• Covid19

From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Sun Mar 15 00:25:12 2020
    The latest from here in New Zealand is that starting tomorrow anyone arriving from overseas will have to self quarantine for 14 days. Cruise ships coming here have been banned until sometime in June.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/03/12 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Avon on Sat Mar 14 13:08:00 2020
    Avon wrote to All <=-

The latest from here in New Zealand is that starting tomorrow anyone arriving from overseas will have to self quarantine for 14 days. Cruise ships coming here have been banned until sometime in June.

In California, Santa Clara County (where I work) and Santa Cruz County
    (where I live) have both been affected. a kid from a local elementary school tested positive, and my daughter's parochial school closed for 2 weeks. They moved the kids onto Google Classroom, and had the classrooms open for
    parents to pick up needed workbooks and textbooks, and turn any papers in.

The other parents took it as an opportunity to bring their kids along, and
    the playground was a big play date. Not clear on the concept of limiting contact; I think the best growth medium for any bacterium or virus has to be
    a play structure.

I went out to get some groceries on my lunch hour, and the crazy level is intensifying. 12+ people in every line, no hand sanitizer, no paper towels, canned beans and soups gone. People starting to get angry in crowded parking lots.

My son's school is closed for two weeks, I got a text message from the
    school district that they're going to do drive-through breakfast and lunch delivery for all school-aged kids. That's a growing concern, that poorer
    kids rely on school lunch programs to eat.

We're going to go for a drive along the beach this afternoon if it doesn't rain, and blow our data caps on Netflix if it does.

My company has strongly encouraged people to work from home for the next 2 weeks, and since a big part of my job is user support, think I'll be doing
    so as well. No users, no need to be in the office. The rest of my job I can
    do from *anywhere* I have internet access.

I'd use the opportunity to work from one of my favorite coffee shops, think I'll stay at home instead. I wonder if this pandemic will kill of the co- working sector any more than WeWork did?

I need a project for the next two weeks - think I might pick an online training class, clean up the BBS, or if I'm really motivated, move the BBS
    to my VPS and reclaim the hardware for something else.

... What do you think of the guests?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
    * Origin: http://realitycheckbbs.org (21:4/122)
  • From xqtr@21:1/111 to Avon on Sat Mar 14 23:30:15 2020
    The latest from here in New Zealand is that starting tomorrow anyone arriv from overseas will have to self quarantine for 14 days. Cruise ships comin here have been banned until sometime in June.

Status in Greece...
    - No flights between Italy and us
    - Albania (with about 10 cases) closed the borders on us
    - Schools, universities are closed for 15 days
    - All cafeterias are not allow to serve people on a table...only take away and
    delivery. All taverns closed down, as well as barber shops/coifurre
    - Cinemas, theaters all exhibitions, are canceled
    - In TV shows people are not allowed on the set.

All these, with about 150 confirmed cases and 3 deaths of people that had severe health problems. By Monday we expect more measures.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Another Droid BBS # andr01d.zapto.org:9999 (21:1/111)
  • From Phoobar@21:2/147 to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Mar 14 18:05:33 2020
    The other parents took it as an opportunity to bring their kids along,
    and the playground was a big play date. Not clear on the concept of limiting contact; I think the best growth medium for any bacterium or virus has to be a play structure.

Was working yesterday & people were bringing all their kids into the store.
    Of course...the kids were touching any/everything they could get their hands on...while the parents were busying talking to other parents...letting their kids tear the place up. During this whole situation...my main thought was "Thank god I spent that $45 to get myself fixed 20+ years ago. I'm not part of this problem."

Running out of hand soap (but plenty of other type of soap) & toilet paper...had tons of paper towels...but precious butts are too sensitive for anything but angel tears. Almost wanted to tell them during the emergency to
    go "Middle Eastern"...but not to shake with their left hand.

As I've said in other messages...from what I've seen & remember from
    Y2K...this herd needs culling or else the rapture many have been waiting for needs to happen for me to get new stuff of what's left.

