• Ups Battery Backup Not Wo

From DUMAS WALKER@VERT/CAPCITY2/CAPCITY to KK4QBN on Sun Feb 11 23:29:00 2018
    take good care of them. now that there are 20-40 dollar tablets out there and a
    device with a lipo battery in every hand, especially kids, who use these >devices while charging them, and the qc is pretty much non-existant it wil >happen more and more.

So, you are not supposed to use a phone while it is charging? That is
    funny because, while my personal android phone will stay off if it is
    already off when I plug it into a charger, my work iphone will immediately
    turn itself on (if it is not already on) the moment I plug the charger wire
    in.

---
    ■ SLMR 2.1a ■ "Don't touch me...I'll wound your inner child!" - Beavis
    ---
    ■ BgNet 1.0ß12 ≈ moe's * 1-502-875-8938 * moetiki.ddns.net:27
  • From KK4QBN@VERT/KK4QBN to DUMAS WALKER on Mon Feb 12 14:16:40 2018
    Re: Ups Battery Backup Not Wo
    By: DUMAS WALKER to KK4QBN on Sun Feb 11 2018 18:29:00

So, you are not supposed to use a phone while it is charging? That is funny because, while my personal android phone will stay off if it is already off when I plug it into a charger, my work iphone will immediately turn itself on (if it is not already on) the moment I plug the charger wire in.

No, it is not good to use a device while it is charging, even though most
    if you are making use of your phone, (radio) while charging, i guess depending on the device there are saftey mechanisms in place. but with cheaper tablets and devices like lets say a baofeng radio, NO its not good to use while charging. I thought this was just regular knowlege amongst most people.

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
    * Synchronet * KK4QBN BBS - kk4qbn.com - kk4qbn.synchro.net - Chatsworth GA USA
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to KK4QBN on Mon Feb 12 14:37:05 2018
    By: KK4QBN to DUMAS WALKER on Mon Feb 12 2018 09:16 am

No, it is not good to use a device while it is charging, even though most if you are making use of your phone, (radio) while charging, i guess depending on the device there are saftey mechanisms in place. but with cheaper tablets and devices like lets say a baofeng radio, NO its not good to use while charging. I thought this was just regular knowlege amongst most people.

I hadn't heard about it being really unsafe to use a phone while charging.. In fact, I thought it was fairly normal practice. I use my phone's alarm to wake up in the morning, and I have my phone plugged in to charge at night, and in order for the alarm to sound, it has to be turned on. Would that count as being in use while charging? I thought a lot of people did that. I've made use of my phone while charging, and I've never had a problem with it.

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From KK4QBN@VERT/KK4QBN to Nightfox on Mon Feb 12 21:34:49 2018
    By: Nightfox to KK4QBN on Mon Feb 12 2018 09:37:05

I hadn't heard about it being really unsafe to use a phone while charging.. In fact, I thought it was fairly normal practice. I use my phone's alarm to wake up in the morning, and I have my phone plugged in to charge at night, and in order for the alarm to sound, it has to be turned on. Would that count as being in use while charging? I thought a lot of people did that. I've made use of my phone while charging, and I've never had a problem with it.

it is a normal practice, I use my phone while charging if using navication, etc.. I don't like to. but feel safe that the charger will not screw the battery up while charging because it is a decent phone, I'm speaking of cheaply made chargers/batteries.. and truthfully what I originally was speaking about battery back up units (I know nothing about) now that I come to think about it, if the issue is the battery and you change the battery, then it really is'nt an issue. but if the issue is in the charging of said battery and that battery is a lipo (which I know now that is not) I would worry a bit. some people will swear that they don't, but through my experience the batteries have a "memory" this is why I don't like to purchase a phone or any other device that uses lipos from a retail store that turns the devices on to program the, etc before charging the battery fully from storage charge. I would rather get the device from the factory myself, and any good manufacture will ship out with a storage charge of 3.8 volts per cell, then I would charge the device fully myself with the device turned off to the max, if it turns itself on automatically I would put in airplaine mode or make sure all radios are turned off until battery is fully charged, then use the device and charge fully again before using again. I know this is impossible with the way we use cell phones, but that is why they are pretty much now disposable, a manufacturerer would not want you to use the phone past a couple years because the batteries. Please trust me on the lipo issues, that is something I know a good bit about through RC plane usage.

