• Re: Let's talk about secu

From Warpslide@VERT/NRBBS to Ennev on Thu Jul 23 00:52:00 2020
    On 22 Jul 2020, Ennev said the following...

So I wonder how you wise people solved this ?

But like I said I do want it reliable enough and maintenance free enough that the time i spend there is not just about fixing and updating stuff.

Have enough hobbies like that :-D

I was looking for something like this and ended up going with Nest cameras, mostly because I wanted reliability and something I didn't have to babysit.

I now pay just CDN$80 /year for both of my camera & doorbell (same price for the whole house, so I can add more cameras for no additional monthly cost)
    and get 30 days of camera history.

I did play around with Raspberry Pi cameras, but I found they dropped off the network every now & then or stopped recording even though I could still view them live. Just more babysitting I didn't want to have to do.

If money were no object you could also go the route Linus went:

"I spent two days in my attic to avoid a camera subscription!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkjD4xIhfTw

Jay

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/06/11 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Northern Realms BBS | bbs.nrbbs.net | Binbrook, ON
  • From Ogg@VERT/EOTLBBS to Warpslide on Thu Jul 23 04:41:00 2020
    Hello Warpslide!

** On Wednesday 22.07.20 - 16:52, warpslide wrote to Ennev:

"I spent two days in my attic to avoid a camera subscription!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkjD4xIhfTw

The image quality from the camera is wonderful.

But I see a problem with the design. They are quite large and too
    noticeable. I real thief could physically knock them out from a blind
    spot, or just cut the cables. Some spray paint could easily block out the lens.

If robbery ensued, the most you would get out of a recording are a few seconds of the approaching criminal, and the time when the event occurred.

The best security system I ever had were dogs. LOL. They primarily made good noise when something didn't seem normal.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Ogg on Thu Jul 23 12:00:37 2020
    Re: Re: Let's talk about secu
    By: Ogg to Warpslide on Thu Jul 23 2020 12:41 am

But I see a problem with the design. They are quite large and too noticeable. I real thief could physically knock them out from a blind

If robbery ensued, the most you would get out of a recording are a few seconds of the approaching criminal, and the time when the event occurred.

The best security system I ever had were dogs. LOL. They primarily made good noise when something didn't seem normal.

That's a problem I have with most passive security messures. You end up paying tons of money for equipment that does not prevent a theft, it is easy to cheat or disable, and is placebo at best.

Only real security I have ever seen was in a nuclear power plant with bald, mean looking security guards with big badass guns.

I'd rather spend money in reinforced doors, bars fot the windows and the like, which are actually useful for preventing casual burglaries. And get lots of dogs. But that is because I love dogs so much.

For the record, I investigated video surveillance systems because I'd like to see what my horses are doing while I am away. If you are serious, there is no cheap solution, even if you go the DIY route. Most kits I have seen around were junk or allow a third party access to your images, which is a big no-no.

--
    gopher://gopher.operationalsecurity.es

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Warpslide on Thu Jul 23 14:19:30 2020
    On 2020-07-22 4:52 p.m., Warpslide wrote:

I was looking for something like this and ended up going with Nest cameras, mostly because I wanted reliability and something I didn't have to babysit.

I now pay just CDN$80 /year for both of my camera & doorbell (same price for the whole house, so I can add more cameras for no additional monthly cost) and get 30 days of camera history.

oh ! 80$ that sound good, I'm definitely checking that.

Wow it was a big job on that video :-D yeah, and not cheap

---
    þ Synchronet þ MtlGeek - Geeks in Montreal - http://mtlgeek.com/ -
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Ogg on Thu Jul 23 14:39:11 2020
    But I see a problem with the design. They are quite large and too
    noticeable. I real thief could physically knock them out from a blind

Maybe the trick would be to have one that is noticeable to deter might
    be criminal. And an hidden one to catch the real ones.

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Arelor on Thu Jul 23 14:48:14 2020
    On 2020-07-23 9:00 a.m., Arelor wrote:

I'd rather spend money in reinforced doors, bars fot the windows and the like,
    which are actually useful for preventing casual burglaries. And get lots of dogs. But that is because I love dogs so much.

Well, when your house is located in an less "crowded" area, the burglar
    will have plenty of time and privacy to brake in anyway. I agree for the reinforcement, but I think you need a mix of both approach.

In a way if it look like a fortress and might just signal even more that
    it might be interesting to see what's inside.

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Arelor on Thu Jul 23 12:26:00 2020
    Arelor wrote to Ogg <=-

Only real security I have ever seen was in a nuclear power plant with bald, mean looking security guards with big badass guns.

The USS Midway has a nuclear weapons storage area that was guarded
    by marines with guns. There was a yellow line outside the door, where
    the marines would draw their weapons if you crossed it, and an inner red line where
    they would shoot if you crossed it.

It seemed very straightforward.

I'd rather spend money in reinforced doors, bars fot the windows and
    the like, which are actually useful for preventing casual burglaries.

Yeah, I figure someone who *really* wants to get in is getting in.
    The local hood looking for a few extra bucks is going to get turned
    off by the usual measures.

And get lots of dogs. But that is because I love dogs so much.

Yeah, but then they forget how to be scary. There were a couple of
    pit bulls next door to me at the river house I stayed in recently. I
    could see them sitting in the sun watching their owner as he watered
    the plants. When I came out to walk my dog, they put up a fierce
    barking at the fence that would scare anyone off - except they were
    both wagging.