ACME BBS-Member of fsxNet/WWIVNet/SciNet/AmigaNet/VKRadio/FidoNet/MicroNet.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/03/09 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: ACME BBS-I taut I taw a puddy tat! (21:2/147)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Avon on Sun Mar 15 23:53:00 2020
    On 03-14-20 20:25, Avon wrote to All <=-

Similar in Australia was announced today.

... I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Phoobar on Sun Mar 15 15:03:00 2020
    Running out of hand soap (but plenty of other type of soap) & toilet paper...had tons of paper towels...but precious butts are too sensitive for anything but angel tears. Almost wanted to tell them during

Hand towel is gone here as well as the ol' bog roll. We must have butts made of sterner stuff ;) But I don't think you'd want a toilet paper scruncher and scrubber with the hand towel.

As I've said in other messages...from what I've seen & remember from Y2K...this herd needs culling or else the rapture many have been waiting

It might sound harsh and callous, but I've wondered about that for a looong time. We've been saving "defective" genes for a long time... some serious thinning ought to toughen up the remaining stock.

Spec

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    --- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: Scrawled in haste at The Lower Planes (21:3/101)
  • From Phoobar@21:2/147 to Vk3jed on Mon Mar 16 02:11:42 2020
    arriving from overseas will have to self quarantine for 14 days. Crui ships coming here have been banned until sometime in June.
    Similar in Australia was announced today.

Was reading here in the States that the travel industry is doing everything
    to lie to the public to keep the tickets being bought. One of the lies is that COVID-19 doesn't spread in cold weather. Add to that...Canadian regs don't require any running water in any aircraft...no matter the size. People were surprised that the airlines have a bottle of hand sanitizer on a shelf in the restroom...but no running water.

• From Phoobar@21:2/147 to Spectre on Mon Mar 16 02:29:43 2020
    Hand towel is gone here as well as the ol' bog roll. We must have
    butts made of sterner stuff ;) But I don't think you'd want a toilet paper scruncher and scrubber with the hand towel.

Usually at work...just use the hand dryer. At my workstation...use a ton of Lysol cleaner to keep the area clean...along with it...my hands.

looong time. We've been saving "defective" genes for a long time...
    some serious thinning ought to toughen up the remaining stock.

I'm just as callous many times when I see some people out in public. This Covid-19 may just be a calling card to do what we won't.

Personally...never had/will have kids. Got fixed in 1999...due to the fact
    that I had a sibling growing up with MD. Raised myself & have paid the cost
    for doing this in terms of relationships. I die...means I meet my cat again & no more issues to deal with. Only have myself...so am not leaving anyone
    behind I care for. Don't misunderstand me...I'm not ready to die...but when I do...I'll have nothing keeping me here.

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Phoobar on Mon Mar 16 20:55:00 2020
    On 03-15-20 22:11, Phoobar wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Was reading here in the States that the travel industry is doing everything to lie to the public to keep the tickets being bought. One
    of the lies is that COVID-19 doesn't spread in cold weather. Add to that...Canadian regs don't require any running water in any
    aircraft...no matter the size. People were surprised that the airlines have a bottle of hand sanitizer on a shelf in the restroom...but no running water.

Ouch! :( That's crazy. Here, the travel industry accepts that they're in trouble. I'm likely to have to cancel some travel plans for next month. One of my reasons for that trip - the national Masters athletics championships have been cancelled. I can still go up for family reasons, but it's questionable how much travel will be actually possible, even domestically.

... You can tell a real programmer by the keyboard dents in his face.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Phoobar@21:2/147 to Vk3jed on Mon Mar 16 15:39:14 2020
    that...Canadian regs don't require any running water in any aircraft...no matter the size. People were surprised that the airline have a bottle of hand sanitizer on a shelf in the restroom...but no running water.
    Ouch! :( That's crazy. Here, the travel industry accepts that they're
    in trouble. I'm likely to have to cancel some travel plans for next month. One of my reasons for that trip - the national Masters athletics championships have been cancelled. I can still go up for family
    reasons, but it's questionable how much travel will be actually
    possible, even domestically.

