• Re: drivers license/passp

From Kevin@VERT/MMN to NIGHTFOX on Tue May 5 16:08:00 2020
    On 04/05/2020 22:51, NIGHTFOX wrote to OGG:

I thought all valid feeds with posting privileges were established with
    only known and passworded accounts.

Someone could just create an account on a BBS and post it. The message did have a
    "From" name associated with it.

It's your basic forum spambot, it finds a signup form, does it, logs in, then does it's evil
    magic. One of the negative points of having a web based interface in this new age.

-Kevin

---
    ■ wcQWK 6.0 ≈ MMN :: (416) 548-4117 :: dial.bbs.ec :: www.bbs.ec
  • From Ogg@VERT/EOTLBBS to Kevin on Tue May 5 18:24:00 2020
    Hello Kevin!

** On Tuesday 05.05.20 - 08:08, kevin wrote to NIGHTFOX:

It's your basic forum spambot, it finds a signup form, does it, logs in,
    then does it's evil magic. One of the negative points of having a web
    based interface in this new age.

Wouldn't a captcha prevent that?

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to Ogg on Tue May 5 21:38:09 2020
    Re: Re: drivers license/passp
    By: Ogg to Kevin on Tue May 05 2020 14:24:00

kevin>> It's your basic forum spambot, it finds a signup form, does it, logs in,
    kevin>> then does it's evil magic. One of the negative points of having a web
    kevin>> based interface in this new age.

likely not... in some cases the bots simply OCR the captcha graphic... in others, they send it to a human farm and let them send back the code...

)\/(ark

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Kevin on Tue May 5 22:29:19 2020
    By: Kevin to NIGHTFOX on Tue May 05 2020 12:08 pm

On 04/05/2020 22:51, NIGHTFOX wrote to OGG:

I thought all valid feeds with posting privileges were established w only known and passworded accounts.

Someone could just create an account on a BBS and post it. The message d have a
    "From" name associated with it.

It's your basic forum spambot, it finds a signup form, does it, logs in, the does it's evil
    magic. One of the negative points of having a web based interface in this n age.

i took out the ability to apply online, i think other people should consider it too.
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Rampage on Tue May 5 21:23:57 2020
    By: Rampage to Ogg on Tue May 05 2020 05:38 pm

logs in, kevin>> then does it's evil magic. One of the negative points of having a web kevin>> based interface in this new age.

likely not... in some cases the bots simply OCR the captcha graphic... in others, they send it to a human farm and let them send back the code...

Captchas often have you do things like "Find all cars in this photo". I don't think OCR is going to help a bot do that, unless there's some AI to find all of what it's asking for in the captcha photo.

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to Nightfox on Wed May 6 07:54:14 2020
    By: Nightfox to Rampage on Tue May 05 2020 17:23:57

likely not... in some cases the bots simply OCR the captcha graphic...
    in others, they send it to a human farm and let them send back the
    code...

Nightfox> Captchas often have you do things like "Find all cars in this photo".

that's only some of the newer stuff... those they link to a real human as i mentioned ;)

Nightfox> I don't think OCR is going to help a bot do that, unless
    Nightfox> there's some AI to find all of what it's asking for in the
    Nightfox> captcha photo.

that could easily happen... it isn't like they cannot be gathering all the presented pictures, building a library of them, and training code to find the right ones... there's a lot of people out there with way too much time on their hands who are willing to do whatever it takes to get around security in any way they can...

)\/(ark

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Rampage on Wed May 6 12:24:57 2020
    By: Rampage to Nightfox on Wed May 06 2020 03:54 am

Nightfox> I don't think OCR is going to help a bot do that, unless Nightfox> there's some AI to find all of what it's asking for in the Nightfox> captcha photo.

that could easily happen... it isn't like they cannot be gathering all the presented pictures, building a library of them, and training code to find the right ones... there's a lot of people out there with way too much time on their hands who are willing to do whatever it takes to get around security in any way they can...

Well OCR is Optical Character Recognition and is meant for recognizing writing. It would need something other than OCR to recognize shapes of objects & such.

Nightfox

---
  • From echicken to Nightfox on Wed May 6 15:59:59 2020
    By: Nightfox to Rampage on Wed May 06 2020 08:24:57

Well OCR is Optical Character Recognition and is meant for recognizing writing. It would need
    something other than OCR to recognize shapes of objects & such.

