• Automatic Time setup

From Denngray@VERT/OUTWEST to All on Fri Nov 27 02:34:21 2015
    Ok, I have my Synchronet 3.16c BBS setup on Ubuntu 14.04 on a VPS, If anything happens and I need to reset my server I have to manually set my time and date.
    Does anyone know how to automate this process in Linux?

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Outwest BBS - outwestbbs.com - 10 Nodes - 8,000+ files
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Denngray on Fri Nov 27 05:19:18 2015
    Re: Automatic Time setup
    By: Denngray to All on Thu Nov 26 2015 09:34 pm

Ok, I have my Synchronet 3.16c BBS setup on Ubuntu 14.04 on a VPS, If anything
    happens and I need to reset my server I have to manually set my time and date.

Install the NTP service.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #1:
    Synchronet version 2 for DOS and OS/2 was released to the public domain in 1997.
    Norco, CA WX: 47.4°F, 80.0% humidity, 3 mph WNW wind, 0.04 inches rain/24hrs

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Denngray@VERT/OUTWEST to Digital Man on Fri Nov 27 08:02:35 2015
    By: Digital Man to Denngray on Fri Nov 27 2015 12:19 am

Install the NTP service.

Ok, Thank you for that DM, I am still learning all the ins and outs of linux:)

---
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Denngray on Fri Nov 27 15:04:49 2015
    By: Denngray to All on Thu Nov 26 2015 21:34:21

Ok, I have my Synchronet 3.16c BBS setup on Ubuntu 14.04 on a VPS, If anything happens and I need to reset my server I have to manually set my time and date.

It sounds like you have an issue with your motherboard's battery to keep that lil' clock tickin?
    Anyway, my advice would be to install 'ntpd' (network time protocol daemon), which should take care of bringing your system back to normal time pretty quick, depending on how you have it set up. On a debian system (including mint/whatever else uses .debs) you'll want to do apt-get install ntpd (or ntp if that doesn't work, I can't remember for certain but I think the 'd' is on the end as well). After that due to the fact that you've got a somewhat special issue where your clock always [presumably] zeros out when the system is reset or turned off, you'll want to 'man ntpd' and find out what you can put in the configuration file in order to A) make it step all the way to the right new time, instead of with small increments meant only to address minor drift, and B) make sure that it runs a check immediately when ntpd first loads up, so as to correct your clock problem as early as possible upon boot up.
    If you need help with the configuration of (I think the file is) /etc/ntpd.conf, I'd be more than happy to help. Oh, on CentOS or any other RHEL version of linux, the command instead of apt-get would be yum install ntpd.
    Hope this helps a little bit.

-D/K

---
    Borg Burgers: We do it our way; your way is irrelevant.
    ■ Synchronet ■ Tinfoil Tetrahedron BBS telnet://tinfoil.synchro.net
  • From Denngray@VERT/OUTWEST to Khelair on Sat Nov 28 05:21:15 2015
    Re: Re: Automatic Time setup
    By: Khelair to Denngray on Fri Nov 27 2015 10:04 am

It sounds like you have an issue with your motherboard's battery to keep that lil' clock tickin?

If it were a local machine that would have also been my guess:)

Anyway, my advice would be to install 'ntpd' (network time protocol
    If you need help with the configuration of (I think the file is) /etc/ntpd.conf, I'd be more than happy to help. Oh, on CentOS or any other
    Hope this helps a little bit.

Yes I think that will help allot, thank you, and Thanks to DM as well.

---
  • From Ragnarok@VERT/DOCKSUD to Denngray on Thu Jan 7 22:53:30 2016
    El 27/11/15 a las 07:02, Denngray escribi≤:
    By: Digital Man to Denngray on Fri Nov 27 2015 12:19 am

Install the NTP service.

Ok, Thank you for that DM, I am still learning all the ins and outs of linux:)

and setup your timezone

sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Dock Sud BBS TLD 24 HS - http://www.docksud.com.ar - telnet://bbs.docksud.com.ar