• Re: Privilege

From Warpslide@VERT/NRBBS to Vk3jed on Mon Nov 2 13:35:00 2020
    On 02 Nov 2020, Vk3jed said the following...

Sadly, there is a fair bit of bigotry in the LGBTIQA+ community - racism, biphobia, transphobia and unchecked privilege (usually from white gay men) among the issues that occur. :(

Which is quite astonishing if you think about it. It wasn't too long ago the LGBT+ community was shoulder to shoulder in the streets fighting for equal rights.

I'm reminded of a photo I saw not long ago of an inter-racial couple at a rally protesting same-sex marriage. "Protect Traditional Marriage" was their slogan if I remember correctly.

I guess those who don't bother to learn their history are doomed to repeat it?

Jay

... Did you hear about the guy whose left side was cut off? He's all right now

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2020/10/23 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Northern Realms
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Warpslide on Wed Nov 4 23:46:00 2020
    On 11-02-20 08:35, Warpslide wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Sadly, there is a fair bit of bigotry in the LGBTIQA+ community - racism, biphobia, transphobia and unchecked privilege (usually from white gay men) among the issues that occur. :(

Which is quite astonishing if you think about it. It wasn't too long
    ago the LGBT+ community was shoulder to shoulder in the streets
    fighting for equal rights.

It's bizarre, but true. So much so that the gay dating apps have removed reference to race in the last year or two. There's been a lot of racism against Asians. :(

And for a long time, the role of trans people in the Stonewall uprising had been quietly airbrushed from history. At least that part of the record is now being set *ahem* straight.

I'm reminded of a photo I saw not long ago of an inter-racial couple at
    a rally protesting same-sex marriage. "Protect Traditional Marriage"
    was their slogan if I remember correctly.

I guess those who don't bother to learn their history are doomed to
    repeat it?

Hmm, so we have to marry for political gain, not love?

... Honest Ma, I got it from a toilet seat...
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
    ■ Synchronet ■ Freeway BBS, Bendigo Australia. freeway.apana.org.au
  • From Warpslide@VERT/NRBBS to Vk3jed on Wed Nov 4 14:03:00 2020
    On 04 Nov 2020, Vk3jed said the following...

I guess those who don't bother to learn their history are doomed to repeat it?

Exactly. I've never understood why so many people are concerned with what others are doing.

Just because someone likes A and I like B doesn't mean either of us is wrong, it just means I like something different than that person. I'm certainly not going to run out and lobby the government to make it illegal for them to like A.

Some people don't seem to grasp the concept of "live and let live".

Jay

... How much money does a pirate pay for corn? A buccaneer

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2020/10/23 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Northern Realms
  • From HusTler@VERT/HAVENS to Warpslide on Wed Nov 4 19:17:34 2020
    Re: Re: Privilege
    By: Warpslide to Vk3jed on Wed Nov 04 2020 09:03 am

Exactly. I've never understood why so many people are concerned with what others are doing.

Just because someone likes A and I like B doesn't mean either of us is wrong it just means I like something different than that person. I'm certainly no going to run out and lobby the government to make it illegal for them to lik A.

I suppose folks are afraid of who you're taking with you. Parents are afraid mainly. Our entire society runs on fear if you think about it. It's a very hard sell to tell someone who is afraid not to be afraid. Laws of nature I suppose?

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Havens BBS havens.synchro.net
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Warpslide on Fri Nov 6 02:08:00 2020
    On 11-04-20 09:03, Warpslide wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Exactly. I've never understood why so many people are concerned with
    what others are doing.

Yep, you get it, and understood the historical reference too it seems. :)

Just because someone likes A and I like B doesn't mean either of us is wrong, it just means I like something different than that person. I'm certainly not going to run out and lobby the government to make it
    illegal for them to like A.

Agree, if it hurts no one, why not?

Precisely. One of the most important concepts when it comes to living together in a society like outs, or at least it would better if this was a core principle. :)

... Bacon didn't write Shakespeare; Shakespeare ate bacon!
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
    ■ Synchronet ■ Freeway BBS, Bendigo Australia. freeway.apana.org.au
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to WARPSLIDE on Thu Nov 5 21:29:00 2020

I think many grasp it, but it interferes with their desire to make other miserable.

* SLMR 2.1a * Tip: Never take a beer to a job interview.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP