• Telnet clients

From Crazy Giant@VERT/GIANT109 to All on Sun Aug 1 00:59:48 2010
    Does everybody use SyncTERM or ZOC? Are there other decent options? I like SyncTERM as far as BBSes go, because it desplays the ascii correctly, and I've tried ZOC, but I find for instance I have trouble connecting to Talkers with it (yes there are some still around) I'd love to find a Telnet client that is as simple as SyncTERM but has local echo, because I find it somewhat irritating not seeing what I type on some Telnet servers, PuTTY apparently has local echo and doesn't send the text until you hit enter, but it doesn't display Ascii right. hmm, I guess I am looking for some suggestions, or am I stuck with SyncTERM or ZOC.

Crazy Giant
    +o Crazy Giant's Place
    bbs.crazygiant.net

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Crazy Giant's Place - crazygiant.endofinternet.net
  • From Kevinl@VERT to Crazy Giant on Sun Aug 1 16:23:00 2010
    Crazy Giant wrote to All <=-

Does everybody use SyncTERM or ZOC? Are there other decent options? I
    like SyncTERM as far as BBSes go, because it desplays the ascii
    correctly, and I've tried ZOC, but I find for instance I have trouble connecting to Talkers with it (yes there are some still around) I'd
    love to find a Telnet client that is as simple as SyncTERM but has
    local echo, because I find it somewhat irritating not seeing what I
    type on some Telnet servers, PuTTY apparently has local echo and
    doesn't send the text until you hit enter, but it doesn't display Ascii right. hmm, I guess I am looking for some suggestions, or am I stuck
    with SyncTERM or ZOC.

Crazy Giant
    +o Crazy Giant's Place
    bbs.crazygiant.net

---
    = Synchronet = Crazy Giant's Place - crazygiant.endofinternet.net

Disclaimer: this is a shameless plug as I'm the author. :-)

If you are using Linux or Mac OS X, there is also qodem (ncurses-based
    Qmodem clone): http://qodem.sf.net . It is as faithful to Qmodem 4.6
    / 5.0 as I could make it, but also has lots of features for more
    modern systems (e.g. Unicode, capture to HTML, long filenames, kermit
    support, and many others).

It might take a little bit of tweaking to get working right depending
    on your distro's defaults. I just added a "Getting Started Guide" to
    outline those details.

... MultiMail, the new multi-platform, multi-format offline reader!
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.49
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From thinktank@VERT/INLANDUT to Crazy Giant on Sun Aug 1 16:12:22 2010
    Re: Telnet clients
    By: Crazy Giant to All on Sat Jul 31 2010 08:59 pm

Does everybody use SyncTERM or ZOC? Are there other decent options? I like SyncTERM as far as BBSes go, because it desplays the ascii correctly, and I' tried ZOC, but I find for instance I have trouble connecting to Talkers with (yes there are some still around) I'd love to find a Telnet client that is a simple as SyncTERM but has local echo, because I find it somewhat irritating not seeing what I type on some Telnet servers, PuTTY apparently has local ec and doesn't send the text until you hit enter, but it doesn't display Ascii right. hmm, I guess I am looking for some suggestions, or am I stuck with SyncTERM or ZOC.

There is an alternative. try Bterm by the makers of BBBS.

~ I am on twitter: @thinktank79 on Twitter ~

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Inland Utopia - inlandutopia.etowns.org
  • From thinktank@VERT/INLANDUT to Kevinl on Sun Aug 1 16:14:04 2010
    Re: Re: Telnet clients
    By: Kevinl to Crazy Giant on Sun Aug 01 2010 12:23 pm

If you are using Linux or Mac OS X, there is also qodem (ncurses-based Qmodem clone): http://qodem.sf.net . It is as faithful to Qmodem 4.6
    modern systems (e.g. Unicode, capture to HTML, long filenames, kermit support, and many others).
    Could you make a windows version? I think a program like that would be a winner. Even if you had to make it shareware for like $10 or $20 you might have a winning project.

