• Descent

From Andeddu@VERT/AMSTRAD to Nightfox on Sun Aug 2 21:10:37 2020
    Re: Re: This strange world
    By: Nightfox to Andeddu on Sat Aug 01 2020 04:17 pm

Several years ago, I found out that the Descent engine was made open-source, and there's a project called DXX-Rebirth where someone has ported Descent and Descent 2 to modern operating systems. You can copy all the old levels from the original Descent & Descent 2 CD-ROMs and play those on modern operating systems. I was playing through Descent & Descent 2 on Windows 10 for a while.
    https://www.dxx-rebirth.com

I can't imagine there's too big a fanbase left for that game. I've just opened up a YouTube gameplay video of the first level, great nostalia however I think it would be best if I steered clear of that part of my childhood, haha.

Are you into retro titles? I think the only one I'd reallyt like to replay again would be Deus Ex, and that's due to the incredible storyline. It's a shame because these days I am pretty strapped for time, I struggle enough trying to get 4-5 hours in per week playing current-gen games - anything retro would be a massive stretch.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ BBS for Amstrad computer users including CPC, PPC and PCW!
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Andeddu on Sun Aug 2 18:55:53 2020
    Re: Descent
    By: Andeddu to Nightfox on Sun Aug 02 2020 05:10 pm

copy all the old levels from the original Descent & Descent 2 CD-ROMs
    and play those on modern operating systems. I was playing through
    Descent & Descent 2 on Windows 10 for a while.
    https://www.dxx-rebirth.com

I can't imagine there's too big a fanbase left for that game. I've just opened up a YouTube gameplay video of the first level, great nostalia however I think it would be best if I steered clear of that part of my childhood, haha.

Why seer clear? Also I'm not sure why there would really be less of a fanbase for something like that, unless people just think it's "too old" or something. There's a reason I enjoyed it back then, and I still enjoy it.

Are you into retro titles? I think the only one I'd reallyt like to replay again would be Deus Ex, and that's due to the incredible storyline. It's a shame because these days I am pretty strapped for time, I struggle enough trying to get 4-5 hours in per week playing current-gen games - anything retro would be a massive stretch.

Yes, I like retro titles (Descent & Descent 2 being a couple of them..). Sometimes I like playing old games I used to like to play. I always liked games like Civilization, SimCiy, Unreal Tournament, Descent, Descent 2, Warcraft 1 & 2, Command & Conquer, etc.. I don't play games as much as I used to though.

Electronic Arts recently released a "remastered" Command & Conquer collection, which includes the first Command & Conquer and Red Alert, with updated high-resolution (4K) graphics. I bought a copy, and I like it. It's pretty much just like it used to be, but with the updated graphics, and it's playable on modern versions of Windows. You can also toggle between the old & new graphics if you want to.

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Andeddu@VERT/AMSTRAD to Moondog on Mon Aug 3 19:58:37 2020
    By: Moondog to Andeddu on Sun Aug 02 2020 12:58 pm

Dark Forces was a first person shooter similar to the engine used by Duke Nukem 3d.

I always thought it looked a lot rougher than Duke 3D... I think the cold grey interiors made it look a lot less enticing than other FPSes like Duke. I still recall the cutscenes being of the highest quality though...

---
  • From Andeddu@VERT/AMSTRAD to Nightfox on Mon Aug 3 20:41:45 2020
    Re: Descent
    By: Nightfox to Andeddu on Sun Aug 02 2020 02:55 pm

Why seer clear? Also I'm not sure why there would really be less of a fanbase for something like that, unless people just think it's "too old" or something. There's a reason I enjoyed it back then, and I still enjoy it.

Yes, I like retro titles (Descent & Descent 2 being a couple of them..). Sometimes I like playing old games I used to like to play. I always liked games like Civilization, SimCiy, Unreal Tournament, Descent, Descent 2, Warcraft 1 & 2, Command & Conquer, etc.. I don't play games as much as I used to though.
    Electronic Arts recently released a "remastered" Command & Conquer collection, which includes the first Command & Conquer and Red Alert, with updated high-resolution (4K) graphics. I bought a copy, and I like it.
    It's pretty much just like it used to be, but with the updated graphics, and it's playable on modern versions of Windows. You can also toggle between the old & new graphics if you want to.

I am a bit of a graphics whore these days, which is why I prefer to maintain my happy recollection of older games without the unintended consequence of comparing them with their modern counter-parts.

I do think older RTS titles such as AoE and C&C still look okay in this day and age, along with point-and-click adventures. FPS titles have aged horribly over the years. I did play Unreal Tournament around 12 years ago on a netbook and found that there was still a large online community -- I think that's still true to this day. I may give the C&C/RA collection a shot if they've remastered the graphics as I really got a kick out of playing the AoE1&2 Definitive Editions.

I am not throwing any shade on folk who enjoy retro titles as there's certainly nothing wrong with that. I enjoy watching LGR play old games on his YT videos even, but it's just not something I'd be inclined to do as my modern backlog is growing by the month.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Andeddu on Tue Aug 4 15:03:00 2020
    Re: Dark Forces
    By: Andeddu to Moondog on Mon Aug 03 2020 03:58 pm

By: Moondog to Andeddu on Sun Aug 02 2020 12:58 pm

Dark Forces was a first person shooter similar to the engine used by Duke Nukem 3d.

I always thought it looked a lot rougher than Duke 3D... I think the cold gr interiors made it look a lot less enticing than other FPSes like Duke. I sti recall the cutscenes being of the highest quality though...

Less cartoonish, a definite attempt to create more realistic characters and scenery.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net