• dumb newbie question regarding a CCW

From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to All on Fri Apr 12 13:45:35 2013
    Would you rather carry something dirt simple like a revolver, or a small semi-automatic?

I'm wondering about the chances of a semi-auto jamming when you need it most - realistically, how often do semi-automatic pistols jam?

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Nonya@VERT/PIMPTAST to Poindexter Fortran on Fri Apr 12 22:12:22 2013
    Re: dumb newbie question regarding a CCW
    By: Poindexter Fortran to All on Fri Apr 12 2013 09:45:35

I'm wondering about the chances of a semi-auto jamming when you need it most realistically, how often do semi-automatic pistols jam?
    I've never had one jam on me in the Balkans, the Middle East, or Africa. The
    n again, I was using a Beretta M9 that was cleaned every day and kept well lubricated. It was also shot every day. MY current CCW is an XDm in 9mm and I've beat the unholy hell out of that pistol. It's been soaked in water, caked in mud, and generally beat to crap and it still fires when the booger-picker hits the bang switch. 1911s can be more finicky when it comes to jamming, but a well-made and cared-for 1911 shouldn't have problems. I've also never seen nor heard of a Glock jamming unless someone was using some really piss-poor ammo.
    Nonya - Pimptastic BBS

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Nonya's Pimptastic BBS
  • From Zombie Mambo@VERT/ZOMBZONE to Poindexter Fortran on Sat Apr 13 01:44:00 2013
    Re: dumb newbie question rega
    By: Poindexter Fortran to All on Fri Apr 12 2013 10:45 am

Would you rather carry something dirt simple like a revolver, or a small semi-automatic?

I'm wondering about the chances of a semi-auto jamming when you need it most realistically, how often do semi-automatic pistols jam?

Cheap .22 or .25 semi-auto's jam frequently, but usually because of shooter error (limp wrist) or using jacketed rounds which get caught up on feed.

A proper grip + FMJ rounds prevents most FTF's.

That being said, I've had Jenning's .22's and Lorcin .380's, probably two of th WORST firearms you can own. I think I paid a total of $140 for both. Both brand new.

I broke them down, cleaned them, and used a proper grip and found them to actually be reliable. Not saying run out and by crap, but just saying.

I'm not sure I buy the whole "revolvers are more reliable than semi-autos"
    line anymore... Semis have come a long way.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ +-=[ The Zombie Zone BBS * focker.gotdns.com ]=-+
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Poindexter Fortran on Fri Apr 12 23:47:27 2013
    By: Poindexter Fortran to All on Fri Apr 12 2013 09:45:35

I'd carry both, if I could. A revolver for the reliability, and a semi-auto in case I was in a situation that required exchanging more than
    6-8 shots.
    I think that how often semi-autos jam is a very variable thing.
    It depends primarily on the care of the firearm, the conditions that
    you're shooting in (primarily concerning sand/dirt/other crap that may get into the slide/bolt mechanism), and the make of the firearm.
    If I could only pick one I'd probably pick a revolver with a few speedloaders to go somewhere handy in case I needed the extra shots.

-The opinions expressed are not necessarily an advocation of any of the aforementioned ideologies, concepts, or actions. We still have the freedom of speech, for now, and I enjoy using it in a satirical or ficticious manner to amuse myself-

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a
    revolutionary act." -- George Orwell

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Tinfoil Tetrahedron : telnet bismaninfo.hopto.org 8023 : http:8080
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Nonya on Mon Apr 15 04:02:04 2013
    By: Nonya to Poindexter Fortran on Fri Apr 12 2013 06:12 pm

I've never had one jam on me in the Balkans, the Middle East, or
    Africa. The n again, I was using a Beretta M9 that was cleaned every day and kept well lubricated.

Good point. I'd expect mine to sit in a nightstand drawer locked until needed, and need to fire from the first pull after hopefully sitting for a long, long time. :)

---
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Zombie Mambo on Mon Apr 15 04:03:13 2013
    By: Zombie Mambo to Poindexter Fortran on Fri Apr 12 2013 09:44 pm

Cheap .22 or .25 semi-auto's jam frequently, but usually because of shooter error (limp wrist) or using jacketed rounds which get caught up on feed.

Round issues I can understand, but how does a limp wrist cause a jam?

Newbie looking to learn where I can,

--pF

---
  • From Nonya@VERT/PIMPTAST to Poindexter Fortran on Mon Apr 15 12:47:43 2013
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Zombie Mambo on Mon Apr 15 2013 00:03:13

A semi-auto pistol uses the blowback from the gases created after a round is fired in order to cycle the action. Usually this means the slide has to cycle back in order to eject the spent casing and then forward to load the next round in the magazine. If you "limp" wrist it then there's no firm force for the spring in the slide asembly to work against and the slide won't go all the way back far enough to eject the spent casing. This can cause what they call "stovepiping" where the spent case is not ejected all the way and instead gets caught in the slide between the throat of the barrel and the firing pin face of the slide.
    It's worse than that, it's physics Jim!
    Nonya - Pimptastic BBS

---
  • From Zombie Mambo@VERT/ZOMBZONE to Nonya on Tue Apr 16 19:52:00 2013
    By: Nonya to Poindexter Fortran on Mon Apr 15 2013 09:47 am

Great answer.
    This can happen very easily on cheaper, smaller caliber semi autos like .22
    and .25's. Sometimes, the spent casing will get ejected, but the new round
    will get cockeyed and loaded at an angle that causes it to get jammed.