---
  • From John Guillory@VERT/MAINLINE to Kevinl on Mon Aug 2 12:14:14 2010

Disclaimer: this is a shameless plug as I'm the author. :-)
    If you are using Linux or Mac OS X, there is also qodem (ncurses-based Qmodem clone): http://qodem.sf.net . It is as faithful to Qmodem 4.6
    modern systems (e.g. Unicode, capture to HTML, long filenames, kermit support, and many others).
    Let me know when you switch to windows and take a liking to Telix 3.15

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Roach Guts - roachguts.com
  • From Kevinl@VERT to thinktank on Tue Aug 3 00:38:00 2010
    thinktank wrote to Kevinl <=-

Could you make a windows version? I think a program like that would be
    a winner. Even if you had to make it shareware for like $10 or $20 you might have a winning project.

I hope to have time someday to port it to a native Win32 / Win94 app,
    but it would take a while. It uses a lot of POSIX calls (fork(),
    select(), kill(), wait4(), stat(), statvfs(), ...) that would need to
    be changed.

However, I did get it to work in Cygwin today. You have to use
    PuTTYCyg to get a proper terminal console, and set PuTTYCyg to UTF-8
    encoding, but otherwise qodem seems to run OK. I put a new
    qodem-0.2.2.tar.gz on the main web page if you would like to be my
    guinea pig. :)

• From Digital Man@VERT to Crazy Giant on Tue Aug 3 21:41:32 2010

Does everybody use SyncTERM or ZOC? Are there other decent options? I like SyncTERM as far as BBSes go, because it desplays the ascii correctly, and I've tried ZOC, but I find for instance I have trouble connecting to
    Talkers with it (yes there are some still around) I'd love to find a Telnet client that is as simple as SyncTERM but has local echo, because I find it somewhat irritating not seeing what I type on some Telnet servers, PuTTY apparently has local echo and doesn't send the text until you hit enter,
    but it doesn't display Ascii right. hmm, I guess I am looking for some suggestions, or am I stuck with SyncTERM or ZOC.

Also checkout HyperTerminal PE and mTelnet (for Windows).

digital man

Snapple "Real Fact" #37:
    A snail breathes through it's foot.

---
  • From Mikesla@VERT/PARANOR to Digital Man on Wed Aug 4 02:16:04 2010
    By: Digital Man to Crazy Giant on Tue Aug 03 2010 17:41:32

Does everybody use SyncTERM or ZOC? Are there other decent options? I lik SyncTERM as far as BBSes go, because it desplays the ascii correctly, and I've tried ZOC, but I find for instance I have trouble connecting to Talkers with it (yes there are some still around) I'd love to find a Teln client that is as simple as SyncTERM but has local echo, because I find i somewhat irritating not seeing what I type on some Telnet servers, PuTTY apparently has local echo and doesn't send the text until you hit enter, but it doesn't display Ascii right. hmm, I guess I am looking for some suggestions, or am I stuck with SyncTERM or ZOC.

Also checkout HyperTerminal PE and mTelnet (for Windows).

digital man

Snapple "Real Fact" #37:
    A snail breathes through it's foot.

I may be wrong here, but ZOC does have Local Echo. Check out the settings.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Paranor BBS 1989-1995/2010 (revived). paranorbbs.no-ip.org
  • From Crazy Giant@VERT/GIANT109 to Mikesla on Wed Aug 4 22:20:39 2010
    By: Mikesla to Digital Man on Tue Aug 03 2010 10:16 pm

I may be wrong here, but ZOC does have Local Echo. Check out the settings.
    Oh I know it does, but some of the servers I wanted it for for some reason ZOC has trouble connecting to. It will appear to connect and then just give me a blank screen with a cursor on it.

Crazy Giant
    +o Crazy Giant's Place
    bbs.crazygiant.net

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Crazy Giant's Place - bbs.crazygiant.net
  • From John Guillory@VERT/MAINLINE to Crazy Giant on Thu Aug 5 00:06:01 2010
    By: Crazy Giant to Mikesla on Wed Aug 04 2010 06:20 pm

I may be wrong here, but ZOC does have Local Echo. Check out the setting
    Oh I know it does, but some of the servers I wanted it for for some reason Z has trouble connecting to. It will appear to connect and then just give me a blank screen with a cursor on it.
    I use ZOC frequently and have very little problems with it. If you could give me a site that gives you problems, I could play around with my ZOC and settings and let you know what to use.... I do know there's settings that allow the host to control your Echo, which in cases like you describe should be un-checked, because regardless of the echo status you choose, the host can say "I demand full duplex" (even if it's not really using it) and ZOC will then turn off local echo and force you to use full duplex.

