• Long Weekend

From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Sat Jun 1 18:03:35 2019
    It's around 2pm on Saturday as I type this. We're having a 3 day weekend as Monday is a public holiday - Queens Birthday. I thought the drive into work
    on Friday seemed easier but it was not until later in the day the penny
    dropped and I realised a number of people probably took the day off to make
    it a 4 day weekend.

Today is 1 June here and the first day of Winter. Outside we're dealing with temps around 6c and lows just a few degrees lower. It's been raining all day and it feels rather dull and gloomy. The leaves have all but dropped from
    most of the trees that loose them for Winter.

I'm planning on spending some time on BBSing and also want to watch a few
    more movies as it seems the ideal time to do so. Certainly not a day/weekend for much outdoors work. That said I did spend 30 mins outside after I got up this morning and chopped out some branches from a large shrub that we're
    slowly trying to remove off our property. I use some large gardening loppers and chop a few branches up at a time and feed them into a green wheelie bin
    we have that gets emptied each Monday. So slowly the thing is disappearing.

Movie wise I just finished the Godfather trilogy and agree the 3rd film is
    not as good but I still enjoyed them all. My wife likes James Bond movies so
    we seem to be watching a few of those at the moment. It's almost like Friday night is a Bond movie night at present :)

Yep you know it's cooler when you have hot soup and cheese on toast for lunch :) Work has been quite busy of late with a bunch of differing projects I am working on. One member of our wider team resigned and left a few weeks ago. They have not yet replaced him and I'm wondering how many months may go by before they do. It's amazing to realise that we're in the sixth month of the year already and before we know it it seems like it will be Christmas tunes
    on the radio etc. again - yipes!

Anywhoo I hope you all are well and having a good weekend / Friday.

Best, Paul

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Avon on Sat Jun 1 01:01:32 2019
    On 01 Jun 2019, Avon said the following...

It's around 2pm on Saturday as I type this. We're having a 3 day weekend as Monday is a public holiday - Queens Birthday. I thought the drive

It about 2100 Friday night here. We just had a long weekend last weekend. It was our Memorial Day on Monday.

Today is 1 June here and the first day of Winter. Outside we're dealing with temps around 6c and lows just a few degrees lower. It's been
    raining all day and it feels rather dull and gloomy. The leaves have all but dropped from most of the trees that loose them for Winter.

I still have troubles wrapping my head around that. All my life, I've known that the seasons were different in the Southern Hemisphere, but it still
    seems wrong to me... :)

It actually looks like we may be staying warm now. The last month or so, it would warm up for a few days, and then cool off again. Today was about 85F (30C). Next week we're looking at temps closer to 90F (32C). Bring on
    summer!!! ;)

many months may go by before they do. It's amazing to realise that we're in the sixth month of the year already and before we know it it seems
    like it will be Christmas tunes on the radio etc. again - yipes!

Don't say that... The older we get, the faster they years go...

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS
    telnet://bbs.castlerockbbs.com
    http://www.castlerockbbs.com
    The sparrows are flying again....

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Castle Rock BBS - bbs.castlerockbbs.com (21:1/186)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Black Panther on Sat Jun 1 19:31:20 2019
    On 31 May 2019 at 09:01p, Black Panther pondered and said...

I still have troubles wrapping my head around that. All my life, I've known that the seasons were different in the Southern Hemisphere, but it still seems wrong to me... :)

You're having troubles :) Spare a thought for the dude freezing his kahones off :) Hahahah

• From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Avon on Sat Jun 1 01:58:42 2019
    On 01 Jun 2019, Avon said the following...

I still have troubles wrapping my head around that. All my life, I've known that the seasons were different in the Southern Hemisphere, but still seems wrong to me... :)

You're having troubles :) Spare a thought for the dude freezing his kahones off :) Hahahah

I can imagine it's the same for you... :) For what it's worth, I've got the windows open, and have a nice breeze flowing through the house, as I sit here in shorts... ;)

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS
    telnet://bbs.castlerockbbs.com
    http://www.castlerockbbs.com
    The sparrows are flying again....

* Origin: Castle Rock BBS - bbs.castlerockbbs.com (21:1/186)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Black Panther on Sat Jun 1 23:59:07 2019
    On 31 May 2019 at 09:58p, Black Panther pondered and said...

I can imagine it's the same for you... :) For what it's worth, I've got the windows open, and have a nice breeze flowing through the house, as I sit here in shorts... ;)

I lugged four baskets of firewood in this evening and burnt a fair chunk of
    it keeping the house warm.. Heh

• From Va7aqd@21:4/150 to Avon on Sat Jun 1 05:40:29 2019
    Re: Re: Long Weekend
    By: Avon to Black Panther on Sat Jun 01 2019 03:31 pm

You're having troubles :) Spare a thought for the dude freezing his kahones
    off :) Hahahah

At 7C *above*?

We had -20C much of February!
    --- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
    * Origin: VA7AQD's Tavern in Kamloops, BC! - bbs.isurf.ca (21:4/150)
  • From esc@21:1/112 to Black Panther on Sat Jun 1 08:48:53 2019

Me too! Then again, I live in a pretty idyllic spot in California,
    so...that's basically the entire year :P

* Origin: Black Flag <ACiD Telnet HQ> blackflagbbs.com (21:1/112)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Va7aqd on Sun Jun 2 02:01:52 2019
    On 01 Jun 2019 at 01:40a, Va7aqd pondered and said...

At 7C *above*?

OK you're are colder than mine :)

• From Jagossel@21:1/150 to Avon on Sat Jun 1 14:57:58 2019
    Re: Long Weekend
    By: Avon to All on Sat Jun 01 2019 02:03 pm

Today is 1 June here and the first day of Winter. Outside we're dealing with temps around 6c and lows just a few degrees lower. It's been raining all day and it feels rather dull and gloomy. The leaves have all but dropped from most of the trees that loose them for Winter.

Here in the north-western hemisphere, we are dealing with unseasonibly hot weather, typical of summer approaching here. At least in South Carolina, USA, it has been reaching into the triple digits Fahrenheit (~38 Celcius). I would hate to see what Florida is lkke at the moment. We could use some rain and a good thunderstorm, it's been sunny and hot for a few weeks now. It also means that we are approaching hurricane season, so I will be watching for reports from the National Hurricane Center (a division of our government-funded weather people, NOAA [National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration]).

I'm planning on spending some time on BBSing and also want to watch a few more movies as it seems the ideal time to do so. Certainly not a day/weekend for much outdoors work. That said I did spend 30 mins outside after I got up this morning and chopped out some branches from a large shrub that we're slowly trying to remove off our property. I use some large gardening loppers and chop a few branches up at a time and feed them into a green wheelie bin we have that gets emptied each Monday. So slowly the thing is disappearing.