The UPS comment was kinda stupid because I was ignorant on the topic, question (statement) made no sense and kinda canceled itself out. but I learn from my mistakes and know now.. but with ANY device that uses lithium-ion polymer technology I try my best to follow basic battery maintence rules. If I'm not going to use the device or battery for a while (over a few weeks) I discharge the batteries to 3.8 volts per cell. and I always try my best to get a full duty cycle out of that battery before recharging.

With High quality devices, there is really no need to worry because the failsafes are built into the batteries, devices, and chargers. thats another reason its a good idea to use the factory charger for any cellphone, or device you own. or at least a high quality one that recharges at the correct voltage and mah per cell.

when the back of your cellphone or device gets hot (real hot) it is not the screen or radio in your phone, it is the battery, and it's not a good thing. it means the battery may be close to failure, or at least that the battery is not being recharged correctly while using it.

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to KK4QBN on Mon Feb 12 23:30:00 2018
    No, it is not good to use a device while it is charging, even though most
    if you are making use of your phone, (radio) while charging, i guess depending >on the device there are saftey mechanisms in place. but with cheaper tablets >and devices like lets say a baofeng radio, NO its not good to use while >charging. I thought this was just regular knowlege amongst most people.

I had always thought that, which is why I thought it was so odd that an
    iphone would power on when I plugged it in. :)

---
    ■ SLMR 2.1a ■ It's time for the Possum Lodge Word Game!!!
    ■ Synchronet ■ CAPCITY2 * CCO BBS * capcity2.synchro.net:26
  • From KK4QBN@VERT/KK4QBN to Dumas Walker on Tue Feb 13 15:23:50 2018
    By: Dumas Walker to KK4QBN on Mon Feb 12 2018 18:30:00

I had always thought that, which is why I thought it was so odd that an iphone would power on when I plugged it in. :)

Yeah, that seems kind of stupid to me, but I've also heard "rumors" that apple pushes updates onto an iphone right before the release of a new one that will slow it down, If thats true i'm sure its hardware updates, etc. I don't think they would really do it on purpose to try to get you to upgrade, but it seems now that manufacturers are in a way "suggesting" that you get a new phone every 2 years, and that is just about what life I get out of the RC lipos even with good maintenience. when they start to puff I drain, then destroy them and bury them. they are like a ticking time bomb if left sitting around.

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Dumas Walker on Tue Feb 13 14:33:23 2018
    By: Dumas Walker to KK4QBN on Mon Feb 12 2018 06:30 pm

No, it is not good to use a device while it is charging, even though

I had always thought that, which is why I thought it was so odd that an iphone would power on when I plugged it in. :)

You can use a laptop while it's plugged in, so I never gave a second thought to using my phone while it's plugged in.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to KK4QBN on Tue Feb 13 14:34:32 2018
    By: KK4QBN to Dumas Walker on Tue Feb 13 2018 10:23 am

Yeah, that seems kind of stupid to me, but I've also heard "rumors" that apple pushes updates onto an iphone right before the release of a new one that will slow it down, If thats true i'm sure its hardware updates, etc.

I had heard Apple's phone updates were slowing down older iPhones to preserve their battery life since the energy storage of batteries tends to degrade over time.

Nightfox

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to KK4QBN on Wed Feb 14 00:08:00 2018
    2 years, and that is just about what life I get out of the RC lipos even with >good maintenience. when they start to puff I drain, then destroy them and bury >them. they are like a ticking time bomb if left sitting around.

What method do you use to destroy them? Do you wrap them in anything
    before burying them?

Thanks!

---
    ■ SLMR 2.1a ■ ╚╩╩☻╩╩╝ Hey Rocky, watch me pull a tagline outta my hat
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to NIGHTFOX on Wed Feb 14 00:09:00 2018
    You can use a laptop while it's plugged in, so I never gave a second thought to
    using my phone while it's plugged in.

That is true. I rarely use mine when it is not plugged in.

