• I've been beaten by Wal*Mart

From Sprite@VERT/TINTETBB to All on Thu Dec 19 22:04:58 2019
    Okay, now this is kind of obscene. I actually decided to apply at a job where I had an inside recommendation, since I'm looking for something to fill the next 4 months until I'm into the welding school. The job was at WalMart. :| Let me be the first to tell you that I loathe their business practices and the stores in general, as well as the blatant consumerism that goes on there, but the needs of the family outweigh the needs of the cranky individual here. I can't find anything skilled in the area, despite my training, experience, and degree in computer programming, so I'm stuck with entry level stuff, and without being able to go back into cooking (which I'm no good at anyway), it doesn't leave much to apply for that I can find.

I had the inside track on the job, the guy said as soon as the application was across his desk that he'd hire me. Want to know the clincher? The damn automated screening survey weeded me out. I didn't pass it, so I didn't get the job.

I used to be able to bullshit those things in my sleep and make sure I'd appear like the perfect temperment for the positions. I could make it seem like I'd even be happy fulfilling that duty for the rest of my life. Now I can't pass one, what the hell? Have the surveys gotten that much better, or am I just losing my touch? Or could it be that even when I try, I just cannot now muster the fucks to fight for my own survival in this horrible capitalist system? I really don't know, and the whole situation has me a bit down...

I guess the one perk that's occurred lately is that I'm getting some paperwork from the job that I loathe but I'm on leave with (hopefully permanent leave if I can find something else for this last 4 months) that should verify that I'm receiving no wages so that I can get my rent and my food allowance adjusted so that I don't end up hungry and homeless with my son. :|

No offense meant to anybody who may work retail and enjoy it. It's just not for me. :P I need something with variety and problems solving or I go out of my mind. Unfortunately that's something that's very much lacking in the entry level job pool that I'm seeing in this city today. :|

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ My Brand-New BBS
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Sprite on Fri Dec 20 01:32:58 2019
    Re: I've been beaten by Wal*Mart
    By: Sprite to All on Thu Dec 19 2019 05:04 pm

Okay, now this is kind of obscene. I actually decided to apply at a job where I had an inside recommendation, since I'm looking for something to fill the next 4 months until I'm into the welding school. The job was at WalMart. :| Let me be the first to tell you that I loathe their business practices and the stores in general, as well as the blatant consumerism that goes on there, but the needs of the family outweigh the needs of the cranky individual here. I can't find anything skilled in the area, despite my training, experience, and degree in computer programming, so I'm stuck with

What?!? Sounds to me like you need to *move*. You have a degree in the most sought-after skill set, and you're applying for a retail position so you can get by until you go to welding school? What is this, Shameless? :-)

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #79:
    UDP = User Datagram Protocol
    Norco, CA WX: 56.1°F, 26.0% humidity, 0 mph WSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Sprite on Fri Dec 20 13:08:00 2019
    Sprite wrote to All <=-

Okay, now this is kind of obscene. I actually decided to apply at
    a job where I had an inside recommendation, since I'm looking for something to fill the next 4 months until I'm into the welding
    school. The job was at WalMart. :| Let me be the first to tell
    you that I loathe their business practices and the stores in
    general, as well as the blatant consumerism that goes on there,
    but the needs of the family outweigh the needs of the cranky
    individual here. I can't find anything skilled in the area,
    despite my training, experience, and degree in computer
    programming, so I'm stuck with entry level stuff, and without
    being able to go back into cooking (which I'm no good at anyway),
    it doesn't leave much to apply for that I can find.

I had the inside track on the job, the guy said as soon as the
    application was across his desk that he'd hire me. Want to know
    the clincher? The damn automated screening survey weeded me out.
    I didn't pass it, so I didn't get the job.

I used to be able to bullshit those things in my sleep and make
    sure I'd appear like the perfect temperment for the positions. I
    could make it seem like I'd even be happy fulfilling that duty
    for the rest of my life. Now I can't pass one, what the hell?
    Have the surveys gotten that much better, or am I just losing my
    touch? Or could it be that even when I try, I just cannot now
    muster the fucks to fight for my own survival in this horrible
    capitalist system? I really don't know, and the whole situation
    has me a bit down...

"Horrible capitalist system"? Are you in the wrong country?