I was out mowing the lawn for the first time since we moved here three years ago (was using a weed eater to trim the lawns with). I had the sprinkler systems on once this weekend, but it looks like they need to be repaired. It looked like only two sprinkler heads were working, but the rest appeared to be stuck. So, I need to take a look into why that's happening.

Yep you know it's cooler when you have hot soup and cheese on toast for lunch :) Work has been quite busy of late with a bunch of differing projects I am working on. One member of our wider team resigned and left a few weeks ago. They have not yet replaced him and I'm wondering how many months may go by before they do.

Hmm... tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich does sound appealing. :) I recenlty started a new job a month ago after leaving another one that I was in for 10 years. This new job is busy, but being a contractor now means I don't work overtime like I had been doing for weeks at my old job. The pay is much better now, and I am enjoying the low-stress situation now.

Anywhoo I hope you all are well and having a good weekend / Friday.

Thanks, Paul! I hope you enjoy your long weekend. Next month will be the USA's Independence Day and my dad would like for all of his kids to come over for that weekend. Which means I will have to work late that week to handle the day off and still get a full-weeks of pay (the drawback of being a contractor, no paid holidays or vacation).

-jag
    Code it, Script it, Automate it!
    --- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
    * Origin: Disconnected Reality -- discreal.synchronetbbs.org (21:1/150)
  • From Va7aqd@21:4/150 to Avon on Sat Jun 1 15:13:57 2019
    By: Avon to Va7aqd on Sat Jun 01 2019 10:01 pm

At 7C *above*?

"We're so cold, that at 7C we get out the sunscreen!" Haha...

That said, I am very aware of the differences in climate, too. When I lived in Vancouver, when the temps were still on the plus side but approaching 0, it was
    miserable, and could be a very piercing cold. Here in Kamloops, which is a semi-arid desert, things are definitely cool once it starts to freeze, and -20 is pretty cold, but living in -5 to -10 a bunch of the winter is really nothing. I prefer it to the damp cold most days.

So, I'm only half mocking the freezing at above zero. ;-)
    --- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
  • From Al@21:4/106 to Avon on Sat Jun 1 15:23:50 2019
    On 01 Jun 2019 at 01:40a, Va7aqd pondered and said...

At 7C *above*?

In the winter maybe. ATM it's 27C here and they are calling for 31C later in the day. We don't generaly get temp like that til July.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (21:4/106)
  • From MeaTLoTioN@21:1/158 to Al on Sun Jun 2 00:00:06 2019
    In the winter maybe. ATM it's 27C here and they are calling for 31C
    later in the day. We don't generaly get temp like that til July.

It was 24C here today, and last year temps in august got to about 28C-30C on the odd occasion. That's pretty hot for the UK. There was talk on the news
    that we "might" be in for a 3 month heatwave... which is likely to bring
    temps to ~35C-37C but the next day they said that the next few weeks look
    like they're going to be cooler and have highs of like 18C-20C.

The UK weather is very predictably unpredictable. I think it might snow later this month o.O

---
    |14Best regards,
    |11Ch|03rist|11ia|15n |11a|03ka |11Me|03aTLoT|11io|15N

|07── |08[|10eml|08] |15ml@erb.pw |07── |08[|10web|08] |15www.erb.pw |07───┐ |07── |08[|09fsx|08] |1521:1/158 |07── |08[|11tqw|08] |151337:1/101 |07┬──┘ |07── |08[|12rtn|08] |1580:774/81 |07─┬ |08[|14fdn|08] |152:250/5 |07───┘
    |07── |08[|10ark|08] |1510:104/2 |07─┘

* Origin: The Quantum Wormhole, Ramsgate, UK. bbs.erb.pw (21:1/158)
  • From Blue White@21:4/134 to Avon on Sat Jun 1 16:21:06 2019
    Avon wrote to All <=-

It's around 2pm on Saturday as I type this. We're having a 3 day
    weekend as Monday is a public holiday - Queens Birthday. I thought the drive into work on Friday seemed easier but it was not until later in
    the day the penny dropped and I realised a number of people probably
    took the day off to make it a 4 day weekend.

We in the US had our long start-to-Summer weekend last weekend... Memorial
    Day. I also took the 4-day option. :)

Today is 1 June here and the first day of Winter. Outside we're dealing with temps around 6c and lows just a few degrees lower. It's been
    raining all day and it feels rather dull and gloomy. The leaves have
    all but dropped from most of the trees that loose them for Winter.

In a couple of weeks, I shall be longing for 6c temps as Summer kicks in. :)

I'm planning on spending some time on BBSing and also want to watch a
    few more movies as it seems the ideal time to do so. Certainly not a

Winter is when I try to catch up on my BBS (and other indoor hobby)
    projects also. It is more difficult to do in the Summer although, if we
    get any crazy hot weekends and I don't have plans, they will be similar to Winter ones. :)

... DalekDOS v(overflow): (I)Obey (V)ision impaired (E)xterminate
    --- MultiMail
    * Origin: Possum Lodge South * possumso.fsxnet.nz:7636/SSH:2122 (21:4/134)
  • From Al@21:4/106 to MeaTLoTioN on Sat Jun 1 16:31:18 2019
    It was 24C here today, and last year temps in august got to about 28C-30C on the odd occasion. That's pretty hot for the UK. There was talk on the news that we "might" be in for a 3 month heatwave... which is likely to bring temps to ~35C-37C but the next day they said that the next few weeks look like they're going to be cooler and have highs of like 18C-20C.

It's 29C here now and climbing. I like the warm weather but I can wait for the summertime.

The UK weather is very predictably unpredictable. I think it might snow later this month o.O

The last two years BC has set records for wildfires. There are a greater than average number of fires burning now in northern BC and a huge fire in northern Alberta that is causing a lot of trouble for people.

There is also a fire (a small one I think) burning south of here. Looking south
    I don't see the sky or horizon, just smoke.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
  • From LockeDown@21:2/148 to esc on Sat Jun 1 19:36:39 2019
    On 01 Jun 2019, esc said the following...

I can imagine it's the same for you... :) For what it's worth, I've g the windows open, and have a nice breeze flowing through the house, a sit here in shorts... ;)

Me too! Then again, I live in a pretty idyllic spot in California, so...that's basically the entire year :P

At least I am not the only one out here that has to feel bad for everyone else's weather.

