• VERY good news today...

From Phoobar@21:2/147 to All on Tue Nov 26 01:50:30 2019
    After having a former roommate who squatted for months who I couldn't get rid of because he was on the lease left me paying for rent/bills all these months since May of this year.

Found out today (after 3 months) that I have a new roommate around the same
    age as myself. Means I will be able to get back on my feet. Also means that I will be able to afford to go out & some toys...even a car/pick up in a while where I won't have to keep riding a 2017 Tao Tao 50 scooter I am so famous
    for riding the past 2-3 years.

Gonna be a great holiday season...especially after getting a better job at
    the store which suits my personality better.

Phoobar

Phoobar/ACME BBS-Member of fsxNet & WWIVNet.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: ACME BBS-I taut I taw a puddy tat! (21:2/147)
  • From tallship@21:2/104 to Phoobar on Tue Nov 26 02:30:03 2019
    On 25 Nov 2019, Phoobar said the following...

After having a former roommate who squatted for months who I couldn't

Found out today (after 3 months) that I have a new roommate around the same age as myself. Means I will be able to get back on my feet. Also means that I will be able to afford to go out & some toys...even a

Gonna be a great holiday season...especially after getting a better job

Well congrats and I'm glad you ejected the deadbeat - yah I've seen that sort of thing go down a few times and it can be pretty nerve racking indeed.

Sounds like it's the start of a great holiday season for you!

Enjoy :)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Vger.Cloud - NOMAD Internetwork (21:2/104)
  • From Phoobar@21:2/147 to tallship on Tue Nov 26 03:23:56 2019
    The best part is my new roommate is close to my age...rather than a 20-something.

One great thing is ended up suing the bum in small claims court. Hacked him
    off royally...but not willing to get a job...screwing me over...he lost his car. The judgment I got & from the lenders...it will in his early 30's before his credit is going to allow him to try anything again. Just love seeing
    karma work itself out. ;)

Phoobar

Phoobar/ACME BBS-Member of fsxNet/WWIVNet/SciNet.

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Phoobar on Wed Nov 27 00:53:54 2019
    On 25 Nov 2019 at 08:50p, Phoobar pondered and said...

Found out today (after 3 months) that I have a new roommate around the same age as myself. Means I will be able to get back on my feet. Also means that I will be able to afford to go out & some toys...even a car/pick up in a while where I won't have to keep riding a 2017 Tao Tao
    50 scooter I am so famous for riding the past 2-3 years.

at the store which suits my personality better.

Hey congrats that's cool news. It's a pain when you feel stuck but things
    never stay the same for ever so it's good that there's progress going on in
    the areas you're wanting to move forward in. Yay :)

* Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From lemonlime@21:4/162 to Phoobar on Tue Nov 26 19:25:49 2019

get rid of because he was on the lease left me paying for rent/bills all these months since May of this year.

Found out today (after 3 months) that I have a new roommate around the same age as myself. Means I will be able to get back on my feet. Also means that I will be able to afford to go out & some toys...even a car/pick up in a while where I won't have to keep riding a 2017 Tao Tao

Really glad to hear it, Phoobar! All the best with the new roommate and new job!

* Origin: Stellar Darkness BBS, Toronto, Canada (21:4/162)
  • From Zarnock@21:1/174 to Phoobar on Tue Nov 26 14:31:20 2019

Awesome! Glad to hear things are looking up. Way to stay positive about it and hopeful for the future.

-Zarnock

* Origin: The Zone BBS - zonebbs.net (21:1/174)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Phoobar on Tue Nov 26 11:59:00 2019
    Phoobar wrote to tallship <=-

early 30's before his credit is going to allow him to try anything
    again. Just love seeing karma work itself out. ;)

Living well is the best revenge.

... Where is the edge?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
    * Origin: http://realitycheckbbs.org (21:4/122)
  • From Lupine Furmen@21:4/102 to Phoobar on Tue Nov 26 18:56:30 2019
    get rid of because he was on the lease left me paying for rent/bills all these months since May of this year.

Phoobar

Congratulations dude. Hope things work out better with this one. I know all
    to well the struggles of having roommates that don't do anything to help out.