I said "Oh, you're a good dog, aren't you? Look at the good dog!"
    and they stopped barking and kept wagging frantically.

The sound through a locked door would definitely do the trick.

... Change ambiguities to specifics
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Ogg on Thu Jul 23 14:43:00 2020
    By: Ogg to Warpslide on Thu Jul 23 2020 12:41 am

Hello Warpslide!

** On Wednesday 22.07.20 - 16:52, warpslide wrote to Ennev:

The image quality from the camera is wonderful.

But I see a problem with the design. They are quite large and too noticeable. I real thief could physically knock them out from a blind

To get best coverage, you'd probably need enough cameras to cover more than
    one approach to a zone, and possibly have cameras in view of each other.

Along the line of dogs, passive infrared motion detectors should be
    considered. A thief or tresapasser can conceal their face, but it's way
    harder to avoid motion detectors. A friend has cameras around his house and garage but also has motion detectors wired into different bells and chimes.
    He and his wife could hear them anywhere in the house (like a doorbell) and know if someone pulled up the driveway, is within proximity of their doors,
    or by the garage. Each tone is different, so they know where to look on the cameras. Some sensors have narrower beams that can be set up high enough
    that cats and other animals won't set them off, but a person would be tall enough to trigger it. Some fo the more expensive cameras have an external trigger option to detect motion which works way better than their built in options.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Moondog on Thu Jul 23 19:16:33 2020
    On 2020-07-23 10:43 a.m., Moondog wrote:

enough to trigger it. Some fo the more expensive cameras have an external trigger option to detect motion which works way better than their built in options.

Kerberos enable you to set motion zone, if something change in theses
    zones it trigger alarm/recording/whatever. It's more for that reason
    that I want to setup something, more as motion sensor that can also
    record on top. To know right away when something happen and get some
    form of page.

Maybe the infamous ring doorbell could be cool, you can right away open
    a speaker and say stuff like "hey kid, get off my lawn", but it has bad
    press.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Ennev on Thu Jul 23 22:41:00 2020
    By: Ennev to Ogg on Thu Jul 23 2020 10:39 am

But I see a problem with the design. They are quite large and too noticeable. I real thief could physically knock them out from a blind spot, or just cut the cables. Some spray paint could easily block out the lens.

Maybe the trick would be to have one that is noticeable to deter might
    be criminal. And an hidden one to catch the real ones.

The issue with cameras is not the camera itself, but the height and angle it
    is set at. Most cameras are right out of arm's reach which meansface indentification can be defeated with a baseball ca or a hooded sweatshirt. Pi nhole cameras at chest level that are hard to see are better choices, and if you look around the entrances of most grocery stroes or jewelery stores,
    you'll see cameras that are set low, but out of reach. Some cameras in gun sh ops are at the level of the display case, so a person has to look down at the camera to look at what is in the case.

---
  • From Warpslide@VERT/NRBBS to Ennev on Fri Jul 24 01:02:00 2020
    On 23 Jul 2020, Ennev said the following...

Maybe the infamous ring doorbell could be cool, you can right away open
    a speaker and say stuff like "hey kid, get off my lawn", but it has bad press.

I have/had a Ring Doorbell. When all that bad press came out I literally had to rip of off the wall because the damn screws on the bottom stripped.

That's when I replaced it with the Nest (now Google) Doorbell which has much better video quality than that OG Ring model.

If I could get those damn screws off I'd then be able to factory reset the thing & sell it on Kijiji. I've tried the elastic trick, the super glue
    trick and even this "magic" stripped screw screwdriver but since it's torx screw made of the softest metal in the world nothing seems to work.

Jay

• From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Warpslide on Fri Jul 24 01:48:13 2020
    By: Warpslide to Ennev on Thu Jul 23 2020 09:02 pm

If I could get those damn screws off I'd then be able to factory reset the thing & sell it on Kijiji. I've tried the elastic trick, the super glue trick and even this "magic" stripped screw screwdriver but since it's torx screw made of the softest metal in the world nothing seems to work.

can you link a picture? i'm real good at that shit.
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Warpslide on Fri Jul 24 11:37:50 2020
    That's when I replaced it with the Nest (now Google) Doorbell which has much better video quality than that OG Ring model.

I'll look into that, thanks :-D

---
  • From paulie420@VERT/BEERS20 to all on Fri Jul 24 12:43:00 2020
    Just wanted to post a good CHEAP camera for the security discussion.

The TEND LYNX cameras are only like $60 for indoors and $150 for outdoors.
    Free online storage of data, 2 weeks history, notifications and most of the bells and whisles of much ore expensive Nest or Arlo systems...

I wish they were built tougher; but for sixty bucks are fine!!

You can check them live on the app, they beep me when theres motion and supposedly theres facial recognition altho I don't use that bit.

Pretty cheap price of entry for a GOOD camera system. The more expensive outdoor ones are good too, and the original ones WILL BREAK if outdoors. I
    know from experience.

:P

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to paulie420 on Sat Jul 25 06:25:00 2020
    By: paulie420 to all on Fri Jul 24 2020 08:43 am

The TEND LYNX cameras are only like $60 for indoors and $150 for outdoors. Free online storage of data, 2 weeks history, notifications and most of the bells and whisles of much ore expensive Nest or Arlo systems...

