plans to switch to metric any
    ime soon.

In the 1990's, the Clinton administration said that all of our highways
    would eventually be converted. There was an expressway near Louisville
    that either opened a new section or was due to be re-signed during that time. All of the exit signs are in km and miles, for example. They did some of
    that here and there and spent a lot of money but nothing else ever came of
    it.

At this point, it would be pretty costly to and probably is not worth that amount of money to convert everything.

---
    ■ SLMR 2.1a ■ "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil!" - Granpa S
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Sat Oct 26 14:47:00 2019
    IPV6 will redefine "screwed" for all of us.

Imagine when your refrigerator, AC outlets, Alexa and all of your PCs and phone
    have public IP addresses?

There are no "private network" blocks in IPv6?

---
    ■ SLMR 2.1a ■ Pass the tequila, Manuel...
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to NIGHTFOX on Sat Oct 26 14:49:00 2019
    I'd have a bad feeling about drilling through the ceiling/floor like that. Do
    n't seem quite like the "right" way to do it.

I am coming into this late so I might have missed what is being discussed
    here. You don't have to drill through a "visible" place in the floor to
    string ethernet cable. Lowes sells wall plates with interchangable
    sockets. In a couple of places in the house, I have drilled through the "floor" between the walls, just like they did for the electrics when they
    built the house, and ran cable up to a hole in the wall that has one of
    those plates over it. I installed three ethernet ports for my (now defuct) smart tv and another ethernet-ready device in my den, and another couple of ports (to link those to the home network) in my office room. Ran the wires under the floor (I do have a basement) to an ethernet hub.

I would not swear to it because it was a while back, but I think I even installed a proper junction box behind the wall for at least one of them so that the wires come up into it rather than the plate just covering a square hole.

It is easly enough that a dummy like me could handle it all. :)

P.S. Both the smart tv and the other ethernet-ready device were both
    wireless capable as well, IIRC. The device, for whatever reason, could not make and keep a wireless connection even though other things further away
    from the router could. Never have had an issue with the wired connection.

---
    ■ SLMR 2.1a ■ A distant ship, smoke on the horizon....
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Sat Oct 26 17:43:18 2019
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Fri Oct 25 2019 08:35 pm

I'd have a bad feeling about drilling through the ceiling/floor like that. Doesn't seem quite like the "right" way to do it.

the right way to lay cable is to make a hole and push it through. what do you think your cable installer did?
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Sat Oct 26 17:50:15 2019
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Fri Oct 25 2019 10:23 pm

By: MRO to HusTler on Fri Oct 25 2019 09:38 pm

what if all this wireless shit everywhere is giving us cancer that will pop up in 30 years

We've had signals from radio, TV, wireless land line phones, & cell phones f a very long time. So far I'm not sure if it has added a significant cancer risk or not.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/radiation/cell-phone s-fact-sheet

there's a lot of inconsistent findings because of poor information gathering. ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Moondog on Sat Oct 26 17:51:30 2019
    By: Moondog to MRO on Sat Oct 26 2019 01:29 am

do what i did and drill a hole up from the basement along side the wall a way up.

mine was. everything drills.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Moondog on Sat Oct 26 17:52:16 2019
    By: Moondog to Nightfox on Sat Oct 26 2019 01:26 am

I consider ethernet wiring to be like how pulling coax for cable used to be years ago. It would make sense to pull coax to every room, however some builders would only do it if the customer asked for it. Wall location (whic wall it's coming from) might be off in a default location scheme.

i would prefer it instead of what i have now. i have a long cable going along my walls.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Digital Man on Sat Oct 26 17:56:25 2019
    By: Digital Man to MRO on Sat Oct 26 2019 08:43 am

i had a laptop that i would keep plugged in all the time and battery went shit.

Newer/better laptops have built-in battery management to prevent that from happening.

digital man

OR DO THEY? My newer laptops only last a few years. they are asus, so i learned my lesson with them.

regarding batteries, not much has changed in a long time and i'm not so sure we can advance them any further. they just dont last.

can you really make a battery live longer with managment or do they just die after a set period of usage and time? i'm not so sure it's entirely how you treat it that keeps it viable.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Dumas Walker on Sat Oct 26 17:59:46 2019
    By: Dumas Walker to NIGHTFOX on Sat Oct 26 2019 10:49 am

I am coming into this late so I might have missed what is being discussed here. You don't have to drill through a "visible" place in the floor to string ethernet cable. Lowes sells wall plates with interchangable
    sockets. In a couple of places in the house, I have drilled through the

there's lots of things you can do. even floor moulding.

P.S. Both the smart tv and the other ethernet-ready device were both wireless capable as well, IIRC. The device, for whatever reason, could not make and keep a wireless connection even though other things further away from the router could. Never have had an issue with the wired connection.

smart devices are stupid.
    ---
  • From Kevin@VERT/MMN to DUMAS WALKER on Sat Oct 26 15:35:00 2019
    On 26/10/2019 10:47, DUMAS WALKER wrote to POINDEXTER FORTRAN:

Yep IPv6 has a private range, my ISP defaults IPv6 on, so the router has it's own static IPv4 & 6 public IP and internal machines have both v4&6 on a local range.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network#Private_IPv6_addresses
    ---
    ■ wcQWK 6.0 ≈ MMN :: (416) 548-4117 :: bbs.ec.je :: www.mrman.net
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Dumas Walker on Sun Oct 27 11:58:00 2019
    On 10-26-19 10:47, Dumas Walker wrote to POINDEXTER FORTRAN <=-

Imagine when your refrigerator, AC outlets, Alexa and all of your PCs and phone

have public IP addresses?

There are, but NAT defeats one of the main purposes of using IPv6. Instead, it is recommended (and many routers do this by default) that all unsolicited incoming IPv6 traffic be blocked by a packet filter, and it is up to the end user to decide what's allowed in. The net effect is the same as NAT without the limitations.

... Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.51
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to HusTler on Sun Oct 27 12:02:00 2019
    On 10-25-19 18:27, HusTler wrote to Nightfox <=-

I don't think the cost of installing ethernet would be something
    people would be willing to pay for. Nobody wants to plug their devices into the wall to connect to the internet. People want wireless. I don't know what's going on in your state but here in New York 5G just rolled out. The future is wireless. Let's see what security issues will
    develope with all these wireless devices connecting to the internet.
    WoW!