Although it is much cooler than usual for this time of year -- I'll take it over the alternative.

|07-|15LockeDown |07|08(|07SysOp|08) |08[|07mysticisland|08.|07strangled|08.|07net|08]

* Origin: Mystic Island BBS [mysticisland.strangled.net] (21:2/148)
  • From MeaTLoTioN@21:1/158 to Al on Sun Jun 2 05:38:48 2019
    On 01 Jun 2019, Al said the following...

It's 29C here now and climbing. I like the warm weather but I can wait
    for the summertime.

I hear you

The last two years BC has set records for wildfires. There are a greater than average number of fires burning now in northern BC and a huge fire
    in northern Alberta that is causing a lot of trouble for people.

There is also a fire (a small one I think) burning south of here.
    Looking south I don't see the sky or horizon, just smoke.

Ohh no, that's not good, I hope no one has been hurt by them.
    We had some wildfires last year, the two biggest I can think of were around Manchester area and it burnt through ~7 square miles.

---
    |14Best regards,

|07── |08[|10eml|08] |15ml@erb.pw |07── |08[|10web|08] |15www.erb.pw |07───┐ |07── |08[|09fsx|08] |1521:1/158 |07── |08[|11tqw|08] |151337:1/101 |07┬──┘ |07── |08[|12rtn|08] |1580:774/81 |07─┬ |08[|14fdn|08] |152:250/5 |07───┘

• From Al@21:4/106 to MeaTLoTioN on Sat Jun 1 23:06:46 2019
    There is also a fire (a small one I think) burning south of here.
    Looking south I don't see the sky or horizon, just smoke.

Ohh no, that's not good, I hope no one has been hurt by them.

I don't think so but it can create problems for folks in the vicinity. Some areas like Williams Lake took a lot of damage and a number of homes were destroyed.

We had some wildfires last year, the two biggest I can think of were around Manchester area and it burnt through ~7 square miles.

I suppose wildfires are a natural thing that needs to happen. I forget the number exactly but several hundred thousand hectares burned up here last year.

There was a fire in 2003 not far from here. It started from a lightning strike in Okanagan Mountain Park. It was a small fire that wasn't considered dangerous. It soon became a firestorm that forced the evacuation of 27,000 people and destroyed 239 homes and consumed 25,000 hectares.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
  • From Va7aqd@21:4/150 to MeaTLoTioN on Sat Jun 1 23:37:22 2019
    By: MeaTLoTioN to Al on Sun Jun 02 2019 01:38 am

We had some wildfires last year, the two biggest I can think of were around
    Manchester area and it burnt through ~7 square
    miles.

While the area is, for the most part, sparsely populated, one of the northern Alberta wild fires is about 2,800 sq. km. There are a number of evacuations going on... an example bit of news:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/high-level-wildfire-grows-to-nearly-half-the-size -of-fort-mcmurray-blaze-1.4447549
    --- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Avon on Sat Jun 1 23:24:00 2019
    On 06-01-19 14:03, Avon wrote to All <=-

It's around 2pm on Saturday as I type this. We're having a 3 day
    weekend as Monday is a public holiday - Queens Birthday. I thought the drive into work on Friday seemed easier but it was not until later in
    the day the penny dropped and I realised a number of people probably
    took the day off to make it a 4 day weekend.

Queens Birthday is next weekend here. This weekend is a regular 2 day weekend, one more week to the long weekend for me. :)

raining all day and it feels rather dull and gloomy. The leaves have
    all but dropped from most of the trees that loose them for Winter.

Was a nice, mostly sunny 15C day here.

I'm planning on spending some time on BBSing and also want to watch a
    few more movies as it seems the ideal time to do so. Certainly not a day/weekend for much outdoors work. That said I did spend 30 mins
    outside after I got up this morning and chopped out some branches from
    a large shrub that we're slowly trying to remove off our property. I
    use some large gardening loppers and chop a few branches up at a time
    and feed them into a green wheelie bin we have that gets emptied each Monday. So slowly the thing is disappearing.

I have to prune a few trees over winter that are getting out of hand. But for me, today was the usual sports day. Started with Parkrun in the morning. I didn't run, but volunteered as the timekeeper. Besides getting my volunteer count up towards the coveted "purple shirt" 25, the other reason was that I planned to run at least 3km later in the day, and adding another 5 would put me over the 5-6k max that I want to run in a given day. That limit is there, so I don't overdo endurance (and lose too much speed).

I did run cross country in the afternoon - 3.332km in 15:28, which was 4:40/km.
    This is the fastest run around 3k I've done so far this season.

Now I'm settling down to a 90s classic - Babylon 5. :)

Tomorrow, it's back to the track for some training, and hopefully a bit of gym work afterwards.

So far, the indications are looking good for next summer. :)

... Have you ever asked a question you weren't supposed to ask?
    === MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)
  • From esc@21:1/112 to LockeDown on Sun Jun 2 05:41:55 2019
    Me too! Then again, I live in a pretty idyllic spot in California, so...that's basically the entire year :P

At least I am not the only one out here that has to feel bad for everyone else's weather.

Apparently it's one of the coldest and wettest years on record. I fear what kind of stasis we're going to be in over the coming years :/

* Origin: Black Flag <ACiD Telnet HQ> blackflagbbs.com (21:1/112)
  • From nathanael@21:4/123 to Al on Sun Jun 2 19:22:40 2019
    In the winter maybe. ATM it's 27C here and they are calling for 31C

We hit 34C today. By July it'll be pushing 40C. But the typhoons help to keep things cooler.

Last year we had a really disappointing typhoon season.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: *HUMONGOUS* BBS (jenandcal.familyds.org:2323) (21:4/123)
  • From nathanael@21:4/123 to Blue White on Sun Jun 2 19:26:08 2019
    We in the US had our long start-to-Summer weekend last weekend...
    Memorial Day. I also took the 4-day option. :)

This coming weekend in Taiwan is Dragon Boat festival. Three days full of dragon boat racing, day- and night-markets (sort of the equivalent of
    carnivals in the US), extreme crowds and sweltering weather.

I generally just stay home.

• From Al@21:4/106 to nathanael on Sun Jun 2 06:40:18 2019
    We hit 34C today. By July it'll be pushing 40C. But the typhoons help to keep things cooler.

We'll likely level out around 36C here during the summer.

May all of your typhoons be disappointing.. :)

I do hope you live inland and on high ground.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Al on Mon Jun 3 01:59:20 2019
    On 02 Jun 2019 at 02:40a, Al pondered and said...