IIRC they're using this "click on pictures that contain bicycles" data to train AIs / improve pattern recognition, so eventually it'll become a self-defeating technique.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Kevin@VERT/MMN to OGG on Wed May 6 09:43:00 2020
    On 05/05/2020 14:24, OGG wrote to Kevin:

It's your basic forum spambot, it finds a signup form, does it, logs in, then does it's evil magic. One of the negative points of having a web based interface in this new age.

Sometimes, but honestly not too often. The amount of trash I get through some of my
    web forms is unreal and that's using Google's reCaptcha, not by choice either some of the
    other homebrew solutions I had didn't do much.

-Kevin
    ---
  • From Kevin@VERT/MMN to MRO on Wed May 6 09:53:00 2020
    On 05/05/2020 18:29, MRO wrote to Kevin:

It's your basic forum spambot, it finds a signup form, does it, logs in, the
    does it's evil
    magic. One of the negative points of having a web based interface in this n
    age.

i took out the ability to apply online, i think other people should consider it
    too.

In theory it should be the default setting and then the SysOp can switch it on if they want,
    last thing anybody wants is a bad player with access to send emails and spam BBS
    networks

-Kevin
    ---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to echicken on Wed May 6 13:42:28 2020
    By: echicken to Nightfox on Wed May 06 2020 11:59 am

Well OCR is Optical Character Recognition and is meant for
    recognizing writing. It would need something other than OCR to
    recognize shapes of objects & such.

IIRC they're using this "click on pictures that contain bicycles" data to train AIs / improve pattern recognition, so eventually it'll become a self-defeating technique.

Now that you mention it, I think I've heard something about that.

Nightfox

---
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to Nightfox on Wed May 6 16:46:06 2020

Well OCR is Optical Character Recognition and is meant for recognizing writing. It would need something other than OCR to recognize shapes of objects & such.

i know exactly what OCR is, man... these forum spam bots will use it when they can... other times they will get a human involved... then there's the new "pick all the pics with blah" stuff that is easy enough for them to gather all the pics and generate hashes for each one to work with as they get human feedback to solve... this isn't rocket science, ya know?

i won't even mention the years i've been an operator and moderator of forums that were incessantly attacked by these bots... neither will i mention that's i've had copies of these bots sent to me at times so i could see what they were doing so as to be able to build defenses against...

)\/(ark

---
  • From Ogg@VERT/EOTLBBS to Kevin on Thu May 7 01:10:00 2020
    Hello Kevin!

** On Wednesday 06.05.20 - 01:43, kevin wrote to OGG:

It's your basic forum spambot, it finds a signup form, does it, logs
    in..

Sometimes, but honestly not too often. The amount of trash I get through some of my web forms is unreal and that's using Google's reCaptcha, not by choice either some of the other homebrew solutions I had didn't do much.

[1] enter chars 1,3,5 in this string: fjdksian
    [2] enter chars 5,1,3 in this string: mw9sj6lso
    [3] enter all the chars except chars 1,3,5,6 in this string: kwoxpz2dk

etc.. You get the idea.

It would be hard to build an AI bot around that especially if you keep randomizing the challenges. Even if the challenge were relayed to a
    hacker human as Mark/rampage mentioned, it would get frustrating for them, fast.

What kind of challenges did your system have that you gave up on?

---
  • From Ogg@VERT/EOTLBBS to All on Thu May 7 04:04:00 2020
    Hello Rampage!

** On Wednesday 06.05.20 - 12:46, rampage wrote to Nightfox:

i know exactly what OCR is, man... these forum spam bots will use it when they can... other times they will get a human involved... then there's the new "pick all the pics with blah" stuff that is easy enough for them to gather all the pics and generate hashes for each one to work with as they
    get human feedback to solve... this isn't rocket science, ya know?

It's easy enough to foil the "gather all the pics and generate hashes" approach by never using the same combination of pics again.

The "gathering all the pics" would be a fruitless project that never ends
    if the pics are replaced with new material and the old stuff discarded.

i won't even mention the years i've been an operator and moderator of forums that were incessantly attacked by these bots... neither will i mention
    that's i've had copies of these bots sent to me at times so i could see what they were doing so as to be able to build defenses against...