I guess the one perk that's occurred lately is that I'm getting
    some paperwork from the job that I loathe but I'm on leave with
    (hopefully permanent leave if I can find something else for this
    last 4 months) that should verify that I'm receiving no wages so
    that I can get my rent and my food allowance adjusted so that I
    don't end up hungry and homeless with my son. :|

No offense meant to anybody who may work retail and enjoy it.
    It's just not for me. :P I need something with variety and
    problems solving or I go out of my mind. Unfortunately that's
    something that's very much lacking in the entry level job pool
    that I'm seeing in this city today. :|

I don't think anyone could describe a situation where the answer
    is more obvious.... It's time to move somewhere else!

... Internal Error: The system has been taken over by sheep at line 19960
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Sprite on Fri Dec 20 11:40:00 2019
    Sprite wrote to All <=-

I had the inside track on the job, the guy said as soon as the
    application was across his desk that he'd hire me. Want to know the clincher? The damn automated screening survey weeded me out. I didn't
    pass it, so I didn't get the job.

Is that one of those behavioral surveys with 100 or so yes.no questions
    about your feelings about various topics? Where they supposedly cross- reference answers against each other?

The job market has gotten strange with recruiters who ghost candidates after getting one oor two interviews into the process, an AI screening chatbot I
    was invited to discuss my qualifications with, automated surveys,
    "Behavioral Interviews", where each candidate gets the same questions
    written by a third party (with no chance of finding out about a candidate's specific qualifications) and an environment where I as a hiring manager
    didn't have the final say in hiring.

I don't know where it's going, and I don't see it any better than tried and true methods - except that it takes less effort for an HR team to propose a candidate.

... Imagine the music as a set of disconnected events
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Sprite@VERT/TINTETBB to Digital Man on Fri Dec 20 13:36:58 2019
    By: Digital Man to Sprite on Thu Dec 19 2019 20:32:58

What?!? Sounds to me like you need to *move*. You have a degree in the most sought-after skill set, and you're applying for a retail position so you can get by until you go to welding school? What is this, Shameless? :-)

I know, right? I need money that I don't have for that, too, though. I would've stayed on the west coast where I could get jobs easily but I had no help being a single father and needed family around in order to have childcare for working. Little did I know that it was yet another sneaky trap by this godforsaken upper midwest hell to lure me back in and rope me down.
    North Dakota really is the worst. I mean there's probably some places that are worse, but I could have a software engineering job pretty damn easily in other places in the country but here they just don't care. Bleh.
    Anyway, thank you all for allowing me that little bit of self-centered indulgent whining there. I had to get it out somewhere. :P

---
  • From Nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS to Sprite on Fri Dec 20 16:26:50 2019
    Sprite wrote:
    Okay, now this is kind of obscene. I actually decided to apply at a job where I had an inside recommendation, since I'm looking for something to fill the next 4 months until I'm into the welding school. The job was at WalMart. :| Let me be the first to tell you that I loathe their business practices and the stores in general, as well as the blatant consumerism that goes on there, but the needs of the family outweigh the needs of the cranky individual here. I can't find anything skilled in the area, despite my training, experience, and degree in computer programming, so I'm stuck with entry level stuff, and without being able to go back into cooking (which I'm no good at anyway), it doesn't leave much to apply for that I can find.

I had the inside track on the job, the guy said as soon as the application was across his desk that he'd hire me. Want to know the clincher? The damn automated screening survey weeded me out. I didn't pass it, so I didn't get the job.

I used to be able to bullshit those things in my sleep and make sure I'd appear like the perfect temperment for the positions. I could make it seem like I'd even be happy fulfilling that duty for the rest of my life. Now I can't pass one, what the hell? Have the surveys gotten that much better, or am I just losing my touch? Or could it be that even when I try, I just cannot now muster the fucks to fight for my own survival in this horrible capitalist system? I really don't know, and the whole situation has me a bit down...

I guess the one perk that's occurred lately is that I'm getting some paperwork
    from the job that I loathe but I'm on leave with (hopefully permanent leave if I can find something else for this last 4 months) that should verify that I'm receiving no wages so that I can get my rent and my food allowance adjusted so that I don't end up hungry and homeless with my son. :|

No offense meant to anybody who may work retail and enjoy it. It's just not for me. :P I need something with variety and problems solving or I go out of my mind. Unfortunately that's something that's very much lacking in the entry level job pool that I'm seeing in this city today. :|

---

Maybe checkout indeed.com and see what work from home positions they may
    have available to you.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
  • From HusTler@VERT/HAVENS to Sprite on Fri Dec 20 18:31:24 2019

where I had an inside recommendation, since I'm looking for something to fill the next 4 months until I'm into the welding school. The job was at

Welder eh? I was a welder for a number of years. What school are you planning to attend? What welding process do you want to pursue? Check out my welding page at http://heliarc.sdf.org. Stick with it. It sure beats working for Walmart the rest of your life. As far as jobs go, any welding job you apply for will give you a welding test. They don't care about all the BS other jobs want to know. Your "bead" (weld) tells it all. Good luck!

