• Is this area dead?

From Ian Mcdonald@VERT/LIVEWIRE to All on Fri Apr 15 01:54:25 2016
    I love the discussion / debate on religion.

I hear it's getting much worse in the United States, but there is a definate assault on Christians here in Monaghan, Ireland. It seems as if "political correctness" is becoming a religion into it's own.

Ian

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ SONOS - livewirebbs.ddns.net
  • From Michl@VERT/SCHWANDN to Ian Mcdonald on Fri Apr 15 18:09:25 2016
    Re: Is this area dead?
    By: Ian Mcdonald to All on Thu Apr 14 2016 21:54:25

I hear it's getting much worse in the United States, but there is a definate assault on Christians here in Monaghan, Ireland. It seems as if "political correctness" is becoming a religion into it's own.

Ian

I hope it isn't dead.

Im interessted in discussion about religion.

Michl

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Schwand Net BBS - schwand.noip.me
  • From Thuff@VERT/WINTENTE to Michl on Tue Apr 19 16:59:36 2016
    I should start posting in here...hmmmm...

Re: Is this area dead?
    By: Ian Mcdonald to All on Thu Apr 14 2016 21:54:25

I hear it's getting much worse in the United States, but there is a definate assault on Christians here in Monaghan, Ireland. It seems
    as if
    "political correctness" is becoming a religion into it's own.

Ian

I hope it isn't dead.

Michl

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Schwand Net BBS - schwand.noip.me

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ WINTENTEN - wintenten.noip.me
  • From Jeff Friend@VERT/MORDOR to Thuff on Sun Apr 24 13:42:41 2016
    Re: Re: Is this area dead?
    By: Thuff to Michl on Tue Apr 19 2016 12:59 pm

When it comes to Religion, I have a hard time believing in what it says.

Genesis 1:1 - "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth"
    Genesis 1:3 - "And God said "Let there be light", and there was light."

The problem I have is "Who was there to witness this and write it down?".
    Some will say "It is the word of God." If I say God talks to me, I end up
    in a loony bin somewhere, but for those 000's of years ago, it is OK?

And if the Earth IS the age that the bible works it out to be, no more than 6000 years old, how do yo account for the fossils that have been carbon dated to at least millions of years old? Last I heard, carbon dating was accourate
    to within +/- 1000 years. Dinosaur bones dated to over 50 million years old fall way out of the 6000 years that the bible would have us believe. Some
    will try to tell you that carbon dating is not 100% accurate. My reply to them is "And the word of mouth, spoken over years, told and retold down the generations is 100% accurate?" What about "Chinese Whispers"?

The bible, to me anyway, is a fictional tale, created by men in power for one reason and one reason ONLY - TO CONTROL THE MASSES.

When kings went to war alongside their armies back in the day, who did they leave in charge? The priests, Why? Because the priests would put the "fear
    of God" into the masses to keep them under control. And even when the king WAS there, the priests still did the same thing.

But yes, I do like to debate religion.

Jeff in Australia.

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Mordor - casper.homeip.net
  • From Thuff@VERT/WINTENTE to Jeff Friend on Sun Apr 24 13:41:00 2016
    It appears you have multiple concerns, that's fine. I won't try to respond
    to all of them but if you have single questions not lumped into full page articles I will be happy to to oblige.

So I assume you believe in Evolution vs Creation? I believe in Creation.

Have you actually read the Bible or just pieces of it here and there? Or
    just heard people talk about it? I have read it several times and continue studying it.

I'm just trying to discern what you do believe as a starting point.

Tom

By: Thuff to Michl on Tue Apr 19 2016 12:59 pm

When it comes to Religion, I have a hard time believing in what it says.

Genesis 1:1 - "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" Genesis 1:3 - "And God said "Let there be light", and there was light."

The problem I have is "Who was there to witness this and write it
    down?".
    Some will say "It is the word of God." If I say God talks to me, I end
    up
    in a loony bin somewhere, but for those 000's of years ago, it is OK?

And if the Earth IS the age that the bible works it out to be, no more
    than
    6000 years old, how do yo account for the fossils that have been carbon dated to at least millions of years old? Last I heard, carbon dating was accourate
    to within +/- 1000 years. Dinosaur bones dated to over 50 million years
    old
    fall way out of the 6000 years that the bible would have us believe.
    Some
    will try to tell you that carbon dating is not 100% accurate. My reply
    to
    them is "And the word of mouth, spoken over years, told and retold down
    the
    generations is 100% accurate?" What about "Chinese Whispers"?

