• Hey, can someone give me a hand with Ubuntu?

From Zone@VERT/BECKSBBS to All on Thu Oct 11 23:37:40 2012
    Hi, I recently started using Ubuntu 12. The last time I used Ubuntu was when it was Ubuntu 8. I don't like the sidebar thing. I'm not sure what you call it but I think it takes up too much space and it just looks silly. Is there any way to get it to look like Ubuntu 8 again? I just want a bar top and bottom with the same sorta functionality as they had in Ubuntu 8. If anyone can help I would be greatful because I can't find any infomation googleing the problem.

Zone

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Beck's BBS - becksbbs.synchro.net
  • From Corey@VERT/TSGC to Zone on Fri Oct 12 02:41:43 2012
    Re: Hey, can someone give me a hand with Ubuntu?
    By: Zone to All on Thu Oct 11 2012 07:37 pm

Subject: Hey, can someone give me a hand with Ubuntu?
    @VIA: BECKSBBS
    @MSGID: <50776654.1170.doveunix@becksbbs.synchro.net>
    @TZ: c168
    Hi, I recently started using Ubuntu 12. The last time I used Ubuntu was when was Ubuntu 8. I don't like the sidebar thing. I'm not sure what you call it I think it takes up too much space and it just looks silly. Is there any way get it to look like Ubuntu 8 again? I just want a bar top and bottom with th same sorta functionality as they had in Ubuntu 8. If anyone can help I would greatful because I can't find any infomation googleing the problem.

Zone

beats me. I just switched from 10.4 to 12 myself.
    I think the desktop is GNOME. look it up in the man pages.
    it should be changible.

"Practise safe Lunch, Use a Condiment"

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Three Stooges Gentlemens Club - Las Vegas, Nv - tsgc.dyndns.org
  • From Mindless Automaton@VERT/ELDRITCH to Zone on Fri Oct 12 12:15:47 2012
    On 10/11/2012 8:37 PM, Zone wrote:
    Hi, I recently started using Ubuntu 12. The last time I used Ubuntu was when it
    was Ubuntu 8. I don't like the sidebar thing. I'm not sure what you call it but
    I think it takes up too much space and it just looks silly. Is there any way to
    get it to look like Ubuntu 8 again? I just want a bar top and bottom with the same sorta functionality as they had in Ubuntu 8. If anyone can help I would be
    greatful because I can't find any infomation googleing the problem.

Google ubuntu gnome classic or

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/classicgnome

-Mindless Automaton
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Eldritch Clockwork BBS - eldritch.darktech.org
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Zone on Fri Oct 12 22:33:05 2012

Hi, I recently started using Ubuntu 12. The last time I used Ubuntu was when it was Ubuntu 8. I don't like the sidebar thing. I'm not sure what you call it

Unity.

I hate it myself. Install the classic fallback package:

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

and select Gnome Classic at the login page.

I run Lubuntu, it's Ubuntu with LXDE and lightweight apps, with a
    low-resource, traditional looking desktop. http://www.lubuntu.org.

--pF

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Corey@VERT/TSGC to Poindexter Fortran on Fri Oct 12 23:27:42 2012
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Zone on Fri Oct 12 2012 06:33 pm

Subject: Hey, can someone give me a hand with Ubuntu?
    @VIA: REALITY
    @MSGID: <5078C4D1.1171.dove.dove-nix@realitycheckbbs.org>
    @REPLY: <50776654.1170.doveunix@becksbbs.synchro.net>
    @TZ: c1e0

Hi, I recently started using Ubuntu 12. The last time I used Ubuntu was w it was Ubuntu 8. I don't like the sidebar thing. I'm not sure what you ca it

Unity.

I run Lubuntu, it's Ubuntu with LXDE and lightweight apps, with a low-resource, traditional looking desktop. http://www.lubuntu.org.

--pF

and soon we will have a tottally messed up version.
    maybe Fubuntu?

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Three Stooges Gentlemens Club - Las Vegas, Nv - tsgc.dyndns.org
  • From Chris@VERT/DMINE to Corey on Sat Oct 13 23:39:47 2012
    By: Corey to Zone on Thu Oct 11 2012 10:41 pm

beats me. I just switched from 10.4 to 12 myself.
    I think the desktop is GNOME. look it up in the man pages.
    it should be changible.

