• Calling all cars

From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Wed Nov 27 02:16:59 2019
    If you are waiting on me or would like for me to add you tothe For Honour, Galactic Dynasty or BRE inter-bbs games in fsxNet can you please reply to
    this post with your wish list.

I have lost count of whom I still need to set up for what so just posting
    this call out here and will endeavor to work on things tomorrow night after work.

Best, Paul

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Al@21:4/106 to Avon on Tue Nov 26 06:50:46 2019
    If you are waiting on me or would like for me to add you tothe For Honour, Galactic Dynasty or BRE inter-bbs games in fsxNet can you
    please reply to this post with your wish list.

Please add The Rusty MailBox to the GD game.. :)

Ttyl :-),
    Al

--- MagickaBBS v0.13alpha (Linux/x86_64)
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (21:4/106)
  • From ToTAL@21:4/136 to Avon on Tue Nov 26 16:49:08 2019
    If you are waiting on me or would like for me to add you tothe For Honour, Galactic Dynasty or BRE inter-bbs games in fsxNet can you please reply to this post with your wish list.

I have lost count of whom I still need to set up for what so just posting this call out here and will endeavor to work on things tomorrow night after work.

Best, Paul

Sign me up for FH,GD and BRE please :)

//ToTAL

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: ToTAL LoST BBS (21:4/136)
  • From Zarnock@21:1/174 to Avon on Tue Nov 26 14:36:50 2019
    On 26 Nov 2019, Avon said the following...
    I have lost count of whom I still need to set up for what so just posting this call out here and will endeavor to work on things tomorrow night after work.

Hey Paul! Could you put me down for an order of some time for yourself? You work too hard on this hobby. LOL.

I would hate to see you get yourself burnt out, you're a much needed fixture
    in BBS life. Thank you for all the work you do!

-Zarnock

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The Zone BBS - zonebbs.net (21:1/174)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Zarnock on Wed Nov 27 19:11:56 2019
    On 26 Nov 2019 at 09:36a, Zarnock pondered and said...

Hey Paul! Could you put me down for an order of some time for yourself? You work too hard on this hobby. LOL.

Ha! Thanks you're very kind. Yeah my energy levels do go up/down a bit. Evenings seem to be full of 2-3 hours of nightly stuff related to fsxNet. For the most part that's fine but there are nights when I just take a bit of time off even if it's a for a day.

Stuff that I am working on trying to setup / test in the NET 1 HUB comes at
    the expense of answering 5-6 emails asking for help or wanting to join
    fsxNet etc. and that can be a juggle.

We'll get there.

I would hate to see you get yourself burnt out, you're a much needed fixture in BBS life. Thank you for all the work you do!

Thank you - I appreciate your kind feedback and support.

Best, Paul

• From Avon@21:1/101 to ToTAL on Wed Nov 27 19:12:25 2019
    On 26 Nov 2019 at 11:49a, ToTAL pondered and said...

Will do, will let you know when done.

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Al on Wed Nov 27 19:13:46 2019
    On 26 Nov 2019 at 01:50a, Al pondered and said...

Will do.

Best, Paul

• From Alterego@21:2/116 to Avon on Wed Nov 27 18:24:15 2019
    Re: Re: Calling all cars
    By: Avon to Zarnock on Wed Nov 27 2019 02:11 pm

Stuff that I am working on trying to setup / test in the NET 1 HUB comes at the expense of answering 5-6 emails asking for help or wanting to join fsxNet etc. and that can be a juggle.

With all respect...

So over the year or so, I think Ive seen a couple of messages like this - which
    I do not think is unusual, given that you have a real life outside of BBSing, but it does make me wonder why you are a bottleneck. IMHO, no single person should be a bottleneck in anything and it cannot end well in the long term.

While I believe FSX is your baby, sometimes its great to see your baby grow on their own, just like the joy you see when they start to walk, talk and no longer need nappies. (That joy may be confused with fear, when they leave the nest, but personally I'm not there yet...)

Like all hobbies, its fun to do, but that fun is only fun, when its not a chore. Workload stacking up will in time present itself as a chore.

So, I'd like to see this network scale itself to out do FN (that might be my disapointment of what I've seen FN turn into talking here as I rejoin years later after my nieve youthful days). For it to do that, I think you need to delegate, offload, give up (pick the right term?) some administrative functions
    - I'm sure there are many here willing to help, myself included as I've offered in the past.
    ...δεσπ

... Counting time is not so important as making time count.
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: I'm playing with ANSI+videotex - wanna play too? (21:2/116)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Al on Thu Nov 28 00:31:12 2019
    On 26 Nov 2019 at 01:50a, Al pondered and said...

Done, you're node 26 in this inter-bbs game. I will send out updated files to all nodes in due course.

• From Avon@21:1/101 to ToTAL on Thu Nov 28 00:45:07 2019
    On 26 Nov 2019 at 11:49a, ToTAL pondered and said...

all done, I have added you to all three games, look for some config files in your echomail\in folder soon to drop into your setup.