---
    ■ SLMR 2.1a ■ Spelling is a sober man's game
  • From Jagossel@VERT/MTLGEEK to KK4QBN on Wed Feb 14 02:14:48 2018
    By: KK4QBN to Dumas Walker on Tue Feb 13 2018 10:23:50

Yeah, that seems kind of stupid to me, but I've also heard "rumors" that app pushes updates onto an iphone right before the release of a new one that wil slow it down, If thats true i'm sure its hardware updates, etc. I don't thin they would really do it on purpose to try to get you to upgrade, but it seem now that manufacturers are in a way "suggesting" that you get a new phone ev 2 years, and that is just about what life I get out of the RC lipos even wit good maintenience. when they start to puff I drain, then destroy them and bu them. they are like a ticking time bomb if left sitting around.

I have actually had a phone for over two years before I even upgraded. I had an LG phone (I forget the actual model name) and it had a battery life that would last through the day, and needed charging every night. When I went in to do an upgrade, the person at the cell phone store was surprised to see someone that had a phone that was at least two years old. I got the LG XPower and I had an amazing battery life to where I can have it charge every other night.

Now, I have a LG XCharge phone to where I can charge it just about longer than every other night.

Yea, big fan of LG phones. I have only one bad LG phone, rest were really good. :)

-jag
    Code it, Script it, Automate it!
    ... You too can BBS on a phone, just need QEMU, FreeDOS, and MTCP.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ MtlGeek - Geeks in Montreal - http://mtlgeek.com/ -
  • From Jagossel@VERT/MTLGEEK to Nightfox on Wed Feb 14 02:16:54 2018
    By: Nightfox to Dumas Walker on Tue Feb 13 2018 09:33:23

You can use a laptop while it's plugged in, so I never gave a second thought using my phone while it's plugged in.

I had a boss one time that would pull the battery out of his laptop when it was plugged in. He claimed that I can squeeze out a longer battery life out of it.

Not sure if what he believed was true or not... Doesn't batters still discharge a tiny bit when they are not in use?

-jag
    Code it, Script It, Automate it!
    ... Whoops, wrong line.

---
  • From KK4QBN@VERT/KK4QBN to Nightfox on Wed Feb 14 13:44:40 2018
    By: Nightfox to KK4QBN on Tue Feb 13 2018 09:34:32

I had heard Apple's phone updates were slowing down older iPhones to preserve their battery life since the energy storage of batteries tends to degrade over time.
    I
    that would be the only feasible reason I could see why they would want to do that.

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
  • From KK4QBN@VERT/KK4QBN to Dumas Walker on Wed Feb 14 13:52:24 2018
    By: Dumas Walker to KK4QBN on Tue Feb 13 2018 19:08:00

What method do you use to destroy them? Do you wrap them in anything before burying them?

that topic has always been a highly debated one in the RC field, and possibly may be here, but I usually hook a slow draining device to one to drain the battery of its remaining power, then I short the battery leads then to be safe put it in a container of salt water for a while, then wrap it in paper and bury it.

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
  • From KK4QBN@VERT/KK4QBN to Jagossel on Wed Feb 14 13:55:18 2018
    By: Jagossel to KK4QBN on Tue Feb 13 2018 21:14:48

Yea, big fan of LG phones. I have only one bad LG phone, rest were really good. :)

LG phones are the only ones that I have had last for the long haul, they have always been taken out by battery issues in the end though :)

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
  • From KK4QBN@VERT/KK4QBN to Jagossel on Wed Feb 14 13:57:56 2018
    Re: Laptop Battery
    By: Jagossel to Nightfox on Tue Feb 13 2018 21:16:54

You can use a laptop while it's plugged in, so I never gave a second
    thought using my phone while it's plugged in.

I believe, once a battery in a laptop is fully charged the power is completley routed away from the battery and it pulls the current directly from the power source. I don't know this for sure, but it's the only way I could visualize it working.

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Jagossel on Wed Feb 14 14:34:34 2018
    Re: Laptop Battery
    By: Jagossel to Nightfox on Tue Feb 13 2018 09:16 pm

I had a boss one time that would pull the battery out of his laptop when it was plugged in. He claimed that I can squeeze out a longer battery life out of it.

Not sure if what he believed was true or not... Doesn't batters still discharge a tiny bit when they are not in use?

They do.. I'm not sure what the reasoning was for taking the battery out when plugged in. I tend to leave the battery in to help ensure it stays charged when it's plugged in. Although I have heard some people say the battery will end up not being able to hold a charge after not being used a while, so it's good to use your laptop with the battery at least every so often. Maybe it's just because all batteries eventually lose their capactity to hold a charge?