Can see the same thing as crossing into East Germany during the "Cold War".

At least 1 good thing is the Canadian government is looking at changing things...unlike here with the OPOS who won't allow anyone to change anything because it will cut into its profits.

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Phoobar on Tue Mar 17 13:42:00 2020
    On 03-16-20 11:39, Phoobar wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Can see the same thing as crossing into East Germany during the "Cold War".

Yep.

At least 1 good thing is the Canadian government is looking at changing things...unlike here with the OPOS who won't allow anyone to change anything because it will cut into its profits.

Please elaborate, what is the Canadian government changing? Here in Australia, there's likely to be constant changes as the situation changes and information becomes more available. Some expert epidemiologists are already saying we should avoid social gatherings of more than 10 people. That advice may change government policy, which currently bans non essential gatherings of more than 500 people. Some states have declared a state of emergency, which means these government containment measures can be legally enforced.

... Maintenance Free: Impossible to fix.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Phoobar@21:2/147 to Vk3jed on Tue Mar 17 04:13:18 2020
    At least 1 good thing is the Canadian government is looking at changi things...unlike here with the OPOS who won't allow anyone to change
    Please elaborate, what is the Canadian government changing? Here in

They are talking about requiring any plane flying to have running water.
    Those which don't won't fly. As with many things like this...once the danger passes...things will go back to the way they were before until the next thing rears it's ugly head. Here in the US...you will see things go back to what
    they were before before the danger is over...as long as it won't cost the companies any more money than before.

states have declared a state of emergency, which means these government containment measures can be legally enforced.

Here in the US...many times it doesn't matter what's in the best interest of the public...as long as someone can make money off of it or money can be/is free speech. That's much of the problem here is that money is the same as
    free speech.

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Phoobar on Tue Mar 17 23:55:00 2020
    On 03-17-20 00:13, Phoobar wrote to Vk3jed <=-=

They are talking about requiring any plane flying to have running
    water. Those which don't won't fly. As with many things like
    this...once the danger passes...things will go back to the way they
    were before until the next thing rears it's ugly head. Here in the US...you will see things go back to what they were before before the danger is over...as long as it won't cost the companies any more money than before.

As far as I've seen, all planes flying here have running water.

Here in the US...many times it doesn't matter what's in the best
    interest of the public...as long as someone can make money off of it or money can be/is free speech. That's much of the problem here is that
    money is the same as free speech.

Yeah that sucks. :/

... Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have a beer
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Phoobar@21:2/147 to Vk3jed on Wed Mar 18 22:09:16 2020
    They are talking about requiring any plane flying to have running water. Those which don't won't fly. As with many things like this...once the danger passes...things will go back to the way they
    As far as I've seen, all planes flying here have running water.

That's a good thing. Issue is that the airlines bought these small planes for jaunts thinking there wasn't an issue for short flights needing running water
    & added cost from the weight.

money can be/is free speech. That's much of the problem here is that money is the same as free speech.
    Yeah that sucks. :/

It certainly does...but corporations can't go to jail...but someone like
    myself could be. When you consider an EMP could destroy any money these folks/corporations in an instant...so their free speech is worthless.

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Phoobar on Thu Mar 19 16:32:00 2020
    On 03-18-20 18:09, Phoobar wrote to Vk3jed <=-

That's a good thing. Issue is that the airlines bought these small
    planes for jaunts thinking there wasn't an issue for short flights
    needing running water & added cost from the weight.

Probably because here there's also a good chance that a plane that normally does a "short flight" could be called upon to fly a longer route. Distances rapidly increase here, there's not much in the middle. :)

Even the trains that run here have running water for a ~2 hour trip.

It certainly does...but corporations can't go to jail...but someone
    like myself could be. When you consider an EMP could destroy any money these folks/corporations in an instant...so their free speech is worthless.