It's a spy .vs. spy, attack, counter-attack scenario. :/

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Thu May 7 02:56:28 2020
    By: Nightfox to Rampage on Tue May 05 2020 05:23 pm

Captchas often have you do things like "Find all cars in this photo". I don think OCR is going to help a bot do that, unless there's some AI to find all what it's asking for in the captcha photo.

like mark said, they have a script for it or they send it to a human who gets paid one penny and it gets sent back.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to echicken on Thu May 7 03:07:48 2020

IIRC they're using this "click on pictures that contain bicycles" data to tr AIs / improve pattern recognition, so eventually it'll become a self-defeati technique.

if you think about it, it cant be THAT hard to create a routine that works the way our brain does. look at the shape of something to figure out if it's a train or building. or a stop light.
    ---
  • From echicken to MRO on Thu May 7 04:30:58 2020
    By: MRO to echicken on Wed May 06 2020 23:07:48

if you think about it, it cant be THAT hard to create a routine that works the
    way our brain does. look at the shape of something to figure out if it's a train or building. or a stop light.

Yep; this technology already exists and is used every day - with varying degrees of success. Eventually it'll become good enough and cheap/fast enough that even spam bots will use it (if they don't already).

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Dennisk@VERT/MINDSEYE to Ogg on Thu May 7 17:02:04 2020
    By: Ogg to Kevin on Wed May 06 2020 09:10 pm

It would be hard to build an AI bot around that especially if you keep randomizing the challenges. Even if the challenge were relayed to a
    hacker human as Mark/rampage mentioned, it would get frustrating for them, fast.

I'd like to see a captcha which requires you to finish a small Doom level. It would be more fun than clicking squares with bikes, and the AI can't do this yet.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Mind's Eye - mindseye.ddns.net - Melbourne Australia
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to Ogg on Thu May 7 13:29:11 2020
    By: Ogg to All on Thu May 07 2020 00:04:00

Rampage>> i know exactly what OCR is, man... these forum spam bots will
    Rampage>> use it when they can... other times they will get a human
    Rampage>> involved... then there's the new "pick all the pics with blah"
    Rampage>> stuff that is easy enough for them to gather all the pics and
    Rampage>> generate hashes for each one to work with as they get human
    Rampage>> feedback to solve... this isn't rocket science, ya know?

It's easy enough to foil the "gather all the pics and generate hashes" approach by never using the same combination of pics again.

it isn't the combination of pics but the hash of the individual pics used... but this also depends on how the pics are used, too...

The "gathering all the pics" would be a fruitless project that never
    ends if the pics are replaced with new material and the old stuff discarded.

true to a point but then i think of the rainbow tables of passwords and this is really the same situation except using pics...

but what i was thinking above was if imagemajik was used in automated fashion to (re)generate the pics and/or grid of pics (with a html map)... it may be possible to thwart the bots for a while but they can still gather the pics and add the hashes to their databases... it depends on their hashing algos, too... i mean, slightly changing the resolution would be enough to throw off the automated selecting but it is another hash to add...

Rampage>> i won't even mention the years i've been an operator and
    Rampage>> moderator of forums that were incessantly attacked by these
    Rampage>> bots... neither will i mention that's i've had copies of
    Rampage>> these bots sent to me at times so i could see what they were
    Rampage>> doing so as to be able to build defenses against...

It's a spy .vs. spy, attack, counter-attack scenario. :/

exactly! just like fighting viri/malware, it will always be a never ending game of chase... just ask all the companies using DRM about that ;)

)\/(ark

---
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to Dennisk on Thu May 7 14:32:34 2020
    By: Dennisk to Ogg on Thu May 07 2020 13:02:04

Dennisk> I'd like to see a captcha which requires you to finish a small
    Dennisk> Doom level. It would be more fun than clicking squares with
    Dennisk> bikes,

for sighted people, it might be... if they are into games... and then there are those missing limbs that have to use special means to do things (eg: mouth sticks)...

Dennisk> and the AI can't do this yet.

you might be surprised ;)

https://www.cmu.edu/news/stories/archives/2016/september/AI-agent-survives-doom.html

https://kotaku.com/doom-bot-learns-to-play-better-than-humans-1787188415

https://www.sciencealert.com/controversial-ai-has-been-trained-to-kill-humans-in-a-doom-deathmatch

)\/(ark

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Thu May 7 12:17:15 2020
    By: MRO to echicken on Wed May 06 2020 11:07 pm

if you think about it, it cant be THAT hard to create a routine that works the way our brain does. look at the shape of something to figure out if it's a train or building. or a stop light.