I use wired Ethernet for all things that stay in a fixed location and save the wifi for mobile and portable devices. Wired is faster, because it's not a shared medium, and it's sometimes more reliable. This setup means more wifi bandwidth is available for those devices that need wifi.

... Grdauaet @TO@ shcool of typign
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Moondog on Sun Oct 27 12:05:00 2019
    On 10-26-19 01:36, Moondog wrote to HusTler <=-

Labor would be the larger cost factor than the price of Cat6, however pulling the extra runs while pulling electric wouldn't add too much to
    the cost. Depending on the size of the home or density of walls, installing wired ethernet for feeding and powering wireless acces
    points might be a good idea.

Best time to do it would during construction of a new house, and it shouldn't cost too much more if done while the house is still mostly a frame, like when electrics are normally done. I'd certainly specify quality cat 6 from every room to a central switch cabinet in any house I had built.

... Spam: The triumph of technology over taste.
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Dumas Walker on Sun Oct 27 00:51:02 2019
    Re: IPv6
    By: Dumas Walker to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Sat Oct 26 2019 10:47 am

There aren't any defined in RFC1918, but there are addresses defined in IPv6. The original intention of the internet was to have everything accessible and part of the net, not NATed behind a router.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Moondog on Sun Oct 27 01:02:03 2019

I consider ethernet wiring to be like how pulling coax for cable used to be years ago. It would make sense to pull coax to every room, however some builders would only do it if the customer asked for it. Wall location (which wall it's coming from) might be off in a default location scheme.

A lot of houses are built without a customer first buying it though.. Usually houses are built and then put up on the market to find a buyer. There wouldn't have been a customer to request ethernet unless a customer specifically went to a house builder to custom-build a house for them (which I've heard can be significantly more expensive than buying an already-built house).

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Gamgee on Sun Oct 27 01:04:55 2019
    Re: Re: Smart homes
    By: Gamgee to Nightfox on Sat Oct 26 2019 08:05 am

I was wondering how that worked..

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Dumas Walker on Sun Oct 27 01:06:58 2019
    Re: The Metric System!
    By: Dumas Walker to NIGHTFOX on Sat Oct 26 2019 10:47 am

In the 1990's, the Clinton administration said that all of our highways would eventually be converted. There was an expressway near Louisville that either opened a new section or was due to be re-signed during that time. All of the exit signs are in km and miles, for example. They did some of that here and there and spent a lot of money but nothing else ever came of it.

At this point, it would be pretty costly to and probably is not worth that amount of money to convert everything.

It already would have been costly in the 80s when I was hearing about switching to metric. I'd think it could still be advantageous to just eat the cost and covnert. On the flip side, it's costing companies in other countries money to support both metric and US standard for their products (cars, etc.) in order to be able to sell in multiple countries including the US.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Dumas Walker on Sun Oct 27 01:07:50 2019

I'd have a bad feeling about drilling through the ceiling/floor like
    that. Do n't seem quite like the "right" way to do it.

I am coming into this late so I might have missed what is being discussed here. You don't have to drill through a "visible" place in the floor to string ethernet cable. Lowes sells wall plates with interchangable sockets. In a couple of places in the house, I have drilled through the

Yeah, that's what I thought. It sounded like MRO was saying to just drill a hole in the ceiling/floor of the 2nd floor and string an ethernet cable up there from the first floor.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Sun Oct 27 01:09:50 2019
    By: MRO to Nightfox on Sat Oct 26 2019 01:43 pm

that. Doesn't seem quite like the "right" way to do it.

the right way to lay cable is to make a hole and push it through. what do you think your cable installer did?

Normally they put an outlet in the wall and string cable through the wall. They don't drill a hole in the ceiling/floor of the 2nd floor to run cable to the 2nd floor. My house has cable outlets on both floors but I don't see any coax cable strung up the wall through the ceiling/floor.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Moondog on Sun Oct 27 01:15:56 2019

Or that a house even has a basement. Houses in my area typically don't have basements.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Sun Oct 27 01:18:23 2019
    By: MRO to Moondog on Sat Oct 26 2019 01:52 pm

I consider ethernet wiring to be like how pulling coax for cable used
    to be years ago. It would make sense to pull coax to every room,
    however some builders would only do it if the customer asked for it.
    Wall location (whic wall it's coming from) might be off in a default
    location scheme.

i would prefer it instead of what i have now. i have a long cable going along my walls.

Seems like it would be more handy and cleaner to have an ethernet port on the wall with the cable routed inside the wall rather than outside the wall.

Nigtfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Sun Oct 27 05:47:49 2019
    By: Nightfox to Dumas Walker on Sat Oct 26 2019 09:07 pm

that. Do n't seem quite like the "right" way to do it.

I am coming into this late so I might have missed what is being discuss here. You don't have to drill through a "visible" place in the floor to string ethernet cable. Lowes sells wall plates with interchangable sockets. In a couple of places in the house, I have drilled through the

Yeah, that's what I thought. It sounded like MRO was saying to just drill a hole in the ceiling/floor of the 2nd floor and string an ethernet cable up there from the first floor.

you can do that, too
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Sun Oct 27 05:48:55 2019
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Sat Oct 26 2019 09:09 pm

By: MRO to Nightfox on Sat Oct 26 2019 01:43 pm

that. Doesn't seem quite like the "right" way to do it.

the right way to lay cable is to make a hole and push it through. what you think your cable installer did?

Normally they put an outlet in the wall and string cable through the wall. They don't drill a hole in the ceiling/floor of the 2nd floor to run cable t the 2nd floor. My house has cable outlets on both floors but I don't see an coax cable strung up the wall through the ceiling/floor.

they do whatever works. you might have a hole drilled from the outside -> in and have an outlet in your room.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Sun Oct 27 05:50:05 2019
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Sat Oct 26 2019 09:18 pm

location scheme.