A firm grip prevents the round being fed from moving.

Better firearms and sometimes better ammo make this less of a possibilty.
    For example, a jacketed round with a rim you can feel may have this issue vs.
    a full metal jacket which is smoother and less likely to catch something
    while being fed.

Or so I've read.
    ;)

Anyways, to put an end to this thread, I've rulled out the Beretta Nano, and the S&W Shield M&P 9mm and opted for the Ruger LC9. It fits my needs best.

By: Poindexter Fortran to Zombie Mambo on Mon Apr 15 2013 00:03:13

A semi-auto pistol uses the blowback from the gases created after a round is fired in order to cycle the action. Usually this means the slide has to cyc back in order to eject the spent casing and then forward to load the next ro in the magazine. If you "limp" wrist it then there's no firm force for the spring in the slide asembly to work against and the slide won't go all the w back far enough to eject the spent casing. This can cause what they call "stovepiping" where the spent case is not ejected all the way and instead ge caught in the slide between the throat of the barrel and the firing pin face the slide.
    It's worse than that, it's physics Jim!
    Nonya - Pimptastic BBS

Thanks,
    Zombie Mambo

-=+:[ The Zombie Zone BBS * focker.gotdns.com ]:+=-

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ +-=[ The Zombie Zone BBS * focker.gotdns.com ]=-+
  • From Nonya@VERT/PIMPTAST to Zombie Mambo on Wed Apr 17 01:38:04 2013
    By: Zombie Mambo to Nonya on Tue Apr 16 2013 15:52:00

Anyways, to put an end to this thread, I've rulled out the Beretta Nano, and the S&W Shield M&P 9mm and opted for the Ruger LC9. It fits my needs best.
    I carry a Springfield XDm in either a Raven Concealment Systems holster or a Crossbreed Holsters Supertuck Deluxe depending on my needs at the time. My only "tiny" pistol is either an SR22 w/supressor or Para Warthog 3" .45. The Para hides real nice and luckily it's one of the later ones where they worked out the feeding kinks. If I'm deep in the back country, I carry a Dan Wesson .357 I inherited from my father. He had it tuned even further and it's a tack driver and has the smoothest and lightest pull I've ever felt on an revolver. I have heard good things about the SR9 though, however years ago I saw the prototypes of the XD at the latter part of the Balkans war and it just worked and was built like a tank. The Glock never fit my smaller hands, the S&W had a funky grip angle...the XD I can point-shoot like a 1911 because they modeled the grip angle after the 1911.
    Nonya - Pimptastic BBS

---
  • From Jimmylogan@VERT/THEDARKT to Poindexter Fortran on Wed May 1 12:04:54 2013
    By: Poindexter Fortran to All on Fri Apr 12 2013 09:45 am

I've heard that question all my adult life - sure, it can jam, but a revolver can misfire as well.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Dark Tower - thedarkt.synchro.net
  • From Jimmylogan@VERT/THEDARKT to Poindexter Fortran on Wed May 1 12:10:44 2013
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Zombie Mambo on Mon Apr 15 2013 12:03 am

By: Zombie Mambo to Poindexter Fortran on Fri Apr 12 2013 09:44 pm

Cheap .22 or .25 semi-auto's jam frequently, but usually because of shoo error (limp wrist) or using jacketed rounds which get caught up on feed.

Newbie looking to learn where I can,

--pF

This may have already been answered, but I'm reading via telnet to a BBS, so not easy to scan messages. :-)

The slide is operated on a semi by "blowback" from the round being fired. Your grip gives it a good "foundation" by holding the lower part of the gun "fixed" so the slide can operate. If you are limp wristed then you are allowing the gun to flip in your hand. Instead of the handle area being held firm so the power of the blowback can operate the slide, the slide is moving with the whole gun.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Dark Tower - thedarkt.synchro.net
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Jimmylogan on Thu May 2 07:59:04 2013
    By: Jimmylogan to Poindexter Fortran on Wed May 01 2013 08:04:54

I've heard that question all my adult life - sure, it can jam, but a revolve can misfire as well.

Well when you come down to it, that's not gonna happen if you're taking proper care of your firearm and ammunition.

-The opinions expressed are not necessarily an advocation of any of the aforementioned ideologies, concepts, or actions. We still have the freedom of speech, for now, and I enjoy using it in a satirical or ficticious manner to amuse myself-

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a
    revolutionary act." -- George Orwell

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Tinfoil Tetrahedron : telnet bismaninfo.hopto.org 8023 : http:8080
  • From Nonya@VERT/PIMPTAST to Khelair on Thu May 2 20:42:51 2013
    By: Khelair to Jimmylogan on Thu May 02 2013 03:59:04

Well when you come down to it, that's not gonna happen if you're taking proper care of your firearm and ammunition.

Correct. My father's Dan Wesson .357 that I've inherited has never let me down. 6 speedloaders helps with reloading a lot as well.

Nonya - Pimptastic BBS

---