• Frontier router vs. Asus RT-N66U router

From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to All on Wed Sep 2 01:21:58 2015
    Recently I dropped my Comcast internet service and went to Frontier since I'd be paying less with Frontier's service. I'm using their Fios "2fast" 50/50 service, and Frontier set me up with one of their Actiontec MI424WR routers. They connected it via an ethernet port (rather than a coax port), so I was curious if I could use my own router. Frontier's router seems alright, but I'm not sure it has as many features as my router (an Asus RT-N66U running the Tomato firmware).

I'm able to get online with my router, but the odd thing is that my internet speed is slower with it, especially the upload speed. With my router, speedtest.net showed a download speed of about 46 megabit and an upload speed of under 6 megabit (which is quite less than the 50 I should be getting). With Frontier's router, I get close to 50 megabit for both upload & download (about 48 or so, but it can vary). I'm not sure why that would be.. I tried cloning the MAC address of Frontier's router in my router, in case they check for that, but that didn't make a difference. Does anyone have an idea why my upload speed would be so slow when using my own router vs. Frontier's router?

On another note, Frontier's customer service has been a little odd. I just recently moved into my current place, and when I first contacted Frontier to get internet set up here, they said the people living here just before me sometimes didn't pay their bill, so my address was flagged in their system - and the customer support rep said I might have to talk to the regional manager and explain my situation & I'm not related to the previous tenants. I eventually found a different phone number for Frontier and called them, and they got a technician out to set up my internet without any hassle.

The tech said someone called me on the install day to say they couldn't make it, but I never got that call. The tech was still able to come out and set up my internet.

I realized that he didn't give me an account number, so I wondered if I'd have to wait for my first bill in order to get that info. I decided to go ahead and talk to Frontier customer service online today, and I got my account number. I wanted to ensure I could pay my bill online, so I created a user account on Frontier's web site, but my internet account didn't get linked with my web site account with Frontier. I talked to another customer support rep, and they had to file a ticket & said it should be fixed within 48 hours. Hopefully it does end up getting fixed..

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Nightfox on Wed Sep 2 10:34:59 2015
    Re: Frontier router vs. Asus RT-N66U router
    By: Nightfox to All on Tue Sep 01 2015 09:21 pm

I'm able to get online with my router, but the odd thing is that my internet speed is slower with it, especially the upload speed. With my router, speedtest.net showed a download speed of about 46 megabit and an upload speed of under 6 megabit (which is quite less than the 50 I should be getting). With Frontier's router, I get close to 50 megabit for both upload & download (about 48 or so, but it can vary). I'm not sure why that would be.. I tried cloning the MAC address of Frontier's router in my router, in case they check for that, but that didn't make a difference.

What kind of router do you have? Some older routers aren't up to higher speeds available now.

I had a Linksys WRT54G (the blue one) for years, running a DD-WRT derivative called Tomato. When Comcast rolled out DOCSIS 3.0, they did so with one of those Xfinitywifi routers, and I was getting 50 mbps/20mbps, about the tier I was paying for. When I had Comcast put my router into bridge mode and put my Linksys in place, I was getting 20/8 - about what I got with DOCSIS 2.0. When I bought a newer Buffalo router, I was back to 50/20.

I went back to the Linksys at my new place, and curiously I'm getting the same throughput as with the newer Buffalos.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From spacesst@VERT/SPACESST to Nightfox on Wed Sep 2 15:22:49 2015
    By: Nightfox to All on Invalid Time

I realized that he didn't give me an account number, so I wondered if I'd have to wait for my first bill in order to get that info. I decided to go ahead and talk to Frontier customer service online today, and I got my account number. I wanted to ensure I could pay my bill online, so I created a user account on Frontier's web site, but my internet account didn't get linked with my web site account with Frontier. I talked to another customer support rep, and they had to file a ticket & said it should be fixed within 48 hours. Hopefully it does end up getting fixed..

Welcome to a Compagny that DEPARTEMENTs do not talk to each other !

... I call things as I see them; If I didn't see them, I make them up!

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ SpaceSST BBS
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Poindexter Fortran on Wed Sep 2 12:02:13 2015
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Nightfox on Wed Sep 02 2015 06:34:59

What kind of router do you have? Some older routers aren't up to higher speeds available now.

My router is an Asus RT-N66U running the Tomato firmware (I had mentioned that in my original message - also the message title says Frontier router vs. Asus RT-N66U).

I had a Linksys WRT54G (the blue one) for years, running a DD-WRT derivative called Tomato. When Comcast rolled out DOCSIS 3.0, they did so with one of those Xfinitywifi routers, and I was getting 50 mbps/20mbps, about the tier I was paying for. When I had Comcast put my router into bridge mode and put my Linksys in place, I was getting 20/8 - about what I got with DOCSIS 2.0. When I bought a newer Buffalo router, I was back to 50/20.

I went back to the Linksys at my new place, and curiously I'm getting the same throughput as with the newer Buffalos.

What's odd is that my router seems to be able to handle the download speed okay (I get near 50 megabit with it), so I don't know why the upload is so slow with my router.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to All on Wed Sep 2 22:35:35 2015
    By: Nightfox to All on Tue Sep 01 2015 21:21:58

Recently I dropped my Comcast internet service and went to Frontier since I'd be paying less with Frontier's service. I'm using their Fios "2fast" 50/50 service, and Frontier set me up with one of their Actiontec MI424WR routers. They connected it via an ethernet port (rather than a coax port),

I'm able to get online with my router, but the odd thing is that my internet speed is slower with it, especially the upload speed. With my

I realized what the issue was with my router, and I've fixed it.. A while ago, I was changing some of the QoS settings, and I had left those settings enabled. There were some settings that were limiting my internet speeds. For now I've just disabled QoS, and I have full internet speed with my router now.

Nightfox

---