Seems like it would be more handy and cleaner to have an ethernet port on th wall with the cable routed inside the wall rather than outside the wall.

well they didnt meet me. because i have certain requirements. i think most people prefer wifi anyways.

i do have multiple cable hookups, though.
    ---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Oct 28 02:21:00 2019
    On 10-26-19 20:51, poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Dumas Walker <=-

@VIA: VERT/REALITY
    Re: IPv6
    By: Dumas Walker to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Sat Oct 26 2019 10:47 am

There aren't any defined in RFC1918, but there are addresses defined in IPv6. The original intention of the internet was to have everything accessible and part of the net, not NATed behind a router.

There are ULA IPv6 addresses that can be used like RFC1918 IPv4 addresses. I use some for ZeroTier networks, which are basically a private virtual LAN.

... NO! That's obviously wrong...I AM THE ONLY SOURCE OF THE TRUTH!
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Mon Oct 28 02:21:00 2019
    On 10-26-19 21:15, Nightfox wrote to Moondog <=-

Or that a house even has a basement. Houses in my area typically don't have basements.

Here in Australia, basements are extremely rare.

... Daddy, what does FORMATTING DRIVE C MEAN?
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
  • From Dr. What@VERT/TWODUDES to MRO on Sun Oct 27 12:12:00 2019
    MRO wrote to Digital Man <=-

OR DO THEY? My newer laptops only last a few years. they are asus, so
    i learned my lesson with them.

Batteries are still chemical processes. Recharging them reverses the chemical reaction that lets them generate electricity.

The charing process is not 100% perfect. So each charge/discharge shortens the life span of the battery.

The power management circuitry prevents the recharge cycle from putting too much electricity into the battery and "cooking" it (i.e. damage the chemicals from heat).

regarding batteries, not much has changed in a long time and i'm not so sure we can advance them any further. they just dont last.

Actually, plenty has happened since the old days of the simple lead-acid or carbon batteries. They produce much more power for longer. Lithium ion has many more recharge cycles than the NiMh ones (and has less of a power drop off).

But you are correct in that, overall, a battery is still a pile of chemicals that reacts to produce electricity. Sooner or later, those chemicals will "wear out" and will no longer react enough.

can you really make a battery live longer with managment or do they
    just die after a set period of usage and time? i'm not so sure it's entirely how you treat it that keeps it viable.

Compared to previous rechargable batteryes, power management greatly improves the life span of the battery.

But as I said above, they are still a chemical process and WILL wear out over time. It's unreasonable to expect your laptop battery to last more than a couple years - if you are using it alot.

If you take the battery out of your laptop and put it in a drawer and never use it, you can probably take it out in a year or so and it should work just fine. But that's sort of a waste.

■ Synchronet ■ Two Dudes BBS - twodudesbbs.com
  • From Bencollver@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Nightfox on Sun Oct 27 13:51:23 2019
    By: Nightfox to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Oct 25 2019 12:46:08

and more reliable than wifi, so I'm a little surprised that ethernet isn't being pre-wired when new houses are built. It would be especially important for those of us who run BBSes at home and want a reliable connection.

I'd also like to see more homes wired for Ethernet. While we're at it, i'd like to see several USB charging ports in each electrical outlet, perhaps
    on separate low-voltage wiring with hookups ready for solar. Also, i'd
    like to see more devices go low-voltage. Even if a laptop requires more current than USB provides, it could still charge the battery overnight
    from a USB port.

-Ben

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Nightfox on Sun Oct 27 15:19:00 2019
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Fri Oct 25 2019 08:35 pm

By: MRO to Nightfox on Fri Oct 25 2019 09:34 pm

Yep. Houses where I am usually have a laundry room somewhere - If it's on t

I'd have a bad feeling about drilling through the ceiling/floor like that.

Nightfox

My house was built in 1854, so the only way to get proper heat ducts and
    return vents to all the upstairs was to find a corner in a room and cut a path for the send and return ducts to travel up to the attic. It's way too common in older construction to see a single duct going up, with no air circulation.
    This "raceway" also gives me room to pull ethernet cable to any upstairs
    room.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Gamgee on Sun Oct 27 15:26:00 2019
    By: Gamgee to Nightfox on Sat Oct 26 2019 08:05 am

Nightfox wrote to HusTler <=-

I don't think the cost of installing ethernet would be something people would be willing to pay for. Nobody wants to plug their devices into th wall to connect to the internet. People want wireless. I don't know wha going on in your state but here in New York 5G just rolled out. The fut is wireless. Let's see what security issues will develope with all thes wireless devices connecting to the internet. WoW!

Partially true. I want wireless *AND* wired.

Wifi is convenient for portable devices & things, but still, a
    wired connection is still faster and more reliable, which is
    needed for some things. If I'm going to be running a server at
    home, such as a BBS, I'd like it to be on a fast and reliable connection. Ideally, that would be a wired ethernet connection.

Absolutely.

I have a smart TV using wifi, and sometimes it won't connect to
    wifi when it turns on, for some reason. The TV also has an
    ethernet port, and it might be handy to use ethernet with it for
    a more reliable connection. I'm not going to be moving the TV
    around a lot, so it wouldn't really be an inconvenience to use
    ethernet with it.

goes up inside the wall to the attic and comes to the closet as
    mentioned above, where they come down inside the wall as a "trunk"
    and are connected to a patch panel. Then I just use short patch
    cords to connect them to a 24port switch. All of this was done
    when the walls were just studs and footers/headers so it was not
    too difficult. I have since added/moved a few using fishtapes and
    drilling more small holes in the headers, which is *NOT* a fun
    thing to do, but it's possible. Of course I also have WiFi in the
    house for mobile stuff, but very happy I had this done.

... So easy, a child could do it. Child sold separately.

Whoever came up with the idea of pulling fish tape with cables was a genius
    and a savior. Saved me from doing some extra crawling!

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Oct 27 15:40:00 2019
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Moondog on Sat Oct 26 2019 07:41 am

Moondog wrote to HusTler <=-

Labor would be the larger cost factor than the price of Cat6, however pulling the extra runs while pulling electric wouldn't add too much to the cost. Depending on the size of the home or density of walls, installing wired ethernet for feeding and powering wireless acces points might be a good idea.