---
  • From Crazy Giant@VERT/GIANT109 to John Guillory on Thu Aug 5 12:31:50 2010
    By: John Guillory to Crazy Giant on Wed Aug 04 2010 08:06 pm

I use ZOC frequently and have very little problems with it. If you could give me a site that gives you problems, I could play around with my ZOC and settings and let you know what to use.... I do know there's settings that al the host to control your Echo, which in cases like you describe should be un-checked, because regardless of the echo status you choose, the host can s "I demand full duplex" (even if it's not really using it) and ZOC will then turn off local echo and force you to use full duplex.

The ones that give me the most trouble are two talkers I've tried to connect to, centralperk.us on port 2323 and uberworld.org on 2020 both of them no matter what options I've been able to select, look like they're connecting and then just show me a blank screen. On SyncTERM it goes straight to the login prompt.

Crazy Giant
    +o Crazy Giant's Place
    bbs.crazygiant.net

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Crazy Giant's Place - bbs.crazygiant.net
  • From John Guillory@VERT/MAINLINE to Crazy Giant on Thu Aug 5 12:28:39 2010
    By: Crazy Giant to John Guillory on Thu Aug 05 2010 08:31 am

The ones that give me the most trouble are two talkers I've tried to connect to, centralperk.us on port 2323 and uberworld.org on 2020 both of them no matter what options I've been able to select, look like they're connecting a then just show me a blank screen. On SyncTERM it goes straight to the login prompt.
    They work fine over here, I did have to turn on Local Echo and only Echo CR
    to get them to work. Also, initially centralperk.us had the blank screen
    problem you mentioned, but when I switched to tty terminal that problem
    went away. It appears that problem is in the Emulation....

---
  • From Ragnarok@VERT/DOCKSUD to Crazy Giant on Thu Aug 5 23:35:11 2010
    El 31/07/10 21:59, Crazy Giant escribi≤:
    Does everybody use SyncTERM or ZOC? Are there other decent options? I like SyncTERM as far as BBSes go, because it desplays the ascii correctly, and I've
    tried ZOC, but I find for instance I have trouble connecting to Talkers with it
    (yes there are some still around) I'd love to find a Telnet client that is as simple as SyncTERM but has local echo, because I find it somewhat irritating not seeing what I type on some Telnet servers, PuTTY apparently has local echo
    and doesn't send the text until you hit enter, but it doesn't display Ascii right. hmm, I guess I am looking for some suggestions, or am I stuck with SyncTERM or ZOC.

Crazy Giant
    +o Crazy Giant's Place
    bbs.crazygiant.net

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Crazy Giant's Place - crazygiant.endofinternet.net
    i use syncterm and qodem
    its have good ansi emulation that work fine for me (almost on gnu/Linux)

--
    Dock Sud BBS
    (quedamos pocos y nos conocemos)
    telnet://bbs.docksud.com.ar
    http://bbs.docksud.com.ar

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Dock Sud BBS TLD 24 HS - http://www.docksud.com.ar - telnet://bbs.docksud.com.ar
  • From Darrick Burch@VERT/SHENKS to Crazy Giant on Sun Aug 8 17:18:00 2010

Does everybody use SyncTERM or ZOC? Are there other decent options? I like SyncTERM as far as BBSes go, because it desplays the ascii correctly, and I' tried ZOC, but I find for instance I have trouble connecting to Talkers with (yes there are some still around) I'd love to find a Telnet client that is a simple as SyncTERM but has local echo, because I find it somewhat irritating not seeing what I type on some Telnet servers, PuTTY apparently has local ec and doesn't send the text until you hit enter, but it doesn't display Ascii right. hmm, I guess I am looking for some suggestions, or am I stuck with SyncTERM or ZOC.

