• Can't connect to internet through an OpenWrt'ed TL-WR841N

From Atoss@VERT/CBLISS to All on Sun Apr 17 08:42:41 2016
    I recently acquired a TP-Link TL-WR841N v11 router with the intent of using it in client mode (can't get a CAT5 to my room). For that I had to flash ir with OpenWrt. This worked for few days before suddenly the LuCI interface stopped responding and refused to reinstall. The only idea I had was to reflash, which lead me to the current situation - the router itself connects to the internet (I can install packages through opkg, ping addresses and even make telnet connections from it), and the PC connects to the router, but NOT the internet (I can ping the router and access it's config interfaces, but CAN'T ping or connect to anything else). I know that this is not a fault somewhere in the PC's config, as I've tried the same with other PCs. Same results.
    What am I doing wrong?
    -Thank you in advance.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ chaotic bliss - chaoticbliss.darktech.org
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Atoss on Sun Apr 17 12:53:17 2016
    Re: Can't connect to internet through an OpenWrt'ed TL-WR841N
    By: Atoss to All on Sun Apr 17 2016 04:42 am

was to reflash, which lead me to the current situation - the router itself connects to the internet (I can install packages through opkg, ping addresses and even make telnet connections from it), and the PC connects to the router, but NOT the internet (I can ping the router and access it's config interfaces, but CAN'T ping or connect to anything else). I know that this is not a fault somewhere in the PC's config, as I've tried the same with other PCs. Same results. What am I doing wrong?

Sounds like the system isn't routing packets. When you say client mode, do you mean in WDS mode where it's sharing the wireless signal between clients and using a portion of the wireless bandwidth to connect to the backbone?

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Ray Quinn@VERT/US99 to Poindexter Fortran on Sun Apr 17 23:47:00 2016
    Poindexter Fortran wrote to Atoss <=-

Re: Can't connect to internet through an OpenWrt'ed TL-WR841N
    By: Atoss to All on Sun Apr 17 2016 04:42 am

was to reflash, which lead me to the current situation - the router itself connects to the internet (I can install packages through opkg, ping addresses and even make telnet connections from it), and the PC connects to the router, but NOT the internet (I can ping the router and access it's config interfaces, but CAN'T ping or connect to anything else). I know that this is not a fault somewhere in the PC's config, as I've tried the same with other PCs. Same results. What am I doing wrong?

Sounds like the system isn't routing packets. When you say client
    mode, do you mean in WDS mode where it's sharing the wireless signal between clients and using a portion of the wireless bandwidth to
    connect to the backbone?

I am not familiar with OpenWRT, but I do use DD-WRT on a Linksys WRT54T, which, I belive, is similar. I do the same thing you are wanting to do,
    but I have mine set in CLIENT-BRIDGE mode. I have another one that I plan
    to install the OpenWRT just to check it out.

In short - look for BRIDGE mode.

_____
    , |[][]|
    ,__| ______| |
    ,__/__]|| ________ | D8 |
    |__!___!!`--'L_______\ |__________|() ___________
    "(_)[___]====(_)(_)=| \_(___________)_/__/=(_)===(_)~'

73 de Ray Quinn W6RAY
    Visalia, CA USA DM06ih

... It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.50
    ■ Synchronet ■ US 99 BBS - Visalia, CA - bbs.quinnnet.org