You can check them live on the app, they beep me when theres motion and supposedly theres facial recognition altho I don't use that bit.

Pretty cheap price of entry for a GOOD camera system. The more expensive outdoor ones are good too, and the original ones WILL BREAK if outdoors. I know from experience.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

I've been reading more and mor about people noticing inexpensive cameras
    being a bit on the "chatty" side, meaning they've been observed generating traffic going out to the web that appears to be suspicious. Other than occasional firmware updates, why would a camera want to report home? Some cameras may offer the option to turn that off, but it might be buried within their configuration.

---
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Jul 25 08:25:58 2020
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Arelor on Thu Jul 23 2020 08:26 am

Yeah, but then they forget how to be scary. There were a couple of
    pit bulls next door to me at the river house I stayed in recently. I
    could see them sitting in the sun watching their owner as he watered
    the plants. When I came out to walk my dog, they put up a fierce
    barking at the fence that would scare anyone off - except they were
    both wagging.

They sound a lot like my Rottweilers. I have six of them :-)

The postman doesn't want to get near the fence because of the big scary dogs, but fact is, if you get close and tell them how nice doggies they are, they stop barking and start asking for pats like crazy.

--

---
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Moondog on Sat Jul 25 08:39:20 2020
    By: Moondog to paulie420 on Sat Jul 25 2020 02:25 am

The TEND LYNX cameras are only like $60 for indoors and $150 for outdoors Free online storage of data, 2 weeks history, notifications and most of t bells and whisles of much ore expensive Nest or Arlo systems...

Pretty cheap price of entry for a GOOD camera system. The more expensive outdoor ones are good too, and the original ones WILL BREAK if outdoors. know from experience.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

I've been reading more and mor about people noticing inexpensive cameras being a bit on the "chatty" side, meaning they've been observed generating traffic going out to the web that appears to be suspicious. Other than occasional firmware updates, why would a camera want to report home? Some cameras may offer the option to turn that off, but it might be buried within their configuration.

That is somethig that keeps me from many comercial cameras.

Lots of cameras are intended to be used with cloud services that store your recordings, let you manage your cameras via web browser or app, etc etc. IN this day and age, when most domestic LANs are located behind Carrier Grade NAT, you need stun servers and the like to access your cameras while out of home. So yes, you can expect your cameras to communicate with the outside world a lot.

--

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Moondog on Sat Jul 25 12:11:39 2020
    On 2020-07-25 2:25 a.m., Moondog wrote:

I've been reading more and mor about people noticing inexpensive cameras being a bit on the "chatty" side, meaning they've been observed generating traffic going out to the web that appears to be suspicious. Other than occasional firmware updates, why would a camera want to report home? Some cameras may offer the option to turn that off, but it might be buried within their configuration.

Sometime they also have poor security having root account like user
    admin password admin with ssh or telnet port wide open. If you have a
    bbs and look at your log that's why you'll see your ports being hit so
    hard, they looking for such insecure device. Once they found such
    insecure device they can use it to bridge into a local network and start attacking your others device that would be protected usually by your
    router firewall or they use is just to add to theirs botnet to attack
    others target and do massive ddos attack etc.

Always hate stuff that phone home for others reason that to check for
    firmware update.

---
  • From globaldocuments78@VERT/PBSYNC to Ogg on Sat Jul 25 17:13:06 2020
    Hi,welcome buy real registered documents onlinewww.expressdocsnow.com +1 (318) 406-1272

We are Genuine Immigration Consultants based in USA ,having being connected with a massive network of retired Immigration officers from USA, Canada, Australia , UK ,New Zealand ,Malaysia,Germany,Turkey,Spain and Singapore etc,who are capable of processing all type of documents such as visas,passport,id cards,certificate,diploma and other documents . I am a US Citizen.So if interested in any documents just place your Oder

For genuine enquiries ,please contact David Smith
    Email: info@expressdocsnow.com
    Whatsap no +1 (318) 406-1272
    www. https://www.expressdocsnow.com

tps://expressdocsnow.com /home/

https://expressdocsnow.com /services/

https://expressdocsnow.com /buy-real-and-fake-passports/

https://expressdocsnow.com /buy-counterfeit-money/
    https://expressdocsnow.com /buy-drivers-license/
    https://expressdocsnow.com /buy-resident-permits/

https://expressdocsnow.com /buy-ielts-toefl-online/
    https://expressdocsnow.com /applyforvisaonline/
    https://expressdocsnow.com /how-to-buy-citzsnship-for-uk-usa-canada/
    Contact emails ......... info@expressdocsnow.com

WHATSAPP ............ +1 (318) 406-1272

Our website .......... https://www.expressdocsnow.com

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ PBSync Prison BBS - pbmystic.rdfig.net:2424
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to paulie420 on Sat Jul 25 20:41:01 2020

The TEND LYNX cameras are only like $60 for indoors and $150 for outdoors. Free online storage of data, 2 weeks history, notifications and most of the bells and whisles of much ore expensive Nest or Arlo systems...