Remember you want to be polling 21:1/10 HUB on agency.bbs.nz:24557 for
    sending / receiving the game packets.

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Alterego on Thu Nov 28 00:58:06 2019
    On 27 Nov 2019 at 01:24p, Alterego pondered and said...

With all respect...

Sure thing..

So over the year or so, I think Ive seen a couple of messages like this
    - which I do not think is unusual, given that you have a real life
    outside of BBSing, but it does make me wonder why you are a bottleneck. IMHO, no single person should be a bottleneck in anything and it cannot end well in the long term.

Not sure I'd use the term bottleneck as it implies restriction, unless that's what you're meaning? But what I think you are saying is watch out for single point dependency - am I right? Just checking so I clarify my understanding of your thoughts.

While I believe FSX is your baby, sometimes its great to see your baby grow on their own, just like the joy you see when they start to walk,

I don't feel I could walk away and let it move to Zanzibar if that's what you mean :)

Like all hobbies, its fun to do, but that fun is only fun, when its not a chore. Workload stacking up will in time present itself as a chore.

I agree.

So, I'd like to see this network scale itself to out do FN (that might
    be my disapointment of what I've seen FN turn into talking here as I rejoin years later after my nieve youthful days). For it to do that, I

FN = Fidonet? Just checking. I initially misread this as FTN.

rejoin years later after my nieve youthful days). For it to do that, I think you need to delegate, offload, give up (pick the right term?) some administrative functions - I'm sure there are many here willing to help, myself included as I've offered in the past.

Thanks Deon - I really appreciate the candor and offers of help. I think I
    need to feel my way though this and find things to delegate as they present
    as comfortable to do so. It's certainly a much loved hobby/passion etc. to be active in BBSing and also to enjoy and nurture the community that fsxNet has become since late 2015. I agree there are likely any number of ways things could be run differently in the network. With the wisdom of the crowd and my gut intuition I hope to remain open to different ways of doing things, things that don't always involve me needing to be on point. I guess I realised that when we needed to spin up NET 2 then NET4, more recently the things we're now doing with you running NET 3 and Ruben picking up NET 5 for Wildcat systems etc.

Anyways that's a long winded way of saying thank you for posting this and keeping me thinking about different ways to do / structure stuff. I appreciate it.

Paul

• From Al@21:4/106 to Avon on Wed Nov 27 05:02:34 2019
    Hello Avon,

Done, you're node 26 in this inter-bbs game. I will send out updated
    files to all nodes in due course.

Good stuff. I see a .GAL file in the inbound but no .CFG as yet. I'll put the pieces together once I get that.

Al

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
  • From Alterego@21:2/116 to Avon on Thu Nov 28 14:23:43 2019
    Re: Re: Calling all cars
    By: Avon to Alterego on Wed Nov 27 2019 07:58 pm

Not sure I'd use the term bottleneck as it implies restriction, unless that's what you're meaning? But what I think you are saying is watch out for single point dependency - am I right? Just checking so I clarify my understanding of your thoughts.

So I was coming from the angle after I read your message that said "I havent done this, because I'm doing that". You've said that a couple of times now.

Doing "this" could be something fun that you want to do, but you cant get to it, because of all the "that" things that you need to do. Running a network has
    a lot of "that" things, and in FSX they all depend on you. Joining games, getting connected, debugging (the infrastructure) problems, etc.

I know one of the "this" you wanted to do is build these servers you picked up a while ago - so I'm guessing that has been/was pre-empted by "that" things related to FSX and "that" things related to Avons personal life outside of BBSing.

Thus the downside is, folks are waiting on you, the chores build up and it wears away at the fun.

So if there were 2 or 3 or 4 "Avons", then things might get done quicker (thus the end user experience benefits), and you get more time for "this".

And when it gets to the size of FN (I always think big) - then you can look back and say - I started "this".

(And "this" is a friendlier place to be.)
    ...δεσπ

... Message from God: Universe rebooting in 5 sec. Please log out.
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Alterego on Fri Nov 29 17:57:23 2019
    On 28 Nov 2019 at 09:23a, Alterego pondered and said...

Not sure I'd use the term bottleneck as it implies restriction, unles that's what you're meaning? But what I think you are saying is watch for single point dependency - am I right? Just checking so I clarify understanding of your thoughts.

So I was coming from the angle after I read your message that said "I havent done this, because I'm doing that". You've said that a couple of times now.

Sure.

Doing "this" could be something fun that you want to do, but you cant
    get to it, because of all the "that" things that you need to do.

OK thanks for clarifying... yep, I get erm that :) The vexing thing is what
    is this and that can interchange at times on a given day or even within an
    hour or so. But my take out from what you are saying is 'where I choose to spend my time / efforts vs where I don't' and 'what gives me joy (this is not leading to a house clean up BTW :)) vs what does not'.

Running a network has a lot of "that" things, and in FSX they all depend
    on you.
    Joining games, getting connected, debugging (the infrastructure)
    problems, etc.

