# ddrescue -v -b 2048 -r 4 /dev/sr0 D1.iso D1.log
    GNU ddrescue 1.23
    About to copy 7255 MBytes from '/dev/sr0' to 'D1.iso'
    Starting positions: infile = 0 B, outfile = 0 B
    Copy block size: 32 sectors Initial skip size: 64 sectors
    Sector size: 2048 Bytes

Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
    ipos: 4415 MB, non-trimmed: 360116 kB, current rate: 0 B/s
    opos: 4415 MB, non-scraped: 0 B, average rate: 79775 B/s non-tried: 1716 MB, bad-sector: 0 B, error rate: 8192 B/s
    rescued: 5179 MB, bad areas: 0, run time: 18h 2m
    pct rescued: 71.37%, read errors: 5569, remaining time: n/a
    time since last successful read: 16h 30m 43s Copying non-tried blocks... Pass 5 (forwards)

Note that the last successful read time is over 16 hours. At this point,
    the numbers in the left column have long since quit incrementing, while the numbers (that are not 0) in the other two colums are the only ones going up.

I have searched on the internet about this. Some folks talk about theirs
    going days without ever stopping on its own. Others point out that
    sometimes you can CTRL-C out and the iso you get will be mostly OK. Mine unfortunately was not. :)

Is there anything I should think about changing on the command line to get better results?

* SLMR 2.1a * I am Popeye of Borg. Prepare to be askimilgrated.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Dumas Walker on Tue Feb 9 04:24:40 2021
    Re: ddrescue
    By: Dumas Walker to ALL on Mon Feb 08 2021 03:45 pm

I have been trying to use ddrescue to make a good copy of a DVD that only works in some of my DVD players. I actually got it to work with one DVD, but the other one gets so far and then, after several hours, the screen looks like this:

so what is the DVD of? is it something like family movies, or is it something you can download.

if you can just download it off the internet, i recommend that.
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Dumas Walker on Tue Feb 9 08:17:30 2021

I have been trying to use ddrescue to make a good copy of a DVD that only works in some of my DVD players. I actually got it to work with one DVD, but the other one gets so far and then, after several hours, the screen looks like this:

GNU ddrescue 1.23

opos: 4415 MB, non-scraped: 0 B, average rate: 79775 B/s non-tried: 1716 MB, bad-sector: 0 B,
    error rate: 8192 B/s
    rescued: 5179 MB, bad areas: 0, run time: 18h 2m pct rescued: 71.37%, read errors: 5569, remaining time: n/a
    time since last successful read: 16h 30m 43s Copying non-tried blocks... Pass 5 (forwards)

Note that the last successful read time is over 16 hours. At this point, the numbers in the left column have long since quit incrementing, while the numbers (that are not 0) in the other two colums
    are the only ones going up.

I have searched on the internet about this. Some folks talk about theirs going days without ever stopping on its own. Others point out that sometimes you can CTRL-C out and the iso you get will be mostly OK. Mine unfortunately was not. :)

Is there anything I should think about changing on the command line to get better results?

I don't do a lot of optical media rescuing with ddrescue, but the idea is that you have to perform the reads using multiple
    devices.

Say you have a bunch of defective sectors. Some optical media reader is capable of reading 33% of them. Another media reader
    can read 50% of them. And another media reader can read 39% of them. Hopefully if you run ddrescue with each reader, and put
    the results together, you can rebuild the whole iso or at least the most of it.

You could run a round of reads using the -n switch, which should speed things up quite a bit. Reduce the number of retries too
    - there is no point in trying 4 times for the sector in a first run. You will retrieve less data with each pass, but the thing
    is that if 30% of the image is unreadable after the first run you know you can put the DVD into the trash and need waste no
    more time :-)

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to MRO on Tue Feb 9 21:10:00 2021
    so what is the DVD of? is it something like family movies, or is it something u can download.

I might be able to download it, I have not looked. People talk about downloading things but I am not sure where they find them. It is a DVD I bought.

I need to get smarter about those things. :)

* SLMR 2.1a * Photons have mass? I didn't know they were Catholic...

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to ARELOR on Tue Feb 9 21:11:00 2021
    is that if 30% of the image is unreadable after the first run you know you can
    ut the DVD into the trash and need waste no
    more time :-)

I had not thought of it that way but I bet you are right. Thanks!

* SLMR 2.1a * Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again!