I personally use ZoC, but that was mostly as a personal preference. I much prefer it to HyperTerminal on Windows. It supports tabs, supports IEMSI
    (which comes in handy because I often create randomly generated passwords),
    and it also support SSH (the primary reason I picked it up).

I currently use it in Wine in Linux most of the time and it appears to cooperate pretty well. I think there's also a Mac version, so if ever I decided to move to that platform (unlikely), I guess I have that going for
    me, which is nice.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ SHENK'S EXPRESS, Virginia Beach, VA, shenks.synchro.net
  • From Jas Hud@VERT/DARKSANC to Darrick Burch on Mon Aug 16 19:50:52 2010

Does everybody use SyncTERM or ZOC? Are there other decent options? I like SyncTERM as far as BBSes go, because it desplays the ascii correctly, and I' tried ZOC, but I find for instance I have trouble connecting to Talkers with (yes there are some still around) I'd love to find a Telnet client that is a simple as SyncTERM but has local echo,

i prefer mtelnet on windows, syncterm on linux.

if you're running a bbs i suggest you setup flashterm or ftelnet , flash
    telnet applets you can put on your web.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Dark Sanctuary darksanctuary.servebbs.com
  • From Jcecmp@VERT/THEWASTE to All on Sat Aug 21 15:25:00 2010
    so, the list of client programs goes like this: mTelnet, SyncTERM, ZOC, qodem, Mtel, EasyPeasy, Bterm, Telix Riptel, Neterm. They qualify as telnet clients; are these programs good to bbs with?
    [Jcecmp]

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Wastelands BBS - wastelands-bbs.net
  • From thinktank@VERT/INLANDUT to Jcecmp on Sat Aug 21 19:56:23 2010
    By: Jcecmp to All on Sat Aug 21 2010 11:25 am

so, the list of client programs goes like this: mTelnet, SyncTERM, ZOC, qodem, Mtel, EasyPeasy, Bterm, Telix Riptel, Neterm. They qualify as telnet clients; are these programs good to bbs with?
    SyncTerm is ace, just as much as Mtel.
    But if you want something free to dial up bbs or telnet bterm is pretty good.

If you want to pay money Zoc is good as well.

---
  • From Kevinl@VERT to Jcecmp on Sat Aug 21 22:28:00 2010
    Jcecmp wrote to All <=-

so, the list of client programs goes like this: mTelnet, SyncTERM,
    ZOC, qodem, Mtel, EasyPeasy, Bterm, Telix Riptel, Neterm. They qualify
    as telnet clients; are these programs good to bbs with?
    [Jcecmp]

I can only speak for qodem (I wrote it and use it regularly), but it
    is pretty decent as both a BBS client and a Unix/VMS client (it's
    VT100 is better than most). One weakness however is file transfers
    over unreliable links like bare 3-wire RS232 or old
    non-error-correcting modems (usually 9600 bps or slower). Zmodem is
    fixed in CVS but it's not yet pushed out in a release.

One thing I like is that qodem can capture to HTML format, converting
    CP437 characters along the way to Unicode. This is how I got the
    Qmodem(tm) user's guide into HTML (http://qodem.sf.net/qmodemtd.html).
    On many browsers it looks identical to how it looked in DOS - even the
    white text on black background.

And if you find a bug, I'll do my best to fix it. :)

• From John Guillory@VERT/MAINLINE to Jcecmp on Mon Aug 23 01:03:04 2010

If you really need some more, I can give you LunaTerm for Android phones. I tried it on my BackFlip... Gotta tell ya man, unless you're looking to go insane, TELNET ON A CELL PHONE IS STUPID! Get real, the screen size is way too small! Unless you call a BBS that is optimized for about a 20x10 screen, you don't want to use it! On the other hand, I could probably write a new menu optimized for the teeny tiny screen that'd let me check my e-mail and read messages, etc. and run remote jobs from my phone.... But.... Man.... WEB works better for that! Oh, and the app was written by a chinese guy and has a bunch of chinese BBS's by default.... (or russian don't remember....)

