• BBS client of choice for Linux

From Papa@VERT/UNDRMINE to All on Mon Aug 17 22:22:26 2020
    NetRunner? SyncTERM? Something else? What is your preferred software for connecting to BBSs, and why? I will usually be connecting from a 64-bin Linux system.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Undermine - bbs.undermine.ca:423
  • From Underminer@VERT/UNDRMINE to Papa on Tue Aug 18 01:53:45 2020
    Re: BBS client of choice for Linux
    By: Papa to All on Mon Aug 17 2020 06:22 pm

NetRunner? SyncTERM? Something else? What is your preferred software for connecting to BBSs, and why? I will usually be connecting from a 64-bin Li

Depends a little on what the experience you're looking for is. Syncterm is by far the most feature rich of the modern terminals, and you can compile from source, but if you hit fullscreen or fullscreen window with a monitor aspect ratio that's not 4:3, it will stretch things out and can look off.

NetRunner will force a 4:3 ratio with letterbox, and you can select what kind of filtering you want (I personally prefer either upscaled cp437 at nearest pixel, or non-upscaled with ansiotropic).

So if I'm running a non full-screen window or need feature support, syncterm is my choice, but if I want an accurate fullscreen experience then I use netrunner. Both are solid.
    ---
    Underminer
    The Undermine BBS - bbs.undermine.ca:423
    Fidonet: 1:342/17
    ---
  • From Underminer@VERT/UNDRMINE to Papa on Tue Aug 18 01:56:04 2020

NetRunner? SyncTERM? Something else? What is your preferred software for connecting to BBSs, and why? I will usually be connecting from a 64-bin Li

Depends a little on what the experience you're looking for is. Syncterm is by far the most feature rich of the modern terminals, and you can compile from source, but if you hit fullscreen or fullscreen window with a monitor aspect ratio that's not 4:3, it will stretch things out and can look off.

NetRunner will force a 4:3 ratio with letterbox, and you can select what kind of filtering you want (I personally prefer either upscaled cp437 at nearest pixel, or non-upscaled with ansiotropic).

So if I'm running a non full-screen window or need feature support, syncterm is my choice, but if I want an accurate fullscreen experience then I use netrunner. Both are solid.

MagiTerm also gets an honourable mention. It works well and has source available, and if NetRunner wasn't available would be my second choice behind SyncTerm.
    ---
    Underminer
    ---
  • From Underminer@VERT/UNDRMINE to Papa on Tue Aug 18 01:58:58 2020

Also an honourable mention for MagiTerm, which you may also want to check out. It does windowed double size really well and works easily, and source is available. It's not as feature rich as SyncTerm and it doesn't give the fullscreen experience of NetRunner though.

---
    Underminer
    ---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Papa on Tue Aug 18 19:35:00 2020
    On 08-17-20 18:22, Papa wrote to All <=-

@VIA: VERT/UNDRMINE
    NetRunner? SyncTERM? Something else? What is your preferred software
    for connecting to BBSs, and why? I will usually be connecting from a 64-bin Linux system.

I like SyncTerm. Works on both Windows and Linux, and I just like the way it works from a user POV. One big thing for me is if a file I'm downloading already exists, SyncTerm asks me what I want to do (abort, rename the new download or zmodem resume). This has saved me so many times when absently mindedly downloading a QWK packet, before finishing the previous one. In contrast to the standard behaviour of Zmodem downloads in most terminal software, which is to attempt to append to the existing file without asking. That trashes QWK packets.

... I've had enough of gardening - I'm just about ready to throw in the trowel --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
    ■ Synchronet ■ Freeway BBS, Bendigo Australia. freeway.apana.org.au
  • From Weatherman@VERT/TLCBBS to Papa on Tue Aug 18 04:52:00 2020
    Papa wrote to All <=-

@VIA: VERT/UNDRMINE
    @MSGID: <5F3B1F42.2470.dove-hwswhelp@bbs.undermine.ca>
    @TZ: c1a4
    for connecting to BBSs, and why? I will usually be connecting from a 64-bin Linux system.