I love the way typhoons ended up in a post I made at the start of my day
    about a long weekend :)

• From Netsurge@21:4/154 to Vk3jed on Sun Jun 2 12:17:49 2019
    Queens Birthday is next weekend here. This weekend is a regular 2 day weekend, one more week to the long weekend for me. :)

The Queens birthday is all over the place, it was a few weeks ago here in Canada.

I'd like to have my birthday spread out over a few weeks too.

frank%netsurge%demonic
    disksh0p!bbs // bbs.diskshop.ca // mystic goodness

* Origin: !disksh0p!bbs! bbs.diskshop.ca ! mystic goodness ! (21:4/154)
  • From Al@21:4/106 to Avon on Sun Jun 2 14:21:32 2019
    I love the way typhoons ended up in a post I made at the start of my day about a long weekend :)

Yep, better shutter up and stay indoors.. :)

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
  • From LockeDown@21:2/148 to esc on Sun Jun 2 14:44:40 2019
    On 02 Jun 2019, esc said the following...
    Apparently it's one of the coldest and wettest years on record. I fear what kind of stasis we're going to be in over the coming years :/

The weather seems to be messed up and unusual everywhere. I think we are
    lucky we just get a couple cooler days and occasional compared to everywhere else dealing with extreme weather differences.

I am sure when it wants to get hot again it will -- and I'll wish I had a
    pool just like every summer. Fortunately my girlfriend's Mom has a place with
    a pool near San Diego we can visit on the weekends when it starts getting hot.

But for now I am enjoying the cooler than expected weather here.

|07-|15LockeDown |07|08(|07SysOp|08) |08[|07mysticisland|08.|07strangled|08.|07net|08]

* Origin: Mystic Island BBS [mysticisland.strangled.net] (21:2/148)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Avon on Sun Jun 2 14:37:00 2019
    Avon wrote to All <=-

Movie wise I just finished the Godfather trilogy and agree the 3rd film
    is not as good but I still enjoyed them all. My wife likes James Bond movies so we seem to be watching a few of those at the moment. It's
    almost like Friday night is a Bond movie night at present :)

I like Sofia Coppola much better behind the camera than in front of
    it. :)

--- MultiMail/XT v0.52
    * Origin: http://realitycheckbbs.org (21:4/122)
  • From MeaTLoTioN@21:1/158 to Al on Sun Jun 2 23:59:28 2019
    On 01 Jun 2019, Al said the following...

I don't think so but it can create problems for folks in the vicinity. Some areas like Williams Lake took a lot of damage and a number of homes were destroyed.

Man that is horrifying.

I suppose wildfires are a natural thing that needs to happen. I forget
    the number exactly but several hundred thousand hectares burned up here last year.

I guess, it's not like we can control where the lightening strikes so to
    speak, and we can only attempt to control the damage left by it.

There was a fire in 2003 not far from here. It started from a lightning strike in Okanagan Mountain Park. It was a small fire that wasn't considered dangerous. It soon became a firestorm that forced the evacuation of 27,000 people and destroyed 239 homes and consumed 25,000 hectares.

Oh wow that's insane! We don't often get much in the way of storms here, at least I rarely hear or see them. According to some UK webpage we get around 200,000 a year on average in the whole of the UK, which I don't suppose is
    much compared to other parts of the world.

I know that where I live, in the last year, I have seen as many lightening storms as I can comfortably count on one hand.

---
    |14Best regards,

• From MeaTLoTioN@21:1/158 to Va7aqd on Mon Jun 3 00:06:07 2019
    On 01 Jun 2019, Va7aqd said the following...

By: MeaTLoTioN to Al on Sun Jun 02 2019 01:38 am

We had some wildfires last year, the two biggest I can think of were ar
    Manchester area and it burnt through ~7 square
    miles.

While the area is, for the most part, sparsely populated, one of the northern Alberta wild fires is about 2,800 sq. km. There are a number
    of evacuations going on... an example bit of news:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/high-level-wildfire-grows-to-nearly-half-the -of-fort-mcmurray-blaze-1.4447549

Man that is crazy! It's so much carnage I can't even comprehend how much that is or what people must be feeling and going through.

---
    |14Best regards,

• From Al@21:4/106 to MeaTLoTioN on Sun Jun 2 17:25:56 2019
    There was a fire in 2003 not far from here. It started from a lightning
    strike in Okanagan Mountain Park. It was a small fire that wasn't
    considered dangerous. It soon became a firestorm that forced the
    evacuation of 27,000 people and destroyed 239 homes and consumed 25,000
    hectares.

Oh wow that's insane! We don't often get much in the way of storms here, at least I rarely hear or see them. According to some UK webpage we get around 200,000 a year on average in the whole of the UK, which I don't suppose is much compared to other parts of the world.

It's normal here to get forest fires in the summer months. We send in the crews
    and they put them out, usually without to much trouble.

These fire storms are not normal. It has become drier and warmer here in the summer so the fires are larger and harder to put out. It's not limited to BC. I've seen such firestorms in California ripping through densely populated areas
    destroying homes and everything else in their path.

I know that where I live, in the last year, I have seen as many lightening storms as I can comfortably count on one hand.

I don't know the numbers but a lot of fires are human caused also.

I grew up on the west coast of BC. The south west part of BC is some kind of rain forest, beautiful old growth forests that are damp most of the time.

That's not the case here in the Okanagan where I live now. We usually get a good dump of snow in the winter but aside from that, very little in the way of rain so as summer progresses it gets drier and warmer.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
  • From nathanael@21:4/123 to Al on Mon Jun 3 13:22:39 2019

I do hope you live inland and on high ground.

I live on the western side of the island, where the mountains shelter us from the majority of typhoons which sweep in from the Pacific side. So mostly we
    get the day off and heavy rain. However, heavy rains do sweep down the
    mountain and (occasionally dangerously) swell the river running through town.

So, yeah, I don't *really* wish for more typhoons, but having grown up in the Midwest, I do have a softspot for major storms -- thunder and lightning being the whipped cream and the cherry :-)

• From nathanael@21:4/123 to Avon on Mon Jun 3 13:24:07 2019
    I love the way typhoons ended up in a post I made at the start of my day about a long weekend :)

Well, typhoons DO cause long weekends -- or something -- so there is some
    sort of logic in there somewhere, if you squint just right :-)

• From Avon@21:1/101 to nathanael on Mon Jun 3 18:02:13 2019
    On 03 Jun 2019 at 09:24a, nathanael pondered and said...

Well, typhoons DO cause long weekends -- or something -- so there is some sort of logic in there somewhere, if you squint just right :-)

I'll give you that one :) But heck I'd hate to see it play out!

