• Synology DS1010+

From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to All on Sun Aug 29 09:56:00 2021
    I went to my local electronics thrift shop looking for a new stereo
    receiver, and on a whim picked up a Synology DS1010+ for $110.

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THESE THINGS?

I thought I was getting a RAID enclosure. It's that, plus it's got automatic backup to cloud, Windows and VMWare backup agents a web/proxy server,
    Torrent client, docker containers, DNS, directory and RADIUS servers, an SSO server and a VPN server - and more!

I had 4 2TB drives laying around from my retired desktop PC and a couple of external drives, put them into it and created one of Synology's SHR RAID volumes.

What's exciting is being able to use NFS volumes on Synology with Proxmox. I was trying to share a volume for backups via SMB, which is limited, and DD- WRT's NFS implementation is reportedly slow.

Today's project is to figure out how to trunk 2 1gb ethernet ports to my DD- WRT.

Later this week, I'm replacing my powerline ethernet network with Cat6 from
    my office to the downstairs cable modem. It's going to be a *good* week.

... Are there sections? Consider transitions
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Aug 30 05:41:29 2021
    Re: Synology DS1010+
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to All on Sun Aug 29 2021 09:56 am

I went to my local electronics thrift shop looking for a new stereo receiver, and on a whim picked up a Synology DS1010+ for $110.

I thought the existence of these things was common knowledge XD

That said, I don't like it much when they try to shoehorn 5000 functions within an appliance that is supposed to be a file server. I get it that they include file-related functions (for example, Torrent software in a NAS is nice for building a seedbox) but when they include network related features(DNS servers, web proxies) I start to scratch my head, because those things belong to a proper server or a router at best.

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Arelor on Mon Aug 30 06:57:56 2021
    By: Arelor to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Aug 30 2021 05:41 am

By: poindexter FORTRAN to All on Sun Aug 29 2021 09:56 am

I went to my local electronics thrift shop looking for a new stereo receiver, and on a whim picked up a Synology DS1010+ for $110.

I thought the existence of these things was common knowledge XD

That said, I don't like it much when they try to shoehorn 5000 functions within an appliance that is supposed to be a file server. I get it that they include file-related functions (for example, Torrent software in a NAS is nice for building a seedbox) but when they include network related features(DNS servers, web proxies) I start to scratch my head, because those things belong to a proper server or a router at best.

yeah, i dont want all those things in a nas.
    i'll stick with my drobo clones.
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Arelor on Mon Aug 30 07:49:00 2021
    Arelor wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

That said, I don't like it much when they try to shoehorn 5000
    functions within an appliance that is supposed to be a file server.

Yeah, but I was trying to shoehorn all of that functionality into my router, which definitely wasn't meant for it. :)

For a homelab, this looks like a good solution - RAID in a compact chassis, hot-swap drive bays, kernel-mode Linux-based NFS (my router implements NFS with a user-mode app, which is slowww...)

This week I'm going to play with trunking to my router to agregate the 2 LAN ports on my NAS and integrate NFS into my Proxmox config.

... Do something sudden, destructive and unpredictable
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to poindexter FORTRAN on Tue Aug 31 17:10:09 2021
    Re: Re: Synology DS1010+
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Arelor on Mon Aug 30 2021 07:49 am

That said, I don't like it much when they try to shoehorn 5000 functions within an appliance that is supposed to be a file server.

Yeah, but I was trying to shoehorn all of that functionality into my router, which definitely wasn't meant for it. :)

For a homelab, this looks like a good solution - RAID in a compact chassis, hot-swap drive bays, kernel-mode Linux-based NFS (my router implements NFS with a user-mode app, which is slowww...)

This week I'm going to play with trunking to my router to agregate the 2 LAN ports on my NAS and integrate NFS into my Proxmox config.

... Do something sudden, destructive and unpredictable

Definitively, I think it is much better if you try to shoehorn LAN infrastructure into your NAS than trying to shoehorn NFS into your router.

However, if you have a proper Proxmox system I'd rather let it handle all the proxying and dhcping and dnsing with containers or WMs if you really don't want to let your router do it.

Using the NAS as an storage server for a Proxmox systems sounds like an interesting idea. Add more NAS and more Proxmox boxes and you may actually build a virtualization cluster.

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Arelor on Wed Sep 1 08:14:00 2021

However, if you have a proper Proxmox system I'd rather let it handle
    all the proxying and dhcping and dnsing with containers or WMs if you really don't want to let your router do it.

Using the NAS as an storage server for a Proxmox systems sounds like an interesting idea. Add more NAS and more Proxmox boxes and you may
    actually build a virtualization cluster.

Ultimately, that's my plan - once I get rid of the flakey powerline adapters I'm running on now, and have gig ethernet running to my home lab. Tomorrow
    at 9:30, I can't wait...

... Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Arelor on Thu Sep 2 11:56:04 2021
    Re: Re: Synology DS1010+
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Arelor on Wed Sep 01 2021 08:14 am

Ultimately, that's my plan - once I get rid of the flakey powerline adapters I'm running on now, and have gig ethernet running to my home lab. Tomorrow at 9:30, I can't wait...

Responding to myself again.

$300 to have the cabling guys run 2 CAT6 cables from a keystone jack in my office down to the cable modem. They cleaned up things, routed the cable through the wall and put the cable TV cable and 2 RJ45s into the wall.

My office internet has gone from 40 mbps up to 475 - and now since I'm running hard-wired, I can look into moving the BBS onto my Proxmox server. The BBS is currently running in my storage space on another powerline adapter.

---
  • From Tracker1@VERT/TRN to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Sep 3 18:32:22 2021
    On 8/29/2021 9:56 AM, poindexter FORTRAN wrote:
    I went to my local electronics thrift shop looking for a new stereo
    receiver, and on a whim picked up a Synology DS1010+ for $110.

I have an old DS409+ that I've had for well over a decade. Bought a
    DS1621+ this past December, drooped an nvme cache drive and upped the
    ram to 32gb and it runs really well. Runs everything that I would need,
    though a k3s or docker swarm target would be nice. Plex server crashes,
    but I don't really use it, my fiance does for her fire stick.

I have two ethernet channels bonded (1gb), if I upgrade to a 2.5 or 10g switch, will do all 4, right now it's maxing out at the network speed.
    I've actually been considering bumping to a 2.5g switch as copying
    larger files (video) just feels slow...
    --
    Michael J. Ryan - tracker1@roughneckbbs.com
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Tracker1 on Sat Sep 4 08:59:00 2021
    Tracker1 wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

I have an old DS409+ that I've had for well over a decade. Bought a DS1621+ this past December, drooped an nvme cache drive and upped the
    ram to 32gb and it runs really well. Runs everything that I would need, though a k3s or docker swarm target would be nice. Plex server
    crashes, but I don't really use it, my fiance does for her fire stick.

Yeah, the DS1010+ sounds like it's a generation or two behind, but AI was
    able to upgrade it to DSM6, which gets a more featureful shell environment, and it's got a ton of things to play with.

I've bonded 2 gig Ethernets using their basic link aggregation, am going to play with 802.3ad some time in the future.

As a docker host, I'm not sure how well it'll do (it's a celeron with 3 GB
    of RAM) but I have a Proxmox guest for Docker (and proxmox supports LXC natively)

With all of my old 2TB drives in it, I've got 7.2 GB of SHR raid to play
    with.

All in all, it's a great toy to expand my homelab and keep me learning.

... It's cyber hurricane season, and everywhere is Florida
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52