• Re: Apple M1 Chip

From Tracker1@VERT/TRN to Zouf on Mon May 24 13:02:17 2021
    On 5/23/2021 7:36 AM, Zouf wrote:
    Yeah - I recently replaced my work MacBook Air with an M1 chip model -
    WOW! Better performance as far as the chip, but also on the battery!

The M1 is an incredible chip. I think almost everyone has been blown away by the high level of performance and low power consumtion. I never thought I'd see
    an ultra-low voltage chip compete with full sized Ryzen and Intel chips. I've never really thought about Apple's computers but I am now seriously tempted to
    purchase one of their newly released M1 iMacs. We should see a lot of applications and games ported over to ARM as the market will be quite large considering that M1s are going to be placed into all Apple computer lines -- iMacs, MacBooks and iPad Pros.

Would suggest a mini over the iMac.. not a fan of all in ones, as you're tethering your display to your computer. Would also suggest 16gb ram
    and 512gb storage if you're doing any virtualization or running services (software dev, etc). For day to day use, 8gb is probably okay with the
    faster memory interface on the m1.
    --
    Michael J. Ryan - tracker1@roughneckbbs.com
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com
  • From Zouf@VERT/AMSTRAD to Tracker1 on Tue May 25 23:00:03 2021
    Re: Re: Apple M1 Chip
    By: Tracker1 to Zouf on Mon May 24 2021 01:02 pm

Would suggest a mini over the iMac.. not a fan of all in ones, as you're tethering your display to your computer. Would also suggest 16gb ram
    and 512gb storage if you're doing any virtualization or running services (software dev, etc). For day to day use, 8gb is probably okay with the faster memory interface on the m1.

Thanks for the advice Tracker. I do have my heart set on an all-in-one though because of the aesthetics of the hardware -- it really is beautiful!

I already have a machine in my study which I will be looking to replace by August so I wouldn't be picking up an iMac until then anyway. The machine would really be an entertainment device mostly for video streaming, web-browsing, FaceTime calls and some gaming. I will definitely get the machine with a larger SSD and more memory because it'll probably have to last me 3-4 years.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ BBS for Amstrad computer users including CPC, PPC and PCW!
  • From JIMMY ANDERSON@VERT/OTHETA to TRACKER1 on Wed Jun 2 21:41:00 2021
    TRACKER1 wrote to ZOUF <=-

@VIA: TRN
    @MSGID: <60AC0648.18142.dove-general@roughneckbbs.com>
    @REPLY: <60AA688B.26347.dove-general@amstrad.simulant.uk>
    On 5/23/2021 7:36 AM, Zouf wrote:
    Yeah - I recently replaced my work MacBook Air with an M1 chip model -
    WOW! Better performance as far as the chip, but also on the battery!

The M1 is an incredible chip. I think almost everyone has been blown away by the high level of performance and low power consumtion. I never thought I'd
    se
    e
    an ultra-low voltage chip compete with full sized Ryzen and Intel chips.
    I've
    never really thought about Apple's computers but I am now seriously tempted
    to

purchase one of their newly released M1 iMacs. We should see a lot of applications and games ported over to ARM as the market will be quite large considering that M1s are going to be placed into all Apple computer lines -- iMacs, MacBooks and iPad Pros.

Would suggest a mini over the iMac.. not a fan of all in ones, as
    you're tethering your display to your computer. Would also suggest
    16gb ram and 512gb storage if you're doing any virtualization or
    running services (software dev, etc). For day to day use, 8gb is
    probably okay with the faster memory interface on the m1.

I run several apps at once - including Mail, Photoshop, Slack, Safari,
    Chrome - I can tell you that the M1 MB Air with 8 gig is MUCH faster
    than the old chip with 16 gig RAM...

... Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
    ■ wcQWK 8.0 ≈ Omicron Theta * Memphis, TN * winserver.org
  • From JIMMY ANDERSON@VERT/OTHETA to ZOUF on Wed Jun 2 21:43:00 2021
    ZOUF wrote to TRACKER1 <=-

and 512gb storage if you're doing any virtualization or running services (software dev, etc). For day to day use, 8gb is probably okay with the faster memory interface on the m1.