Pretty cheap price of entry for a GOOD camera system. The more expensive outdoor ones are good too, and the original ones WILL BREAK if outdoors. I know from experience.

well my arlo cams are like 60 bucks a piece. i have one week of free storage. i am still trying to tweak them because they detect motion all the time.
    i'm not a fan of the arlo app or the arlo website, though.

i wish i would have just bought a wired system with a dvr.
    ---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Ennev on Sun Jul 26 02:48:00 2020
    By: Ennev to Moondog on Sat Jul 25 2020 08:11 am

On 2020-07-25 2:25 a.m., Moondog wrote:

I've been reading more and mor about people noticing inexpensive cameras being a bit on the "chatty" side, meaning they've been observed generating traffic going out to the web that appears to be suspicious. Other than occasional firmware updates, why would a camera want to report home? Some cameras may offer the option to turn that off, but it might be buried with their configuration.

Sometime they also have poor security having root account like user
    admin password admin with ssh or telnet port wide open. If you have a
    bbs and look at your log that's why you'll see your ports being hit so
    hard, they looking for such insecure device. Once they found such
    insecure device they can use it to bridge into a local network and start attacking your others device that would be protected usually by your
    router firewall or they use is just to add to theirs botnet to attack
    others target and do massive ddos attack etc.

Always hate stuff that phone home for others reason that to check for firmware update.

From the article I read, this didn't sound like typical traffic you'd expsect from a camera, such as telemetry, firmware updates or cloud protocols. That i s where the controversy arises. For example, let's say the IP traffic indicates your camera is talking to an address owned by Amazon. Why would a camera made in China be sending data to Amazon? What if the low price
    attached to a security camera with decent features come at the cost of an outside corporation using some of those resources for facial recognition or
    AI learning how to detect other items?

---
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Moondog on Mon Jul 27 13:31:58 2020
    On 2020-07-25 10:48 p.m., Moondog wrote:

From the article I read, this didn't sound like typical traffic you'd expsect
    from a camera, such as telemetry, firmware updates or cloud protocols. That i
    s where the controversy arises. For example, let's say the IP traffic indicates your camera is talking to an address owned by Amazon. Why would a camera made in China be sending data to Amazon? What if the low price attached to a security camera with decent features come at the cost of an outside corporation using some of those resources for facial recognition or AI learning how to detect other items?

I guess it go down to the term of service, if the user gave right to the
    maker to use the video and other data. But yes china also use the amazon cloud, why not it's cheap, especially hacker.

---
  • From Warpslide@VERT/NRBBS to MRO on Tue Jul 28 02:15:00 2020
    On 23 Jul 2020, MRO said the following...

If I could get those damn screws off I'd then be able to factory rese thing & sell it on Kijiji. I've tried the elastic trick, the super gl trick and even this "magic" stripped screw screwdriver but since it's screw made of the softest metal in the world nothing seems to work.

https://imgur.com/a/nBmwkQg

I was able to get one screw out. The other one is in there snug and each
    time I try anything it gets stripped even more.

I believe these screws are Torx T6 which ring just calls "Security Screws":

view-source:https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005688763-Spare-Parts -Information

Thanks for taking a look!

Jay

... It it ain't broke, let me have a shot at it.

• From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Warpslide on Tue Jul 28 04:33:18 2020
    By: Warpslide to MRO on Mon Jul 27 2020 10:15 pm

On 23 Jul 2020, MRO said the following...

If I could get those damn screws off I'd then be able to factory
    rese thing & sell it on Kijiji. I've tried the elastic trick,
    the super gl trick and even this "magic" stripped screw
    screwdriver but since it's screw made of the softest metal in
    the world nothing seems to work.

https://imgur.com/a/nBmwkQg

I was able to get one screw out. The other one is in there snug and each time I try anything it gets stripped even more.

I believe these screws are Torx T6 which ring just calls "Security Screws":

view-source:https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005688763-Spare- Parts -Information

okay i would take a dremel tool and cut a slot in it and use a screwdriver. it also like it's sticking out a bit so maybe you can get a vice grip to grab it enough to give it a spin a few times.
    ---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Ennev on Tue Jul 28 04:14:00 2020
    By: Ennev to Moondog on Mon Jul 27 2020 09:31 am

On 2020-07-25 10:48 p.m., Moondog wrote:

From the article I read, this didn't sound like typical traffic you'd exp from a camera, such as telemetry, firmware updates or cloud protocols. Th s where the controversy arises. For example, let's say the IP traffic indicates your camera is talking to an address owned by Amazon. Why would camera made in China be sending data to Amazon? What if the low price attached to a security camera with decent features come at the cost of an outside corporation using some of those resources for facial recognition o AI learning how to detect other items?

I guess it go down to the term of service, if the user gave right to the maker to use the video and other data. But yes china also use the amazon cloud, why not it's cheap, especially hacker.

I've been planning to install cameras in my home for awhile, and when i first heard of the issues people have had with not securing their nanny cams
    (others outside your home being able to observe your children and view other happenings in your home) it makes me wonder what other security holes may exist? Is it creepy to think that there may be an AI or device learning research being done through observing not only people, but also objects
    inside your home? Some go through great extents to secure their homes and conceal their levels of preparedness (stores of shelf stable food, firearms, a mmunition) and its disheartening to think their secuirty devices can be used against them.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Moondog on Tue Jul 28 13:01:11 2020
    By: Moondog to Ennev on Tue Jul 28 2020 12:14 am

I've been planning to install cameras in my home for awhile, and when i first heard of the issues people have had with not securing their nanny cams (others outside your home being able to observe your children and view other happenings in your home) it makes me wonder what other security holes may exist?

