• 64bit vs 32bit

From Gryphon@VERT/CYBERIA to All on Mon Nov 3 15:43:00 2014
    I'm running Debian Wheezy on an Acer Aspire R1600. It's older, but it
    supports 64bit, as I just found out. My current arrangment is 32bit Debian Wheezy, but now I'm considering migrating to 64bit. But before I do, I want
    to find out what would be the benefits vs the risks. Does anybody have any experience with this?

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A53 (Linux)
    * Origin: Cyberia BBS | Cyberia.Darktech.Org | Kingwood, TX
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Gryphon on Mon Nov 3 20:19:18 2014
    Re: 64bit vs 32bit
    By: Gryphon to All on Mon Nov 03 2014 10:43:00

I'm running Debian Wheezy on an Acer Aspire R1600. It's older, but it supports 64bit, as I just found out. My current arrangment is 32bit Debian Wheezy, but now I'm considering migrating to 64bit. But before I do, I want to find out what would be the benefits vs the risks. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Haven't run it on an aspire, but I ran it on an Athalon XP Black edition. Didn't notice shit for risks; just good increases in processing time and a wonderful plethora of memory available.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Tinfoil Tetrahedron BBS telnet or ssh -p 2222 to tinfoil.synchro.net
  • From wkitty42@VERT/CYBERIA to Gryphon on Tue Nov 4 01:53:00 2014
    On 11/03/14, Gryphon said the following...

I'm running Debian Wheezy on an Acer Aspire R1600. It's older, but it supports 64bit, as I just found out. My current arrangment is 32bit Debian Wheezy, but now I'm considering migrating to 64bit. But before I do, I want to find out what would be the benefits vs the risks. Does anybody have any experience with this?

the biggest thing that i'm aware of is that memory use will likely double... why? because it takes twice as much memory for 64bits as it does for
    32bits... because of moving so much more memory around, some things will be slower but overall there may appear to be a better through put... remember
    back to the days of 16bit vs 32bit when 32bit first came out and was being taken advantage of... same thing here...

the best thing is to try it and see how your normal usage fairs...

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A53 (Linux)
    * Origin: Cyberia BBS | Cyberia.Darktech.Org | Kingwood, TX
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Gryphon on Thu Nov 6 13:28:02 2014
    By: Gryphon to All on Mon Nov 03 2014 10:43 am

benefits,
    can address more than 4gb of RAM

risks,
    not many. In Windows x64 you can't run 16bit apps, so old DOS games are out unless you run them in DOSBox. I suspect Linux is probably more friendly to older apps, but I don't run Linux too much to really study it extensively.

I have Debian Wheezy running virtually, I imagine it's 32bit.

I'd say if you have a 64-bit system you'll probably be OK. Exactly what CPU is it? If it's some slow AMD Athlon chip thats several generations old, and you're running less thant 4gb ram, then you might as well just run 32-bit. Not many apps out there are 64-bit only.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Shodan's Core - shodan.synchro.net:23 & :2323
  • From Deuce@VERT/SYNCNIX to Android8675 on Sat Nov 8 18:46:11 2014
    By: Android8675 to Gryphon on Thu Nov 06 2014 08:28 am

I'm running Debian Wheezy on an Acer Aspire R1600. It's older, but it supports 64bit, as I just found out. My current arrangment is 32bit Debian Wheezy, but now I'm considering migrating to 64bit. But before I do, I want to find out what would be the benefits vs the risks.
    Does anybody have any experience with this?

benefits,

That limit only applies to each process, not the server as a whole. PAE has been inclided in hardward for years, and non-Windows OSs support it.

---
    http://DuckDuckGo.com/ a better search engine that respects your privacy.
    ■ Synchronet ■ My Brand-New BBS (All the cool SysOps run STOCK!)
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Deuce on Mon Nov 10 20:57:05 2014
    By: Deuce to Android8675 on Sat Nov 08 2014 01:46 pm

benefits,

That limit only applies to each process, not the server as a whole. PAE has been inclided in hardward for years, and non-Windows OSs support it.

I knew someone would know more, I am a Windows user, we tend to over simplify. :)

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Shodan's Core - shodan.synchro.net:23 & :2323
  • From ROBERT WOLFE@VERT/OTHETA to GRYPHON on Tue Nov 11 06:18:00 2014
    GRYPHON wrote to ALL <=-

I'm running Debian Wheezy on an Acer Aspire R1600. It's older, but it supports 64bit, as I just found out. My current arrangment is 32bit Debian Wheezy, but now I'm considering migrating to 64bit. But before
    I do, I want to find out what would be the benefits vs the risks. Does anybody have any experience with this?

IMO 64-bit OSes should really only be used on machines with 4GB of RAM or
    more. But, then again, I thought everyone knew that :) Other than that, myself, I really don't see any other difference.