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to nathanael on Mon Jun 3 00:41:00 2019
    On 06-02-19 15:26, nathanael wrote to Blue White <=-

We in the US had our long start-to-Summer weekend last weekend...
    Memorial Day. I also took the 4-day option. :)

This coming weekend in Taiwan is Dragon Boat festival. Three days full
    of dragon boat racing, day- and night-markets (sort of the equivalent
    of carnivals in the US), extreme crowds and sweltering weather.

Now that's one thing I have tried - not in an actual race, but went through a short training session on dragon boat racing. I quite enjoyed it, and our instructor was both surprised and impressed by the amount of power I could get to the paddle.

... Coffee - the drink of the wired generation.
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Blue White@21:4/134 to nathanael on Sun Jun 2 23:46:15 2019
    This coming weekend in Taiwan is Dragon Boat festival. Three days full
    of dragon boat racing, day- and night-markets (sort of the equivalent
    of carnivals in the US), extreme crowds and sweltering weather.

I generally just stay home.

Sounds like a good idea. :) I usually spend the Memorial Day here with
    family but we don't go out and do anything in a crowd.

... He does the work of 3 Men...Moe, Larry & Curly
    --- MultiMail
    * Origin: Possum Lodge South * possumso.fsxnet.nz:7636/SSH:2122 (21:4/134)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Netsurge on Mon Jun 3 20:18:00 2019
    On 06-02-19 08:17, Netsurge wrote to Vk3jed <=-

The Queens birthday is all over the place, it was a few weeks ago here
    in Canada.

Sure is! :)

I'd like to have my birthday spread out over a few weeks too.

Hahaha.

Her actual birthday is April 21, I think. If I'm wrong, it's very close to that date (within a few days).

... Dr. Livingston I. Presume (Dr. Presume's full name)
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Al on Mon Jun 3 20:53:00 2019
    On 06-02-19 13:25, Al wrote to MeaTLoTioN <=-

These fire storms are not normal. It has become drier and warmer here
    in the summer so the fires are larger and harder to put out. It's not limited to BC. I've seen such firestorms in California ripping through densely populated areas
    destroying homes and everything else in their path.

We get some wicked firestorms over here. Feb 7, 2009 was the biggest one of them all, which included documented fire tornados - not just fire whierls, but huge tornados, just like in the midwest of the USA, with a bit more heat. One of the first fire tornados I recall being documented struch Canberra during their 2003 bushfires, but the 2009 fires in Victoria also had documented tornados.

That's true here - arson, carelessness/negligence and faulty utilities are a number of common causes here. :( The arson is especially disappointing, because we have strict laws regarding the use of fire in the danger months, including the ability to declare total fire bans on bad days. Unlawful fires can result in hefty fines and/or serious jail time.

We also have youth programs that attempt to redirect unhealthy interest/obsession with fire into more appropriate behaviours.

I grew up on the west coast of BC. The south west part of BC is some
    kind of rain forest, beautiful old growth forests that are damp most of the time.

That's not the case here in the Okanagan where I live now. We usually
    get a good dump of snow in the winter but aside from that, very little
    in the way of rain so as summer progresses it gets drier and warmer.

Australian flora is not only extremely evolved to deal with fire - from armoured trees like the ironbarks common here to many species, which require fire to germinate, and many species that can rebuild their foliage through epicormic growth after a fire, but it is also extremely flammable, since these species that can use fire to grow are going to do better if they burn. Tens of thousands of years of Aboriginal firestick farming have also favoured these fire tolerant and flammable species.

Add to that 40C+ temperatures, himidity below 10%, pre-frontal winds that can exceed 100 km/h and frequent drought, and you have a recipe for a firestorm. Last few seasons, we've dodged a bullet in my part of the state.

... Hope is a good breakfast, but a bad supper.
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Al@21:4/106 to Vk3jed on Tue Jun 4 16:53:48 2019
    We get some wicked firestorms over here. Feb 7, 2009 was the biggest one of
    them all, which included documented fire tornados - not just fire whierls, but >huge tornados, just like in the midwest of the USA, with a bit more heat. One
    of the first fire tornados I recall being documented struch Canberra during their 2003 bushfires, but the 2009 fires in Victoria also had documented tornados.

I think you have warmer/drier weather there than we do here. In the Okanagan it
    is warmer/drier than most of BC. We may see 5-10 days a year where the temps will reach 40C but generaly it gets to 34-36C. In those temps fires seem to come from nowhere. Lightning is a bad one here too, we get lightning with no rain.

In 2016 there was a different fire in northern Alberta in Fort McMurray. I'm not sure how or why that fire started but it caught the town by surprise and did a lot of damage. The first time I saw it, it was burning up some gas startions and cafe's on the outskirts of town. Small buildings quite far apart but the fire still made it's way from building to building.

I saw a video a few days later of a gridlock of people trying to get out. Cars were lined up on a side street and bushes/shrubs/trees/homes would burst into flames right beside them.

I tried to find that video but it's burried somewhere on cbc.ca.

That's true here - arson, carelessness/negligence and faulty utilities are a number of common causes here. :( The arson is especially disappointing, because we have strict laws regarding the use of fire in the danger months, including the ability to declare total fire bans on bad days. Unlawful fires can result in hefty fines and/or serious jail time.

If they can connect you to a fire here you are in big trouble.

Australian flora is not only extremely evolved to deal with fire - from armoured trees like the ironbarks common here to many species, which require fire to germinate, and many species that can rebuild their foliage through
    epicormic growth after a fire, but it is also extremely flammable, since these >species that can use fire to grow are going to do better if they burn. Tens o
    thousands of years of Aboriginal firestick farming have also favoured these fire tolerant and flammable species.

These fires are not good for humans or property but in nature it's just a matter of out with the old and in with the new.

Ecologists here say yeah, it's all very terrible but look at what's happening now!

So I guess it's all good, you just need to keep your stuff out of harms way.

Add to that 40C+ temperatures, himidity below 10%, pre-frontal winds that can exceed 100 km/h and frequent drought, and you have a recipe for a firestorm. Last few seasons, we've dodged a bullet in my part of the state.

In those temps and conditions you guys must be used to fire and are prepared for it.

It's all rather new here and we are still trying to figure out how to prepare for what I guess is inevitable now and better deal with it when it happens.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
  • From nathanael@21:4/123 to Vk3jed on Thu Jun 6 15:24:35 2019
    Now that's one thing I have tried - not in an actual race, but went

Never been in a dragon boat. Saw a real one about ten or fifteen years ago,
    but in Taiwan it's impossible to go anywhere during vacations, so we just sit at home and watch it on TV.