H A V E N S B B S havens.synchro.net:23

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Havens BBS havens.synchro.net
  • From HusTler@VERT/HAVENS to Sprite on Fri Dec 20 18:38:49 2019
    Re: Re: I've been beaten by Wal*Mart
    By: Nelgin to Sprite on Fri Dec 20 2019 11:26 am

Maybe checkout indeed.com and see what work from home positions they may have available to you.

Check out Mturk.com if you need some extra cash. You can work and go to welding school at the same time.

---
  • From Sprite@VERT/TINTETBB to Gamgee on Fri Dec 20 15:51:48 2019
    By: Gamgee to Sprite on Fri Dec 20 2019 08:08:00

Yes.

---
  • From Sprite@VERT/TINTETBB to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Dec 20 15:57:34 2019
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Sprite on Fri Dec 20 2019 06:40:00

Is that one of those behavioral surveys with 100 or so yes.no questions about your feelings about various topics? Where they supposedly cross- reference answers against each other?

Yup.

The job market has gotten strange with recruiters who ghost candidates after getting one oor two interviews into the process, an AI screening chatbot I was invited to discuss my qualifications with, automated surveys, "Behavioral Interviews", where each candidate gets the same questions written by a third party (with no chance of finding out about a candidate's specific qualifications) and an environment where I as a hiring manager didn't have the final say in hiring.

Now that is pretty strange. I don't understand this late stage capitalism at all, I'm afraid. *sigh*

---
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Sprite on Sat Dec 21 01:44:00 2019
    Sprite wrote to Gamgee <=-

Yes.

I hear Venezuela is nice this time of year.

... All hope abandon, ye who enter messages here.
  • From Sprite@VERT/TINTETBB to HusTler on Fri Dec 20 23:21:03 2019
    By: HusTler to Sprite on Fri Dec 20 2019 13:31:24

Welder eh? I was a welder for a number of years. What school are you planning to attend? What welding process do you want to pursue? Check out my welding page at http://heliarc.sdf.org. Stick with it. It sure beats working for Walmart the rest of your life. As far as jobs go, any welding job you apply for will give you a welding test. They don't care about all the BS other jobs want to know. Your "bead" (weld) tells it all. Good luck!

I'm going to be going to Lynnes Welding Training. It's a small school in Bismarck, ND, and Fargo, ND (I believe). I'm not sure how big the one in Fargo is, but the one in Bismarck is pretty tiny with only 12 students taken in per session.
    I'm going to be going into a 12 week course that covers all of the major types of welding, which is just as well for me being as I really don't know anything about it other than it pays better than carpentry around here and isn't seasonal like carpentry. So at least I'll be well rounded enough to fit into whatever position looks the best for my needs around here (ie not being able to travel due to single parenting, etc). Although I've heard that pipe welding is a bit trickier to master. I guess after the first month or two in to the program you can pick what type you want to 'major' in (for lack of a better term), by which time hopefully I'll know enough to make a decent decision considering both my aptitude for the different types and what kinds of work ther are around here for each type. They also do free certifications, if you're up to par for it, so I'm hoping to cash in on some of those.
    One thing I'm worried about is how much I might have to cut down my caffeine habit to make sure that my bead doesn't suck any more than it has to. I've normally got pretty steady hands, but with the intensive nature of the course I'm a little concerned that I'm going to be hitting the coffee too hard and that it may affect how well I'm doing with everything there. Guess I'll just have to be careful and try not to exceed my 3-4 cups per day no matter what.
    I'll check out the site soon as I'm back at a computer with graphical capabilities again. Thanks for the link and the info, I definitely appreciate it. Can you tell me what the most challenging aspect of the welding process was for you? I'm still concerned that I'm 'not going to be able to get it' just because I've had so many opportunities not work out for me at this point, so I'm kind of trying to get ahead in any way I can here, and to look for any information that may help me in that regard a bit.
    Have a good one!

