• SpikeNet BBS

From Deavmi@VERT/TECHQRY to All on Thu Nov 26 06:54:16 2015
    Just starter work on SpikeNet. Let me explain what it is.

SpikeNet is going to be a federated BBS network that uses basic TCP for some tasks and also using HTTP to transport messages. Each user runs the Spike software and then peers with another user using the software and a link is established. Messages will then be distributed all over on the network.

It sounds more like decentralization.

Anyway. The only things you will need to open are a few ports which will be used for the whole system.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ TechnoQuarry BBS
  • From Deavmi@VERT/TECHQRY to Deavmi on Thu Nov 26 07:24:13 2015

SpikeNet is going to be a federated BBS network that uses basic TCP for some tasks and also using HTTP to transport messages. Each user runs the Spike software and then peers with another user using the software and a link is established. Messages will then be distributed all over on the network.

Anyway. The only things you will need to open are a few ports which will be used for the whole system.
    This how the whole system will work:

You run the client and get the IP:port of a peer and then within the client you add the peer. Then your client makes a TCP/IP socket connection to that peer at the `addPeer` port where yoh will send your IP address to the peer and the port that your BBS http server is running on. The peer can now get your posts. Then what will happen is he will add you as the packet will contain your `addPeer` address:port. Then you can exchange your http addresses:ports and will be able to sync messages.

---
  • From Deavmi@VERT/TECHQRY to Deavmi on Thu Nov 26 07:29:29 2015

You run the client and get the IP:port of a peer and then within the client you add the peer. Then your client makes a TCP/IP socket connection to that peer at the `addPeer` port where yoh will send your IP address to the peer and the port that your BBS http server is running on. The peer can now get your posts. Then what will happen is he will add you as the packet will contain your `addPeer` address:port. Then you can exchange your http addresses:ports and will be able to sync messages.

When you have peered with each other, your client will fetch the posts your peer has made on his side and he will fetch the posts you have made on your side. Posts are numbered chronologically. When the client downloads remote posts he will number them chronologically on his side, hence if you were the only person on the network a new peer could then easily get up-to-date.

Thats a rough idea of how it should work. Also. basically the network should grow from one peer if you see what i mean and grow onwards from there onwards.

---
  • From Deavmi@VERT/TECHQRY to Deavmi on Thu Nov 26 07:31:36 2015

When you have peered with each other, your client will fetch the posts your peer has made on his side and he will fetch the posts you have made on your side. Posts are numbered chronologically. When the client downloads remote posts he will number them chronologically on his side, hence if you were the only person on the network a new peer could then easily get up-to-date.

Thats a rough idea of how it should work. Also. basically the network should grow from one peer if you see what i mean and grow onwards from there onwards.

Another thing that this system holds is that it can automatically discover new peers by downloading a list of peers on your peers list.

---
  • From Deavmi@VERT/TECHQRY to Deavmi on Thu Nov 26 07:33:16 2015

Another thing that this system holds is that it can automatically discover new peers by downloading a list of peers on your peers list.
    ;
    Replies to posts will wotk just likr here, like an emailing thread, we will append to the post's text file.

---
  • From Deavmi@VERT/TECHQRY to Deavmi on Thu Nov 26 07:35:26 2015

;
    Replies to posts will wotk just likr here, like an emailing thread, we will append to the post's text file.

How posts get organised is still not thought of yet. Let's just hope internet connections are fast enough as to not allow posts coming in at the time and overwriting the replies made also at the same time.

---
  • From ROBERT WOLFE@VERT/OTHETA to DEAVMI on Fri Nov 27 14:32:00 2015
    DEAVMI wrote to ALL <=-

SpikeNet is going to be a federated BBS network that uses basic TCP for some tasks and also using HTTP to transport messages. Each user runs
    the Spike software and then peers with another user using the software
    and a link is established. Messages will then be distributed all over
    on the network.

It sounds more like the way UseNet has always worked to me.

... Gone crazy, be back later, please leave message.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.50
    ■ wcQWK 7.0 ≈ Omicron Theta BBS * Memphis, TN * winserver.us
  • From ROBERT WOLFE@VERT/OTHETA to DEAVMI on Fri Nov 27 14:34:00 2015
    DEAVMI wrote to DEAVMI <=-

When you have peered with each other, your client will fetch the posts your peer has made on his side and he will fetch the posts you have
    made on your side. Posts are numbered chronologically. When the client downloads remote posts he will number them chronologically on his side, hence if you were the only person on the network a new peer could then easily get up-to-date.

Before you reinvent the wheel, I would take a look at the NNTP RFCs first
    as to me this sounds like you are trying to do the same thing Usenet
    does.

... "42? 7 and a half million years and all you can come up with is 42?!"
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.50
    ■ wcQWK 7.0 ≈ Omicron Theta BBS * Memphis, TN * winserver.us
  • From Deavmi@VERT/TECHQRY to ROBERT WOLFE on Sat Nov 28 08:52:22 2015
    Re: Re: SpikeNet BBS
    By: ROBERT WOLFE to DEAVMI on Fri Nov 27 2015 09:32 am

DEAVMI wrote to ALL <=-

It sounds more like the way UseNet has always worked to me.

... Gone crazy, be back later, please leave message.
    Yeah, probably.

I am now joining this project's ideas with MarcusNet though which has a working prototype. :)

---
  • From Deavmi@VERT/TECHQRY to ROBERT WOLFE on Sat Nov 28 08:53:30 2015
    Re: Re: SpikeNet BBS
    By: ROBERT WOLFE to DEAVMI on Fri Nov 27 2015 09:34 am

DEAVMI wrote to DEAVMI <=-

Before you reinvent the wheel, I would take a look at the NNTP RFCs first
    as to me this sounds like you are trying to do the same thing Usenet
    does.

... "42? 7 and a half million years and all you can come up with is 42?!"
    I know it's similiar, but I have different ideas i mind.

Check out my post on MarcusNet.

---