• Darkness 2.0

From Warpslide@21:3/110 to All on Sat Jun 13 03:17:33 2020
    Hi Guys,

I'm a relative newcomer back to the BBS scene, so forgive me if everyone already knows about this.

Have you played the Darkness 2.0 door game? It's awesome!

It's written by Jack Phlash & is heavily inspired by LORD. It takes place in
    a post-apocolyptic world with x number of fights per day, level ups, various weapons & armour along with some extras that LORD didn't have like Cyberdecks
    & Nanostitcher Healing.

I'm just getting started in the game, so I'm looking forward to working my
    way through it. It's nice to find a new high quality door game in 2020.

When I went to re-setup a BBS, of course I went & installed as many of
    the "classic" door games I had running back in the late 90's - LORD, Planets, BRE, etc.

I then got to wondering if anything new came out after I left the scene,
    that's when I came across Darkness 2.0 on an all-RIP board. (Darkness
    doesn't appear to have RIP graphics, that's just where I discovered it).

According to the version information, it looks like 2.0 came out Jan 2020 and has some familiar names in the credits for helping test: Xqtr & Maskreet.

It's available on DoorParty ("The official beta test host") and can also be downloaded from:

https://jackphla.sh/darkness

The author offers free registration just by asking via email, though the unregistered version is not crippled in any way.

Jay
    (Not affiliated w/ the game/author in any way, just really like game & think you should try it). ;)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Northern Realms BBS | bbs.nrbbs.net | Binbrook, ON (21:3/110)
  • From xqtr@21:1/111 to Warpslide on Sat Jun 13 22:32:09 2020

Yep, it's a very good and addictive game :) I played a lot when it was in testing mode, before the official release. You can also find some hint's and tips for it at issue x008 of NULL mag. ;)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Another Droid BBS # andr01d.zapto.org:9999 (21:1/111)
  • From Warpslide@21:3/110 to xqtr on Sat Jun 13 17:48:51 2020
    On 13 Jun 2020, xqtr said the following...

Yep, it's a very good and addictive game :) I played a lot when it was in testing mode, before the official release. You can also find some hint's and tips for it at issue x008 of NULL mag. ;)

Sweet, I'll check it out! Thanks!

Jay

• From mastermind@21:1/101 to Warpslide on Sun Jun 14 13:29:54 2020
    On 12 Jun 2020 at 11:17p, Warpslide pondered and said...

Hi Guys,

I'm a relative newcomer back to the BBS scene, so forgive me if everyone already knows about this.

Yea, its pretty much my favorite door game in 2020! And, all of the people involved are accessable in the current BBS scene. It's totally awesome that this stuff is still kicking in 2020 - glad you found it, glad you posted
    about it; these people involved need to know that we, the end users, LOVE
    their hard work.

Thanks JP, xtqr and ET ALL@Darkness 2.0.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/05/28 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From dejavu@21:3/114 to Warpslide on Sat Jun 13 22:54:51 2020
    Hey Warpslide,

I'm just coming back into the BBS scene and just installed Mystic BBS and linked with fxsnet, however I'm having trouble synchronizing the files
    sections as such, especially the doors areas.

Do you have any cycles where you could jump start me in getting Darkness 2.0, and other game doors installed in Mystic? Back in the day doors were not "networked", I'm assuming games such as Darkness 2.0 are all networked
    between all the bulletin board systems nowadays?

-Dejavu

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/32)
    * Origin: 1984 BBS | FOR LIBERTY & FREEDOM! | 1984BBS.NET (21:3/114)
  • From maskreet@21:1/114 to dejavu on Sun Jun 14 00:22:10 2020
    On 13 Jun 2020, dejavu said the following...

Do you have any cycles where you could jump start me in getting Darkness 2.0, and other game doors installed in Mystic? Back in the day doors were not "networked", I'm assuming games such as Darkness 2.0 are all networked between all the bulletin board systems nowadays?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I can answer.

Doors can still be installed locally, no problem. It's just that with the
    much smaller user base, and people installing BBSes on different
    OSes (Linux, Pi, etc) it just makes it easier to run games from door servers. Less hassle of maintenance and setup, as well.

You can check out wiki.mysticbbs.com, I believe there's a section there on
    how to get doors working in Mystic.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/05/16 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: throwbackbbs.com -\- meriden, ct -\- (21:1/114)
  • From dejavu@21:3/114 to maskreet on Sun Jun 14 01:45:56 2020
    On 13 Jun 2020, maskreet said the following...

Do you have any cycles where you could jump start me in getting Darkn 2.0, and other game doors installed in Mystic? Back in the day door were not "networked", I'm assuming games such as Darkness 2.0 are all networked between all the bulletin board systems nowadays?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I can answer.

Doors can still be installed locally, no problem. It's just that with the much smaller user base, and people installing BBSes on different
    OSes (Linux, Pi, etc) it just makes it easier to run games from door servers. Less hassle of maintenance and setup, as well.

Hey maskreet, thanks for the response. Mystic is new to me, I'm finding it extremely difficult to follow any simple installation guides, it seems everything is written as if the installer has installed add-ons to Mystic,
    when it fact everything I am trying is for the first time :)

You can check out wiki.mysticbbs.com, I believe there's a section there on how to get doors working in Mystic.

Thanks, I'll check the wiki again.

* Origin: 1984 BBS | 1984BBS.NET | Washington, DC (21:3/114)
  • From Warpslide@21:3/110 to dejavu on Sun Jun 14 13:46:22 2020

Hey maskreet, thanks for the response. Mystic is new to me, I'm finding it extremely difficult to follow any simple installation guides, it seems everything is written as if the installer has installed add-ons to
    Mystic, when it fact everything I am trying is for the first time :)

Have you seen Paul (a.k.a Avon)'s videos on YouTube yet?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPOUHszVXaGNSlK3AdI7kLQ/featured

I found those videos to be of enormous help, especially with the message networks.