There is a lot of work going on with AI and machine learning right now and it's still not always perfect.. My understanding is the way AI & machine learning works right now is that they have to create a specific model for a particular task and train it with existing data so it can then figure out new data. The way it would work in this case would be you'd show it a bunch of pictures of trains and tell it those are trains, and then do the same for cars, stoplights, etc., so that it can recognize those things in the future.

Nightfox

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to MRO on Thu May 7 17:19:00 2020
    By: MRO to echicken on Wed May 06 2020 11:07 pm

Well OCR is Optical Character Recognition and is meant for recognizi writing. It would need something other than OCR to recognize shapes objects & such.

IIRC they're using this "click on pictures that contain bicycles" data to AIs / improve pattern recognition, so eventually it'll become a self-defe technique.

if you think about it, it cant be THAT hard to create a routine that works t way our brain does. look at the shape of something to figure out if it's a train or building. or a stop light.

30 years ago DARPA and some other groups were working with optical
    recognition for smart weapons. They wanted to have cruise missiles or other projectiles that could be launched at targets beyond their vision, so drone or missile could loiter over an area or actually hunt down tanks or air defense radar and guns.

In one test they showed pictures of a pasture with sheep in it, then they showed a group of pictures with tanks in the pasture. At first the computer was doing well at picking all the tank pictures. Then they realized the
    system was looking at something other than the tanks. The day they photographed the tanks was an overcast day, while the regular pasture shots were filmed on a sunny day. The system "learned" tanks only come out overcast
    days.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to DENNISK on Thu May 7 20:59:00 2020
    I'd like to see a captcha which requires you to finish a small Doom level. It >would be more fun than clicking squares with bikes, and the AI can't do this >yet.

I don't think that Dumas can do that yet, either. I'd get locked out of my
    own board. :)

---
    ■ SLMR 2.1a ■ "Everybody's hugging!" - Ralphie Wiggum
    ■ Synchronet ■ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Kevin@VERT/MMN to OGG on Thu May 7 15:23:00 2020
    On 06/05/2020 21:10, OGG wrote to Kevin:

It would be hard to build an AI bot around that especially if you keep randomizing the challenges. Even if the challenge were relayed to a hacker human as Mark/rampage mentioned, it would get frustrating for them, fast.

Your standard fare of self hosted image captchas, mathematical equations, hidden fields,
    random words, etc they all get you in the end. For the BBS I just gave up, accounts have
    to email me directly off system to get validated and if they don't then they can't login.

-Kevin

---
  • From Ogg@VERT/EOTLBBS to Kevin on Fri May 8 01:59:00 2020
    Hello Kevin!

** On Thursday 07.05.20 - 07:23, kevin wrote to OGG:

equations, hidden fields, random words, etc they all get you in the
    end. For the BBS I just gave up, accounts have to email me directly off
    system to get validated and if they don't then they can't login.

Wait until they automate those emails! :(

Meanwhile, WordPress's registration process seems to work well if a user
    is forced to register before thay are allowed to post.

It's been two years now, but one site that I built for a teacher-friend
    from highschool has remained spam free. Registration is totally automated and throws the responsibility back to the applicant. Sofar, no fake user login attempts.

http://thetimetraveller.ca

The fellow is an avid outdoorsman, and loves to chronicle his experiences
    and tell a tale.

I let him loose on creating his own posts and incorporating images. The images probably need better organizing. But I am glad we don't have to
    deal with spam or fake registrations.

---
  • From Dennisk@VERT/MINDSEYE to Rampage on Fri May 8 12:52:00 2020
    Rampage wrote to Dennisk <=-

By: Dennisk to Ogg on Thu May 07 2020 13:02:04

Dennisk> I'd like to see a captcha which requires you to finish a
    small
    Dennisk> Doom level. It would be more fun than clicking squares with
    Dennisk> bikes,

for sighted people, it might be... if they are into games... and then there are those missing limbs that have to use special means to do
    things (eg: mouth sticks)...

Dennisk> and the AI can't do this yet.

you might be surprised ;)

https://www.cmu.edu/news/stories/archives/2016/september/AI-agent-surviv es-doom.html

https://kotaku.com/doom-bot-learns-to-play-better-than-humans-1787188415

https://www.sciencealert.com/controversial-ai-has-been-trained-to-kill-h umans-in-a-doom-deathmatch

)\/(ark

---
    = Synchronet = The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR

I am impressed and concerned. What a species we are, that we invent these complex technologies just to spam websites.