---
  • From Sprite@VERT/TINTETBB to HusTler on Fri Dec 20 23:21:34 2019
    By: HusTler to Sprite on Fri Dec 20 2019 13:38:49

Check out Mturk.com if you need some extra cash. You can work and go to welding school at the same time.

Oh that's right, I used to be on there forever ago. I'll check that out, thank you for the reminder!

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to SPRITE on Sat Dec 21 00:58:00 2019
    No offense meant to anybody who may work retail and enjoy it. It's just not fo
    me. :P I need something with variety and problems solving or I go out of my m
    ind. Unfortunately that's something that's very much lacking in the entry leve
    job pool that I'm seeing in this city today. :|

I worked in retail when I was younger. What drove me mad about it was that
    it was not predictable... I worked the registers so maybe that is why.
    Anyway, now that I have been in IT for 25 years, I am really longing for something that is predictable. I am really tired of working on "projects" where you are at the whim of management that does not understand what they
    are managing, and the whim of the gremlins in the machines.

* SLMR 2.1a * The flush toilet is the basis of western civilization.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From HusTler@VERT/HAVENS to Sprite on Sat Dec 21 13:28:24 2019
    Re: I've been beaten by Wal*Mart[7~Re:
    By: Sprite to HusTler on Fri Dec 20 2019 06:21 pm

Welder eh? I was a welder for a number of years. What school are you planning to attend? What welding process do you want to pursue? Check out my

I'm going to be going to Lynnes Welding Training. It's a small school in Bismarck, ND, and Fargo, ND (I believe). I'm not sure how big the one in Fargo
    to single parenting, etc). Although I've heard that pipe welding is a bit trickier to master. I guess after the first month or two in to the program you

You need to look into what welding jobs are available in your area. Are there any factories in your area? Factories employ a lot of Mig welders. It's one of the easiest processes to learn but pays the least. Anyone can learn Mig welding in a day or two. Tig welding is used in sheet metal factories. If you can learn to weld aluminum you can get paid well TIG welding Aircraft and Aerospace industries. If you have alot of building construction going on learning ARC welding is your ticket into getting into the Iron workers union , steam fitters union or plumbers union. ARC is hard to learn and takes years to master but pays the most. Good luck and don't sweat the small stuff.

---
  • From Sprite@VERT/TINTETBB to Gamgee on Sat Dec 21 10:59:25 2019
    By: Gamgee to Sprite on Fri Dec 20 2019 20:44:00

Chile would be my choice on that continent, preferably.

---
  • From Havok@VERT/HWBBS to HusTler on Sat Dec 21 19:02:28 2019
    By: HusTler to Sprite on Sat Dec 21 2019 08:28 am

to single parenting, etc). Although I've heard that pipe welding is a
    bit trickier to master. I guess after the first month or two in to
    the program you

I am/was a certified welder and yes stick pipe welders are the best of the
    best. Too much for me, I mostly did meg and tig welding while building
    concept cars for GM Engineering.

Big, big money though and better have GOOD eyes for doing it. On the bright
    side you wont be old in -1 degree weather welding a 10 to 30 inch pipe all
    the way around with a perfect bead.

Havok

... The earth is a hollow shell and we live on the inside.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ If it's not Broken, why fix it!
  • From Sprite@VERT/TINTETBB to Dumas Walker on Sat Dec 21 17:47:48 2019
    Re: I've been beaten by Wal*M
    By: Dumas Walker to SPRITE on Fri Dec 20 2019 19:58:00

I worked in retail when I was younger. What drove me mad about it was that it was not predictable... I worked the registers so maybe that is why. Anyway, now that I have been in IT for 25 years, I am really longing for something that is predictable. I am really tired of working on "projects" where you are at the whim of management that does not understand what they are managing, and the whim of the gremlins in the machines.