As for Door Games, I have all of mine installed locally. I'm running Windows 10 (32 bit) to makes things easier with running older door games like LORD, Planets, etc. With older door games, you'll need to load a fossil driver (http://pcmicro.com/netfoss/download.html) before loading the game.

The downside to this approach is door games won't work through SSH, only through Telnet & RLogin.

Newer games like Darkness however don't require a fossil driver to work if you're using the 32 bit version, making them a little easier to install. With Darkness, I didn't even need to create a batch file to switch it to the proper directory first.

Here's my Mystic menu setup for LORD:

Command: D3
    Data:
    c:\mystic\netfoss\nf.bat /N%3 /H%0 c:\mystic\doors\lord\start.bat %3

nf.bat is included with NetFoss & start.bat is included with LORD. I only modified them to either add a %1 to line 3 with nf.bat or to switch it to the proper path with start.bat.

And my Mystic menu setup for Darkness:

Data: c:\mystic\doors\dark\dark32.exe /N%3

Jay

• From dejavu@21:3/114 to Warpslide on Sun Jun 14 14:34:54 2020
    On 14 Jun 2020, Warpslide said the following...

On 13 Jun 2020, dejavu said the following... Wa> a> de> Hey maskreet,
    thanks for the response. Mystic is new to me, I'm find Wa> de> it extremely difficult to follow any simple installation guides, it s Wa> de> everything is written as if the installer has installed add-ons to Wa> de> Mystic, when it fact everything I am trying is for the first time :)

Have you seen Paul (a.k.a Avon)'s videos on YouTube yet? Wa> Wa>
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPOUHszVXaGNSlK3AdI7kLQ/featured Wa>

Hey Warpslide. Yes, absolutely. I decided to go with Mystic BBS because of Paul's videos and those videos got me here and linked to the fsxNet. If it weren't for his videos I wouldn't have known about this place or be linked right now.

I found those videos to be of enormous help, especially with the message networks.

Paul's videos a tremendous help to getting the message networks established, however as far as the topic of file bases, and games, not so much. I'm
    stuck with no clear path to move forward.

I'd would really like push for a weekly or bi-weekly MRC chat session for fsxNet networked SysOps to join to help onboard new fsxNet SysOp's. The MRC chat addon is pretty slick now, it connects to one server and then any user
    on any BBS can chat with the SysOp of that system and all the users of that particular BBS.

As for Door Games,
    I have all of mine installed locally. I'm running Wa> Windows 10 (32 bit)
    to makes things easier with running older door games Wa> like LORD, Planets, etc. With older door games, you'll need to load a Wa> fossil driver (http://pcmicro.com/netfoss/download.html) before loading Wa> the game.

The downside to this approach is door games won't
    work through SSH, only Wa> through Telnet & RLogin.

Newer games like Darkness however don't require a fossil driver to work
    if you're using the 32 bit version, making them a little easier to
    install. With Darkness, I didn't even need to create a batch file to switch it to the proper directory first.

Here's my Mystic menu setup for LORD:

Data:
    c:\mystic\netfoss\nf.bat /N%3 /H%0 c:\mystic\doors\lord\start.bat %3

nf.bat is included with NetFoss & start.bat is included with LORD. I
    only modified them to either add a %1 to line 3 with nf.bat or to switch
    it to the proper path with start.bat.

And my Mystic menu setup for Darkness:

Data: c:\mystic\doors\dark\dark32.exe /N%3

Thank you for all this information. I will work on implementing doors when I get a handful of items that are non-working functional again.

Thanks again!
    -Dejavu

Jay

* Origin: 1984 BBS | 1984BBS.NET | Washington, DC (21:3/114)
  • From maskreet@21:1/114 to dejavu on Sun Jun 14 15:57:24 2020

Hey maskreet, thanks for the response. Mystic is new to me, I'm finding it extremely difficult to follow any simple installation guides, it seems everything is written as if the installer has installed add-ons to
    Mystic, when it fact everything I am trying is for the first time :)

It's a little bit of a learning curve, but it's not too bad. Once you start getting the hang of things, it'll be a ton easier. Plus, there's a bunch of people on here that are willing to help out.

• From Robert Wolfe@21:2/136 to Dejavu on Sun Jun 14 18:04:46 2020
    Do you have any cycles where you could jump start me in getting Darkness 2.0
    and other game doors installed in Mystic? Back in the day doors were not "networked", I'm assuming games such as Darkness 2.0 are all networked between all the bulletin board systems nowadays?

Not all doors have this feature.

... Ever caught yourself reading Taglines and skipping messages!
    --- Wildcat! v10.0.454.10 (May 26 2020), Editor Mod v2.1
    * Origin: Lean Angle BBS * Southaven MS * winserver.org (21:2/136)
  • From MIKE POWELL@21:4/10 to WARPSLIDE on Sun Jun 14 17:12:00 2020
    │ Have you played the Darkness 2.0 door game? It's awesome!

Yes, I have. It is avaliable online here. It is awesome. Seems a little
    more challenging than LORD is.

Mike

##Mmr 2.61ß. !link W 6-12-20 23:17
    ---
    ■ BgNet 1.0ß12 ≈ FSX * Moe's Tavern * 1-502-875-8938 * moetiki.ddns.net:27
    * Origin: fsxNet FTN<>QWK Gateway (21:4/10)