Nightfox

---
  • From ROB MCCART@VERT/CAPCITY2/CAPCITY to NIGHTFOX on Thu Feb 15 21:39:00 2018
    I had a boss one time that would pull the battery out of his laptop when it was plugged in. He claimed that I can squeeze out a longer battery life
    out of it.

They do.. I'm not sure what the reasoning was for taking the battery out whe
    >plugged in. I tend to leave the battery in to help ensure it stays charged
    >when it's plugged in. Although I have heard some people say the battery will
    >end up not being able to hold a charge after not being used a while, so it's
    >good to use your laptop with the battery at least every so often. Maybe it's
    >just because all batteries eventually lose their capactity to hold a charge?

I have always pulled the batteries from Laptops when not in use or when
    plugged in. Two of my current laptops have used the same battery for
    about 4.5 years and about 7 years, both almost as good as new. I rarely
    need to use a laptop on battery though, in fact I make a point of fully discharging and then recharging the battery every 3 or 4 months to 'cycle'
    it because it's also not recommended to leave them sit unused longer than
    that. But my sister used to leave hers plugged in all the time and was
    lucky to get 1.5 to 2 years out of one.
    I have to assume not using the battery accounts for my long battery life.

---
    ■ SLMR Rob ■ No, I can't eat with the family. My computer gets lonely.
    ■ PDQWK 2.52 #17
    ---
    ■ BgNet 1.0ß12 ≈ moe's * 1-502-875-8938 * moetiki.ddns.net:27
  • From ispyhumanfly@VERT/EUPHORIA to KK4QBN on Thu Feb 22 01:31:08 2018
    By: KK4QBN to DUMAS WALKER on Mon Feb 12 2018 09:16 am

to use while charging. I thought this was just regular knowlege amongst most people.

It is :)

_dan

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ euphoria
  • From ispyhumanfly@VERT/EUPHORIA to Nightfox on Thu Feb 22 01:35:24 2018
    By: Nightfox to KK4QBN on Mon Feb 12 2018 09:37 am

Charging it and using it for an alarm are one thing. Keeping it plugged in while talking on the phone for hours or surfing the web, things like that, can cause the battery to dwindle over time, and much faster than it would if say; you charged it full then unplugged it and used it.

My experience is the "lifespan" of the device is kept in tact so long as you run it dead, charge it full (while powered off), then unplug it and resume use.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ euphoria
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to ispyhumanfly on Wed Feb 21 22:11:30 2018
    By: ispyhumanfly to Nightfox on Wed Feb 21 2018 08:35 pm

Charging it and using it for an alarm are one thing. Keeping it plugged in while talking on the phone for hours or surfing the web, things like that, can cause the battery to dwindle over time, and much faster than it would if say; you charged it full then unplugged it and used it.

You can use a laptop for a long time while plugged in. Is a smart phone that much different?

Nightfox

---
  • From ispyhumanfly@VERT/EUPHORIA to Nightfox on Fri Feb 23 08:11:32 2018
    By: Nightfox to ispyhumanfly on Wed Feb 21 2018 05:11 pm

much faster than it would if say; you charged it full then unplugged
    it and used it.

You can use a laptop for a long time while plugged in. Is a smart phone that much different?

I mean yes and no? Even laptops do better by disconnecting them when fully charged. Phones don't have the prowess of a laptop and are typically on 24/7 with most people. I dunno...

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ euphoria
  • From Digital Man@VERT to ispyhumanfly on Fri Feb 23 01:20:27 2018
    By: ispyhumanfly to Nightfox on Fri Feb 23 2018 03:11 am

it and used it.

I mean yes and no? Even laptops do better by disconnecting them when fully charged. Phones don't have the prowess of a laptop and are typically on 24/7 with most people. I dunno...

Newer laptops (e.g. from Dell, HP, Lenovo) actually have intelligent battery management and purposely disconnect and discharge the battery periodically to maintain a long battery life.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #33:
    The Synchronet web user interface was contributed by Robert Couture, Runemaster.
    Norco, CA WX: 47.5°F, 74.0% humidity, 0 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Jagossel@VERT/MTLGEEK to Digital Man on Fri Feb 23 12:41:30 2018
    By: Digital Man to ispyhumanfly on Thu Feb 22 2018 20:20:27

Newer laptops (e.g. from Dell, HP, Lenovo) actually have intelligent battery management and purposely disconnect and discharge the battery periodically t maintain a long battery life.

