• Re: 5G Speeds

From Warpslide@VERT/NRBBS to Ogg on Wed May 26 10:56:00 2021
    On 26 May 2021, Ogg said the following...

5G wrt speed is fine and dandy in theory - it needs cells at
    about every few hundred meters or so. I only see issues of
    outtages and high maintenance costs in the future.

There's two kinds of 5G out right now. There's "regular" 5G (Sub-6GHz) which uses the same technologies as LTE & then there's the millimetre wave 5G (mmWave) where you get the incredible speeds but require the cells to be much closer together (and often line-of-sight).

We don't have mmWave in Canada as of yet. From what I'm reading it won't
    be here until at least 2022-2023 as the spectrum auctions haven't even
    happened yet.

That being said, I've done some speed tests with my 4G LTE iPhone and in certain areas I can get ~800Mb down. So for me anyway, LTE is more than fast enough for my current needs. Now when they introduce 12K Holographic Netfix, my needs my change... ;)

Jay

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Northern Realms
  • From Zouf@VERT/AMSTRAD to Warpslide on Fri May 28 12:04:32 2021
    Re: Re: 5G Speeds
    By: Warpslide to Ogg on Wed May 26 2021 10:56 am

That being said, I've done some speed tests with my 4G LTE iPhone and in certain areas I can get ~800Mb down. So for me anyway, LTE is more than fas enough for my current needs. Now when they introduce 12K Holographic Netfix my needs my change... ;)

As far as I know, no one has asked for mmWave 5G... it's just being thrust upon us as a natural progression of mobile internet. There realy is no need to download a movie in less than one minute as almost everything is streamed anyway. They're obviously planning to get rid of the old cable infrastructure and replacing it with this. 4G LE
    is fast enough for my needs.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ BBS for Amstrad computer users including CPC, PPC and PCW!
  • From Warpslide@VERT/NRBBS to Zouf on Fri May 28 14:06:00 2021
    On 28 May 2021, Zouf said the following...

As far as I know, no one has asked for mmWave 5G... it's just being
    thrust upon us as a natural progression of mobile internet. There realy
    is no need to download a movie in less than one minute as almost everything is streamed anyway. They're obviously planning to get rid of the old cable infrastructure and replacing it with this.

I can see it being of use in densely packed urban areas & even stadiums.

With each "cell" being closer together together and those signals not travelling as far, you have more access points but less people per access point.

4G LTE is fast enough for my needs.

Same for me as well. I don't really see mmWave being of much use in rural areas

Jay

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Northern Realms
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Zouf on Fri May 28 17:44:50 2021
    By: Zouf to Warpslide on Fri May 28 2021 12:04 pm

As far as I know, no one has asked for mmWave 5G... it's just being thrust upon us as a natural progression of mobile internet. There realy is no need to download a movie in less than one minute as almost everything is streamed anyway. They're obviously planning to get rid of the old cable

if you are streaming it, you are downloading it.

they wont get rid of the old cable infrastructure. they will milk it as long as they can.
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Zouf@VERT/AMSTRAD to Warpslide on Sat May 29 12:46:49 2021
    By: Warpslide to Zouf on Fri May 28 2021 02:06 pm

On 28 May 2021, Zouf said the following...

As far as I know, no one has asked for mmWave 5G... it's just being thrust upon us as a natural progression of mobile internet. There realy is no need to download a movie in less than one minute as almost everything is streamed anyway. They're obviously planning to get rid of the old cable infrastructure and replacing it with this.

I can see it being of use in densely packed urban areas & even stadiums.

With each "cell" being closer together together and those signals not travelling as far, you have more access points but less people per access point.

4G LTE is fast enough for my needs.

Same for me as well. I don't really see mmWave being of much use in rural areas

Jay

The cities will surely be run on mmWave due to its densley packed nature. Rural areas will still receive 5G however it'll be slower Starlink style sattelites similar to 4G.

---
  • From Zouf@VERT/AMSTRAD to MRO on Sat May 29 12:50:10 2021
    By: MRO to Zouf on Fri May 28 2021 05:44 pm

By: Zouf to Warpslide on Fri May 28 2021 12:04 pm

As far as I know, no one has asked for mmWave 5G... it's just being thrus upon us as a natural progression of mobile internet. There realy is no ne to download a movie in less than one minute as almost everything is strea anyway. They're obviously planning to get rid of the old cable

if you are streaming it, you are downloading it.

they wont get rid of the old cable infrastructure. they will milk it as lon

What I meant was that the difference between a good cable connection and 5G would be imperceptible if you're straming video... even 4K can be streamed on fibre with no buffering.

---