I've heard stories like that, but I've wondered if some people just aren't password-protecting their camera or something (as you said, issues people have with not securing their nanny cams). If that's the case, it's not really a security hole, but people just not being careful enough to secure their camera.

Is it creepy to think that there may be an AI or device
    learning research being done through observing not only people, but also objects inside your home? Some go through great extents to secure their homes and conceal their levels of preparedness (stores of shelf stable food, firearms, a mmunition) and its disheartening to think their secuirty devices can be used against them.

Big Brother... 1984, and all that..

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Nightfox on Tue Jul 28 19:06:54 2020
    On 2020-07-28 12:01 p.m., Nightfox wrote:

I've heard stories like that, but I've wondered if some people just aren't password-protecting their camera or something (as you said, issues people have with not securing their nanny cams). If that's the case, it's not really a security hole, but people just not being careful enough to secure their camera.

Thing is that even on some camera that if you take the time to change
    the password. On some device there is an account with an hardcoded password

like this arstechnica article : https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/06/internet-cameras-expose-private-video-feeds-and-remote-controls/

So I agree that a lot of people are careless, the vast majority in fact.
    They expect theses device to be like appliances that you just plug and
    forget about it. The industry has to step up.

---
  • From Warpslide@VERT/NRBBS to Nightfox on Tue Jul 28 20:04:00 2020
    On 28 Jul 2020, Nightfox said the following...

I've heard stories like that, but I've wondered if some people just aren't ord-protecting their camera or something (as you said, issues people have ot securing their nanny cams). If that's the case, it's not really a secu ole, but people

A quick scan on Shodan for motionEye will reveal a lot of Raspberry Pi
    cameras directly accessible on the internet.

Some have gone out of their way to remove authentication entirely so you can just click on the link & BAM you're watching some lady in her kitchen...

Jay

• From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Moondog on Tue Jul 28 22:04:58 2020

view other happenings in your home) it makes me wonder what other security holes may exist? Is it creepy to think that there may be an AI or device learning research being done through observing not only people, but also objects inside your home? Some go through great extents to secure their homes and conceal their levels of preparedness (stores of shelf stable food, firearms, a mmunition) and its disheartening to think their secuirty

just wait until you see yourself naked. yechk
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Tue Jul 28 22:06:14 2020
    By: Nightfox to Moondog on Tue Jul 28 2020 09:01 am

my arlo system was a bitch to setup. i do see that it has a wifi signal. i can not remember if i have a separate password for it or if it's just linked to my arlo account.

anyways, if someone sees me naked, that's too bad for them.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Ennev on Tue Jul 28 22:10:30 2020
    By: Ennev to Nightfox on Tue Jul 28 2020 03:06 pm

So I agree that a lot of people are careless, the vast majority in fact. They expect theses device to be like appliances that you just plug and forget about it. The industry has to step up.

the woman i live with has a baby monitor and it works via wifi and i have no idea if she has to setup a password or if it's automatic.

who knows
    ---
  • From paulie420@VERT/BEERS20 to MRO on Tue Jul 28 20:55:00 2020
    well my arlo cams are like 60 bucks a piece. i have one week of free storage. i am still trying to tweak them because they detect motion all the time. i'm not a fan of the arlo app or the arlo website, though.

Really? When I was shopping Arlo's, the 3 camera system was $750... I think; maybe it was 4... at any rate, for $60 a piece I don't think you could beat Arlo - even if their software is 'corp-y' its decent for the every-person... which usually isn't US, tech folks...

I use Home Assistant and there are options on there to use your camera
    systems without using the Arlo main software... but tons of setup and work to get it going. However, you can use them without sending any data at all up to Arlo... so. Heck, I don't know the names of the software but... I think you
    can use these camera softwares with your Arlo's and not got thru their
    apps... like Blue-something camera app... shrug, sorry I dunno that titles;
    but there are options.

With Home Assistant, I too will mainly just buy cameras and a DVR.. you can integrate it deep in your smart home install.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Nightfox on Wed Jul 29 04:03:00 2020

I've been planning to install cameras in my home for awhile, and when i first heard of the issues people have had with not securing their nanny cams (others outside your home being able to observe your children and view other happenings in your home) it makes me wonder what other secur holes may exist?

I've heard stories like that, but I've wondered if some people just aren't p e just not being careful enough to secure their camera.

learning research being done through observing not only people, but als objects inside your home? Some go through great extents to secure their homes and conceal their levels of preparedness (stores of shelf stable food, firearms, a mmunition) and its disheartening to think their secui devices can be used against them.

Nightfox

I know it sounds kind of paranoid, but if Big Brother has a hard wired
    exploit, others will learn how to exploit it as well.

If you know a device is sending information to a set of IP addresses, what would be the best way to block that traffic? For this scenario, assume the cameras only need to talk with an NVR installed in your house, and and any access to the captured video will be done through the NVR's web portal.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to MRO on Wed Jul 29 04:46:00 2020
    By: MRO to Moondog on Tue Jul 28 2020 06:04 pm

view other happenings in your home) it makes me wonder what other secur holes may exist? Is it creepy to think that there may be an AI or devic learning research being done through observing not only people, but als objects inside your home? Some go through great extents to secure their homes and conceal their levels of preparedness (stores of shelf stable food, firearms, a mmunition) and its disheartening to think their secui

just wait until you see yourself naked. yechk

While i wasn't naked, i made sure to re-format the hard drive on an NVR I set up at home to test before setting it up in a meeting hall. I didn't think
    they wanted a couple hours of footage of a fat dude in his underwear testing out motion detection thresholds and zones. I had run the cabling along the floor from room to room to test, and i look really scary when viewed from IR mode on the camera. I looked like one of the Morlocks from the 1960 version
    of the Time Machine

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to paulie420 on Wed Jul 29 04:59:00 2020
    By: paulie420 to MRO on Tue Jul 28 2020 04:55 pm

well my arlo cams are like 60 bucks a piece. i have one week of free storage. i am still trying to tweak them because they detect motion all the time. i'm not a fan of the arlo app or the arlo website, though.