---
  • From Boraxman@VERT/MSRDBBS to Arelor on Wed Feb 10 05:42:00 2021
    Arelor wrote to Dumas Walker <=-

@MSGID: <6022532A.385.dove-unix@palantirbbs.ddns.net>
    @REPLY: <6021A2F5.2616.dove-nix@capitolcityonline.net>
    By: Dumas Walker to ALL on
    Mon Feb 08 2021 03:45 pm

GNU ddrescue 1.23

opos: 4415 MB, non-scraped: 0 B, average rate: 79775 B/s
    no
    n-tried: 1716 MB, bad-sector: 0 B,
    error rate: 8192 B/s
    rescued: 5179 MB, bad areas: 0, run time: 18h 2m pct rescued: 71.37%, read errors: 5569, remaining time: n/a
    time since last successful read: 16h 30m 43s
    Co
    pying non-tried blocks... Pass 5 (forwards)

Note that the last successful read time is over 16 hours. At this point, the numbers in the left column have long since quit incrementing, while the
    n
    umbers (that are not 0) in the other two colums
    are the only ones going up.

I have searched on the internet about this. Some folks talk about theirs going days without ever stopping on its own. Others point out that sometimes you can CTRL-C out and the iso you get will be mostly OK. Mine
    unf
    ortunately was not. :)

Is there anything I should think about changing on the command line to get
    be
    tter results?

I don't do a lot of optical media rescuing with ddrescue, but the idea
    is that you have to perform the reads using multiple devices.

Say you have a bunch of defective sectors. Some optical media reader is
    capable of reading 33% of them. Another media reader can read 50% of them. And another media reader can read 39% of them. Hopefully if you
    run ddrescue with each reader, and put the results together, you can rebuild the whole iso or at least the most of it.

You could run a round of reads using the -n switch, which should speed things up quite a bit. Reduce the number of retries too - there is no point in trying 4 times for the sector in a first run. You will
    retrieve less data with each pass, but the thing is that if 30% of the image is unreadable after the first run you know you can put the DVD
    into the trash and need waste no more time :-)

Trying a different drive will probably help more than using different command line switches. IF the problem is degradation of the media, subtle differences in the lasers between drives can lead to different results. You mention it worked on one drive, so do you have someone elses machine you can use? IS the disk scratched?

I have found that some drives might barf on one disk where another doesn't. I'd be interested to know how you stick multiple failed ISO's together. I found my Doom 3 CD's (original, not pirate, two of them would fail one my desktop, but I was able to read them on my laptop.

IF the degradation is affecting a portion of the disk (ie, its not just one or a few sectors), well, unless you can get it working on another drive, its likely gone.

... MultiMail, the new multi-platform, multi-format offline reader!
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    ■ Synchronet ■ MS & RD BBs - bbs.mozysswamp.org
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Dumas Walker on Wed Feb 10 04:08:01 2021
    By: Dumas Walker to MRO on Tue Feb 09 2021 04:10 pm

so what is the DVD of? is it something like family movies, or is it something u can download.

I might be able to download it, I have not looked. People talk about downloading things but I am not sure where they find them. It is a DVD I bought.

I need to get smarter about those things. :)

just come on my irc or my bbs and msg me and give me your email address. i'll download it for you. there's no use going through all these troubles over a movie.
    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From matjam@VERT/STUPID to Dumas Walker on Wed Feb 17 12:43:02 2021

If the DVD is scratched and thats why it's having trouble, you might be able to get better results trying to address the physical damage. I've been using some plastic polish that I got off amazon for other things. It works well.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ [Stupendous BBS - bbs.stupendous.net]
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to MATJAM on Wed Feb 17 19:09:00 2021
    I have been trying to use ddrescue to make a good copy of a DVD that only
    works in some of my DVD players. I actually got it to work with one DVD, but the other one gets so far and then, after several hours, the screen looks like this:
    If the DVD is scratched and thats why it's having trouble, you might be able t
    get better results trying to address the physical damage. I've been using some
    lastic polish that I got off amazon for other things. It works well.

In this case, it was not scratched, but thanks for that info!

I was able to get just about all of the data off using Handbrake. Seems
    like the areas having issues were the ones that contained the DVD menu and
    some of the extras. I was able to get most all of what I really wanted off
    of it, and I think i can get the rest with youtube-dl. :)

* SLMR 2.1a * This message brought to you by JAMMITIN (tm)!!

---