• GMail

From Rlogin@VERT to All on Sat Mar 12 04:09:00 2011
    The news is that Google mail is now asking for authentication on smtp. Also needed is login to their POP3.
    Vista handles this in a gentlemen's manner.

:-))

... What!!! I'm missing Star Tre*(%$#zNO CARRIER
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Rlogin@VERT to Poindexter Fortran on Sun Mar 13 03:50:00 2011
    |Poindexter Fortran wrote to Rlogin >

Re: GMail
    By: Rlogin to All on Fri Mar 11 2011 11:09 pm

The news is that Google mail is now asking for authentication on smtp. Also needed is login to their POP3.

I thought they'd asked for SMTP AUTH for some time now?

No... Haven't noticed.

... I.R.S: We've got what it takes to take what you've got.
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Rlogin on Mon Mar 28 18:34:01 2011

That's good to know. :) It seemed like Gmail was doing their own thing as
    far as email reader access (nervously reminiscent of Microsoft not following standards), so it's good to know that they've started using the standard SMTP and POP3 protocols.

How is it that an entire OS "handles" email? Don't you just need an email reader (such as Outlook or Thunderbird)?

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion BBS: digdist.bbsindex.com
  • From Corey@VERT/TSGC to Nightfox on Mon Mar 28 20:36:19 2011
    Re: Re: GMail
    By: Nightfox to Rlogin on Mon Mar 28 2011 01:34 pm

The news is that Google mail is now asking for authentication on smtp. Al needed is login to their POP3.

That's good to know. :) It seemed like Gmail was doing their own thing as far as email reader access (nervously reminiscent of Microsoft not following standards), so it's good to know that they've started using the standard SMT and POP3 protocols.

How is it that an entire OS "handles" email? Don't you just need an email reader (such as Outlook or Thunderbird)?

Nightfox

I think gmail uses non standard ports thou.

"Practise safe Lunch, Use a Condiment"

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Three Stooges Gentlemens Club - Las Vegas, Nv - tsgc.dyndns.org
  • From Dreamer@VERT/SETXBBS to Corey on Tue Mar 29 14:49:05 2011
    By: Corey to Nightfox on Mon Mar 28 2011 03:36 pm

By: Nightfox to Rlogin on Mon Mar 28 2011 01:34 pm

The news is that Google mail is now asking for authentication on smtp. needed is login to their POP3.

That's good to know. :) It seemed like Gmail was doing their own thing far as email reader access (nervously reminiscent of Microsoft not follow standards), so it's good to know that they've started using the standard and POP3 protocols.

How is it that an entire OS "handles" email? Don't you just need an emai reader (such as Outlook or Thunderbird)?

Nightfox

I'm confused...I've accessed gmail from Outlook Express and Thunderbird for years, and never had a problem with it.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Southeast Texas BBS -- setxbbs.synchro.net
  • From Tracker1@VERT/TRN to Nightfox on Wed Mar 30 13:59:07 2011
    On 3/28/2011 1:34 PM, Nightfox wrote:
    The news is that Google mail is now asking for authentication on smtp. Also >> needed is login to their POP3.

That's good to know. :) It seemed like Gmail was doing their own thing as far as email reader access (nervously reminiscent of Microsoft not following standards), so it's good to know that they've started using the standard SMTP and POP3 protocols.

They always were following standards, and required authentication for relay. The difference is now they're requiring the use of SMTP+SSL/TLS for authenticated sends... (Port 465, which is what I have setup on my own mail server).

I don't get that part either.

--
    Michael J. Ryan - http://tracker1.info/

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - telnet://roughneckbbs.com - www.roughneckbbs.com
  • From Tracker1@VERT/TRN to Corey on Wed Mar 30 14:01:26 2011
    On 3/28/2011 3:36 PM, Corey wrote:

Nope, 465 is the correct port for secure smtp, same goes for secure imap 993

--
    Michael J. Ryan - http://tracker1.info/

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - telnet://roughneckbbs.com - www.roughneckbbs.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Tracker1 on Wed Mar 30 17:54:48 2011
    That's good to know. :) It seemed like Gmail was doing their own thing as far as email reader access (nervously reminiscent of Microsoft not following standards), so it's good to know that they've started using the standard SMTP and POP3 protocols.

They always were following standards, and required authentication for
    relay. The difference is now they're requiring the use of SMTP+SSL/TLS for authenticated sends... (Port 465, which is what I have setup on my own mail server).

Ah, that's good to know.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion BBS: digdist.bbsindex.com
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Rlogin on Sat Mar 12 16:04:26 2011
    Re: GMail
    By: Rlogin to All on Fri Mar 11 2011 11:09 pm

I thought they'd asked for SMTP AUTH for some time now?

--pF

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org