Yes, an EMP could really screw up the economy, who knows what who has then? :)

... Objects in taglines are closer than they appear.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From mastermind@21:1/101 to Vk3jed on Thu Mar 19 19:17:05 2020
    Please elaborate, what is the Canadian government changing? Here in Australia, there's likely to be constant changes as the situation
    changes and information becomes more available. Some expert epidemiologists are already saying we should avoid social gatherings of more than 10 people. That advice may change government policy, which currently bans non essential gatherings of more than 500 people. Some states have declared a state of emergency, which means these government containment measures can be legally enforced.

i fear that its coming your way the same as everywhere else; ya'll should heed now, and will heed later, to all of it. its fairly nuts here, a solid fairly.

:P

M@STERMiND

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/03/18 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Phoobar@21:2/147 to Vk3jed on Wed Mar 18 23:43:43 2020
    Probably because here there's also a good chance that a plane that normally does a "short flight" could be called upon to fly a longer
    route. Distances rapidly increase here, there's not much in the middle.

Same thing here in places like Wyoming & such. Thank god you can do 80 MPH there & 85 MPH in parts of Idaho...so you don't have to see much of the
    nothing there.

these folks/corporations in an instant...so their free speech is worthless.
    Yes, an EMP could really screw up the economy, who knows what who has then? :)

They might have a paper statement...but at that time...the paper would be
    worth more than the ink on it.

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to mastermind on Thu Mar 19 19:04:00 2020
    On 03-19-20 15:17, mastermind wrote to Vk3jed <=-

i fear that its coming your way the same as everywhere else; ya'll
    should heed now, and will heed later, to all of it. its fairly nuts
    here, a solid fairly.

Yes, it's definitely coming... :/

... A fool with a tool is a well-equipped fool
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Phoobar on Thu Mar 19 19:09:00 2020
    On 03-18-20 19:43, Phoobar wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Same thing here in places like Wyoming & such. Thank god you can do 80
    MPH there & 85 MPH in parts of Idaho...so you don't have to see much of the nothing there.

Still crowded compared to our outback. :D

They might have a paper statement...but at that time...the paper would
    be worth more than the ink on it.

True. :)

... Desperate diseases require desperate remedies.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Phoobar@21:2/147 to Vk3jed on Thu Mar 19 19:11:02 2020
    MPH there & 85 MPH in parts of Idaho...so you don't have to see much the nothing there.

Thought there were a lot of mining & such out there. It sounds a lot like the way mining towns owned by the companies were over 100 years ago here in the
    US. Hate to sound stupid/ill informed...but are there a lot of towns like
    from the movie "Crocodile Dundee"? Driving out West...you have towns
    stretched out all over the place 50-75 miles apart. Same way out there?

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Phoobar on Fri Mar 20 19:05:00 2020
    On 03-19-20 15:11, Phoobar wrote to Vk3jed <=-

MPH there & 85 MPH in parts of Idaho...so you don't have to see much the nothing there.

Thought there were a lot of mining & such out there. It sounds a lot
    like the way mining towns owned by the companies were over 100 years
    ago here in the US. Hate to sound stupid/ill informed...but are there a lot of towns like from the movie "Crocodile Dundee"? Driving out West...you have towns stretched out all over the place 50-75 miles
    apart. Same way out there?

There is mining in some areas, but there's also other areas with lots of nothing.

... You tell 'em Bean, He's stringing you.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Phoobar@21:2/147 to Vk3jed on Fri Mar 20 05:59:44 2020
    Thought there were a lot of mining & such out there. It sounds a lot like the way mining towns owned by the companies were over 100 years
    There is mining in some areas, but there's also other areas with lots of nothing.