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Al on Wed Jun 5 17:40:00 2019
    On 06-04-19 12:53, Al wrote to Vk3jed <=-

I think you have warmer/drier weather there than we do here. In the Okanagan it
    is warmer/drier than most of BC. We may see 5-10 days a year where the temps will reach 40C but generaly it gets to 34-36C. In those temps
    fires seem to come from nowhere. Lightning is a bad one here too, we
    get lightning with no rain.

We do get very dry conditions here. I have seen RH down to 5%, though 10% is more common. While only 150km from Melbourne, our summer conditions are vastly different, with an average January maximum of 30C (Melb just inder 26), and unlike the coastal regions, we get weeks of 30C+ weather at a time, often 2-3 weeks 35+ at a stretch, with the occasional day in the 40s.

Dry storms to happen here, though luckily, many frontal systems carry enough moisture to have a quick dump of rain with the storms to dampen things down. However, our cold fronts carry a sting in the tail - a violent 90 degree wind shift that turns the eastern flank of a fire into a front, often tens of km long. This is partiucularly bad if there's a pre-frontal trough and little moisture. The trough amplifies the winds before and after the front, while the lack of moisture means there's no rain to help things.

In 2016 there was a different fire in northern Alberta in Fort
    McMurray. I'm not sure how or why that fire started but it caught the
    town by surprise and did a lot of damage. The first time I saw it, it
    was burning up some gas startions and cafe's on the outskirts of town. Small buildings quite far apart but the fire still made it's way from building to building.

I remember that one on the news.

I saw a video a few days later of a gridlock of people trying to get
    out. Cars were lined up on a side street and bushes/shrubs/trees/homes would burst into flames right beside them.

I tried to find that video but it's burried somewhere on cbc.ca.

Here, the authorities put a lot of effort into forecasting conditions - even I'm trained to calculate fire danger indicies. For the public, the numbers are turned into a fire danger rating, which is a 6 level scale of:

Low/Moderate
    High
    Very High
    Severe
    Extreme
    Code Red.

Code Red is basically conditions only seen in recent decades (last time here was Feb 7, 2009). The indices are literally off the scale, and the advice to the public is "leave early", meaning get out of high risk areas the night before or early morning at the latest, before any fires develop. These days are a good time to spend a few days in the big city shopping or whatever.

Depending on one's degree of preparation, on Extreme or Severe days, one may choose to leave early too. We normally get a handful of severe days each year and probably 1-2 extreme days on average. Total fire bans are usually declared on days with a severe or higher rating. Sometimes they may be declared on very high fire danger days.

If they can connect you to a fire here you are in big trouble.

Same here, you could probably expect at least 10 years in jail, if you're found to be the cause of a major fire, maybe a little less if it's negligence, rather than arson.
    These fires are not good for humans or property but in nature it's just
    a matter of out with the old and in with the new.

Ecologists here say yeah, it's all very terrible but look at what's happening now!

So I guess it's all good, you just need to keep your stuff out of harms way.

Nature will adapt, and certainly has here.

Add to that 40C+ temperatures, himidity below 10%, pre-frontal winds that
    an
    exceed 100 km/h and frequent drought, and you have a recipe for a firestorm. Last few seasons, we've dodged a bullet in my part of the state.

In those temps and conditions you guys must be used to fire and are prepared for it.

Yes. We are regarded as having among the best rural firefighters in the world.
    Sore of have to, and the vast majority of them are volunteers, but still trained to a very high standard.

It's all rather new here and we are still trying to figure out how to prepare for what I guess is inevitable now and better deal with it when
    it happens.

Yes, you guys would probably do well to see how things work here. :)

... URA Redneck if people hear your car a long time before they see it.
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to nathanael on Fri Jun 7 01:32:00 2019
    On 06-06-19 11:24, nathanael wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Now that's one thing I have tried - not in an actual race, but went

Never been in a dragon boat. Saw a real one about ten or fifteen years ago, but in Taiwan it's impossible to go anywhere during vacations, so
    we just sit at home and watch it on TV.

Oh, OK. Yeah was a good experience. I did enjoy the dragon boat.

... Just my opinion (but I'm right!).
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Fri Oct 23 16:07:38 2020
    Heading into a nice long weekend here. Our Monday is Labour Day and it's
    first public holiday for some months as we emerge from Winter and enjoy some Spring weather and warming temps.

I'm helping my wife paint another bedroom and will end up doing chores
    outside.

It's hear birthday middle of next week but the kids and others are coming
    over tomorrow for an early birthday lunch etc.

Then we hit the painting duties and I expect the rest may be a bit of a blur.

The box that will be Agency BBS Linux is still in the lounge and the teen daughter keeps wanting to use it for Disney+ etc.. sigh :)

I'll get there.

May watch some of the USA debate today, not sure. I'm working from home today but taking a break to play BBS :)

Hope you're going well in your corner of the globe.

Can't recall if I mentioned Roxette have a new tune out. I know they are like so 90's but I always liked them. The lead vocalist (Marie) died a year or so ago with cancer, this is a posthumous release of a single with her vocals in
    it etc. Kinda has a double meaning now - the new song..

https://youtu.be/fFidYtllRW0

This has been a year when I've noticed death more. My wife's mum passed a few months ago so we were obviously wrapped up in all of that. She's still hit
    with waves of sadness and tears that come from nowhere at times. We ride the rapids together. Holding someone sometimes seems too little... but it's all I can do.

A guy at work who I have worked with indirectly for over 10 years has
    resigned after a long career as he battles cancer. All of that happened quickly. Then one of our admin staff - a lovely lady in her early 30s was diagnosed with breast cancer... she's off now doing chemotherapy and has come in a couple of times, looking upbeat but clearly tired etc... I think she
    faces surgery soon...

I got wind that a old broadcaster mate I've known since the 80s had lost his wife to the same sort of cancer about 3 weeks ago... and bugger me when I
    went to look up her online obit I instead found an obit for another former radio colleague I'd long lost touch with who had also passed in recent
    days... this one I think was just old age... still.

So yeah, I share all this not to be morbid but I guess from the realization that this stuff is always happening around us all and yet it's weird how at times the vortex of it all touches down in your own world. Kinda like you
    buy a car then see it always when you are out driving but if you had not
    bought that model you would never have noticed it etc.

Oh and my oldest step-daughter is waiting on some tests she's just had to undergo to check for cervical cancer....poor thing she's freaked and rightly so. We'll support as/when required but for now it's a waiting game.