I don't know how people can do it, honestly. Then again I've never really been a social person at all. I ascribe this to my parents beatings and other abuse, primarily. I could handle a stocking job probably, but one where I'd be public facing at all times would likely kill me.
    I was in IT for a few years, but opportunities are so few and far between here that my skills 'lapse' (according to the employers) in these interim periods and then I need money that I don't have in order to go back to school and prove that I'm still current. And, of course, at least in this area, Coursera and other free places online aren't good enough for them. So I'm stuck developing free software in my spare time just for something to do and to keep my skills alive (for what reason I honestly don't know).
    I totally understand what you're saying about management. One of the jobs I had had an owner/manager who had been fired by the other corporation that he started up for micromanaging. The one I worked at was his pet project/hobby and he micromanaged that one into the very ground. The IT department was the place that he enjoyed screwing with the most and it was so bad that I finally had to say something about it. Which was a big mistake, of course, but I was younger and more impetuous at that point.
    So we'll see how welding goes. It doesn't look like it's going to be that stimulating, but I'm really hoping that not being around the public and doing skilled work (with a decent paycheck) will keep me going in the field at least long enough so that I can get my old student loans paid off and go back to school. We'll see what happens...

---
  • From Sprite@VERT/TINTETBB to HusTler on Sat Dec 21 17:51:28 2019
    By: HusTler to Sprite on Sat Dec 21 2019 08:28:24

You need to look into what welding jobs are available in your area. Are there any factories in your area? Factories employ a lot of Mig welders. It's one of the easiest processes to learn but pays the least. Anyone can learn Mig welding in a day or two. Tig welding is used in sheet metal factories. If you can learn to weld aluminum you can get paid well TIG welding Aircraft and Aerospace industries. If you have alot of building construction going on learning ARC welding is your ticket into getting into the Iron workers union , steam fitters union or plumbers union. ARC is hard to learn and takes years to master but pays the most. Good luck and don't sweat the small stuff.

There is one Bobcat factory, but they only hire for the 3rd shift and then as people gain seniority they can switch to the other shifts. So that's not really an option for me due to the schedule (single parenting and all of that). I see a lot of other welding positions, especially certified welding positions, available on the different job banks, but I'm really not sure what kinds of environments they're in or what kinds of welding techniques they're looking for (now that I've familiarized myself a bit more with what's on your welding site). I guess I should probably try contacting some of them to find out a bit better what's going on. I guess pipe welding is kind of big around here, though the people at the school told me it's the most difficult stuff that they teach.
    I'll do some digging and try to learn a little more about what's going on in the area. At least it'll give me some more information on what to focus on for the most benefit in training here. I do know an iron worker around here who says that the pay is excellent, but, then again, union hours and travel is probably something that I wouldn't be able to handle for a couple of more years because of my son here.

---
  • From HusTler@VERT/HAVENS to Sprite on Sun Dec 22 02:27:03 2019
    Re: Re: I've been beaten by Wal*Mart[7~Re:
    By: Sprite to HusTler on Sat Dec 21 2019 12:51 pm

I'll do some digging and try to learn a little more about what's going on in the area. At least it'll give me some more information on what to focus on for the most benefit in training here. I do know an iron worker around

Thats s good idea. Does the school your going do placement? Most do. Once you get close to graduating go door to door and let employers your fresh out of school. You'll find something right away. If you plan on BSing your way in you'll get busted your first day. ;-) I'm hearing a lot of excuses from you. That has to stop now. Setting yourself up for failure is no way to go through life. If not for yourself then for your son.

---
  • From HusTler@VERT/HAVENS to Sprite on Sun Dec 22 02:35:25 2019

I'll do some digging and try to learn a little more about what's going on in the area. At least it'll give me some more information on what to focus on for the most benefit in training here. I do know an iron worker around

Thats s good idea. Does the school your going to do placement? Most do. Once you get close to graduating go door to door and let employers know your fresh out of school and eager to learn. You'll find something right away if your willing to start at the bottom. If you plan on BSing your way in you'll get busted your first day. ;-) Also I'm hearing a lot of excuses from you. That has to stop today!. Setting yourself up for failure is no way to go through life. Do it for yourself if not for for your son. Be an example and teach him how to never give up. You can do anything you want in life if your willing to show up each day and work hard. ;-)

---
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Sprite on Sun Dec 22 03:34:45 2019
    By: Sprite to Gamgee on Sat Dec 21 2019 05:59 am

By: Gamgee to Sprite on Fri Dec 20 2019 20:44:00

I've been to Chile and it is very nice. Great mountains.

I only suggested Venezuela since you are against "horrible capitalism"..., and Venezuela is of course a socialist utopia, so I thought you'd like it there. I'm sure the government there would provide for all your needs, free of charge.