Really? When I was shopping Arlo's, the 3 camera system was $750... I think; maybe it was 4... at any rate, for $60 a piece I don't think you could beat Arlo - even if their software is 'corp-y' its decent for the every-person... which usually isn't US, tech folks...

I use Home Assistant and there are options on there to use your camera systems without using the Arlo main software... but tons of setup and work t get it going. However, you can use them without sending any data at all up t Arlo... so. Heck, I don't know the names of the software but... I think you can use these camera softwares with your Arlo's and not got thru their apps... like Blue-something camera app... shrug, sorry I dunno that titles; but there are options.

With Home Assistant, I too will mainly just buy cameras and a DVR.. you can integrate it deep in your smart home install.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

Blue Iris? It's the software for for building your own DVR using a pc. If
    you want basic no-frills, a dedicated 16 camera NVR can bu purchased fairly inexpensively. Frame rates at higher resolutions may suffer, however you're paying much less than buying camera system software that might charge her numb er of cameras installed, or the cost of a PC that meets the required specs
    for the software.

---
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Moondog on Wed Jul 29 10:21:31 2020
    By: Moondog to Nightfox on Wed Jul 29 2020 12:03 am

I've been planning to install cameras in my home for awhile, and when i fir
    heard of the issues people have had with not securing their nanny cams (oth
    outside your home being able to observe your children and view other happenings in your home) it makes me wonder what other secur holes may exis

I've heard stories like that, but I've wondered if some people just aren't p e j
    not being careful enough to secure their camera.

learning research being done through observing not only people, but als
    objects inside your home? Some go through great extents to secure their hom
    and conceal their levels of preparedness (stores of shelf stable food,
    firearms, a mmunition) and its disheartening to think their secui devices c
    be used against them.

Nightfox

I know it sounds kind of paranoid, but if Big Brother has a hard wired exploit, others will learn how to exploit it as well.

If you know a device is sending information to a set of IP addresses, what would be
    the best way to block that traffic? For this scenario, assume the cameras only nee
    to talk with an NVR installed in your house, and and any access to the captured vid
    will be done through the NVR's web portal.

Puchase a Mikrotik router (or a router capable of handling a complex firewall ruleset,
    or build your own).

Block any unaproved traffic from your devices to the target IPs

But seriously, the real thing you should do is not to run untrusted devices in your
    network at all, or at least run them in isolation in such a way they cannot break
    havoc very badly.

--

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Arelor on Wed Jul 29 19:58:00 2020
    By: Arelor to Moondog on Wed Jul 29 2020 06:21 am

I've been planning to install cameras in my home for awhile, and heard of the issues people have had with not securing their nanny outside your home being able to observe your children and view ot happenings in your home) it makes me wonder what other secur hole

I've heard stories like that, but I've wondered if some people just ar not being careful enough to secure their camera.

learning research being done through observing not only people, b objects inside your home? Some go through great extents to secure and conceal their levels of preparedness (stores of shelf stable firearms, a mmunition) and its disheartening to think their secui be used against them.

Nightfox

I know it sounds kind of paranoid, but if Big Brother has a hard wired exploit, others will learn how to exploit it as well.

If you know a device is sending information to a set of IP addresses, wha the best way to block that traffic? For this scenario, assume the camera to talk with an NVR installed in your house, and and any access to the ca will be done through the NVR's web portal.

Puchase a Mikrotik router (or a router capable of handling a complex firewal or build your own).

Block any unaproved traffic from your devices to the target IPs

But seriously, the real thing you should do is not to run untrusted devices network at all, or at least run them in isolation in such a way they cannot havoc very badly.

--

Thanks! A firewall with blacklisted IP ranges was the direction I'm leaning at.

Regarding trusted versus untrusted devices, there's a grey area where either there's loads of experience and documentation for certain brands, or there isn't. Some camera kits come with re-branded or white box cameras, and you might have a chance to figure out what they are based on a stock code or cryptic model number. In the early days of CD burners, LG supplied burners sold under several larger names before they became reputable on their own. Several of the better known kits ship with un-branded Hikivision cameras.

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to paulie420 on Thu Jul 30 02:18:34 2020
    By: paulie420 to MRO on Tue Jul 28 2020 04:55 pm

those 60 dollar cameras are the older kind. i do have an older arlo system because i'm not gonna drop that much money on something with so many bad reviews.

anyways, it's hit or miss. i have to keep charging the batteries too.
    that part sucks because i have some cams up high.

i would rather have a dvr system that sends alerts with motion and just records the entire day. i think that would grab everything well.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Moondog on Thu Jul 30 02:21:44 2020

If you know a device is sending information to a set of IP addresses, what would be the best way to block that traffic? For this scenario, assume the cameras only need to talk with an NVR installed in your house, and and any access to the captured video will be done through the NVR's web portal.

you can do some shit and whitelist ips.

it's not worth the effort. dont use something like that or dont care.
    life is too short.
    ---
  • From Ogg@VERT/EOTLBBS to Arelor on Tue Aug 11 01:47:00 2020
    Hello Arelor!