Thanks for the advice Tracker. I do have my heart set on an all-in-one though because of the aesthetics of the hardware -- it really is beautiful!

BTW - I have a MacMini, but not the M1 chip. I have it hooked up as an 'alternate device' to my television and my Apple TV will play media
    from it. :-) That's all I use it for. :-)

... All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound?
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
    ■ wcQWK 8.0 ≈ Omicron Theta * Memphis, TN * winserver.org
  • From MATTHEW MUNSON@VERT/IUTOPIA to ZOUF on Sat Jun 5 16:32:00 2021
    The M1 is an incredible chip. I think almost everyone has been blown away by the high level of performance and low power consumtion. I never thought I'd see
    an ultra-low voltage chip compete with full sized Ryzen and Intel chips. I've
    never really thought about Apple's computers but I am now seriously tempted to
    If I could play a game like Final Fantasy 14 on it in medium mode, id be
    open to switching.

---
    ■ wcQWK 8.0 ≈ Inland Utopia * iutopia.duckdns.org:2323
  • From Zouf@VERT/AMSTRAD to MATTHEW MUNSON on Sun Jun 6 12:30:18 2021
    Re: Apple M1 Chip
    By: MATTHEW MUNSON to ZOUF on Sat Jun 05 2021 04:32 pm

The M1 is an incredible chip. I think almost everyone has been blown away the high level of performance and low power consumtion. I never thought I an ultra-low voltage chip compete with full sized Ryzen and Intel chips. never really thought about Apple's computers but I am now seriously tempt
    If I could play a game like Final Fantasy 14 on it in medium mode, id be open to switching.

The M1 would be able to run FF14 at the highest settings with ease however you would be relying on the developers to port it over to ARM chips.

The M1 is powerful enough to run a reasonably demanding game such as Divinity: Original Sin 2 on the highest PC settings at a stable 60 fps. It's no slouch, even for gaming.

---
  • From MATTHEW MUNSON@VERT/IUTOPIA to ZOUF on Tue Jun 8 20:47:00 2021
    The M1 is powerful enough to run a reasonably demanding game such as Divinity:
    Original Sin 2 on the highest PC settings at a stable 60 fps. It's no slouch,
    even for gaming.
    Hopefully by the M2 happens, i could make the switch over to Apple land.
    I am about ready to join the cult.

---
  • From Andeddu@VERT/AMSTRAD to MATTHEW MUNSON on Wed Jun 9 19:35:26 2021
    By: MATTHEW MUNSON to ZOUF on Tue Jun 08 2021 08:47 pm

Hopefully by the M2 happens, i could make the switch over to Apple land.
    I am about ready to join the cult.

I'll be waiting for the M2 as well as by that point, a lot of developers will be porting over their software to Apple systems. Unsure about whether an iMac or a MacBook is the best system for me though. I kind of want something static however I can't discard the notion of picking up a lovely unibody laptop.

---
  • From MATTHEW MUNSON@VERT/IUTOPIA to ANDEDDU on Sun Jun 20 20:12:00 2021
    I'll be waiting for the M2 as well as by that point, a lot of developers will
    be porting over their software to Apple systems. Unsure about whether an iMac
    or a MacBook is the best system for me though. I kind of want something static
    however I can't discard the notion of picking up a lovely unibody laptop.
    Right now I just decided to go ipad air 2020. Something mid ranged to be
    used for stuff like remote confrences or email reading in bed.

---
  • From Andeddu@VERT/AMSTRAD to MATTHEW MUNSON on Wed Jun 30 00:09:00 2021
    By: MATTHEW MUNSON to ANDEDDU on Sun Jun 20 2021 08:12 pm

Right now I just decided to go ipad air 2020. Something mid ranged to be used for stuff like remote confrences or email reading in bed.

I think the iPad Air 2020 has an A14 chip in it which is essentially a downclocked M1. It's the same chip in my iPhone 12 and should be fine for at least the next 5 years.

---