• NCAA bracket ... in ANSI

From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to All on Mon Mar 18 12:47:14 2019
    For many years I've wanted to implement an NCAA bracket in ANSI, since I have coded projects for use in print and online at the newspaper where I work.

But I always forget about it until it's too late.

It almost happened again this year, but I managed to at least squeak out a prototype. It's lacking tons of features I intend to implement, but it can do at least one thing: display the bracket.

Works at any terminal size, too.

If you'd like to try it, it's on my board: guardian.synchro.net.

Look inside Externals > Information

Finally, just want to re-emphasize that this is a bare-bones experiment. I haven't even had time to write up an explanatory intro screen. So here's how it works: arrow keys navigate the bracket. Q, X, or [ESC] will get you out of the bracket.

--Josh

////--------------------------------------------------
    BiC -=- http://breakintochat.com -=- bbs wiki and blog

---
    ■ Synchronet
  • From Dmxrob@VERT/STLWEST to Kirkman on Mon Mar 18 16:13:15 2019
    Re: NCAA bracket ... in ANSI
    By: Kirkman to All on Mon Mar 18 2019 08:47 am

It almost happened again this year, but I managed to at least squeak out a prototype. It's lacking tons of features I intend to implement, but it can do at least one thing: display the bracket.

If you'd like to try it, it's on my board: guardian.synchro.net.

it works: arrow keys navigate the bracket. Q, X, or [ESC] will get you out of the bracket.

Very cool! I went over there and gave it a shot - this is a great first step! Stuff like this, where people can use it to track certain events, especially sports, I think is what keeps people willing to at least try out a BBS!

Just one thing I noticed: Q, X and [ESC] didn't work -- but hitting Enter did work to get me out of it :-)

dmxrob ■ BBSing from St. Louis, Missouri since 1988

---
    ■ Synchronet ■ Gateway to the West - St. Louis, Missouri - bbs.homelabber.net
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to Dmxrob on Tue Mar 19 00:55:46 2019
    Re: NCAA bracket ... in ANSI
    By: Dmxrob to Kirkman on Mon Mar 18 2019 12:13 pm

Very cool! I went over there and gave it a shot - this is a great first step! Stuff like this, where people can use it to track certain events, especially sports, I think is what keeps people willing to at least try out a BBS!

Thanks! Eventually I'd love to make a full-blown picks game, but that will require a lot more effort. For now my intention is to make a live-updating bracket where you can follow either the men or the women's tournament.

Just one thing I noticed: Q, X and [ESC] didn't work -- but hitting Enter did work to get me out of it :-)

Sorry, bad variable name. It's fixed now, along with some of the team names that weren't abbreviating properly. More features to come later this week.

--Josh

////--------------------------------------------------
    BiC -=- http://breakintochat.com -=- bbs wiki and blog

---
    ■ Synchronet