I don't agree it all depends on me but yes there are some things that do
    while others involve others to help setup nodes at hubs, help to debug
    stuff at hubs or more widely across the network between nodes etc. But I understand the points you're wanting to make :)

I know one of the "this" you wanted to do is build these servers you picked up a while ago - so I'm guessing that has been/was pre-empted by "that" things related to FSX and "that" things related to Avons personal life outside of BBSing.

Yes, and some of the 'that' fsxNet things are in the area of supporting nodes with issues that are often bespoke. I don't mind doing those 'that' things.
    I'm not (yet) at the point where I feel that the joy from it has all gone.
    But I do agree my time seems to be more occupied with helping current and new nodes than it seems to feel it was say a year ago. Not totally sure why that is.

Thus the downside is, folks are waiting on you, the chores build up and
    it wears away at the fun.

I think this is about expectations and what people are prepared to accept and what they think is taking too long etc. I think it's also about perceptions.
    By this I mean you're framing the 'thats' in this discussion as 'chores' but from my point of view I don't really see them as that. To me they part of the fun stuff I get to do as part of my BBSing hobby which is (in part, well to
    be fair a large part) focused on supporting fsxNet and new and current nodes/sysops etc. involved in it.

I do agree if I perceive some of those tasks as a chore then yes it will detract from my fun of it all. But what (let's say) you think is a chore
    and/or perceive as taking too long or taking about the right level of time
    etc. is a really subjective personal thing. I'm not trying to discount your
    (or anyones) point of view about this.. just to say it is personal and subjective..as it's not like we have service level agreements in place that (and I'm just making this up on the fly) a new node will be contacted and connected within 24 hours of emailing for a node number etc...

So if there were 2 or 3 or 4 "Avons", then things might get done quicker (thus the end user experience benefits), and you get more time for
    "this".
    And when it gets to the size of FN (I always think big) - then you can look back and say - I started "this".

At the heart of this discussion are a few things/points/questions you are raising. Here's my take on what those are.

- what things are being done now that are (for want of a better term) network related admin that could be done not just by me but by others?

- is this happening now in any shape/form?

- is this seen as desirable / necessary, by whom, and why?

- what does an acceptable level of service look like for all this stuff?

- are we trying to fix something that is viewed as not broken, or is it
    broken? (I may be a bit harsh in my terminology using broken but you get the idea)

- where to next?

I'm more than happy to have that discussion in public with you and the wider community. I'm not sure of all the answers to the above. I'm equally not sure there is a problem per say but I do understand and appreciate your desire to see the network grow and thrive and do so in a way that perhaps one day may rival Fidonet of old. Not sure that will ever happen in this crazy world we live in but hey, it's been around four years since this network was started
    and it certainly has exceeded any initial expectations I had when it was started. :)

Best, Paul

• From Oli@21:1/151 to Avon on Sun Dec 1 23:19:12 2019
    On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 12:57:23 +1300
    "Avon -> Alterego" <0@101.1.21> wrote:

So if there were 2 or 3 or 4 "Avons", then things might get
    done quicker (thus the end user experience benefits), and you
    get more time for "this".
    And when it gets to the size of FN (I always think big) - then
    you can look back and say - I started "this".

At the heart of this discussion are a few things/points/questions you
    are raising. Here's my take on what those are.

- what things are being done now that are (for want of a better term) network related admin that could be done not just by me but by
    others?

Is there anything that can't be done by others?

The most important task is updating and distributing the nodelist.

Then you are the first contact for new nodes. It seems that you are spending quite some time in helping people to setup their BBS / FTN connectivity.

I don't believe so, but I'm not sure.

- is this seen as desirable / necessary, by whom, and why

I don't see any reason why the nodelist cannot be updated collaboratively. E.g.
    use a private SVN / Git / Mercurial / Fossil repository and give every network
    write access.

- what does an acceptable level of service look like for all this
    stuff?

Level 8 would be nice ;)

- are we trying to fix something that is viewed as not broken, or is
    it broken? (I may be a bit harsh in my terminology using broken but
    you get the idea)

At the moment it is bus factor 1-ish, but as long as Avon is not broken and keeps updating the nodelist, I wouldn't call it broken. It depends on the criteria you have. If the criteria were scalability and fault-tolerance, you could call the current process broken. On the other hand, even if Avon would shutdown all his nodes without any warning, the network would not cease to exist.

@Alterego: I'm not sure if fsxnet should be seen as the successor to Fidonet. Maybe it would also make sense to start a new Fidonet in a truly decentralized and collaborative fashion?

---
    * Origin: (21:1/151)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Oli on Mon Dec 2 17:42:15 2019
    On 01 Dec 2019 at 06:19p, Oli pondered and said...

At the heart of this discussion are a few things/points/questions you are raising. Here's my take on what those are.

- what things are being done now that are (for want of a better term) network related admin that could be done not just by me but by
    others?

Is there anything that can't be done by others?