I'm guessing that version 8 was pre-Unity. I don't think you can reconfigure that, or if you can it may not be easy. There are Gnome spinoffs meant to imitate classic Gnome 2, but I can't speak for any of them. I believe one comes standard on the newer Mint releases.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chris Perrault
    The Diamond Mine BBS
    telnet://bbs.dmine.net

The Programmers' SIG @ DelphiForums
    http://www.delphiforums.com/prosig

------------------------------------------------------------------

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Diamond Mine Online - bbs.dmine.net - Fredericksburg, VA USA
  • From The Dark Rider@VERT/DUNDER to Corey on Sat Oct 13 21:49:23 2012
    By: Corey to Poindexter Fortran on Fri Oct 12 2012 19:27:42

Unity.

I run Lubuntu, it's Ubuntu with LXDE and lightweight apps, with a low-resource, traditional looking desktop. http://www.lubuntu.org.

--pF

and soon we will have a tottally messed up version.

Heh, this thread so reminds me of why I switched back to Debian testing. At least their Gnome setup seems to be more sane than Ubuntu's Unity interface these days. Actually, I use XFCE on my Debian machines anyway.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Underground - telnet://sinep.gotdns.com
  • From Ronald Reid@VERT/THEWASTE to Poindexter Fortran on Sun Oct 14 15:57:08 2012
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Zone on Fri Oct 12 2012 06:33 pm

Hi, I recently started using Ubuntu 12. The last time I used Ubuntu was w it was Ubuntu 8. I don't like the sidebar thing. I'm not sure what you ca it

Unity.

--pF

does that work for linux mint with the MATE desktop too?

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Wastelands BBS - wastelands-bbs.net - Keeping The Tradition Alive
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Zone on Tue Oct 16 09:30:20 2012
    Re: Hey, can someone give me
    By: Zone to All on Thu Oct 11 2012 19:37:00

was Ubuntu 8. I don't like the sidebar thing. I'm not sure what you call it I think it takes up too much space and it just looks silly. Is there any way get it to look like Ubuntu 8 again? I just want a bar top and bottom with th

The sidebar thing is 'Unity', Ubuntu's attempt to be like OS/X. When you're at the logon screen (xdm), look down at the bottom and there will be an option to change to 'Classic' view or shell or desktop or whatever. That'll put things back the way they were. Isn't Unity disgusting? The switch to that totally made me give up Ubuntu and switch to Debian.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Tinfoil Tetrahedron BBS ssh port 8022 bismaninfo.hopto.org Web port 8080
  • From Art@VERT/RASPBERI to Khelair on Thu Oct 18 15:05:31 2012
    Re: Ubuntu Unity (disabling)
    By: Khelair to Zone on Tue Oct 16 2012 05:30:20

Avast mateys,

was Ubuntu 8. I don't like the sidebar thing. I'm not sure what you call I think it takes up too much space and it just looks silly. Is there any get it to look like Ubuntu 8 again? I just want a bar top and bottom with

The sidebar thing is 'Unity', Ubuntu's attempt to be like OS/X. When you're at the logon screen (xdm), look down at the bottom and there will be option to change to 'Classic' view or shell or desktop or whatever. That'll put things back the way they were. Isn't Unity disgusting? The switch to t totally made me give up Ubuntu and switch to Debian.

Aye, a lot of people seem to complain about the sidebar in Unity. I'm also not a fan of it.

You can install gnome-shell in ubuntu if not already installed, and if you are using gdm choose "GNOME" instead of the Unity default. The default gnome shell does not have the sidebar.

You can also do away with it via gnome extensions.

Kind regards,
    Art
    art at raspberry dot poorcoding dot com.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Raspberry Board: ARM powered! raspberry.poorcoding.com:2300
  • From Ronald Reid@VERT/THEWASTE to Khelair on Sun Oct 21 10:11:25 2012
    Re: Ubuntu Unity (disabling)
    By: Khelair to Zone on Tue Oct 16 2012 05:30 am

Re: Hey, can someone give me
    By: Zone to All on Thu Oct 11 2012 19:37:00

was Ubuntu 8. I don't like the sidebar thing. I'm not sure what you call
    it
    I think it takes up too much space and it just looks silly. Is there any
    way
    get it to look like Ubuntu 8 again? I just want a bar top and bottom with
    th

The sidebar thing is 'Unity', Ubuntu's attempt to be like OS/X. When you're at the logon screen (xdm), look down at the bottom and there will be
    an
    option to change to 'Classic' view or shell or desktop or whatever. That'll put things back the way they were. Isn't Unity disgusting? The switch to t
    hat
    totally made me give up Ubuntu and switch to Debian.

agreed. unity stinks.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ The Wastelands BBS - wastelands-bbs.net - Keeping The Tradition Alive
  • From Xeon927@VERT/ACORPBBS to Zone on Sat Jan 5 01:22:45 2013
    Hi, I recently started using Ubuntu 12. The last time I used Ubuntu was
    when it was Ubuntu 8. I don't like the sidebar thing. I'm not sure what you call it but I think it takes up too much space and it just looks silly. Is there any way to get it to look like Ubuntu 8 again? I just want a bar top and bottom with the same sorta functionality as they had in Ubuntu 8. If anyone can help I would be greatful because I can't find any infomation googleing the problem.

