• Ham Radio and BBS

From Heliarc@VERT/HAVENS to All on Tue May 14 21:05:13 2019

Please explain this to me like I'm a 5 year old. What's the connection between Ham Radio and Synchronet BBS??

Heliarc

... I think sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Sent from Haven BBS. havens.synchro.net
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Heliarc on Wed May 15 15:40:00 2019
    On 05-14-19 17:05, Heliarc wrote to All <=-

@VIA: VERT/HAVENS

Please explain this to me like I'm a 5 year old. What's the connection between Ham Radio and Synchronet BBS??

1. BBSs once were a major forum for ham radio discussion and repository for software.

2. Synchronet can be put on packet radio via IP or AX.25.

... All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound?
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
    ■ Synchronet ■ Freeway BBS, Bendigo Australia. freeway.apana.org.au
  • From Va7aqd@VERT/VA7AQDS to Heliarc on Tue May 14 23:30:10 2019
    Re: Ham Radio and BBS
    By: Heliarc to All on Tue May 14 2019 05:05 pm

Nothing official, but Synchronet does have some scripts/add-ons/menus etc. that were designed to work directly in a Ham setup (and
    these things come with the Synchronet package). Now from what I've learned, they're not supported and are in dire need of some
    fix-ups to be able to actually work, but they're there for anyone to tinker with.

I think that response is still above a 5 year old level, but I think the whole 'gear it for a 5 year old thing' should actually be
    rather insulting for most adults. ;-)

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ VA7AQD's Tavern - bbs.isurf.ca
  • From echicken to Heliarc on Wed May 15 03:30:52 2019
    By: Heliarc to All on Tue May 14 2019 17:05:13

There isn't one, really, but BBSing and ham radio are both communication-oriented hobbies, so it's not surprisng that there's some overlap between enthusiasts or that they want to discuss one hobby via the other.

We do have a few ham-related modules (practice tests for license exams, IRC bot modules for looking up callsign info) because some sysops who are also hams wanted these things. I occasionally mess around with using Synchronet over packet radio (but it's really not worth the effort).

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-425-5435
  • From Steve Wolf@VERT/HAVENS to Va7aqd on Wed May 15 23:22:42 2019
    By: Va7aqd to Heliarc on Tue May 14 2019 07:30 pm

Nothing official, but Synchronet does have some scripts/add-ons/menus etc. that were designed to work directly in a Ham setup (and these things come with the Synchronet package). Now from what I've learned, they're not supported and are in dire need of some fix-ups to be able to actually work, but they're there for anyone to tinker with.

whole 'gear it for a 5 year old thing' should actually be rather insulting for most adults. ;-)

Thank you for that. I needed a non-technical explaination. Google was no help. Are you saying someone could talk over a Ham radio and the results could be posted on Dovenet? Would I be correct in saying that?

Steve Wolf
    aka HusTler
    Havens BBS havens.synchro.net (1:267/160)

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Sent from Haven BBS. havens.synchro.net
  • From echicken to Steve Wolf on Thu May 16 00:56:57 2019
    By: Steve Wolf to Va7aqd on Wed May 15 2019 19:22:42

Thank you for that. I needed a non-technical explaination. Google was no help. Are you saying someone could talk over a Ham radio and the results could be posted on Dovenet? Would I be correct in saying that?

There is currently no ready-to-go solution that puts Synchronet "on the air" or in a position to receive anything via ham radio.

It would be possible to put your BBS on the air via packet radio (or some other digital mode) for computer-to-computer communication, but that would take some effort. There's no ready-made solution for that, but external things could be cobbled together.

As for someone "talking" and it being posted to DOVE-Net, do you mean speech-to-text? That's also conceivable, but would take considerable effort, and audio quality would probably make it pretty dodgy.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-425-5435
  • From Va7aqd@VERT/VA7AQDS to Steve Wolf on Thu May 16 02:51:33 2019
    By: Steve Wolf to Va7aqd on Wed May 15 2019 07:22 pm

Thank you for that. I needed a non-technical explaination. Google was no help. Are you saying someone could talk over a Ham
    radio and the results could be posted on Dovenet? Would I be correct in saying that?

Not literally talk, they would be using a packet setup remotely... so, "talking" using a digital signal over the air. Like a
    half-duplex modem.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ VA7AQD's Tavern - bbs.isurf.ca
  • From JIMMY ANDERSON@VERT/OTHETA to ECHICKEN on Thu May 16 08:58:00 2019
    ECHICKEN wrote to HELIARC <=-

There isn't one, really, but BBSing and ham radio are both communication-oriented hobbies, so it's not surprisng that there's some overlap between enthusiasts or that they want to discuss one hobby via
    the other.

Yeah - this was going to be my response as well. :-)

... I'm always late. My ancestors arrived on the Juneflower.
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
    ■ wcQWK 8.0 ≈ Omicron Theta * Southaven MS * winserver.org
  • From Steve Wolf@VERT/HAVENS to JIMMY ANDERSON on Fri May 17 03:16:58 2019
    Re: Re: Ham Radio and BBS
    By: JIMMY ANDERSON to ECHICKEN on Thu May 16 2019 04:58 am

connection between Ham Radio and Synchronet BBS??

There isn't one, really, but BBSing and ham radio are both
    communication-oriented hobbies, so it's not surprisng that there's
    some overlap between enthusiasts or that they want to discuss one
    hobby via the other.

Oh.. I thought the BBS was able to commuicate some sort of Ham radio signals or something. I thought I saw some sort of software for Synchronet but I could be wrong. Thanks for the replies.

HusTler
    Havens BBS havens.synchro.net:23 (1:267/160)

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Sent from Havens BBS havens.synchro.net:23 (1:267/160)