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Sprite on Sat Dec 21 18:21:00 2019
    Sprite wrote to Digital Man <=-

North Dakota really is the worst. I mean there's probably some
    places that are worse, but I could have a software engineering job
    pretty damn easily in other places in the country but here they just
    don't care.

Remote work is all the rage, have you looked into some of the job sites catering to remote jobs? Ideally, the cost of living is lower where you are and you can provide your services at a lower cost.

Home computer repair services aren't sexy, but they pay the bills.

--- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Dumas Walker on Sat Dec 21 18:23:00 2019
    Dumas Walker wrote to SPRITE <=-

I am really tired of
    working on "projects" where you are at the whim of management that does not understand what they are managing, and the whim of the gremlins in
    the machines.

Funny, I'm tired of keeping the lights on and looking for project work.

... Have you ever asked a question you weren't supposed to ask?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Gamgee on Sun Dec 22 16:33:41 2019
    By: Gamgee to Sprite on Sat Dec 21 2019 10:34 pm

Probably not 100% relevant to the thread, but I've been to Brazil a few times. It's the only country in South America I've been to, but I think there are a lot of good people there. They have a very friendly and hospitable culture. Of course, like any place, it's not perfect.. Many products there are very expensive (at least partially due to high taxes on imports), and it seems like it's often difficult for people to afford good housing. Also it seems there's a lot of political corruption there, or perhaps people there complain more about it. Around 2011-2012 or so, I heard about the Brazilian government re-locating a slum in Rio De Janeiro to get ready for hosting the olympics, and many people were loudly complaining that the Brazilian government seemed to prioritize something like hosting the olympics over helping its own poor people. Also, there was the scandal with their previous president Lula providing (illegal?) funding for their Petrobras oil company.

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Dec 22 16:43:41 2019
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Sprite on Sat Dec 21 2019 01:21 pm

Remote work is all the rage, have you looked into some of the job sites catering to remote jobs? Ideally, the cost of living is lower where you are and you can provide your services at a lower cost.

In 2009, I was looking for work and was contacted by a couple people at a company in a town they said had a low cost of living, and so they said the company would pay about $30,000/year for the job they were contacting me about. I thought that would be a rather low salary anywhere.. Even if that was a low-cost town, that would have been a significant pay cut for me at the time.

Nightfox

---
  • From Sprite@VERT/TINTETBB to Gamgee on Sun Dec 22 18:15:01 2019
    By: Gamgee to Sprite on Sat Dec 21 2019 22:34:45

I only suggested Venezuela since you are against "horrible capitalism"..., and Venezuela is of course a socialist utopia, so I thought you'd like it there. I'm sure the government there would provide for all your needs, free of charge.

I'm against _horrible_ capitalism. Corrupt capitalism. _THIS_ capitalism. I didn't say anything about capitalism in general, though I think a system that's not based on human greed as a supposed 'virtue' would probably work a little better for the 99%.

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Sun Dec 22 21:27:00 2019
    Dumas Walker wrote to SPRITE <=-

I am really tired of
    working on "projects" where you are at the whim of management that does not understand what they are managing, and the whim of the gremlins in the machines.

Funny, I'm tired of keeping the lights on and looking for project work.

Well, 90% of the time I am working OT on a project, it is because someone
    f-ed something up... not by accident but because they took the project down
    an path everyone knew was idiotic and they (too late) finally change course.

Our projects seem to be all set up to burn people out and ruin careers (but
    not of those who managed it). We are about to start another one and I am
    not looking forward to all of the BS. If you are planning a bunch of OT
    from the get go, you are planning it wrong.

Now, nearly 100% of OT on keep the lights on tasks is because someone
    goofed, too, but at least it is not several hours a day, 7 days a week. Usually, that is 2-3 hours over a day or two max and it is almost always because of an accident.

* SLMR 2.1a * Man, that lightning sounds closõ¯¨©~®Ô NO CARRIER

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Nightfox on Mon Dec 23 00:02:00 2019
    Nightfox wrote to Gamgee <=-

Probably not 100% relevant to the thread, but I've been to Brazil
    a few times. It's the only country in South America I've been
    to, but I think there are a lot of good people there. They have
    a very friendly and hospitable culture. Of course, like any
    place, it's not perfect.. Many products there are very expensive
    (at least partially due to high taxes on imports), and it seems
    like it's often difficult for people to afford good housing.
    Also it seems there's a lot of political corruption there, or
    perhaps people there complain more about it. Around 2011-2012 or
    so, I heard about the Brazilian government re-locating a slum in
    Rio De Janeiro to get ready for hosting the olympics, and many
    people were loudly complaining that the Brazilian government
    seemed to prioritize something like hosting the olympics over
    helping its own poor people. Also, there was the scandal with
    their previous president Lula providing (illegal?) funding for
    their Petrobras oil company.