Bus Travel

I started taking the bus into work recently. The car parking I use it hotly contested and more so now a nearby car park that looks after 300+ cars has closed for a resurfacing etc. for some weeks to come. So I thought take the bus.

It's been an interesting experience. Mostly the same time to get to work and people are generally friendly. On the radio there was an ad playing to
    address folks mental health. The message was, a good way of combating depression was to think of 10 things each day to be thankful for.

I thought that's good advice and I agree it works :)

That's it for me for now.

Best, Paul

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Windows/32)
  • From Charles Pierson@21:4/111 to Avon on Fri Oct 23 01:20:18 2020
    Thus spake Avon:
    Heading into a nice long weekend here. Our Monday is Labour Day and it's first public holiday for some months as we emerge from Winter and enjoy some
    Spring weather and warming temps.

And here I am hoping for some cooler temps to hang around for longer than a day...

I'm helping my wife paint another bedroom and will end up doing chores outside.

I've got a list a mile long myself, retiling my kitchen, getting the plants ready for winter, finishing a half dozen other projects.

Oh and my oldest step-daughter is waiting on some tests she's just had to undergo to check for cervical cancer....poor thing she's freaked and rightly
    so. We'll support as/when required but for now it's a waiting game.

I feel for you. My wife just got confirmation of Kidney cancer today. Now we're going over surgery schedules, dietary changes..... It's rough.

So let it be written, So let it be done.
    --- AfterShock/Android 1.6.7
    * Origin: HOUSTON, TX (21:4/111)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Charles Pierson on Fri Oct 23 20:02:39 2020
    On 22 Oct 2020 at 09:20p, Charles Pierson pondered and said...

I feel for you. My wife just got confirmation of Kidney cancer today.
    Now we're going over surgery schedules, dietary changes..... It's rough.

Sending good vibes from over to you both also....

• From paulie420@21:2/150 to Avon on Thu Oct 22 21:52:23 2020
    Heading into a nice long weekend here. Our Monday is Labour Day and it's first public holiday for some months as we emerge from Winter and enjoy some Spring weather and warming temps.

Avon, thanks for sharing so much with the community. I know you don't have to do that, and its cool hearing whats been going on in your life and knowing
    the head of our beloved fsx. Thanks for always taking the time to share...
    hope the bus comuting goes well, and my thoughts are with you and your wife through whats already been a hard year.

Thanks for all you do for BBSing. Cheers.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/24 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbs>>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From Apam@21:1/182 to Avon on Fri Oct 23 19:04:58 2020
    RE: Re: Long Weekend
    BY: Avon(21:1/101)

Oh and my oldest step-daughter is waiting on some tests she's just had
    to
    undergo to check for cervical cancer....poor thing she's freaked and
    rightly

Oh I hope she's ok. It would be very scary.

Hope you have fun painting.

I've been building a new computer, I got tired of just scraping in the minimum specs with the "refurbished" "ex-lease" "what i could justify" PCs :) So I hit up AfterPay and ordered parts. Just waiting on the RAM now. I had hoped it would arrive today (Friday) but unless it comes with the letters, looks like I'll have to wait until at least Monday.

It's a Ryzen 5 with 6 cores and 12 threads (I forget which model exactly) 1TB Msomething SSD (You know the little pc board ssds not the one shaped like a laptop hard drive), and a Radeon RX570 with 8Gb of ram on it, pluss waiting on the 16Gb of DDR4 ram.

I'm pretty excited, it's the first time I've built a computer in years, first time one new to me as well in years.

Well, have a nice long weekend. Hope you get a few breaks between painting :)

Andrew

--- WWIV 5.5.0.development
    * Origin: The Barbed Hook - telnet://barbedhook.ddns.net:2323/ (21:1/182)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Avon on Sat Oct 24 00:11:00 2020
    On 10-23-20 12:07, Avon wrote to All <=-

Heading into a nice long weekend here. Our Monday is Labour Day and
    it's first public holiday for some months as we emerge from Winter and enjoy some Spring weather and warming temps.

Long weekend here too, with today being the public holiday. Soon it will be the horse racing holiday.

I'm helping my wife paint another bedroom and will end up doing chores outside.

You never seem to truly have time off. ;)

But we will be involved in a lot of house related stuff next year, as our build gets under way. Land is secured, but waiting on the title, before we can settle. Later this year will be sorting finance for the house itself (we're paying for the land outrighht). I'm dreading the actual move, but looking forward to when it's all over. Lots of fun planning too - networking, radio, even the home gym. :)

May watch some of the USA debate today, not sure. I'm working from home today but taking a break to play BBS :)

I avoided it, didn't want to risk brain rot. ;)

Hope you're going well in your corner of the globe.

Mostly. Recovering from a sore Achilles, and dome something to my right shoulder, but still capable of 90% top speed in this state. :)

Can't recall if I mentioned Roxette have a new tune out. I know they
    are like so 90's but I always liked them. The lead vocalist (Marie)
    died a year or so ago with cancer, this is a posthumous release of a single with her vocals in it etc. Kinda has a double meaning now - the
    new song..

https://youtu.be/fFidYtllRW0

Must check that out. I quite like Roxette.

This has been a year when I've noticed death more. My wife's mum passed
    a few months ago so we were obviously wrapped up in all of that. She's still hit with waves of sadness and tears that come from nowhere at
    times. We ride the rapids together. Holding someone sometimes seems too little... but it's all I can do.

I can understand. I lost a very close friend just under a year ago, and lost a partner 15 years ago. In some ways, losing someone close never really leaves you.

... Mandatory tagline omitted; moderator gone berserk. Story at 11:00.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Charles Pierson on Sat Oct 24 00:12:00 2020
    On 10-22-20 21:20, Charles Pierson wrote to Avon <=-

I feel for you. My wife just got confirmation of Kidney cancer today.
    Now we're going over surgery schedules, dietary changes..... It's
    rough.

Sorry to hear that, hope they're able to cure it. Best wishes.

... The older you get, the more important is is not to act your age.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Apam on Sat Oct 24 19:40:22 2020
    On 23 Oct 2020 at 03:04p, Apam pondered and said...

Oh I hope she's ok. It would be very scary.

I expect we'll know more in the next 7-10 days, just waiting on results etc.

Hope you have fun painting.

My arms hurt - nuff said :)

I'm pretty excited, it's the first time I've built a computer in years, first time one new to me as well in years.