Answering a question with a question bakes my brain :) If we could talk specifics that would enable me (at least) to give a more informed reply.

Then you are the first contact for new nodes. It seems that you are spending quite some time in helping people to setup their BBS / FTN connectivity.

I am first point of contact for a node application at the moment yes, but
    then allocation of a node number, and setup / liaison with the node is handed off to the HUB admin. I do spend time helping others, often it can be someone who has been a member of this network or an othernet for quite some time and then something comes up and they ask for help. I mention this as it's not
    like all my 'helping others' efforts are based around brand new nodes these days. That 'helping others' stuff ebbs and flows also.. hard to predict when
    it will occur.

I don't believe so, but I'm not sure.

Hopefully the above info / reply will help clarify :)

The most important task is updating and distributing the nodelist.

[snip]

I don't see any reason why the nodelist cannot be updated
    collaboratively. E.g. use a private SVN / Git / Mercurial / Fossil repository and give every network write access.

If we were to run with the established practices of NETs supplying a nodelist segment for compilation into a nodelist then this may address your comments about collaboration in this area? Is it needed - unsure. Could it be done - yep. I do have some ideas around decentralized nodelist management but it
    would take some dev work to implement them.

- what does an acceptable level of service look like for all this stuff?

Level 8 would be nice ;)

I'm not an IT person by trade but I'm guessing this good - right? :)

- are we trying to fix something that is viewed as not broken, or is it broken? (I may be a bit harsh in my terminology using broken but you get the idea)

At the moment it is bus factor 1-ish, but as long as Avon is not broken and keeps updating the nodelist, I wouldn't call it broken. It depends
    on the criteria you have. If the criteria were scalability and fault-tolerance, you could call the current process broken. On the other hand, even if Avon would shutdown all his nodes without any warning, the network would not cease to exist.

I don't think anything is really broken either. I think if it were then new nodes would not be coming in / others coming off. Chatter in the ehcos would
    be nil etc.. and that's plainly not the case right now... so if broken were
    to be the absence of activity etc.. then yep, were *not* broken :)

That all said, there will be different, probably better ways to do things,
    but all dependent on what is agreed success / ideal state looks like. I can't help but think we should be kicking that topic around some more and fleshing out that bit first before jumping to solutions. My 2 cents..

@Alterego: I'm not sure if fsxnet should be seen as the successor to Fidonet. Maybe it would also make sense to start a new Fidonet in a
    truly decentralized and collaborative fashion?

I'm more than happy for fsxNet to take the lead in experimenting with approaches to decentralization and collaboration. It's really an area of interest to me and others. I also am keen on how we can better implement encrypted mesh networking ideas into this discussion. But to do so we need agreement on what that means by all involved. I think I may have already said that :)

• From Oli@21:1/151 to Avon on Mon Dec 2 16:24:43 2019
    On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 12:42:15 +1300
    "Avon -> Oli" <0@101.1.21> wrote:

I'm more than happy for fsxNet to take the lead in experimenting with approaches to decentralization and collaboration. It's really an area
    of interest to me and others. I also am keen on how we can better
    implement encrypted mesh networking ideas into this discussion. But
    to do so we need agreement on what that means by all involved. I
    think I may have already said that :)

Could we create a dedicated echomail area for this (and all the things that were mentioned in the thread)? FSX_NETWORK, FSX_OPS, FSX_META or FSX_FTN, ...?

I find it hard to follow the discussions in FSX_GEN and I really would prefer a
    low-traffic area. It also would work much better as an archive.

---
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Oli on Tue Dec 3 17:15:17 2019
    On 02 Dec 2019 at 11:24a, Oli pondered and said...

Could we create a dedicated echomail area for this (and all the things that were mentioned in the thread)? FSX_NETWORK, FSX_OPS, FSX_META or FSX_FTN, ...?

I find it hard to follow the discussions in FSX_GEN and I really would prefer a low-traffic area. It also would work much better as an archive.

More than happy to do this, and good idea. I'll work on something over the
    next 24 hours. Once set up I'll forward the older messages from this thread into the new echo. Hopefully that will set us up nicely to discuss, plan and expand on the topics being mooted.

• From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Wed Dec 4 02:02:53 2019
    On 03 Dec 2019 at 12:15p, Avon pondered and said...

Could we create a dedicated echomail area for this (and all the thing that were mentioned in the thread)? FSX_NETWORK, FSX_OPS, FSX_META or FSX_FTN, ...?

I find it hard to follow the discussions in FSX_GEN and I really woul prefer a low-traffic area. It also would work much better as an archi

More than happy to do this, and good idea. I'll work on something over
    the next 24 hours. Once set up I'll forward the older messages from this thread into the new echo. Hopefully that will set us up nicely to
    discuss, plan and expand on the topics being mooted.

Hi guys

From HISTORY.TXT

[snip]

2019-12-03
    Created FSX_NET - fsxNet is now just over 4 years old. This echoarea has been
    created as a space for discussions about the network, its
    current operations, plans for the future and how best to
    implement them. Suggested topics include decentralization,
    collaboration, promotion, membership, encrypted connectivity
    mesh networking, new protocol development + implementation
    etc.