I don't know how many times while doing an office building install that I'd get the general contractor in with the wiring contractors to go over a schedule - making sure the wiring contractors came in before the sheetrock, so they could do their in-wall runs easily and cheaply.

Guaranteed, the wiring contractor would miss the schedule, or the GC would plow ahead of schedule, and when the wiring contractor came in, there were freshly rocked walls to have to cut/patch/etc. Aggravating!

... Into the impossible

I've never run intot hat proble, however mine was usually after everything
    has been built, then someone wants to change things around.

For example, the phone and network jacks for 10 users may be all together on one spot on the wall to feed a row of cubicles, then along comes some manager who wants to remove or change the orientation of those cubes so that there's
    no way to connect to those jacks.

Another place had solid foam filled walls designed to be modular and noise absorbent, so we couldn't drill into them to run wiring or jacks. The
    solution was to run plastic raceways with a snap on cover piece, and install external junction to house the jacks. It was all painted to match, and even then someone who visit the classroom or conference room once in their life
    will complain to the facilities manager about the appearance of the vinyl raceways.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Dumas Walker on Sun Oct 27 15:45:00 2019

I'd have a bad feeling about drilling through the ceiling/floor like that. n't seem quite like the "right" way to do it.

I am coming into this late so I might have missed what is being discussed here. You don't have to drill through a "visible" place in the floor to string ethernet cable. Lowes sells wall plates with interchangable
    sockets. In a couple of places in the house, I have drilled through the "floor" between the walls, just like they did for the electrics when they built the house, and ran cable up to a hole in the wall that has one of those plates over it. I installed three ethernet ports for my (now defuct) smart tv and another ethernet-ready device in my den, and another couple of ports (to link those to the home network) in my office room. Ran the wires under the floor (I do have a basement) to an ethernet hub.

I would not swear to it because it was a while back, but I think I even installed a proper junction box behind the wall for at least one of them so that the wires come up into it rather than the plate just covering a square hole.

It is easly enough that a dummy like me could handle it all. :)

P.S. Both the smart tv and the other ethernet-ready device were both wireless capable as well, IIRC. The device, for whatever reason, could not make and keep a wireless connection even though other things further away from the router could. Never have had an issue with the wired connection.

If you have base boards on your walls it is possible to remove it to cut a
    hole behind it, then drill your hole in between the walls, then run the cable through a hole in the base board and install a jack.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Nightfox on Sun Oct 27 15:52:00 2019
    By: Nightfox to Moondog on Sat Oct 26 2019 09:02 pm

I consider ethernet wiring to be like how pulling coax for cable used t be years ago. It would make sense to pull coax to every room, however s builders would only do it if the customer asked for it. Wall location (which wall it's coming from) might be off in a default location scheme

A lot of houses are built without a customer first buying it though.. Usual
    to custom-build a house for them (which I've heard can be significantly mor

Nightfox

Electrical outlets are ran and strategically located in houses befroe
    customers come in. In the past I've seen houses with wiring for phones preinstalled as well. IIRC a friend bought his house and coax had been run
    to each room, along with phone and electric.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Nightfox on Sun Oct 27 15:56:00 2019
    By: Nightfox to Moondog on Sat Oct 26 2019 09:15 pm

Or that a house even has a basement. Houses in my area typically don't have

Nightfox

Do they have crawl spaces? Worst case is they don't, and wiring is run on the
    outside of the house, then hidden under the siding.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Nightfox on Sun Oct 27 16:05:00 2019
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Sat Oct 26 2019 09:18 pm

location scheme.

Seems like it would be more handy and cleaner to have an ethernet port on th

Nigtfox

Walls have upright studs in them, making wiring hard to run around a room
    with a conduit or raceway. If the jack is nowhere near you want the signal, it's run along the baseboard and "stapled" to it using special, non pinching fasteners. When my parents added on to their house, I had no access under the
    addition, and ran the cable from the inside wall around the room to the outside wall where they wanted the TV. The "inside" wall of the addition was formerly where a second doorway led to a porch, and the contractor made it
    into a recessed pantry. I drilled a hole in the floor to access the basement under the doorway, and pulled up enough coax to connect to a jack on the other
    side of the wall.

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Vk3jed on Sun Oct 27 19:14:07 2019
    By: Vk3jed to Nightfox on Sun Oct 27 2019 10:21 pm

so why is that?
    ---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to NIGHTFOX on Sun Oct 27 22:09:00 2019
    Yeah, that's what I thought. It sounded like MRO was saying to just drill a ho
    e in the ceiling/floor of the 2nd floor and string an ethernet cable up there f
    om the first floor.

People do that. When I was younger, I think the standard way to get an
    antenna wire (or coax cable) to your tv set was to drill a hole in the
    floor... if you had carpet, it would hide the hole.

I actually used a socket in one of those wall plates to transfer the coax
    that was previously sent up through a hole in the floor (under carpet) into
    the wall. So, there are three ethernet sockets and a coax cable tv socket
    in the same plate.

---
    ■ SLMR 2.1a ■ Direct from the Ministry of Silly Walks
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Dr. What on Sun Oct 27 22:18:00 2019
    Re: Re: battery drain
    By: Dr. What to MRO on Sun Oct 27 2019 08:12 am

OR DO THEY? My newer laptops only last a few years. they are asus, so i learned my lesson with them.

Batteries are still chemical processes. Recharging them reverses the chemic reaction that lets them generate electricity.

i know how batteries work.
    i dont want a history lesson.

the point is, we hit a wall. the charger stops overcharging now. well hasnt that existed a long time?

batteries just suck.
    ---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to MRO on Mon Oct 28 14:37:00 2019
    On 10-27-19 15:14, MRO wrote to Vk3jed <=-

so why is that?

Dunno.