The bible, to me anyway, is a fictional tale, created by men in power
    for
    one reason and one reason ONLY - TO CONTROL THE MASSES.

When kings went to war alongside their armies back in the day, who did
    they
    leave in charge? The priests, Why? Because the priests would put the
    "fear
    of God" into the masses to keep them under control. And even when the
    king
    WAS there, the priests still did the same thing.

But yes, I do like to debate religion.

Jeff in Australia.

---

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ WINTENTEN - wintenten.noip.me
  • From Argelian@VERT/DMINE to Jeff Friend on Sun Apr 24 18:00:00 2016
    -=[ On 04-24-16 09:42, Jeff Friend wrote to Thuff below: ]=-
    -=[ Re: Re: Is this area dead? ]=-

Hi Jeff Friend!

And if the Earth IS the age that the bible works it out to be, no more than 6000 years old, how do yo account for the fossils that have been carbon dated to at least millions of years old? Last I heard, carbon dating was accourate to within +/- 1000 years. Dinosaur bones dated to over 50 million years old fall way out of the 6000 years that the bible would have us believe. Some will try to tell you that carbon dating is
    not 100% accurate. My reply to them is "And the word of mouth, spoken
    over years, told and retold down the generations is 100% accurate?"
    You are absolutely within your right to believe what you believe. Have you considered that many ancient civilizations all have a flood myth that depicts a global flood? The epic of Gilgamesh (Sumarian) for example. Noah's flood in Genesis. Could it be that a catastrophe that extreme could possibly skew the carbon dating process?

Cheers,

Bryan
    Email: bhandfield(at)me(dot)com

... Words, words, words. And no place to put them all!
    --- MultiMail/Darwin v0.50
    ■ Synchronet ■ Diamond Mine Online - bbs.dmine.net - Fredericksburg, VA USA
  • From Jeff Friend@VERT/MORDOR to Thuff on Thu Apr 28 12:08:26 2016
    By: Thuff to Jeff Friend on Sun Apr 24 2016 09:41 am

It appears you have multiple concerns, that's fine. I won't try to respond to all of them but if you have single questions not lumped into full page articles I will be happy to to oblige.

So I assume you believe in Evolution vs Creation? I believe in Creation.

Have you actually read the Bible or just pieces of it here and there? Or just heard people talk about it? I have read it several times and continue studying it.

I'm just trying to discern what you do believe as a starting point.

I do believe in evolution as that can be proven. Most of what is in the bible is hearsay and gossip.

Like I said, my belief in evolution over creation is obvious, "who was there to witness the events in Genesis 1 to say that is what really happened?". As for evolution, fossilised bones, links between various species of animals on the planet proven via DNA.

Yes, there may have been a guy named Jesus, but for such a powerful man, where is the physical evidence that he even existed? For such an important figure in religion, why are there only hearsay and speculation and even alot of those who "study" religion have varying views on what is real and what is not.

Wasn't the bible written hundreds of years AFTER the death of "Jesus"? Or at least the chapters of it were put together in order to create the bible? These chapters, wasn't there MANY that did not make it into the bible because they went against what the church wanted in there?

Yet, fossils tell no lies, make no excuses, are physical proof that evolution happened.

I am not a 100% athiest either. I believe "something" started life on Earth, I just don't believe the bible's version.

Jeff in Australia.

---
  • From Jeff Friend@VERT/MORDOR to Argelian on Thu Apr 28 12:14:51 2016
    By: Argelian to Jeff Friend on Sun Apr 24 2016 02:00 pm

You are absolutely within your right to believe what you believe. Have you considered that many ancient civilizations all have a flood myth that depict global flood? The epic of Gilgamesh (Sumarian) for example. Noah's flood i Genesis. Could it be that a catastrophe that extreme could possibly skew th carbon dating process?

I highly doubt that. The samples used in DNA testing and carbon dating are not scraped off the outer surfaces of the bones, but the inside which is protected from most elements. I cannot say for 100% certainty that carbon dating is 100% accurate, nor is DNA as there MAY be some contaminent in the specimen. But they often take multiple specimens to test from various areas of the testing subject.

As for floods depicted, isn't that just the natural weather patterns of the planet? Back in the days 000's of years ago, when the entire planet was just the known area of where they live, if a flood happened during a rain, wouldn't that be seen as a "global flood"? If I lived in a jungle and never saw more than 10 kilometers from my house, and a huge rain flooded the area, as far as I know, that would be global.

Jeff

---