** On Thursday 23.07.20 - 09:00, arelor wrote to Ogg:

If robbery ensued, the most you would get out of a recording are a
    few seconds of the approaching criminal, and the time when the event
    occurred.

That's a problem I have with most passive security messures. You end
    up paying tons of money for equipment that does not prevent a theft,
    it is easy to cheat or disable, and is placebo at best.

Today, these systems are primarily handy for surveillance and really shouldn't be called security cameras.

I had activated a few cameras in my shop, but my ISP complained about the uploads every few minutes! The pics were only about 360KB each, and only every 2 minutes. Overnight, I could spy on my front door and front
    windows. That was over 7 years ago now. Maybe the ISP has eased the
    policy for a surveillance feed today.

For the record, I investigated video surveillance systems because I'd
    like to see what my horses are doing while I am away. If you are
    serious, there is no cheap solution, even if you go the DIY route.
    Most kits I have seen around were junk or allow a third party access
    to your images, which is a big no-no.

I suppose you have outdoor models.

I have indoor wireless Foscam models with pan and tilt. They weren't too cheap at over $125 a piece at the time. The support software offered a 3rd-party host site to send the pics to (at a cost), but I found no need
    for that when I could simply FTP the pics to a directory on my own host.

Maybe it's time to revisit that option.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Ogg on Tue Aug 11 17:11:00 2020
    By: Ogg to Arelor on Mon Aug 10 2020 09:47 pm

Hello Arelor!

** On Thursday 23.07.20 - 09:00, arelor wrote to Ogg:

If robbery ensued, the most you would get out of a recording are a
    few seconds of the approaching criminal, and the time when the event Og>> occurred.

That's a problem I have with most passive security messures. You end
    up paying tons of money for equipment that does not prevent a theft,
    it is easy to cheat or disable, and is placebo at best.

Today, these systems are primarily handy for surveillance and really shouldn't be called security cameras.

I had activated a few cameras in my shop, but my ISP complained about the uploads every few minutes! The pics were only about 360KB each, and only every 2 minutes. Overnight, I could spy on my front door and front
    windows. That was over 7 years ago now. Maybe the ISP has eased the
    policy for a surveillance feed today.

For the record, I investigated video surveillance systems because I'd like to see what my horses are doing while I am away. If you are serious, there is no cheap solution, even if you go the DIY route.

I have indoor wireless Foscam models with pan and tilt. They weren't too cheap at over $125 a piece at the time. The support software offered a 3rd-party host site to send the pics to (at a cost), but I found no need

In the prevention - detection - correction triangle, cameras don't prevent as well as they detect and help correct after a crime has been committed. Unless a camera also acts as an alarm or triggers another detection component, all you'll have is evidence of the break in after the fact.

---
  • From Ogg@VERT/EOTLBBS to Moondog on Wed Aug 12 00:15:00 2020
    Hello Moondog!

** On Tuesday 11.08.20 - 13:11, moondog wrote to Ogg:

I have indoor wireless Foscam models with pan and tilt. They weren't
    too cheap at over $125 a piece at the time. ...

In the prevention - detection - correction triangle, cameras don't
    prevent as well as they detect and help correct after a crime has been committed. Unless a camera also acts as an alarm or triggers another detection component, all you'll have is evidence of the break in after
    the fact.

Yep. I know that. :( When I maneuver the pan and tilt, it can serve as a reminder to people that they are being watched. :)

Insurance takes care of a break-in and loss of inventory.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Ogg on Wed Aug 12 19:32:00 2020
    By: Ogg to Moondog on Tue Aug 11 2020 08:15 pm

In the prevention - detection - correction triangle, cameras don't prevent as well as they detect and help correct after a crime has been committed. Unless a camera also acts as an alarm or triggers another detection component, all you'll have is evidence of the break in after the fact.

Yep. I know that. :( When I maneuver the pan and tilt, it can serve as a reminder to people that they are being watched. :)

Insurance takes care of a break-in and loss of inventory.

That's good to hear. Burglars are only restricted by how much time they
    think they have. A neighbor had a 400lb floor safe taken. The robbers
    tipped it on a rug and it glided easily along their polished wood floors.
    I've read about robbers using golf balls as rollers to move safes and
    security cabinets that aren't bolted to a wall or floor.

A friend twarted a robbery at his parents because he put a camera on their driveway entrance that would email him pictures of vehicles coming and going. This gave him enough time to remote in and check the camera feeds, and watch them looking around the locked pole barn doors. He called the police, and
    when the police rounded the corner, they must've had a lookout, and moved the van to the next house down the road. He called the police and let them know the van was now at the neighbor's house.

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Ogg on Thu Aug 13 22:09:36 2020
    Re: Re: Let's talk about security
    By: Ogg to Arelor on Mon Aug 10 2020 09:47 pm

For the record, I investigated video surveillance systems because I'd like to see what my horses are doing while I am away. If you are serious, there is no cheap solution, even if you go the DIY route.