... MultiMail, the new multi-platform, multi-format offline reader!
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ Mind's Eye - mindseye.ddns.net - Melbourne Australia
  • From Kevin@VERT/MMN to OGG on Fri May 8 10:26:00 2020
    equations, hidden fields, random words, etc they all get you in the
    end. For the BBS I just gave up, accounts have to email me directly off
    system to get validated and if they don't then they can't login.

Wait until they automate those emails! :(

Thankfully they're not that smart, I picked out a few poorly worded,
    totally uncomprending of what a BBS is emails from some shady looking
    email addresses. It helps that I've worked in envrionments that needed
    an anti-fraud angle :D

Meanwhile, WordPress's registration process seems to work well if a user is forced to register before thay are allowed to post.

I've avoided doing that, I don't like other people having accounts on my WordPress, can't trust anybody now days. I did the lazy option of using JetPack's commenting system, it's their issue now, plus I mainly pay for
    the backups so might as well maximise my investment.

I have a good 20 years of posts I pulled in from my LiveJournal so I'm
    hyper protective of my install, even though I don't particularly like
    some of the WordPress.com features interacting with a self hosted
    install, I had to compromise to keep my data safe.

It's been two years now, but one site that I built for a teacher-friend from highschool has remained spam free. Registration is totally automated and throws the responsibility back to the applicant. Sofar, no fake user login attempts.

http://thetimetraveller.ca

I had a look, pretty cool, I might register to see what you have going
    there and anything I could steal, I mean, um, creatively appropriate :)

The fellow is an avid outdoorsman, and loves to chronicle his experiences and tell a tale.

I let him loose on creating his own posts and incorporating images. The images probably need better organizing. But I am glad we don't have to deal with spam or fake registrations.

Valid, it's better spending your time being creative than having to
    manage WordPress. I manage a couple sites for friends (www.lauren.paris
    and letters-to-myself.com), they're not totally tech savvy so I do the
    regular updates, purge the SPAM, fix up bits and pieces, and they
    continue to do the creative part.

For my own WP site I had to move it on to a VPS from DreamHost, their
    shared hosting isn't ideal for installs now that they have DreamPress.
    Can't really blame them for wanting people to use a more managed
    solution since WP is a bit of a liability if your customers don't keep
    it up to date.

-Kevin

---
  • From MATTHEW MUNSON@VERT/IUTOPIA to KEVIN on Sat May 9 05:07:00 2020
    KEVIN wrote to NIGHTFOX <=-

It's your basic forum spambot, it finds a signup form, does it, logs
    in, then does it's evil magic. One of the negative points of having a
    web based interface in this new age.
    That is why I do not give posting access to networked areas to new users.
    ... What is mind? No matter! What is matter? Never mind! - Homer S.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    ■ wcQWK 8.0 ≈ Inland Utopia * iutopia.duckdns.org:2323
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MATTHEW MUNSON on Sat May 9 23:03:03 2020
    By: MATTHEW MUNSON to KEVIN on Sat May 09 2020 01:07 am

Do you give new users a trial period where you watch their activity or something?

Nightfox

---
  • From MATTHEW MUNSON@VERT/IUTOPIA to NIGHTFOX on Sun May 10 14:24:00 2020
    On 5/9/2020 7:03 PM, NIGHTFOX wrote to MATTHEW MUNSON:

Do you give new users a trial period where you watch their activity or something?
    They have to send me a two sentence letter to me to get their account validated to either
    handle user or validated user.
    ---
    ■ wcQWK 8.0 ≈ Inland Utopia * iutopia.duckdns.org:2323
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MATTHEW MUNSON on Tue May 12 14:54:41 2020
    By: MATTHEW MUNSON to NIGHTFOX on Sun May 10 2020 10:24 am

Do you give new users a trial period where you watch their activity
    or something?

They have to send me a two sentence letter to me to get their account validated to either handle user or validated user.

By "letter", usually I think of a physical written/printed letter in the mail, but I suppose this in this case it might be an email?

Nightfox

---
  • From Jon Justvig@VERT/STEPPING to Nightfox on Tue May 12 19:05:57 2020
    By: Nightfox to MATTHEW MUNSON on Tue May 12 2020 10:54 am

By: MATTHEW MUNSON to NIGHTFOX on Sun May 10 2020 10:24 am

By "letter", usually I think of a physical written/printed letter in the mail, but I suppose this in this case it might be an email?

By "letter" I think of A, B or C. :)

-cr1mson

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Stepping Stone BBS -- steppingstonebbs.com