That's why when I get a place I make sure I can afford it on my own before I even consider taking in any roommates.
    ---

-Dallas Vinson

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A38 2018/01/01 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Before the Web (21:4/102)
  • From Tiny@21:1/130 to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed Nov 27 18:07:30 2019
    Quoting poindexter FORTRAN to Phoobar <=-

Living well is the best revenge.

Sometimes just living is revenge.

Shawn

... Bedfellows make strange politicians.

--- EzyBlueWave V3.00 01FB001F
    * Origin: Tiny's BBS - telnet://tinysbbs.com:3023 (21:1/130)
  • From Weatherman@21:1/132 to Phoobar on Wed Nov 27 22:32:56 2019

One great thing is ended up suing the bum in small claims court. Hacked
    him off royally...but not willing to get a job...screwing me over...he
    lost his car. The judgment I got & from the lenders...it will in his early 30's before his credit is going to allow him to try anything again. Just love seeing karma work itself out. ;)

Good that you took him to small claims court. Even if they have no money, they
    will garnish wages in the future until it is paid off. If the person owns a home, you can also put a lien on it.

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
    * Origin: http://www.weather-station.org * Bel Air, MD -USA (21:1/132.0)
  • From Phoobar@21:2/147 to Weatherman on Wed Nov 27 21:57:15 2019
    Good that you took him to small claims court. Even if they have no
    money, they will garnish wages in the future until it is paid off. If
    the person owns a home, you can also put a lien on it.

Not only that...but the judgment will show up on his credit report for 7
    years. That will keep him from buying a car on credit...renting an apartment
    & could even means he loses a possible job.

Just got something from USAA in the mail the other day. Have been thinking about asking the court to go after his bank accounts the middle of January
    to attempt to get his tax refund & anything else he might have in the account up to the amount of the judgment. Plus...he won't be able to do anything but put money into the account until it's paid off.

Even if I don't get any money...his life is not going to be too nice for the next several years.

• From Weatherman@21:1/132 to Phoobar on Thu Nov 28 12:35:30 2019

Not only that...but the judgment will show up on his credit report for 7 years. That will keep him from buying a car on credit...renting an
    apartment & could even means he loses a possible job.

I have seen people buy cars with no credit and no jobs. They get repo'd about 3 months later, and then they do the same thing again. Normally only the small
    side of the road used car places do this type of thing.

Even if I don't get any money...his life is not going to be too nice for
    the next several years.

It may take some time, but you should get your money. My brother made a big mistake of lending his "friend" a good deal of money to he could buy a wedding ring for his girlfriend. The woman dumped his friend, and his friend then didn't want to pay for the ring.

My brother did what you did - took him to small claims court. He eventually got all the money back but it took many years.

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
    * Origin: http://www.weather-station.org * Bel Air, MD -USA (21:1/132.0)
  • From m@stermind@21:1/999 to Phoobar on Fri Nov 29 16:42:13 2019

Phoobar

phhobar, while i dont know you personally, CONGRATULATIONS! sounds like you were stuck in a sucky position... and thank gosh that you can stretch your
    legs a bit now!!

the christmas season is upon us; i hope things continue to go your way...

ROCK N ROLL!

M@STERMIND

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: American Pi (21:1/999)
  • From Phoobar@21:2/147 to m@stermind on Sat Nov 30 03:48:05 2019
    The new roommate is moved in today. He's as old or a little bit older than me (middle-aged)...so should have someone who always called me when he said he was going to while waiting on the complex to get him approved. Should be way more responsible than having an over-aged teenager in their 20's in here doing the same thing the POS did to me earlier this year.

Getting more hours until Xmas...so as long as I can put some away in savings AND be able to buy groceries...I will be very stoked! Having breathing room after 6+ months of changing pennies to quarters...will be nice to have a few extra dollars & get items I want...rather than figuring out how much I can
    buy with $10-20 US.

Phoobar

• From tallship@21:2/104 to Phoobar on Sun Dec 8 05:05:51 2019
    On 29 Nov 2019, Phoobar said the following...

The new roommate is moved in today. He's as old or a little bit older

That's really great to hear! Y'know, I was thinking before...

You can do a small claims case on the kid and then once you win the judgement by default enjoy sticking it to him for years - everytime he get's a new job garnish his wages.