Yes, agreed, Brazil has plenty of corruption - no doubt about
    that. I've been to Rio de Janeiro a few times and if one gets off
    the beaten path a little and looks around, it's like there are
    "false store fronts" in the major tourist areas. In places like
    Copacabana and/or Ipanema Beach, there is a thin layer that the
    tourist public sees - all the nice clubs, restaurants, etc..., and
    then, if you go only a block or two "inland", you are in absolute
    and abject poverty. The transition is amazing, it's almost like
    there is a line drawn between the two parts. Quite sad to see.

... All hope abandon, ye who enter messages here.
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Sprite on Mon Dec 23 00:05:00 2019

I'm against _horrible_ capitalism. Corrupt capitalism. _THIS_ capitalism. I didn't say anything about capitalism in general,
    though I think a system that's not based on human greed as a
    supposed 'virtue' would probably work a little better for the
    99%.

Well, corruption is never good, but it's also impossible to be
    completely free of it, no matter where you are. The USA's version
    of capitalism is probably the best (least corrupt) that you'd ever
    find, though. Not perfect, but nothing is. I like to think of
    our system as not based on "greed", but on "opportunity". The
    term "The American Dream" is a real thing, and doesn't exist
    anywhere else.

... All the easy problems have been solved.
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Sprite on Mon Dec 23 02:10:39 2019

needs of the family outweigh the needs of the cranky individual here. I can' find anything skilled in the area, despite my training, experience, and degr in computer programming, so I'm stuck with entry level stuff, and without be able to go back into cooking (which I'm no good at anyway), it doesn't leave much to apply for that I can find.

I had the inside track on the job, the guy said as soon as the application w across his desk that he'd hire me. Want to know the clincher? The damn automated screening survey weeded me out. I didn't pass it, so I didn't get job.

okay, i actually took that test because i was looking for side work in october and i have a walmart right by me.

you must have really answered those questions horribly to fail that thing.
    16 year old kids pass that thing. and they are high as fuck.

what you are saying about your background and you training and having to go back to entry level doesnt really add up.

i think you are somewhat mentally ill and you have some personlity defects.
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Digital Man on Mon Dec 23 02:15:38 2019
    By: Digital Man to Sprite on Thu Dec 19 2019 08:32 pm

well there's certainly more to this story.

on another note, welders can make decent money if they find the right company.

he could have been working at amazon and making 25/hr right now but i'm sure he would have another complaint about that.

also at amazon if the worker is there for 1 year they have training on site
    for CDL and welding. and amazon pays for everything upfront. at the amazon near me they have classes right on site.

if i were to start over at the bottom [which i have a lot of skills so i never would have to start at the bottom.], i would go with amazon.

you can make as much money as you want at amazon. plenty of hours to pick up. ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Dec 23 02:17:13 2019
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Sprite on Fri Dec 20 2019 06:40 am

clincher? The damn automated screening survey weeded me out. I didn't pass it, so I didn't get the job.

Is that one of those behavioral surveys with 100 or so yes.no questions about your feelings about various topics? Where they supposedly cross-

no, it's store related. they ask you questions and you have like 3 answers to pick from. it's about helping customers.

there's nothing tricky about it.

i dont know how anybody can fail it.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to HusTler on Mon Dec 23 02:19:09 2019
    By: HusTler to Sprite on Fri Dec 20 2019 01:38 pm

By: Nelgin to Sprite on Fri Dec 20 2019 11:26 am

Maybe checkout indeed.com and see what work from home positions they may have available to you.

oh god i tried that years ago. it was shitty then. is it still shitty?
    seemed like a lot of hours for pennies.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Sprite on Mon Dec 23 02:24:11 2019
    By: Sprite to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Dec 20 2019 10:57 am

By: poindexter FORTRAN to Sprite on Fri Dec 20 2019 06:40:00

Is that one of those behavioral surveys with 100 or so yes.no questions about your feelings about various topics? Where they supposedly cross- reference answers against each other?