The specs sound amazing. I hope you have a lot of fun with the gear and in building it too :)

It's been a few years now since I last built a new machine. I daydream about
    a newer system with better specs but what I have now (Intel i3 with 12 gig
    ram a SSD and 1TB HDD) does the trick for the most part. A new wide screen monitor would be rather nice though :)

Well, have a nice long weekend. Hope you get a few breaks between
    painting :)

Thanks, lawns tomorrow while the weather lasts, and probably some more final touch ups tomorrow also. Then Monday to crash and wonder why the body aches
    so much. Good times :)

• From Apam@21:1/182 to Avon on Sat Oct 24 18:00:36 2020
    RE: Re: Long Weekend
    BY: Avon(21:1/101)

The specs sound amazing. I hope you have a lot of fun with the gear and
    in building it too :)

Thanks :) I added up all I spent on various parts, now I am a little nervous, I hope it works! LOL

It's been a few years now since I last built a new machine. I daydream
    about
    a newer system with better specs but what I have now (Intel i3 with 12
    gig
    ram a SSD and 1TB HDD) does the trick for the most part. A new wide
    screen
    monitor would be rather nice though :)

Sounds pretty decent. If I wasn't keen on playing games, such a system would suit well. Actually what I have at present is ok it's an AMD A8 I think, a little flakey with the bluetooth and front usb ports / sd card slot. For coding and BBS development etc works well. Except it takes a good 5 minutes to start (at least), I'm not sure why that is.

Thanks, lawns tomorrow while the weather lasts, and probably some more
    final
    touch ups tomorrow also. Then Monday to crash and wonder why the body
    aches
    so much. Good times :)

Ah yeah, lawns. One thing I'm glad I don't have to do any more (Grounds keepers do the lawns for our unit block). It's been really wet today here.

I can imagine you would be quiet sore after all that. I was pretty sore the day before yesterday and all i did was move things around and put together the parts of my computer that did arrive.

Andrew

--- WWIV 5.5.0.development
    * Origin: The Barbed Hook - telnet://barbedhook.ddns.net:2323/ (21:1/182)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Apam on Fri Oct 23 14:15:00 2020
    Apam wrote to Avon <=-

I've been building a new computer, I got tired of just scraping in the minimum specs with the "refurbished" "ex-lease" "what i could justify"
    PCs :)

My 12 year-old, $199, off-lease Core2 Duo (recently upgraded to a
    Core 2 Quad) and I resent that remark! :)

It's had a good run, but I'm finally looking at something new - or at
    least a newer refurbished, off-lease Dell Precision Workstation. If
    my current system weren't so big, I'd fill it with drives and make it
    a NAS.

... Discover the recipes you are using and abandon them
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Sun Oct 23 13:50:57 2022
    Hi all

well it's a long weekend here, on Monday we have Labour Day which means a holiday - yay.

Saturday was fine and sunny and today (Sunday) also looks good, but tomorrow it will again be cold and wet - meh.

I have been working on fsxnet.nz slowly and am adding content from the old wiki along with pondering new stuff to load in. I can see the site will take some time to get it to where I want it to be but am pleased to be underway.

After doing some shopping and household chores this morning I'm now working on adding a new node to the nodelist and trying to suss a better way to add and remove nodes in the inter-bbs games.

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going' avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
  • From seeLive@21:2/128 to Avon on Sat Oct 22 21:06:26 2022
    On 23 Oct 2022, Avon said the following...

Hi all

well it's a long weekend here, on Monday we have Labour Day which means a holiday - yay.

Saturday was fine and sunny and today (Sunday) also looks good, but tomorrow it will again be cold and wet - meh.

I have been working on fsxnet.nz slowly and am adding content from the
    old wiki along with pondering new stuff to load in. I can see the site will take some time to get it to where I want it to be but am pleased to be underway.

After doing some shopping and household chores this morning I'm now working on adding a new node to the nodelist and trying to suss a better way to add and remove nodes in the inter-bbs games.

Enjoy your day off and do something fun!

|07-|15seeLive|08─|15{ "|07Sysop|15": ["|07oNyX bBs|15"] }

|15onyxbbs.mywire.org:2300-tel / :2200-ssh / onyxwww.mywire.org-web
    |07fsxnet / fidonet / tqwnet / dovenet / gamenet / sfnet|14

... Chernobyl used Microsoft Windows. Look where it got THEM.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/15 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: oNyX bBs - onyxbbs.mywire.org:2300/2200 (21:2/128)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to seeLive on Sun Oct 23 14:19:28 2022
    On 22 Oct 2022 at 09:06p, seeLive pondered and said...

does trying to add/remove nodes in Galactic Dynasty count ? :)

Thanks, I should be outside now but it's hot and I wanted to play on adding extra content to fsxnet.nz

I'm working on a bit of a wiki page about bbs projects at the moment, just trying to list out some known active/inactive projects.

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going' avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

• From Exodus@21:1/176 to Avon on Sat Oct 22 21:37:29 2022

Uhh .. it's still Sat. here ... quit wishing our Sat. away FUTURE BOY! :)

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
    * Origin: Joey, do you like movies about gladiators? (21:1/176)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Exodus on Sun Oct 23 15:27:12 2022
    On 22 Oct 2022 at 09:37p, Exodus pondered and said...

Uhh .. it's still Sat. here ... quit wishing our Sat. away FUTURE BOY! :)

It's nearly dinner time on Sunday here, I can confirm breakfast (your tomorrow) will be good :)

• From seeLive@21:2/128 to Avon on Sun Oct 23 08:57:11 2022

On 22 Oct 2022 at 09:06p, seeLive pondered and said...

does trying to add/remove nodes in Galactic Dynasty count ? :)

probably not ;) but, if you need some help let me know... I'd be happy to lend a hand...

Thanks, I should be outside now but it's hot and I wanted to play on adding extra content to fsxnet.nz

how hot does it get there?

I'm working on a bit of a wiki page about bbs projects at the moment,
    just trying to list out some known active/inactive projects.

again, anything I can do to help let me know... take care

|07-|15seeLive|08─|15{ "|07Sysop|15": ["|07oNyX bBs|15"] }

|15onyxbbs.mywire.org:2300-tel / :2200-ssh / onyxwww.mywire.org-web
    |07fsxnet / fidonet / tqwnet / dovenet / gamenet / sfnet|14

... We all live in a yellow subroutine.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/15 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: oNyX bBs - onyxbbs.mywire.org:2300/2200 (21:2/128)
  • From Zip@21:1/202 to Avon on Sun Oct 23 16:12:21 2022
    Hello Avon!

Sounds nice -- enjoy! :)

Myself, I've been out and about and shot a roll of film in my recent P&S camera. Still quite some autumn colors on the trees here, and, fortunately, a sunny Sunday. =)

Best regards
    Zip

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/15 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (21:1/202)