Zone

---

You could try giving a shot at installing "gnome-session-fallback", then selecting that at the login screen after a reboot. A few friends and myself were after the same thing a few months back, and we found that helped us.
    --
    xeon927
    ACorpBBS Sysop
    Web: http://www.acorptech.com.au
    Telnet: telnet://acorptech.com.au:23

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ACorpBBS - The Helpful BBS - Computer Support is always close by
  • From The Millionaire@VERT/PARKAVE to Xeon927 on Fri Jan 4 17:50:03 2013
    Re: Re: Hey, can someone give me a hand with Ubuntu?
    By: Xeon927 to Zone on Fri Jan 04 2013 08:22 pm

Hi, I recently started using Ubuntu 12. The last time I used Ubuntu was when it was Ubuntu 8. I don't like the sidebar thing. I'm not sure what you call it but I think it takes up too much space and it just looks silly. Is there any way to get it to look like Ubuntu 8 again? I just want a bar top and bottom with the same sorta functionality as they had in Ubuntu 8. If anyone can help I would be greatful because I can't find any infomation googleing the problem.

Zone

---

You could try giving a shot at installing "gnome-session-fallback", then selecting that at the login screen after a reboot. A few friends and myself were after the same thing a few months back, and we found that helped us.
    --
    xeon927
    ACorpBBS Sysop
    Web: http://www.acorptech.com.au
    Telnet: telnet://acorptech.com.au:23

The new Ubuntu distros now are a lot like Windows 8. They are using simplicity with icon-based desktop viewing but in a more graphical intensed way than before causing more complication and major confusion for a lot of users in the long run including me who test drived it recently. I was definitely not too impressed with it. That was for sure there though.

$ The Millionaire $
    Park Avenue Place
    Surrey, B.C., Canada █ ♠ █

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Park Avenue Place - parkave.synchro.net
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to The Millionaire on Fri Jan 4 19:15:15 2013
    By: The Millionaire to Xeon927 on Fri Jan 04 2013 12:50 pm

The new Ubuntu distros now are a lot like Windows 8. They are using simplicity with icon-based desktop viewing but in a more graphical

Yeah, but it's a piece of cake to install the old gnome, or LXDE, or KDE, or openbox, or one of a handful of window managers.

I'm an LXDE fan myself, but I'm tempted to put Ubuntu w/gnome classic on it. My current laptop (wouldn't call it new) is a dual core box with 3 GB of RAM. My older system was a single-core and that's what got me hooked on Lubuntu w/LXDE.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From The Millionaire@VERT/PARKAVE to Poindexter Fortran on Sat Jan 5 00:07:01 2013
    By: Poindexter Fortran to The Millionaire on Fri Jan 04 2013 02:15 pm

The new Ubuntu distros now are a lot like Windows 8. They are using simplicity with icon-based desktop viewing but in a more graphical

Yeah, but it's a piece of cake to install the old gnome, or LXDE, or KDE,
    or openbox, or one of a handful of window managers.

I'm an LXDE fan myself, but I'm tempted to put Ubuntu w/gnome classic on
    it. My current laptop (wouldn't call it new) is a dual core box with 3 GB
    of RAM. My older system was a single-core and that's what got me hooked on Lubuntu w/LXDE.

If you get a chance and you have the memory capacity or the machine for it, try
    the ultimate edition. It really rocks but you really have to have serious hardware to run it because it's chocked full of goodies.

http://ultimateedition.info

$ The Millionaire $
    Park Avenue Place
    Surrey, B.C., Canada █ ♠ █

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Park Avenue Place - parkave.synchro.net
  • From an0k@VERT/HAX0RQWK to Poindexter Fortran on Sat Jan 26 00:08:47 2013
    By: Poindexter Fortran to The Millionaire on Fri Jan 04 2013 02:15 pm

Yeah, but it's a piece of cake to install the old gnome, or LXDE, or KDE, or openbox, or one of a handful of window managers.

I'm an LXDE fan myself, but I'm tempted to put Ubuntu w/gnome classic on it. current laptop (wouldn't call it new) is a dual core box with 3 GB of RAM. M older system was a single-core and that's what got me hooked on Lubuntu w/LX

i gotta say, i hated unity when it first came out but seeing on a tablet form would be ace. gnome, unity, kde, shit dont matter as much to me as a good shell :)

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ .. hax0r's palace .. you've just been hax0r'd ..