I've been using SyncTerm and liking it. I just installed it on all my Linux boxes yesterday, as a matter of fact. I am not a fan of the interface, but feature for feature it kicks ass. It's got probably the best ANSI emulation I've seen in a long time, it supports ANSI/ASCII and (believe it or don't) PETSCII in 40 and 80 column modes! File transfers via X-Modem, Y-Modem and Z-Modem pretty much covers any system you'll connect to.

I am not a fan of the interface. It's a single pop-up menu with no submenus, but oddly enough it covers just about anything you need it to - particularly once you configure your connection. I just think it gives me an impression of being a stop-gap solution rather than a full-featured terminal program, but I am definitely wrong. It'll do anything and everything you need. Do yourself a favor and google "install syncterm linux" and one of those results will provide you with a very nice script for installing SyncTerm on a Linux system. You won't be sorry.

Hope this helps!

... Internal Error: The system has been taken over by sheep at line 19960
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.49
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Lost Chord BBS - Cheyenne, WY
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Papa on Tue Aug 18 06:32:49 2020

NetRunner? SyncTERM? Something else? What is your preferred software for connecting to BBSs, and why? I will usually be connecting from a 64-bin Linu system.

Unpopular option here: I run a patched version of ckermit in a remote linux shell. It supports telnet and ssh and file transfers.

--
    gopher://gopher.operationalsecurity.es

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to Papa on Tue Aug 18 14:00:25 2020
    By: Papa to All on Mon Aug 17 2020 18:22:26

Papa> NetRunner? SyncTERM? Something else? What is your preferred software
    Papa> for connecting to BBSs, and why? I will usually be connecting from
    Papa> a 64-bin Linux system.

we use kubuntu over here... that means we're using the KDE interface... we simply open a konsole and telnet or ssh to the BBS as desired... zmodem works for uploads and downloads... ANSI is processed... some characters might
    not display as desired due to code page differences but so far, i've not seen problems that are really bad... plus, if the BBS supports it, some UTF-8 is supported which is nice as we move away from the old-school CP437
    thinking...

)\/(ark

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Underminer on Tue Aug 18 21:07:00 2020
    By: Underminer to Papa on Mon Aug 17 2020 09:56 pm

MagiTerm also gets an honourable mention. It works well and has source available, and if NetRunner wasn't available would be my second choice behind SyncTerm.

i prefer mtelnet
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to PAPA on Tue Aug 18 18:45:00 2020
    NetRunner? SyncTERM? Something else? What is your preferred software for connec
    ing to BBSs, and why? I will usually be connecting from a 64-bin Linux system.

I use Syncterm and Magiterm most often.

* SLMR 2.1a * Do ministers do more than lay people?

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From HusTler@VERT/HAVENS to Papa on Wed Aug 19 12:46:10 2020

NetRunner? SyncTERM? Something else? What is your preferred software for connecting to BBSs, and why? I will usually be connecting from a 64-bin Linux system.

Netrunner, Syncterm, Putty and Qodem are the four I use. Why? Because I can.

HusTler
    havens.synchro.net:23

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Havens BBS havens.synchro.net
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to HusTler on Thu Aug 20 02:28:38 2020
    By: HusTler to Papa on Wed Aug 19 2020 08:46 am

for connecting to BBSs, and why? I will usually be connecting from a
    64-bin Linux system.

Netrunner, Syncterm, Putty and Qodem are the four I use. Why? Because I can.

well friendo, you just missed the best one. mtelnet
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Fang-Castro@VERT/FTPBBS to MRO on Thu Aug 20 03:22:37 2020
    By: MRO to HusTler on Wed Aug 19 2020 10:28 pm

for connecting to BBSs, and why? I will usually be connecting from a
    64-bin Linux system.

well friendo, you just missed the best one. mtelnet

Telemate!

[fLEE.tHE.pLANET.bBS][916.pRI.vATE]