... You are only young once, but you can be immature forever.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Sun Oct 27 22:04:15 2019
    By: MRO to Nightfox on Sun Oct 27 2019 01:47 am

Yeah, that's what I thought. It sounded like MRO was saying to just
    drill a hole in the ceiling/floor of the 2nd floor and string an
    ethernet cable up there from the first floor.

you can do that, too

Too? I thought that's what you were saying.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Bencollver on Sun Oct 27 22:09:39 2019
    By: Bencollver to Nightfox on Sun Oct 27 2019 09:51 am

and more reliable than wifi, so I'm a little surprised that ethernet
    isn't being pre-wired when new houses are built. It would be
    especially important for those of us who run BBSes at home and want a
    reliable connection.

I'd also like to see more homes wired for Ethernet. While we're at it, i'd like to see several USB charging ports in each electrical outlet, perhaps on separate low-voltage wiring with hookups ready for solar. Also, i'd like to see more devices go low-voltage. Even if a laptop requires more current than USB provides, it could still charge the battery overnight from a USB port.

I've thought about installing outlets that have a couple of USB ports, but I don't feel like that's as important, because you can easily use USB power adapters that plug into wall power. I suppose for that matter, there are powerline ethernet adapters, but those aren't as fast or reliable as actually wiring for ethernet.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Moondog on Sun Oct 27 22:10:34 2019
    By: Moondog to Nightfox on Sun Oct 27 2019 11:19 am

That's quite an old house.. With all the upkeep a house needs, is there any part of the original house left? :P

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Moondog on Sun Oct 27 22:11:31 2019
    By: Moondog to Nightfox on Sun Oct 27 2019 11:56 am

Or that a house even has a basement. Houses in my area typically
    don't have

Houses here usually do have a crawlspace.

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Vk3jed on Mon Oct 28 01:57:39 2019
    By: Vk3jed to MRO on Mon Oct 28 2019 10:37 am

On 10-27-19 15:14, MRO wrote to Vk3jed <=-

so why is that?

Dunno.

i looked it up and:

+ they dont build a basement to save money.
    + excavation is expensive and often poorly executed
    + builders have poor training so the basement would probably leak
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Mon Oct 28 02:00:19 2019
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Sun Oct 27 2019 06:04 pm

By: MRO to Nightfox on Sun Oct 27 2019 01:47 am

Yeah, that's what I thought. It sounded like MRO was saying to just
    drill a hole in the ceiling/floor of the 2nd floor and string an
    ethernet cable up there from the first floor.

you can do that, too

Too? I thought that's what you were saying.

just drill the fucking hole already you pussy.
    ---
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to MRO on Mon Oct 28 00:45:00 2019

so why is that?

Likely for the same reason that basements don't exist here in
    Florida: the water table is generally 3-4 feet down. Impossible
    to keep a basement dry.

... All the easy problems have been solved.
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to MRO on Mon Oct 28 04:08:00 2019
    By: MRO to Vk3jed on Sun Oct 27 2019 03:14 pm

By: Vk3jed to Nightfox on Sun Oct 27 2019 10:21 pm

Or that a house even has a basement. Houses in my area typically do have basements.

so why is that?

What condition is the ground? Is it easy to tear into? Is your water table high? I live in southwest Michigan, and my house was built in 1854. The basement (or cellar as they used to say) is a sub room with walls of cut
    field stone and a concrete floor put in much later. I live on a high grade,
    so there's no flooding of the water table, however the basement maintains a high humidity level through the spring and summer. A dehumidifier is need to pull the extra moisture out.

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to MRO on Mon Oct 28 23:31:00 2019
    On 10-27-19 21:57, MRO wrote to Vk3jed <=-

i looked it up and:

+ they dont build a basement to save money.
    + excavation is expensive and often poorly executed
    + builders have poor training so the basement would probably leak

All reasonable reasons.

... In seeking the unattainable, simplicity only gets in the way.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
  • From HusTler@VERT/HAVENS to Moondog on Mon Oct 28 12:21:17 2019
    By: Nightfox to Moondog on Sun Oct 27 2019 06:10 pm

That's quite an old house.. With all the upkeep a house needs, is there any part of the original house left? :P

Wow. That's pre-civil War. I'd love to take a look at your house. If it's the original. ;-)

Havens BBS

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to HusTler on Mon Oct 28 20:00:51 2019
    By: HusTler to Moondog on Mon Oct 28 2019 08:21 am

That's quite an old house.. With all the upkeep a house needs, is there part of the original house left? :P

Wow. That's pre-civil War. I'd love to take a look at your house. If it's the original. ;-)

his basement probably looks like a dungeon.
    ---
  • From Dr. What@VERT/TWODUDES to MRO on Mon Oct 28 21:28:00 2019
    MRO wrote to Dr. What <=-

i know how batteries work.
    i dont want a history lesson.

the point is, we hit a wall. the charger stops overcharging now. well hasnt that existed a long time?

No, it hasn't.

If you knew how batteries worked and didn't want a history lesson, whey are you complaining about something you (supposedly) know all about?

■ Synchronet ■ Two Dudes BBS - twodudesbbs.com
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to MOONDOG on Mon Oct 28 21:51:00 2019
    If you have base boards on your walls it is possible to remove it to cut a hole behind it, then drill your hole in between the walls, then run the cable through a hole in the base board and install a jack.

In one of the rooms, I did pull the baseboard away and cut a small hole to
    help guide the wiring up to the wall plate hole roughly 6" above it. That
    one was more difficult to get threaded from the basement... the wall in question sits above, and slighly behind, the furnace and hot water
    heater, and also just above a finished area. So I needed an extra hole to
    see what I was doing. :)

---
    ■ SLMR 2.1a ■ Got my tie caught in the fax... Suddenly I was in L.A.
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to MRO on Mon Oct 28 22:14:00 2019

so why is that?

High water table?
    Rocky ground?
    Not as many tornadoes?

In the area I am in, many homes do not have basements because the water
    table is too high. Even if you live on a hill, like I do, the water table
    is not too far below the surface. If you don't have Be-Dry or something similar, you will have a small lake in your basement once a year (unless it
    is a drought year).

Many of the homes that don't have basements have crawl spaces and, even
    though they are not near as deep as a basement it is rare to find one
    without water (or evidence of water) in it. I looked at one home that had
    a crawl with a small creek running through it, a foot or two wide.

This is in Kentucky. I imagine it is worse in Florida or in coastal areas.

