• Router Question DI-704P

From MIKE POWELL@VERT/CAPCITY2/CAPCITY to ALL on Sat Feb 20 14:32:00 2010
    I have a D-Link DI-704P. I have always been happy with it as a router,
    until I set up SBBS with a web server.

Now, I would like to be able to deny access to my LAN from a certain range
    of IP adresses that have been "bombing" Port 80 ever since I opened it up.
    If not access to the whole LAN, I would at least like to deny access to the Virtual HTTP server for the range in question.

This router has a "Firewall" feature that supposedly allows you to block a range of IP addresses. The SOURCE interface includes IP Start and IP End fields, which would make me think that you can specify an IP address, or a range of addresses. I want to set it up like this:

Deny
    SOURCE - WAN (I also tried '*')
    IP Start & End - the range I am having trouble with
    DESTINATION - LAN*
    TCP Port 80-80

The thing is, if you actually fill in ANY value in the SOURCE IP Start or
    IP End, the interface returns an "IP Address Invalid" message, and then
    comes back with a Wildcard in the IP range (NOT what I want).

I am starting to get the impression that the SOURCE IP Start & End fields
    are useless and are actually not to be used. The manual is worthless in
    this regard... all other features have multiple pages dedicated, but the Firewall section just mentions there is one and goes on to the next section
    (I think it has all of one page).

Does anyone else out there use this router, and do you know how to accomplish what I am trying to do?

Thanks!

##MMR 2.61ß.
    --- BgNet 1.0ß12 - Capitol City Online * KY/US * 502/875-8938 * cco.ath.cx
  • From Rassilon@VERT/TORCHWD to MIKE POWELL on Fri Feb 26 02:46:49 2010
    Re: Router Question DI-704P
    By: MIKE POWELL to ALL on Sat Feb 20 2010 09:32 am

I have a D-Link DI-704P. I have always been happy with it as a router, until I set up SBBS with a web server.

Now, I would like to be able to deny access to my LAN from a certain range of IP adresses that have been "bombing" Port 80 ever since I opened it up. If not access to the whole LAN, I would at least like to deny access to the Virtual HTTP server for the range in question.

This router has a "Firewall" feature that supposedly allows you to block a range of IP addresses. The SOURCE interface includes IP Start and IP End fields, which would make me think that you can specify an IP address, or a range of addresses. I want to set it up like this:

Deny
    SOURCE - WAN (I also tried '*')
    IP Start & End - the range I am having trouble with
    DESTINATION - LAN*
    TCP Port 80-80

The thing is, if you actually fill in ANY value in the SOURCE IP Start or
    IP End, the interface returns an "IP Address Invalid" message, and then comes back with a Wildcard in the IP range (NOT what I want).

I am starting to get the impression that the SOURCE IP Start & End fields are useless and are actually not to be used. The manual is worthless in this regard... all other features have multiple pages dedicated, but the Firewall section just mentions there is one and goes on to the next section (I think it has all of one page).

Does anyone else out there use this router, and do you know how to accomplis what I am trying to do?

Thanks!

##MMR 2.61ß.

Wish I could help. I'm trying to figure out how to do the same thing.

-Rassilon...

-Humm Baby!

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Torchwood Three BBS - torchwood-3.dyndns.org