[snip]

This echoarea has just been created and should have auto created at the other HUBs. If not, sing out and let me know so I can chase things up.

The infopack etc. will be updated and changes reflected in the coming days
    when it is next hatched.

If you want this echo you will need to link to it.

Best, Paul

• From ToTAL@21:4/136 to Avon on Tue Dec 3 12:41:10 2019
    Remember you want to be polling 21:1/10 HUB on agency.bbs.nz:24557 for sending / receiving the game packets.

Hi Paul!

I've been patience and waiting for the config files for IBBS but without
    luck, not sure if the problem is on my side or not.

Also, polling 21:1/10 (agency.bbs.nz:24557) gives me "Authorization failed".

//ToTAL

• From Joacim Melin@21:2/130 to Avon on Tue Dec 3 15:25:33 2019
    On 03 Dec 2019 at 12:15p, Avon pondered and said...

Could we create a dedicated echomail area for this (and all the thin
    g
    that were mentioned in the thread)? FSX_NETWORK, FSX_OPS, FSX_META o
    r
    FSX_FTN, ...?

I find it hard to follow the discussions in FSX_GEN and I really wou
    l
    prefer a low-traffic area. It also would work much better as an arch
    i

the next 24 hours. Once set up I'll forward the older messages from this
    thread into the new echo. Hopefully that will set us up nicely to
    discuss, plan and expand on the topics being mooted.

Hi guys

From HISTORY.TXT

[snip]

2019-12-03
    Created FSX_NET - fsxNet is now just over 4 years old. This echoarea
    has been
    created as a space for discussions about the
    network, its
    current operations, plans for the future and how
    best to
    implement them. Suggested topics include decentralization,
    collaboration, promotion, membership, encrypted connectivity
    mesh networking, new protocol development + implementation
    etc.

[snip]

This echoarea has just been created and should have auto created at
    the other
    HUBs. If not, sing out and let me know so I can chase things up.

The infopack etc. will be updated and changes reflected in the coming
    days
    when it is next hatched.

If you want this echo you will need to link to it.

Best, Paul

I would like this echo but honestly I have no idea where to send netmail to turn it on. :)

I'm VERY out of the loop at the moment. Sorry all.

--- NiKom v2.5.0
    * Origin: Delta City (deltacity.se, Vallentuna, Sweden) (21:2/130.0)
  • From Alterego@21:2/116 to Avon on Wed Dec 4 06:09:03 2019
    Re: Re: FSX_NET - fsxNet Network Ops/Planning
    By: Avon to All on Tue Dec 03 2019 09:02 pm

Created FSX_NET - fsxNet is now just over 4 years old. This echoarea has

Howdy, I'm currently overseas in India, and cannot VPN into home, so cant check
    to see if this was created on Hub 3.

I'm back Friday, so I can check then.
    ...δεσπ

... Some things have got to be believed to be seen.
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Oli@21:1/151 to Alterego on Tue Dec 3 20:35:25 2019
    On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 01:09:03 +1100
    "Alterego -> Avon" <0@116.2.21> wrote:

Howdy, I'm currently overseas in India, and cannot VPN into home, so
    cant check to see if this was created on Hub 3.

No it hasn't been created yet. SBBSEcho's Areafix replies with
    "FSX_NET not found."

---
  • From Al@21:4/106 to Avon on Tue Dec 3 17:33:36 2019
    Hello Avon,

the next 24 hours. Once set up I'll forward the older messages from
    this thread into the new echo. Hopefully that will set us up nicely to discuss, plan and expand on the topics being mooted.

I've added the area here although I haven't seen anything. I suspect the area was created at 4/100 but I may not be connected and can't contact Areafix to check.

Al

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Al on Wed Dec 4 17:42:51 2019
    On 03 Dec 2019 at 12:33p, Al pondered and said...

I've added the area here although I haven't seen anything. I suspect the area was created at 4/100 but I may not be connected and can't contact Areafix to check.

OK thanks for the info. Hopefully Dan will be able to advise.

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Joacim Melin on Wed Dec 4 17:46:07 2019
    On 03 Dec 2019 at 10:25a, Joacim Melin pondered and said...

I would like this echo but honestly I have no idea where to send netmail to turn it on. :)

You would send a netmail to Areafix at 21:2/100 with your password in the subject and in the bodycopy state +FSX_NET

That *should* do the trick. Or I can just add you manually if you like :)

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Alterego on Wed Dec 4 17:46:42 2019
    On 04 Dec 2019 at 01:09a, Alterego pondered and said...

Howdy, I'm currently overseas in India, and cannot VPN into home, so
    cant check to see if this was created on Hub 3.

Safe travels, and thanks :)

• From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Al on Tue Dec 3 23:16:26 2019
    On 03 Dec 2019, Al said the following...

It was created, and I've manually added your node. I hope to be able to
    figure out this netmail thing soon...