Yup.

hold on. that's not the test they gave you.
    i took the walmart test.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Sprite on Mon Dec 23 03:10:48 2019

hey didnt you work in a pancake house or something like that?
    ---
  • From Dr. What@VERT/DMINE to Gamgee on Mon Dec 23 22:43:00 2019
    Gamgee wrote to Sprite <=-

Yes.

If you are looking to lose weight, I hear that Venezuela is the place to go.

■ Synchronet ■ Diamond Mine Online BBS - bbs.dmine.net:24 - Fredericksburg, VA USA
  • From Dr. What@VERT/DMINE to Sprite on Mon Dec 23 22:47:00 2019

I'm against _horrible_ capitalism. Corrupt capitalism. _THIS_ capitalism. I didn't say anything about capitalism in general, though
    I think a system that's not based on human greed as a supposed 'virtue' would probably work a little better for the 99%.

Just when I thought that only AOC could say the stupidist things....

■ Synchronet ■ Diamond Mine Online BBS - bbs.dmine.net:24 - Fredericksburg, VA USA
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Nightfox on Mon Dec 23 12:52:00 2019
    Nightfox wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

In 2009, I was looking for work and was contacted by a couple people at
    a company in a town they said had a low cost of living, and so they
    said the company would pay about $30,000/year for the job they were contacting me about. I thought that would be a rather low salary anywhere.. Even if that was a low-cost town, that would have been a significant pay cut for me at the time.

True, but a foot in the door is a foot in the door... Seeing towns that have
    1 bedroom apartments for $325 instead of $3250 would make a big difference.

Remote work, trading time for money for a single employer would be a foot in the door, as I'd said. The next step would be to find a way to market your services to multiple employers, maybe throw in a side hustle, and try to
    find a way to productize what you do/like so you're not trading time for dollars, but instead move to a product model.

Easier said then done, I'm afraid.

... What is the reality of the situation?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Dumas Walker on Mon Dec 23 12:56:00 2019
    Dumas Walker wrote to POINDEXTER FORTRAN <=-

Well, 90% of the time I am working OT on a project, it is because
    someone f-ed something up... not by accident but because they took the project down an path everyone knew was idiotic and they (too late)
    finally change course.

I always shake my head when I hear a project manager blaming a project
    overrun on the guys on the ground. If the work takes longer than you
    thought, or there were unforseen delays it's not the worker's or the
    weather's fault. Your poor planning caused it. They'll try to dance around
    it, of course.

The best projects I worked on were ones where the PM and I worked closely, inside and outside of project status meetings, so they knew exactly what I knew. The ones where a certified project manager couldn't be bothered to
    work alongside me usually ended up sideways.

Our projects seem to be all set up to burn people out and ruin careers (but not of those who managed it). We are about to start another one
    and I am not looking forward to all of the BS. If you are planning a bunch of OT from the get go, you are planning it wrong.

Time to sell yourself as a PM with real world experience who can turn
    projects in on-time and on-budget. Learning how to push back on scope creep and moving targets would be the real hurdle for you.

... What is the reality of the situation?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to poindexter FORTRAN on Tue Dec 24 16:11:24 2019
    Re: Re: I've been beaten by W
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Dumas Walker on Mon Dec 23 2019 07:56 am

I always shake my head when I hear a project manager blaming a project overrun on the guys on the ground. If the work takes longer than you thought, or there were unforseen delays it's not the worker's or the weather's fault. Your poor planning caused it. They'll try to dance around it, of course.

If it's something like poor planning, perhaps (at least in the back of their mind) they'll think that's still the works' fault because they're the ones who did the planning. I still don't think that's really fair though. You can't know exactly how long something will take, so it can be hard to predict how much it will cost, etc.. I suppose that's where things like agile/scrum come in (for software projects, anyway) - The idea being that you plan the features you want and add/drop them according to how much time you have, and still deliver something at regular intervals (though it might not be exactly what you originally planned for at that time).

My team at my most recent job had been using agile/scrum for the past several years, and one thing that was common the whole time was under-estimating the amount of time things would take, and thus, often some things wouldn't get finished in the current "sprint" and would have to be continued to the next sprint. We got a little better at that, but it still always seemed to happen. I had heard management sometimes questioned why weren't always finishing everything, but I think we were still getting used to scrum/agile. Also the managers often seemed busy doing managerial things and weren't fully involved in our day-to-day work to get the projects done.

Nightfox

---