... What is mind? No matter! What is matter? Never mind! - Homer S.
    --- MultiMail/OS/2 v0.49
    ■ wcQWK 7.0 ≈ Omicron Theta BBS * Memphis, TN * winserver.us
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to Android8675 on Wed Nov 12 14:52:58 2014

not many. In Windows x64 you can't run 16bit apps, so old DOS games are out unless you run them in DOSBox. I suspect Linux is probably more friendly to older apps, but I don't run Linux too much to really study it extensively.

I began running Synchronet under 64-bit Squeeze last year (inside VirtualBox on a Mac). A couple months ago I updated to Wheezy.

Overall my experience has been good. Dosemu seems to run most of the doors I have thrown at it, though I have run into trouble with some, notably TradeWars. I finally found a version that would work, though. Admittedly, though, I have not tried to install more than a dozen or so of the most popular DOS doors, so my experience may be misleading.

--Josh

////--------------------------------------------------
    BiC -=- http://breakintochat.com -=- bbs wiki and blog

---
    ■ Synchronet
  • From Ragnarok@VERT/DOCKSUD to Kirkman on Fri Nov 14 03:32:04 2014
    El 12/11/14 a las 12:52, Kirkman escibió:

not many. In Windows x64 you can't run 16bit apps, so old DOS games are out unless you run them in DOSBox. I suspect Linux is probably more friendly to older apps, but I don't run Linux too much to really study it
    extensively.

I began running Synchronet under 64-bit Squeeze last year (inside VirtualBox on
    a Mac). A couple months ago I updated to Wheezy.

Overall my experience has been good. Dosemu seems to run most of the doors I have thrown at it, though I have run into trouble with some, notably TradeWars.
    I finally found a version that would work, though. Admittedly, though, I have not tried to install more than a dozen or so of the most popular DOS doors, so
    my experience may be misleading.

--Josh

////--------------------------------------------------
    BiC -=- http://breakintochat.com -=- bbs wiki and blog

---
    � Synchronet

im also running synchornet on debian and work very well

---
    þ Synchronet þ Dock Sud BBS TLD 24 HS - http://www.docksud.com.ar - telnet://bbs.docksud.com.ar
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to ROBERT WOLFE on Sun Jan 4 19:37:54 2015
    One would assume that for the same amount of cpu cycle a 64bit would
    process twice the amount a 32bit would so. Theoretically.

On 2014-11-10 20:18, "ROBERT WOLFE" wrote:
    GRYPHON wrote to ALL <=-

GR> I'm running Debian Wheezy on an Acer Aspire R1600. It's older, but it
    GR> supports 64bit, as I just found out. My current arrangment is 32bit
    GR> Debian Wheezy, but now I'm considering migrating to 64bit. But before
    GR> I do, I want to find out what would be the benefits vs the risks. Does
    GR> anybody have any experience with this?

IMO 64-bit OSes should really only be used on machines with 4GB of RAM or more. But, then again, I thought everyone knew that :) Other than that, myself, I really don't see any other difference.

---
    þ Synchronet þ MtlGeek - Geeks in Montreal - part of www.ennev.com/bbs -
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Ennev on Mon Jan 5 00:06:03 2015
    Re: Re: 64bit vs 32bit
    By: Ennev to ROBERT WOLFE on Sun Jan 04 2015 02:37 pm

One would assume that for the same amount of cpu cycle a 64bit would
    process twice the amount a 32bit would so. Theoretically.

Yeah, that'd be false.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #83:
    The Electronic Frontier Foundation used to run Synchronet (circa 1993).
    Norco, CA WX: 59.6°F, 44.0% humidity, 5 mph NNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Chris@VERT/DMINE to Gryphon on Mon Feb 9 05:40:23 2015
    By: Gryphon to All on Mon Nov 03 2014 10:43 am

It's been a while but I remember having a similar issue using Mageia as my desktop OS. I added the memory, but the system only recognized some of it, topping out at either 2 or 3 gigs.

Upgrading to the 64bit kernel was the fix. I've never used Debian so I can't give accurate instructions. I would *think* it's a simple matter of installing the correct kernel from the software manager. That's basically what I did. Of course I'd recommend backing up anything you don't want to lose since it is a kernel upgrade. They have become rather painless over time, but you still don't want to take chances.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chris Perrault
    The Diamond Mine BBS
    telnet://bbs.dmine.net

The Programmers' SIG @ DelphiForums
    http://www.delphiforums.com/prosig

------------------------------------------------------------------

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Diamond Mine Online - bbs.dmine.net - Fredericksburg, VA USA
  • From Night Stalker@VERT/IDBBS to Chris on Thu Sep 17 00:55:00 2015
    It's been a while but I remember having a similar issue using Mageia as
    my desktop OS. I added the memory, but the system only recognized some
    of it, topping out at either 2 or 3 gigs.

In order for Linux to recognize more than 3GB ram you need to install a
    kernel with PAE extensions to address the upper memory, 32bit OS is limited
    to 4GB RAM so if your machine has more you need a 64 bit compiled kernel

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 (Windows)
    * Origin: internal dimension :: idbbs.darktech.org