---
    ■ SLMR 2.1a ■ He does the work of 3 Men...Moe, Larry & Curly
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to NIGHTFOX on Mon Oct 28 22:02:00 2019
    I've thought about installing outlets that have a couple of USB ports, but I do
    't feel like that's as important, because you can easily use USB power adapters
    that plug into wall power. I suppose for that matter, there are powerline ethe
    net adapters, but those aren't as fast or reliable as actually wiring for ether
    et.

They actually make adaptors now that have a regular plug (so you don't lose one) in addition to the added USB plug, and some of those are supposedly
    surge protected.

---
    ■ SLMR 2.1a ■ Heisenberg may have slept here.
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to NIGHTFOX on Mon Oct 28 22:14:00 2019
    I was specifically referring to things like the fact that 16 ounces can either >e 2 cups or 1 pound, etc..

Those are different ounces, though. Most things I read, if it is not
    already obvious, mention "fluid ounces" vs. ounces of weight (that also has
    a name but I cannot remember it now).

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to MRO on Mon Oct 28 22:15:00 2019
    does it really bother you that much that units of measurements have different names and dont have 'meter' on the end?

If that really bothers someone, they can always put meter on the end... cupmeter, ouncemeter, fuild ouncemeter, etc... :D

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to VK3JED on Mon Oct 28 22:15:00 2019
    That's a false argument. If we used it here, we'd still be on imperial measurements. The US is effectively out of step with almost every other country on the planet.

I don't think converting to metric would fix that last bit.

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Dr. What on Mon Oct 28 22:05:44 2019
    Re: Re: battery drain
    By: Dr. What to MRO on Mon Oct 28 2019 05:28 pm

No, it hasn't.

If you knew how batteries worked and didn't want a history lesson, whey are complaining about something you (supposedly) know all about?

i've had batteries that stopped charging when they were full. that's been around for quit a while.

i didnt need captain wikipedia to swoop in with 2 pages of shit about it.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Dumas Walker on Mon Oct 28 22:23:22 2019
    By: Dumas Walker to MRO on Mon Oct 28 2019 06:14 pm

so why is that?

High water table?
    Rocky ground?
    Not as many tornadoes?

i know that's what they say on google, but it's just because they are cheap. and a basement probably wont save you in a tornado.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Dumas Walker on Mon Oct 28 22:24:57 2019
    By: Dumas Walker to MRO on Mon Oct 28 2019 06:15 pm

does it really bother you that much that units of measurements have differ names and dont have 'meter' on the end?

If that really bothers someone, they can always put meter on the end... cupmeter, ouncemeter, fuild ouncemeter, etc... :D

i actually like that.

but maybe do ometer.
    poundometer footometer
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Dumas Walker on Mon Oct 28 22:25:34 2019
    By: Dumas Walker to VK3JED on Mon Oct 28 2019 06:15 pm

That's a false argument. If we used it here, we'd still be on imperial measurements. The US is effectively out of step with almost every other country on the planet.

i think the rest of the world should convert back to standard because usa is #1 and we have donald trump. maga
    ---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Nightfox on Mon Oct 28 21:58:00 2019

By: Moondog to Nightfox on Sun Oct 27 2019 11:19 am

My house was built in 1854, so the only way to get proper heat ducts an

That's quite an old house.. With all the upkeep a house needs, is there any

Nightfox

Big axe hewn wooden beams tongue and groove fit with large wooden pins.

This week I'm having the roof redone. It has two layers of asphalt shingles ona layer of cedar shake shingles. After the shingles are all removed, all theld nails need to be hammered down so they can lay down 4x8 sheets of plywoo d to put the new tar paper and shingles on. It's taking them longer because the board the cedar shingles were nailed to arent 1x2 pine. They're thicker oak boards. A lot more hammering is needed to pount the remainder of the
    nails in. In the basement you can see the big hand cut logs.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Nightfox on Mon Oct 28 21:59:00 2019
    By: Nightfox to Moondog on Sun Oct 27 2019 06:11 pm

don't have

Do they have crawl spaces? Worst case is they don't, and wiring is run the

Nightfox

That's where you would run cables if necessary

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to HusTler on Mon Oct 28 22:09:00 2019

That's quite an old house.. With all the upkeep a house needs, is there part of the original house left? :P

Wow. That's pre-civil War. I'd love to take a look at your house. If it's

Havens BBS

It's your basic rectangular colonial style home, except the framing is all of big heavy axe hewn logs. From what I read of the familty that built it, the property had a cabin on it at first, then the builder went out to California
    in search of gold. Instead of striking it rich in the creeks, he made a
    bundle off of building houses. He and his wife had 13 kids and 640 acres of crops and orchards. The bard that was on my property had been at one time moved to the farm across the street, and it is all hand hewn beams. For a
    good example, check out the TV series Barnwood Builders. They recover and salvage wood from barns made back in the mid 1800's

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Dumas Walker on Mon Oct 28 21:13:40 2019
    By: Dumas Walker to NIGHTFOX on Mon Oct 28 2019 06:14 pm

I was specifically referring to things like the fact that 16 ounces can
    either e 2 cups or 1 pound, etc..

Those are different ounces, though. Most things I read, if it is not already obvious, mention "fluid ounces" vs. ounces of weight (that also has a name but I cannot remember it now).

Different ounces.. :P I've seen mention of "fluid ounces" in some measurements. Seems like another reason to switch from the imperial system to metric..

Nightfox

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to MRO on Tue Oct 29 01:41:00 2019
    By: MRO to HusTler on Mon Oct 28 2019 04:00 pm

My house was built in 1854, so the only way to get proper heat du and

That's quite an old house.. With all the upkeep a house needs, is the part of the original house left? :P

Wow. That's pre-civil War. I'd love to take a look at your house. If i the original. ;-)

The walls look like those from a dungeon, however the space is completely
    open. In the movies, houses the size of mine strangely have a labyrinth of rooms in the cellar. I have an external cellar door and a stairway that
    leads to the first floor.