You'll prolly never get anything but you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you taught him a valuable life lesson on not screwing people and honoring agreements.

To chase him to the ends of the earth is easy. Just contact a collection
    agency and fax them the judgement. They typically work on 15% of the invoice
    or judgement and are relentless, following the culprit from job to job and filing for garnishments everytime their SS# pops up as bing employed again.

• From Phoobar@21:2/147 to tallship on Mon Dec 9 01:43:40 2019
    You can do a small claims case on the kid and then once you win the judgement by default enjoy sticking it to him for years - everytime he get's a new job garnish his wages.

Exactly what I did late last summer. He had 14 days to contest it. Late on
    day 14...called the courthouse & had done absolutely nothing. Was at the clerk's office at 8 AM the next day & applied for the judgment. A week later...the court had added on about $200 in additional fines. He found out I won the judgment...he threw a fit that I should've talked to him...but all he did was order GrubHub & spend his SNAP/Unemployment. Even put an ad up on Craigslist telling everyone I was the one going off the deep end & should
    feel sorry for him.

We used to work for the same company. He walked off the job & never went back...but not before putting his feet on a desk...kicking back & telling everyone who had been for years that he was the only one who ever did any
    work. Found out about this about a month ago. I was LIVID! I'd known he did this...his family would've gotten a set of special Xmas gifts. ;)

What I was told was I have one chance to get this. Have some of his mail
    (bank statement & such)...so was thinking about going after his bank account during tax season to get his refund...like he got mine this past year.

Phoobar

• From Phoobar@21:2/147 to tallship on Mon Dec 9 01:48:34 2019
    To chase him to the ends of the earth is easy. Just contact a collection agency and fax them the judgement. They typically work on 15% of the invoice or judgement and are relentless, following the culprit from job
    to job and filing for garnishments everytime their SS# pops up as bing employed again.

Looked into this last summer...but the only thing I found were idiots who wanted a cut of the judgment for doing everything I could/had already done. Even 50% with them hounding him is more than worth it.

You have any suggestions...put a smile on my face & allow me the same maniacal laugh when I watch the IT Crowd at work on my phone. Trust me...no matter
    where you are in the world...you will clearly hear me laugh.

Thank you!

Phoobar

• From tallship@21:2/104 to Phoobar on Mon Dec 9 06:26:30 2019
    On 08 Dec 2019, Phoobar said the following...

What I was told was I have one chance to get this. Have some of his mail (bank statement & such)...so was thinking about going after his bank account during tax season to get his refund...like he got mine this past year.

After the Northridge Earthquake in the early 90's there was a lot of damage
    to peoples computing platforms in the San Fernando valley, so much, we were getting calls all the way down in the South Bay and I sent techs to the
    valley to to breakfix and a good amount of data recovery. I've been stiffed before but I really had fun with this one guy...

He had a bootlegge version of Aldus Pagemaker and a few other items. We did
    the data recovery on his smashed PC, including new components which he paid
    for up front, did a reinstall of Windows, and dumped the data (from a
    cleanroom recovery) back onto this new machine/HDD.

A total of about 20hrs of work that he insisted my tech perform, against my advisement to my tech.

Now, I still gotta pay my tech for this work, and the guy goes off the rails when he finds out all of his pirated software is gone (not installed, but all data dumped onto the new HDD and useless as such - but he's got is documents and everything).

He demands we reinstall the apps. I tell him, "Sure, no problem", We'll do that, just provide us with the original install disks and your license keys."
    A story ensues that stuff is lost or can't find it blah blah blah - the whole time I know it's bootlegged and won't touch it without a valid license lolz.
    I tell him to just call Aldus and the other software publishers and they'll
    be more than happy to accommodate him.

Long story short, he stiffs me on the invoice, I eat it, pay my tech for the hours spent on getting his precious data back, and then fax the invoice off
    to my favorite collection agency (real assholes - they would call in the
    middle of the night with threatening tones and everything) as soon as the invoice hit 120 days I think it was. maybe 90.

Anyway, and here's the funny part. In about two weeks he's calling wanting to pay me, and I had the unfortunate responsibility (NOT) of having to inform
    him that I'm prohibited from accepting payments as the delinquent account is now in the hands of an outside collection agency (they worked on 15% as I recall) and so he has to deal with them directly, and ended the call wishing him a lovely day.