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    Castle Rock BBS

* Origin: Castle Rock BBS - bbs.castlerockbbs.com (21:1/186)
  • From Al@21:4/106 to Black Panther on Tue Dec 3 22:23:44 2019
    Hello Black,

It was created, and I've manually added your node. I hope to be able
    to figure out this netmail thing soon...

Good stuff thanks. Not important since you have connected me but it would be good to know wht's up with hpt's Areafix/Filefx netmail.

Is it all netmail that does that or just areafix and/or filefix?

I'd have to call that a critical issue that I hope can be solved.

Al

• From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Al on Wed Dec 4 00:11:32 2019
    On 03 Dec 2019, Al said the following...

Is it all netmail that does that or just areafix and/or filefix?

I'd have to call that a critical issue that I hope can be solved.

Right now, it's all netmail coming in. What makes it interesting, is HPT sent me a netmail message to let me know it auto-created FSX_NET...

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    Castle Rock BBS

* Origin: Castle Rock BBS - bbs.castlerockbbs.com (21:1/186)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to ToTAL on Thu Dec 5 01:38:47 2019
    On 03 Dec 2019 at 07:41a, ToTAL pondered and said...

Hi Paul!

Hey there :)

I've been patience and waiting for the config files for IBBS but without luck, not sure if the problem is on my side or not.

Hmm, that's not good, let me check now. I'll be back in a min.

• From Avon@21:1/101 to ToTAL on Thu Dec 5 01:43:04 2019
    On 03 Dec 2019 at 07:41a, ToTAL pondered and said...

OK I check the logs here's what I see

[snip]

+ 04 Dec 09:49:56 [3728] incoming session with host-78-110-87-88.serva.net [78.110.87.88]
    - 04 Dec 09:49:56 [3728] SYS ToTAL LoST BBS
    - 04 Dec 09:49:56 [3728] ZYZ ToTAL
    - 04 Dec 09:49:56 [3728] TIME Tue, 03 Dec 2019 20:02:10 0100
    - 04 Dec 09:49:56 [3728] VER Mystic/1.12A43 binkp/1.0
    - 04 Dec 09:49:56 [3728] BUILD 2019/03/03 01:46:16 Raspberry Pi/32
    + 04 Dec 09:49:56 [3728] addr: 21:4/136@fsxnet
    + 04 Dec 09:49:56 [3728] addr: 80:774/84@retronet (n/a or busy)
    + 04 Dec 09:49:56 [3728] addr: 32:1/25@gamenet (n/a or busy)
    ? 04 Dec 09:49:57 [3728] Caller does not support MD5
    + 04 Dec 09:49:57 [3728] done (from 21:4/136@fsxnet, failed, S/R: 0/0 (0/0 bytes))
    04 Dec 09:49:57 [3728] session closed, quitting...

[snip]

At my end I have the BinkD mailer trying to enforce a MD5 style connection.
    It looks like your end when it polls in is not saying it want's or will
    honour that. So my question is what settings do you have for 21:1/10 ?

At Agency I have these

IP Type │ IPV4
    Password │ ********
    Time Out │ 30
    Block Size │ 16384
    CRAM-MD5 │ Yes
    Use SSL/TLS │ No
    Hide AKAs │ Yes

Do you have your CRAM-MD5 set to Yes?

If not change that switch to Yes and try another poll.

Can you let me know how you get on please. If this does not fix it I have a plan B

Best, Paul

• From Joacim Melin@21:2/130 to Avon on Wed Dec 4 14:07:58 2019
    On 03 Dec 2019 at 10:25a, Joacim Melin pondered and said...

I would like this echo but honestly I have no idea where to send netmail
    to turn it on. :)

You would send a netmail to Areafix at 21:2/100 with your password in
    the
    subject and in the bodycopy state +FSX_NET

That *should* do the trick. Or I can just add you manually if you like
    :)

Please add me. :)

Thanks!

--- NiKom v2.5.0
    * Origin: Delta City (deltacity.se, Vallentuna, Sweden) (21:2/130.0)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Joacim Melin on Thu Dec 5 02:18:19 2019
    On 04 Dec 2019 at 09:07a, Joacim Melin pondered and said...

Thanks!

Done, you should be linked in now.

Cheers, Paul

• From ToTAL@21:4/136 to Avon on Wed Dec 4 12:48:11 2019
    CRAM-MD5 │ Yes
    Do you have your CRAM-MD5 set to Yes?

If not change that switch to Yes and try another poll.

Can you let me know how you get on please. If this does not fix it I
    have a plan B

Hello again Paul!

My CRAM-MD5 setting was set to NO, changed it to YES and polled again.
    Recived 1223 files including the CFG files, looks like it's working as
    expected now, thank you for the help!

First step completed, now I will try out FD/GD/BRE in IBBS configuration.

//ToTAL

• From Avon@21:1/101 to ToTAL on Thu Dec 5 02:47:19 2019
    On 04 Dec 2019 at 07:48a, ToTAL pondered and said...