One previous owner cut out windows and installed the thick glass bricks to provide some light down there. It's a nice place to set up my workbenches, however it's a bit too humid for any long term storage.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to MRO on Tue Oct 29 01:52:00 2019
    By: MRO to Dumas Walker on Mon Oct 28 2019 06:23 pm

By: Dumas Walker to MRO on Mon Oct 28 2019 06:14 pm

so why is that?

High water table?
    Rocky ground?
    Not as many tornadoes?

i know that's what they say on google, but it's just because they are cheap. and a basement probably wont save you in a tornado.

For a cellar or basement to be truly protective, it would require another
    peice of structure over your head to prevent the house from collapsing in,
    and maybe concrete side walls to act as a missle block.

When I was little, they used to tell us in school which side of the house was safest, however I can't recall which one it was. All I can recall is a 1 psi differnce is enough to pop a roof off a house, and to open all the windows in the house before heading to the basement. This won't help if you're in the path of a tornado, however it will ensure you have a roof if the tornado drops
    nearby.

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Dumas Walker on Wed Oct 30 00:29:00 2019
    On 10-28-19 18:15, Dumas Walker wrote to VK3JED <=-

@VIA: VERT/CAPCITY2

Hahaha :D

... Senseless massacre and carnage? Where do I sign up?
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Nightfox on Tue Oct 29 17:29:28 2019
    By: Nightfox to Moondog on Sun Oct 27 2019 06:11 pm

don't have

Where's "here"?

Here in California, most houses are built directly on concrete foundations with no basements and no crawl space between the floor of the house and the foundation. Houses built in California do usually have attics however.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #9:
    David St. Hubbins: I mean, it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel.
    Norco, CA WX: 71.6°F, 34.0% humidity, 0 mph WNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From HusTler@VERT/HAVENS to Moondog on Tue Oct 29 20:21:13 2019
    By: Moondog to HusTler on Mon Oct 28 2019 06:09 pm

It's your basic rectangular colonial style home, except the framing is all of big heavy axe hewn logs. From what I read of the familty that built it, in search of gold. Instead of striking it rich in the creeks, he made a bundle off of building houses. He and his wife had 13 kids and 640 acres of good example, check out the TV series Barnwood Builders. They recover and

Facinating story. I'm really into civil war era stuff. I don't know how people got by back in those days. They had to be some tough people! Both men and women. I've seen that show Barnwood Builders. I believe it was on PBS. I was a Union Plumber in the 80's and 90's. One job I was on the wall beams we ran our pipes through were made of tin. These were $250,000 condos. Walls built with tin studs. Can you imagine? Holy cow! They built REAL homes back in the 1800's. ;-)

Havens BBS

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Digital Man on Tue Oct 29 20:02:09 2019
    By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Tue Oct 29 2019 01:29 pm

Where's "here"?

The Portland, Oregon suburbs. I probably should have clarified that in my earlier message..

Here in California, most houses are built directly on concrete foundations with no basements and no crawl space between the floor of the house and the foundation. Houses built in California do usually have attics however.

Interesting, the differences in how houses are built across the US.

And I often drive by houses that are being built, and when they aren't working on them, the frame of the houses are usually left unprotected, even when it's raining. I'd think exposure to rain could potentially cause problems with the house down the road. I'n particularly surprised they don't protect houses in progress in my area, since we tend to get a lot of rain..

Nightfox

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Moondog on Wed Oct 30 02:19:09 2019
    By: Moondog to MRO on Mon Oct 28 2019 09:41 pm

The walls look like those from a dungeon, however the space is completely open. In the movies, houses the size of mine strangely have a labyrinth of rooms in the cellar. I have an external cellar door and a stairway that leads to the first floor.

yep, sounds like the basement of the house my great grandfather built.
    do you have 2 stairways? he had one normal one and one for the laundry area with a trap door to make it easy to take down laundry.

or grapes for the grape press.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Moondog on Wed Oct 30 02:21:08 2019
    By: Moondog to MRO on Mon Oct 28 2019 09:52 pm

When I was little, they used to tell us in school which side of the house wa safest, however I can't recall which one it was. All I can recall is a 1 ps differnce is enough to pop a roof off a house, and to open all the windows i the house before heading to the basement. This won't help if you're in the path of a tornado, however it will ensure you have a roof if the tornado dro
    nearby.

a ditch outside is probably safer than a house full of furnature or walls and debris to fall on you.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Digital Man on Wed Oct 30 02:25:21 2019

Where's "here"?

Here in California, most houses are built directly on concrete foundations w no basements and no crawl space between the floor of the house and the

it's not worth putting in a basement because they're gonna burn down from forrest fires anyways. :D

foundation. Houses built in California do usually have attics however.

man if a house doesnt have an attic, they really went cheap. there's a lot of benefits to an attic.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Wed Oct 30 02:38:08 2019
    By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Tue Oct 29 2019 04:02 pm

And I often drive by houses that are being built, and when they aren't worki on them, the frame of the houses are usually left unprotected, even when it' raining. I'd think exposure to rain could potentially cause problems with t

they probably think that treated wood is water resistant. it's not.

in my area they cover it in plastic.
    ---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to MRO on Tue Oct 29 23:12:00 2019

i actually like that.

but maybe do ometer.
    poundometer footometer

Yeah, I spent a few minuteometers thinking about it, and I like ometer
    better, too.

---
    ■ SLMR 2.1a ■ "Television! Teacher, Mother, Secret Lover..." - Homer
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to MOONDOG on Tue Oct 29 23:30:00 2019
    When I was little, they used to tell us in school which side of the house was >safest, however I can't recall which one it was. All I can recall is a 1 psi >differnce is enough to pop a roof off a house, and to open all the windows in >the house before heading to the basement. This won't help if you're in the >path of a tornado, however it will ensure you have a roof if the tornado drops
    nearby.

In 1972, my parents moved our family to Louisville, KY. In 1974, the Super Outbreak happened. One of the hardest hit areas in Louisville was a neighborhood that my parents had looked at houses in. There was a
    cul-de-sac that was completely leveled... looked like matchsticks in the
    aireal views... except for one house. My parents recognized it and said it
    was the least-attractive house on that cul-de-sac. Supposedly, the family
    had the windows open when the storm hit.