There comes a point where it's no longer about the money, but the blood. Sometimes you just want a pound of flesh as payback, after all the bullhockey they've put you through lol.

• From tallship@21:2/104 to Phoobar on Mon Dec 9 06:34:21 2019
    On 08 Dec 2019, Phoobar said the following...

To chase him to the ends of the earth is easy. Just contact a collect agency and fax them the judgement. They typically work on 15% of the invoice or judgement and are relentless, following the culprit from j to job and filing for garnishments everytime their SS# pops up as bin employed again.

Looked into this last summer...but the only thing I found were idiots who wanted a cut of the judgment for doing everything I could/had already done. Even 50% with them hounding him is more than worth it.

Yes, in theory (and practice, if you can handle the hassles and stress, removing your emotions from the equation), you can do it yourself.

But even at 50%, you've already been burned and recovered as much as you ever will, so I would say try out those dirtbag idiots and 50% of something is better than having to endure more anguish with the ex-roomie.

The real bonus is, they're professional scumbags, it's what they do for a living, and I've found that some are pretty good - the best part is, you
    can't settle directly without still paying their 50%, so just let them make
    his life a living, garnished, hellhole lolz, and someday you may get back
    half of what he owes along with that pound of flesh ;)

• From Phoobar@21:2/147 to tallship on Mon Dec 9 09:55:50 2019
    He had a bootlegge version of Aldus Pagemaker and a few other items. We did the data recovery on his smashed PC, including new components which
    he paid for up front, did a reinstall of Windows, and dumped the data (from a cleanroom recovery) back onto this new machine/HDD.

Worked for this one Medicaid firm in Phoenix which was going through a merger at the time. They had a meeting about 2 weeks before firing me about getting all pirated software off their systems to avoid the $250K fine they had
    gotten the year before.

Remembering this when they fired me...I called the BSA. Even more idiotic
    of not locking former employees out...I reset the password from a payphone
    on a Friday night to their troubleshooting line...even though I set it back
    the next morning.

Never found out what happened to the company from the BSA...but it sure felt great having gone to that meeting & calling them to create more trouble.

Phoobar

• From Phoobar@21:2/147 to tallship on Mon Dec 9 09:59:16 2019
    The real bonus is, they're professional scumbags, it's what they do for a living, and I've found that some are pretty good - the best part is, you can't settle directly without still paying their 50%, so just let them make his life a living, garnished, hellhole lolz, and someday you may
    get back half of what he owes along with that pound of flesh ;)

Knowing that he's getting his reward is more than enough payment. Plus...he should be dumb enough not to demand they remove the judgment from his credit report...so it continues to be the gift which keeps on giving for 7 years afterwards.

Phoobar

• From Phoobar@21:2/147 to tallship on Mon Dec 9 10:01:01 2019
    But even at 50%, you've already been burned and recovered as much as you ever will, so I would say try out those dirtbag idiots and 50% of something is better than having to endure more anguish with the
    ex-roomie.

Got any suggestions on any companies or exactly what terms to use in Google? Couldn't find anything locally when I tried.

Phoobar

• From tallship@21:2/104 to Phoobar on Wed Dec 11 03:44:47 2019
    On 09 Dec 2019, Phoobar said the following...

Got any suggestions on any companies or exactly what terms to use in Google? Couldn't find anything locally when I tried.

A collction agency doesn't need to be local to you. There may be some regulations particular to their location vs yours, but the few I ever used
    were agressive towards collecting from anyone, anywhere.

Here's a couple of links I came up with following an ixquick:

https://bit.ly/2sjSzeI

https://bit.ly/2RBIG73

I haven't had to use outside collections in a while, since most of my
    services are subscription based, and the user can elect to discontinue by simply not paying for the following month, quarter, etc.

• From Phoobar@21:2/147 to tallship on Wed Dec 11 10:02:20 2019
    A collction agency doesn't need to be local to you. There may be some regulations particular to their location vs yours, but the few I ever
    used were agressive towards collecting from anyone, anywhere.

Exactly what I was looking for. After getting out of the salt mines later
    this afternoon will check out those links & others I can find.

Thank you for the information.