I have bought and own quite an assortment of web and IP cameras (wired and wireless, including Foscams) for security cameras. I use BlueIris (for Windows) to record and serve-up the live feeds to cell phones. Works great.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #73:
    SSL = Secure Sockets Layer (precursor to TLS)
    Norco, CA WX: 90.8°F, 20.0% humidity, 9 mph NE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Ogg@VERT/EOTLBBS to Digital Man on Fri Aug 14 03:51:00 2020
    Hello Digital!

** On Thursday 13.08.20 - 21:09, digital.man wrote to Ogg:

I have indoor wireless Foscam models with pan and tilt. ... I could
    simply FTP the pics to a directory on my own host.

I have bought and own quite an assortment of web and IP cameras (wired
    and wireless, including Foscams) for security cameras. I use BlueIris
    (for Windows) to record and serve-up the live feeds to cell phones.
    Works great.

BlueIris looks good! The software that Foscam offers is "ok", but
    something else might be more fun and versatile.

How do you use the Web Server part? Do you have local storage for that
    .or are you using your ISP host storage?

As I wrote earlier, my ISP took umbrage to my cameras sending .jpg files
    to a directory on my host ever few minutes. That was about 7 years ago
    now. But I figure security cameras are much more common place now and I
    would hope that "serving" files should be less restrictive in the last few years.

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Ogg on Fri Aug 14 01:16:41 2020
    By: Ogg to Digital Man on Thu Aug 13 2020 11:51 pm

Hello Digital!

** On Thursday 13.08.20 - 21:09, digital.man wrote to Ogg:

I have indoor wireless Foscam models with pan and tilt. ... I could
    simply FTP the pics to a directory on my own host.

I have bought and own quite an assortment of web and IP cameras (wired and wireless, including Foscams) for security cameras. I use BlueIris (for Windows) to record and serve-up the live feeds to cell phones.
    Works great.

BlueIris looks good! The software that Foscam offers is "ok", but
    something else might be more fun and versatile.

How do you use the Web Server part? Do you have local storage for that
    .or are you using your ISP host storage?

I use local storage.

As I wrote earlier, my ISP took umbrage to my cameras sending .jpg files
    to a directory on my host ever few minutes. That was about 7 years ago
    now. But I figure security cameras are much more common place now and I would hope that "serving" files should be less restrictive in the last few years.

My server is in my house, so my ISP has no idea how many pictures (or videos) I'm transferring from my cameras. The only time my ISP is involved is when the cameras (or recordings) are accessed remotely. And that's infrequent.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #5:
    Synchronet version 3 for Win32 development began in 1999.
    Norco, CA WX: 84.0°F, 25.0% humidity, 4 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Digital Man on Fri Aug 14 20:40:59 2020
    By: Digital Man to Ogg on Thu Aug 13 2020 06:09 pm

I have bought and own quite an assortment of web and IP cameras (wired and wireless, including Foscams) for security cameras. I use BlueIris (for Windows) to record and serve-up the live feeds to cell phones. Works great.

i use webcam xp with my ip camers and that works great. lots of features.

i wish i could use other software with my arlo cameras because the web interface sucks and i'm not a fan of the phone interface.
    ---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to MRO on Fri Aug 14 21:38:25 2020
    By: MRO to Digital Man on Fri Aug 14 2020 04:40 pm

By: Digital Man to Ogg on Thu Aug 13 2020 06:09 pm

i use webcam xp with my ip camers and that works great. lots of features.

i wish i could use other software with my arlo cameras because the web interface sucks and i'm not a fan of the phone interface.

Yeah, I've bought a camera or two over the years that I could not get to work with Blue Iris (or any other non-proprietary view/capture software). I've returned some and others just retired to a shelf, if they were cheap enough. For indoor or mostly-protected outdoor use, I mostly just buy these cheap boys these days: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WX7FZFL

Hard to beat that video quality for $32.

digital man

Sling Blade quote #10:
    Morris: I stand on the hill, not for thrill, but for the breath of a fresh kill Norco, CA WX: 96.3°F, 29.0% humidity, 9 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Gallaxial@VERT/SPACESST to Digital Man on Sat Aug 15 00:25:43 2020
    By: Digital Man to Ogg on Thu Aug 13 2020 21:16:41

My server is in my house, so my ISP has no idea how many pictures (or videos) I'm transferring from my cameras. The only time my ISP is involved is when the cameras (or recordings) are accessed remotely. And that's infrequent.

Does , your isp Spying on You ,

... It is a well known fact that a deceased body harms the mind.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ SpaceSST BBS - mccarragher.org
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Gallaxial on Sat Aug 15 15:53:02 2020
    By: Gallaxial to Digital Man on Fri Aug 14 2020 08:25 pm

Does , your isp Spying on You ,

If you say so...

digital man

Sling Blade quote #2:
    Karl (re: killing Doyle): I hit him two good whacks in the head with it.
    Norco, CA WX: 100.4°F, 28.0% humidity, 4 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Digital Man on Sat Aug 15 19:44:14 2020
    By: Digital Man to MRO on Fri Aug 14 2020 05:38 pm

Yeah, I've bought a camera or two over the years that I could not get to work with Blue Iris (or any other non-proprietary view/capture software). I've returned some and others just retired to a shelf, if they were cheap enough. For indoor or mostly-protected outdoor use, I mostly just buy these cheap boys these days: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WX7FZFL

Hard to beat that video quality for $32.

yeah that's a good find. it's cheap enough to put outside and not care about it.
    ---