---
    ■ SLMR 2.1a ■ "I am EVIL Homer! I am EVIL Homer!" - Homer
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to HusTler on Wed Oct 30 04:07:00 2019
    By: HusTler to Moondog on Tue Oct 29 2019 04:21 pm

By: Moondog to HusTler on Mon Oct 28 2019 06:09 pm

It's your basic rectangular colonial style home, except the framing is al of big heavy axe hewn logs. From what I read of the familty that built i in search of gold. Instead of striking it rich in the creeks, he made a bundle off of building houses. He and his wife had 13 kids and 640 acres good example, check out the TV series Barnwood Builders. They recover an

Facinating story. I'm really into civil war era stuff. I don't know how p e 80's and 90's. One job I was on the wall beams we ran our pipes through we

Havens BBS

There's spots on the beams where someone tried to drill through one to pull a wire, then they gave up and ran it around it.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Wed Oct 30 14:29:42 2019
    By: MRO to Digital Man on Tue Oct 29 2019 10:25 pm

man if a house doesnt have an attic, they really went cheap. there's a lot of benefits to an attic.

I haven't seen a lot of houses in my area (Oregon) with attics these days. Many houses built in my area recently have vaulted ceilings - It seems that's popular these days. If there is any attic space, it's probably not a finished attic.

Nightfox

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to MRO on Wed Oct 30 16:47:00 2019
    By: MRO to Moondog on Tue Oct 29 2019 10:19 pm

By: Moondog to MRO on Mon Oct 28 2019 09:41 pm

The walls look like those from a dungeon, however the space is completely open. In the movies, houses the size of mine strangely have a labyrinth rooms in the cellar. I have an external cellar door and a stairway that leads to the first floor.

yep, sounds like the basement of the house my great grandfather built.
    do you have 2 stairways? he had one normal one and one for the laundry area with a trap door to make it easy to take down laundry.

or grapes for the grape press.

No trap door or laundry chute. It appears the washing machine was never in
    the basement, since the basement floor wasn't poured with concrete until
    1970. My father's uncle owned the house in the 1950s, and back then the
    floor was made of loose flat stones laid on top of a dirt floor. It might
    have originally been in the little side room closet by the bathroom, however when the house was switched back from being made into an upstairs and downstairs apartment in the 1970's, the upstairs kitchen was repurposed into
    a laundry area on one side, and a guest bed on the other. The plumbing for
    the sink was used to feed the washer, and the 220 two phase for the stove
    runs the dryer.

My father recalls seeing stone in the basement that looked like polished granite. Well before Joseph Coveney died, he ordered a grave stone with special engraving from England. The story goes it was damaged during
    shipping, so he had another made locally. My father thinks the original
    grave marker was broken up and used as flooring material. The previous owner whose husband poured in the concrete said she never seen any polished granite down there.

I also asked the owner who had the house from 1968 to 1998 about fire damage
    on one of the beams in the basement. She told me when the house was split
    into two apartments, a crazy lady who drank alot tried to burn it down. She claimed the place was haunted, and she kept hearing and seeing things. She rented the first floor, and set a fire int he basement. she had no car, so
    she waved down a farmer passing by for a ride into town. Upon returng, she
    was upset the fire went out, and it was clear she tried to burn it down.

I'm not sure how the upstairs was heated in the past, since the previous
    owner installed a new furnace with send and return ducts to both floors. The owners before her had installed baseboard heat in each room, and before that it's not even clear there was a single duct going upstairs. I can see where
    an old furnace used to be downstairs, but not sure if it was coal or oil powered. My father said his uncle would place bricks around his wood stove
    to warm them up, then wrap them in blankets and line his bed with them to
    keep warm.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to MRO on Wed Oct 30 16:55:00 2019
    By: MRO to Moondog on Tue Oct 29 2019 10:21 pm

By: Moondog to MRO on Mon Oct 28 2019 09:52 pm

When I was little, they used to tell us in school which side of the house safest, however I can't recall which one it was. All I can recall is a 1 differnce is enough to pop a roof off a house, and to open all the window the house before heading to the basement. This won't help if you're in t path of a tornado, however it will ensure you have a roof if the tornado
    nearby.

a ditch outside is probably safer than a house full of furnature or walls an debris to fall on you.

Flying debris would be worse outside in a ditch. The purpose made storm cellars were fairly confined spaces and built away from the house.

If I had to retreat to my basement, the floor beams are heavy enough to bear the weight, and the stairway would add extra protection

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to MRO on Wed Oct 30 17:08:00 2019

Where's "here"?

Here in California, most houses are built directly on concrete foundation no basements and no crawl space between the floor of the house and the

it's not worth putting in a basement because they're gonna burn down from forrest fires anyways. :D

man if a house doesnt have an attic, they really went cheap. there's a lot o benefits to an attic.

an attic is only convenient if you have practical space to use. I have a little fold out ladder going to the crawl space in what I guess could be
    called an attic, however it is completely unfinished and "floor" is not
    really design to bear the weight of people walking around up there. It's not practical to use it for storage.

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to MRO on Wed Oct 30 20:48:00 2019

I assumed he meant attic that was actually meant to store things in. I
    have an attic, but it was not really built to store things in, and there is
    no easy access. Some older homes here in this area actually have a stairway that leads up to the "attic room," but most homes built since 1970 (or
    before) are not built with attic access in mind.

---
    ■ SLMR 2.1a ■ Goodness! That was close! I almost gave a damn.
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Nightfox on Thu Oct 31 02:58:00 2019
    By: Nightfox to MRO on Wed Oct 30 2019 10:29 am

man if a house doesnt have an attic, they really went cheap. there's a of benefits to an attic.

I haven't seen a lot of houses in my area (Oregon) with attics these days.

Nightfox

Vaulted ceilings look cool, but all the heat rises to the top.

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to MRO on Thu Oct 31 21:24:00 2019
    i'm gonna ask some of my friends in other parts of the country what their experience is. i know overall it was pushed mid to late 70s in the usa.

That is my experience also, I think it was when Carter was President.

---
    ■ SLMR 2.1a ■ (a) Fast, (b) Reliable, (c) Inexpensive - Pick Two.