Hello again Paul!

My CRAM-MD5 setting was set to NO, changed it to YES and polled again. Recived 1223 files including the CFG files, looks like it's working as expected now, thank you for the help!

Coolio, yep that will do the trick.

Here's what I saw

[snip]

- 04 Dec 21:27:59 [12948] incoming from 78.110.87.88 (52068)
    + 04 Dec 21:27:59 [55612] incoming session with host-78-110-87-88.serva.net [78.110.87.88]
    - 04 Dec 21:27:59 [55612] SYS ToTAL LoST BBS
    - 04 Dec 21:28:00 [55612] ZYZ ToTAL
    - 04 Dec 21:28:00 [55612] TIME Wed, 04 Dec 2019 07:40:14 0100
    - 04 Dec 21:28:00 [55612] VER Mystic/1.12A43 binkp/1.0
    - 04 Dec 21:28:00 [55612] BUILD 2019/03/03 01:46:16 Raspberry Pi/32
    + 04 Dec 21:28:00 [55612] addr: 21:4/136@fsxnet
    + 04 Dec 21:28:00 [55612] pwd protected session (MD5)
    + 04 Dec 21:28:00 [55612] sending c:\fsxuse\filebox\total\GAL-IBBS.CFG as GAL-IBBS.CFG (1793)
    + 04 Dec 21:28:00 [55612] sending c:\fsxuse\filebox\total\FHR-IBBS.CFG as FHR-IBBS.CFG (1384)
    + 04 Dec 21:28:00 [55612] sending c:\fsxuse\filebox\total\brnodes.dat as brnodes.dat (786)
    + 04 Dec 21:28:00 [55612] sending c:\fsxuse\filebox\total\1A03ACC0.GAL as 1A03ACC0.GAL (367)
    + 04 Dec 21:28:00 [55612] sending c:\fsxuse\filebox\total\1A03AB7E.GAL as 1A03AB7E.GAL (367)
    + 04 Dec 21:28:00 [55612] sending c:\fsxuse\filebox\total\1A03A99D.GAL as 1A03A99D.GAL (367)
    + 04 Dec 21:28:00 [55612] sending c:\fsxuse\filebox\total\1A03A84F.GAL as 1A03A84F.GAL (367)

[snip]

+ 04 Dec 21:28:17 [55612] sent: c:\fsxuse\filebox\total\0100ADD8.FHR (77,
    77.00 CPS, 21:4/136@fsxnet)
    + 04 Dec 21:28:17 [55612] done (from 21:4/136@fsxnet, OK, S/R: 1223/0
    (302370/0 bytes))

Best, Paul

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Avon on Fri Dec 6 20:33:00 2019
    On 12-04-19 21:18, Avon wrote to Joacim Melin <=-

On 04 Dec 2019 at 09:07a, Joacim Melin pondered and said...

Thanks!

Done, you should be linked in now.

I've just areafixed the area myself. :)

... What is mind? No matter! What is matter? Never mind! - Homer S.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)
  • From Alterego@21:2/116 to All on Sat Dec 7 07:31:28 2019
    Re: Re: FSX_NET - fsxNet Network Ops/Planning
    By: Alterego to Avon on Wed Dec 04 2019 01:09 am

Howdy, I'm currently overseas in India, and cannot VPN into home, so cant check to see if this was created on Hub 3.

OK, FSX_NET added to hub 3 - if you want to be linked, let me know (or send a message to areafix)...
    ...δεσπ

... The world looks as if it has been left in the custody of trolls.
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Erazmus@21:1/133 to Avon on Sun Dec 8 15:17:59 2019
    On 04 Dec 2019, Joacim Melin said the following...

You would send a netmail to Areafix at 21:2/100 with your password in the
    subject and in the bodycopy state +FSX_NET

Paul,
    I can't find my areafix password. Can you either (or both): send me my password, and auto-add me to any areas I'm not already connected to?

Thanks!

Ian

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A42 2019/02/01 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The Parity Error BBS - Kelowna BC (21:1/133)
  • From Al@21:4/106 to Erazmus on Sun Dec 8 19:23:46 2019
    Hello Erazmus,

I can't find my areafix password. Can you either (or both): send me
    my password, and auto-add me to any areas I'm not already connected
    to?

Now that I am using HPT also, that problem we had with BBBS is no more and seen
    by lines pass through HPT intact so I could connect you also. Your node is still setup here as it was although not connected to the fsxNet areas currently.

Netmail me if you want to do that.

Al

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Erazmus on Wed Dec 11 02:46:48 2019
    On 08 Dec 2019 at 10:17a, Erazmus pondered and said...

Paul,
    I can't find my areafix password. Can you either (or both): send me my password, and auto-add me to any areas I'm not already connected to?

Thanks!

Ian

Hi Ian

I will netmail you now and connect you also at this end...

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Erazmus on Wed Dec 11 02:47:59 2019
    On 08 Dec 2019 at 10:17a, Erazmus pondered and said...

done, have linked you to that and the other echos you were not connected to, feel free to adjust to taste.