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Jcecmp on Mon Aug 23 17:56:01 2010

so, the list of client programs goes like this: mTelnet, SyncTERM, ZOC, qodem, Mtel, EasyPeasy, Bterm, Telix Riptel, Neterm. They qualify as
    telnet clients; are these programs good to bbs with?

You left out HyperTerminal (Private Edition), and some others (e.g. Microsoft's telnet.exe). I think Mtel and mTelnet are the same thing, no?

Some are better than others to BBS with. It depends on what your needs are as far as teminal emulation, file transfers, screen resolutions, different OSes, etc.

digital man

Snapple "Real Fact" #26:
    The Hawaiian alphabet only has 12 letters.

---
  • From IB JOE@VERT/JOESBBS to Crazy Giant on Wed Aug 25 16:45:45 2010

Syncterm is the best...

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Joe's Computer & BBS - joesbbs.synchro.net
  • From the doctor@VERT/QBBS to IB JOE on Thu Aug 26 17:21:00 2010
    --- IB JOE wrote ---

Syncterm is the best...

---

I've discovered several ansi animation bugs in syncterm.
    ---
    ■ TARDIS BBS - Home of QUARKseven ■ telnet/http bbs.cortex-media.info
  • From Samos@VERT/MDJ to All on Thu Aug 26 17:16:38 2010
    By: the doctor to IB JOE on Thu Aug 26 2010 13:21:00

sync also has a few minor issues
    like commands not working with the capslock on.

but all in syncterm is good

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The BRoKEN BuBBLE (MDJ.ATH.CX)
  • From the doctor@VERT/QBBS to SAMOS on Fri Aug 27 03:38:00 2010
    --- SAMOS wrote ---
    By: the doctor to IB JOE on Thu

sync also has a few minor issues
    like commands not working with the capslock on.

but all in syncterm is good

Yeah, it's my favourite term program. It just doesn't like the ansi screensavers.
    ---
  • From Jcecmp@VERT/THEWASTE to Samos on Thu Aug 26 22:48:00 2010
    By: Samos to All on Thu Aug 26 2010 01:16 pm

I like the ANSI that makes color print in the messages; my terminal supports color. I don't know how to use the caps lock key and the color numbers to make my messages appear with feelings. I win-installed telnet from programs my setup came with. Do I know how to download or upload? maybe

[Jcecmp]

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Wastelands BBS - wastelands-bbs.net
  • From IB JOE@VERT/JOESBBS to the doctor on Fri Aug 27 14:46:59 2010
    By: the doctor to IB JOE on Thu Aug 26 2010 01:21 pm

the author is more than happy to fix any of his software... tell him what U have found with synterm and he'll look into it.

I have been using it for years and never found an issue...

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Joe's Computer & BBS - joesbbs.synchro.net
  • From Kevinl@VERT to IB JOE on Sat Aug 28 11:32:00 2010
    IB JOE wrote to the doctor <=-

By: the doctor to IB JOE on Thu Aug 26 2010 01:21 pm

the author is more than happy to fix any of his software... tell him
    what U have found with synterm and he'll look into it.

As a BBS client, SyncTERM is pretty good. I'm on linux and have to
    run it in curses mode though, otherwise it pegs my CPU, no idea why.

As a general terminal emulator (i.e. using it to reach other VMS/Unix
    hosts), SyncTERM is about average for BBS clients which means it isn't
    that great. You need a VT100+ emulation that can handle 'vttest' for
    that kind of use - speaking from experience that's about 10 times
    harder than a basic ANSI.SYS emulator. One of the reasons the old
    Unix greybeards were so unhappy with most of the DOS-based comm
    programs, about the only one they didn't hate on was ProComm.

• From the doctor@VERT/QBBS to IB JOE on Sun Aug 29 03:03:00 2010
    --- IB JOE wrote ---
    By: the doctor to IB JOE on Thu

the author is more than happy to fix any of his software... tell him what U have found with synterm and he'll look into it.

I'm sure he is. I set him an email on his BBS.

If you want to see the issue, log on to my bbs and select a screensaver, and let it run.

I never intended to criticize Syncterm. I use it every day.
    ---