I've noticed my wife's Lenovo laptop doing exactly that: it had times to where the battery charge was at around 95 to 98% and the laptop will not charge it.

-jag

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Digital Man on Fri Feb 23 16:25:55 2018
    By: Digital Man to ispyhumanfly on Thu Feb 22 2018 08:20 pm

Newer laptops (e.g. from Dell, HP, Lenovo) actually have intelligent battery management and purposely disconnect and discharge the battery periodically to maintain a long battery life.

I always used to hear that NiCad batteries were susceptable to issues such as battery "memory" (you had to discharge them fully in order for them to maintain their charge capacity), but I thought I had heard that newer rechargeable battery types (such as nickel-metal hydride and lithium-ion) didn't have such issues.

Nightfox

---
  • From ispyhumanfly@VERT/EUPHORIA to Digital Man on Fri Feb 23 22:43:42 2018
    By: Digital Man to ispyhumanfly on Thu Feb 22 2018 08:20 pm

Good, that makes sense that they'd figure that part out. I believe my newer Macbook Pro Retina does the same... thanks for the insight man. :)

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ euphoria
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to ispyhumanfly on Sat Feb 24 16:43:19 2018
    By: ispyhumanfly to Nightfox on Fri Feb 23 2018 03:11 am

it and used it.

i had an older dual core laptop that i always had plugged in because i used
    it as a desktop macine and the battery went to shit.

my new laptops disconnect. i thought THOSE batteries were going bad.
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Jagossel on Sat Feb 24 16:44:07 2018
    By: Jagossel to Digital Man on Fri Feb 23 2018 07:41 am

By: Digital Man to ispyhumanfly on Thu Feb 22 2018 20:20:27

Newer laptops (e.g. from Dell, HP, Lenovo) actually have intelligent battery management and purposely disconnect and discharge the battery periodically t maintain a long battery life.

I've noticed my wife's Lenovo laptop doing exactly that: it had times to where the battery charge was at around 95 to 98% and the laptop will not charge it.

that makes a guy like me think the battery is bad or the charger is, so i end up buying a new one on amazon!
    ---
  • From ispyhumanfly@VERT/EUPHORIA to MRO on Sat Feb 24 23:46:08 2018
    By: MRO to ispyhumanfly on Sat Feb 24 2018 11:43 am

i had an older dual core laptop that i always had plugged in because i used it as a desktop macine and the battery went to shit.

I once had a very similar situation myself.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ euphoria
  • From Jagossel@VERT/MTLGEEK to MRO on Sun Feb 25 02:49:13 2018
    By: MRO to Jagossel on Sat Feb 24 2018 11:44:07

that makes a guy like me think the battery is bad or the charger is, so i en up buying a new one on amazon!

I had the same reaction: what's wrong with the battery? The problem is that
    the battery is inside the laptop (why?!), so I can't replace if I need to.

-jag
    Code it, Script it, Automate it!

---
  • From Denn@VERT/OUTWEST to Jagossel on Sun Feb 25 00:45:50 2018
    By: Jagossel to MRO on Sat Feb 24 2018 09:49 pm

I've noticed my wife's Lenovo laptop doing exactly that: it had
    times to where the battery charge was at around 95 to 98% and the
    laptop will not charge it.

that makes a guy like me think the battery is bad or the charger is,
    so i en up buying a new one on amazon!

I had the same reaction: what's wrong with the battery? The problem is that the battery is inside the laptop (why?!), so I can't replace if I need to.

My HP Laptop has a battery you can remove and replace from the bottom in a minute.

"... You're so vain / I bet you think this tagline's about you"

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ the Outwest BBS - outwestbbs.com Telnet - outwestbbs.com:23
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Jagossel on Mon Feb 26 01:09:15 2018
    By: Jagossel to MRO on Sat Feb 24 2018 09:49 pm

that makes a guy like me think the battery is bad or the charger is, so i en up buying a new one on amazon!

I had the same reaction: what's wrong with the battery? The problem is that the battery is inside the laptop (why?!), so I can't replace if I need to.

yep, just looked up my asus x540 laptop. you need to take the whole damn thing apart to replace the battery. the guy in the video even had problems breaking it apart with that plastic tool.
    not worth it
    ---