• From Erazmus@21:1/133 to Avon on Tue Dec 10 15:26:02 2019
    On 10 Dec 2019, Avon said the following...

done, have linked you to that and the other echos you were not connected to, feel free to adjust to taste.

Thank you for the excellent service as always :)

Ian

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A42 2019/02/01 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The Parity Error BBS - Kelowna BC (21:1/133)
  • From Sneaky@21:1/115 to Avon on Sat Feb 1 03:36:25 2020
    Re: Re: This vs That - taking the pulse.
    By: Avon to Oli on Mon Dec 02 2019 12:42 pm

Hi Paul

just letting you now I and going on holiday (nelson) tomorrow till progably sunday. I would like to say all my bbs will stay online well Ihope they do
    so if not you maydo what you think best to do put it on hold or stop my feed

Thank you
    and have a nice day

Ian

1st, 2nd, 3rd Choice Core
    --- SBBSecho 3.07-Win32
    * Origin: 1st Choice Core nz (21:1/115)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Sneaky on Sat Feb 1 03:46:50 2020
    On 31 Jan 2020 at 10:36p, Sneaky pondered and said...

just letting you now I and going on holiday (nelson) tomorrow till progably sunday. I would like to say all my bbs will stay online well Ihope they do so if not you maydo what you think best to do put it on
    hold or stop my feed

Have a nice trip Ian... I'll just leave things as they are and all should be fine :)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A44 2020/01/29 (Windows/32)
  • From Sneaky@21:1/152 to Avon on Sat Feb 1 12:08:21 2020
    Hi Avon wrote to Sneaky <=-

On 31 Jan 2020 at 10:36p, Sneaky pondered and said...

just letting you now I and going on holiday (nelson) tomorrow till progably sunday. I would like to say all my bbs will stay online well Ihope they do so if not you maydo what you think best to do put it on
    hold or stop my feed

Have a nice trip Ian... I'll just leave things as they are and all
    should be fine :)

I will do, and thank you

Ian

2nd Choice Core Nz
    ___ MultiMail/Win v0.52

--- Mystic BBS/QWK v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: 2nd Choice Core|New Zealand (21:1/152)
  • From Oli@21:1/151 to All on Mon Mar 9 19:56:27 2020

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 22:30:00 +1100
    "Spectre -> Anyone" <0@101.3.21> wrote:

S> Calling all cars, anyone receiving? Over.

Yes!

S> If you see this perhaps answer in Gen. I'm seeing nothing in this echo

Ok.

---

---
  • From Zip@21:1/202 to Spectre on Mon Mar 9 22:03:51 2020
    Hello Spectre!

On 09 Mar 2020, Spectre said the following...

Calling all cars, anyone receiving? Over.

If you see this perhaps answer in Gen. I'm seeing nothing in this echo

Spec

--- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: (21:3/101)

Got it here, and replying there! :)

Best regards
    Zip

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/03/07 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (21:1/202)
  • From Al@21:4/106 to Spectre on Mon Mar 9 15:07:50 2020

*** Answering a msg posted in area FSX_NET (fsxNet Network Ops/Planning).

Hello Spectre,

I see your message and a few others. The FSX_NET area is fairly busy with talk of upgrades and such to do with TLS support.

Al

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to Zip on Tue Mar 10 11:27:00 2020
    If you see this perhaps answer in Gen. I'm seeing nothing
    in this echo

Got it here, and replying there! :)

Thank-you.

* Origin: < Scrawled in blood at The Lower Planes > (21:3/101)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Al on Tue Mar 10 11:29:00 2020
    *** Answering a msg posted in area FSX_NET (fsxNet Network
    Ops/Planning).

I see your message and a few others. The FSX_NET area is fairly busy
    with talk of upgrades and such to do with TLS support.

Thank-you... NET has always remained oddly empty here for some reason, finally decided to check it out :)

Spec

* Origin: < Scrawled in blood at The Lower Planes > (21:3/101)
  • From Phoobar@21:2/147 to Spectre on Mon Mar 9 20:10:41 2020

Will be kicking this over to Gen in a few.

ACME BBS-Member of fsxNet/WWIVNet/SciNet/AmigaNet/VKRadio/FidoNet/MicroNet.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/03/04 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: ACME BBS-I taut I taw a puddy tat! (21:2/147)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Phoobar on Tue Mar 10 15:29:00 2020
    Will be kicking this over to Gen in a few.

Danke Schon.. all replies located.

Spec

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    * Origin: Scrawled in haste at The Lower Planes (21:3/101)
  • From Phoobar@21:2/147 to Spectre on Tue Mar 10 01:36:30 2020
    Danke Schon.. all replies located.

Bitte Schon

ACME BBS-Member of fsxNet/WWIVNet/SciNet/AmigaNet/VKRadio/FidoNet/MicroNet.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/03/04 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: ACME BBS-I taut I taw a puddy tat! (21:2/147)