• C++ MFC UpdateData() causes debug assertion failure

From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to All on Mon Jul 11 20:47:34 2011
    Hi all -

I'm working on a C++ application for Windows written with MFC that someone
    else originally developed. It's a dialog-based application, and there are
    many places in the code where it calls UpdateData() to synchronize the values of member variables and controls on the GUI. When I compile and run the program in debug mode, these calls to UpdateData() cause a debug assertion failure, which cause the program to stop running. Does anyone know what might cause this and how it might be fixed?

Nightfox

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion BBS - digdist.bbsindex.com
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Nightfox on Tue Jul 12 22:51:16 2011
    Re: C++ MFC UpdateData() causes debug assertion failure
    By: Nightfox to All on Mon Jul 11 2011 04:47 pm

Hi all -

I'm working on a C++ application for Windows written with MFC that someone else originally developed. It's a dialog-based application, and there are many places in the code where it calls UpdateData() to synchronize the values of member variables and controls on the GUI. When I compile and run the program in debug mode, these calls to UpdateData() cause a debug assertion failure, which cause the program to stop running. Does anyone know what might cause this and how it might be fixed?

Run it in your debugger/IDE and look at the callstack after the assertion. That will show you the point in the code (and the contents of variables/memory) when the assertion occurs.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #51:
    Answers to Frequently Asked Questions: http://wiki.synchro.net/faq:index

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ telnet://vert.synchro.net