• BitTorrent Sync

From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to All on Thu Dec 3 11:48:08 2015
    I'm running too many cloud services -- Dropbox because I like their cross-platform apps and camera uploads, Google drive to stream music and movies, and OneDrive as my main cloud provider. I've got 50 GB on Box that I don't use because there's no Linux client.

I pay for Google, OneDrive is free for 2 years and Dropbox is free but limited, and it's all too much to worry about.

I loaded BitTorrent Sync on 2 Linux laptops and my Windows desktop, and I like it. It's all Peer to Peer, so no cloud-based storage. Because of that, it's only limited by how much you want to sync with the other systems, and it feels pretty secure, especially since most of my sync are done inside my LAN.

There are clients for iOS, Linux and Windows, so I can have one provider that does it all. I like OneDrive, but they don't have a Linux client. Ditto for Box.

One thing that cloud-based storage gives me is offsite storage; I need to find a good solution for that.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Poindexter Fortran on Fri Dec 4 00:19:24 2015
    Re: BitTorrent Sync
    By: Poindexter Fortran to All on Thu Dec 03 2015 06:48 am

I'm running too many cloud services -- Dropbox because I like their cross-platform apps and camera uploads, Google drive to stream music and movies, and OneDrive as my main cloud provider. I've got 50 GB on Box that
    I don't use because there's no Linux client.

i was using a google drive script for linux. google drive sucks because there's no crc checking. you synch and then you get filename (1),(2),etc
    fucking stupid. i was a paying customer and left them.

i was using yunpan360 because those guys gave me like 35TB of space and it was fun to do the raffles to earn more space. they are china based but are branching out and have datacenters all over.

eventually i came to realize i dont like cloud storage and i dont trust any providers. they store our information in an insecure fashion and then criminals have my information and files. fuck that.
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::