• VirtualBox WinXP Setup for Internet?

From yaboi@VERT/DIGDIST to All on Tue Jan 21 21:55:18 2020
    So, I've recently got Windows XP running smoothly under VirtualBox. Smoothly except, that is, for internet. I can't get it to work at all. I've tried both NAT and eth01, but neither work. I've heard you need to install drivers for a type of ethernet cable, but the only page I've ever found links to is gone. If anyone can help me with this, I would really appreciate it.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to yaboi on Wed Jan 22 03:04:48 2020
    Re: VirtualBox WinXP Setup for Internet?
    By: yaboi to All on Tue Jan 21 2020 04:55 pm

So, I've recently got Windows XP running smoothly under VirtualBox. Smoothly except, that is, for internet. I can't get it to work at all. I've tried both NAT and eth01, but neither work. I've heard you need to install drivers for a type of ethernet cable, but the only page I've ever found links to is gone. If anyone can help me with this, I would really appreciate it.

For the network adapter with VirtualBox, in the VM settings, I usually select Bridged Adapter and choose which network interface to use on the host machine, and I haven't had a problem with it.

Nightfox

---
  • From yaboi@VERT/DIGDIST to Nightfox on Wed Jan 22 17:33:37 2020
    By: Nightfox to yaboi on Tue Jan 21 2020 10:04 pm

Finally figured it out. You told me right, but I had to look up to use PCNetIII. Thanks for your help, I've got it working now.

---
  • From Zombie Mambo@VERT/ZZONE to yaboi on Sat Jan 25 21:09:20 2020
    Re: Figured it out!
    By: yaboi to Nightfox on Wed Jan 22 2020 12:33 pm

By: Nightfox to yaboi on Tue Jan 21 2020 10:04 pm

Finally figured it out. You told me right, but I had to look up to use PCNetIII. Thanks for your help, I've got it working now.

Glad you figured it out. Bridge works for me too. I have to say XPMode set up as a virtual machine is a Godsend... We have crap at work that is only supported on XP and our IT DEPT will not allow a server or VM to be created.

I've had to install at home, run the legacy SDK's to update code, and then bring deployable code to work in order to continue supporting old ass legacy crap my company won't upgrade.

The funny thing is you'd think they clear the request so long as the machine resides behind our firewall in a DMZ or something...

uuuuuugh

Everytime i use it I get warm feelings. I love XP.

Thanks,
    Zombie Mambo

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ +-=[ The Zombie Zone BBS * hcow.dynu.net:61912 ]=-+