Yeah...Wyoming is the same way. ;D

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Phoobar on Sat Mar 21 00:19:00 2020
    On 03-20-20 01:59, Phoobar wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Thought there were a lot of mining & such out there. It sounds a lot like the way mining towns owned by the companies were over 100 years

A lot smaller area though. Western Australia is 3 times the size of Texas, and that's only got a part of the Outback. You have to add significant parts of South Australia, Queensland, Northern Territory and New South Wales as well! :)

... Elevators smell different to midgets
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Phoobar@21:2/147 to Vk3jed on Fri Mar 20 18:43:58 2020
    A lot smaller area though. Western Australia is 3 times the size of Texas, and that's only got a part of the Outback. You have to add significant parts of South Australia, Queensland, Northern Territory and New South Wales as well! :)

Thought Tasmania was in the mix as well.

When we add in many parts of the Western US...with North/South Dakota...even parts of Texas (which you should love to have to add to the area)...close to the same size.

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Phoobar on Sat Mar 21 14:03:00 2020
    On 03-20-20 14:43, Phoobar wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Not as far as the "outback" goes. Tasmania is a small, relatively mountainous state.

When we add in many parts of the Western US...with North/South Dakota...even parts of Texas (which you should love to have to add to
    the area)...close to the same size.

I bet there's a lot more moderate sized cities scattered throughout there. Australia has no significant cities (> 100,000 people) more than around 100 miles from the coast that I can think of.

... The number you have dailed...Nine-one-one...has been changed.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Phoobar@21:2/147 to Vk3jed on Fri Mar 20 21:40:10 2020
    Not as far as the "outback" goes. Tasmania is a small, relatively mountainous state.

Good camping???

I bet there's a lot more moderate sized cities scattered throughout
    there. Australia has no significant cities (> 100,000 people) more than around 100 miles from the coast that I can think of.

Some of these places...maybe 25K...up to 100K...but this is very rare for
    much of this area. Mostly...200-3000.

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Phoobar on Sat Mar 21 18:13:00 2020
    On 03-20-20 17:40, Phoobar wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Good camping???

Yes, and hiking. Places like Cradle Mountain are very popular with hikers. There's also some excellent trout fishing in central Tasmania.

I bet there's a lot more moderate sized cities scattered throughout
    there. Australia has no significant cities (> 100,000 people) more than around 100 miles from the coast that I can think of.

Some of these places...maybe 25K...up to 100K...but this is very rare
    for much of this area. Mostly...200-3000.

I still think we have a lit fewer people with further between. :)

... Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Phoobar@21:2/147 to Vk3jed on Sat Mar 21 04:16:54 2020
    Good camping???
    Yes, and hiking. Places like Cradle Mountain are very popular with hikers. There's also some excellent trout fishing in central Tasmania.

Why do you do this to me???? It sounds fantastic & there's no way I can
    visit. Got any links to where I can burn up my keyboard from me slobbering
    into it. ;)

Some of these places...maybe 25K...up to 100K...but this is very rare for much of this area. Mostly...200-3000.

Are they like the red hat wearing geniuses we have here? Even ran into one of these creatures this evening & it had even bred. Felt at least half my IQ
    being sucked out being in the same general area. It had to do a little bit of looking at colors to make up for what it wanted...but threw a fit because
    that was just too much for it.

Too bad that I can't replace their hats with: Keeping America Stupid. Here's
    a story you will enjoy: https://tinyurl.com/tx3a3b6

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to Phoobar on Fri Mar 20 14:42:00 2020
    here in the US. Hate to sound stupid/ill informed...but
    are there a lot of towns like from the movie "Crocodile Dundee"?
    Driving out West...you have towns stretched out all over the place
    50-75 miles apart. Same way out there?

Depends where you look I think. For the most part towns in that kind of range or closer tend to be ex gold mining towns. While current mining operations may
    have something setup close to the mine, and then its like 3-500 miles back to town. (I'm not any authority though) There are regions like Gove, can't recall
    whats there, but theres no road, its all flights in and out.

Spec

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    --- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: Scrawled in haste at The Lower Planes (21:3/101)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Phoobar on Sat Mar 21 23:01:00 2020
    On 03-21-20 00:16, Phoobar wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Why do you do this to me???? It sounds fantastic & there's no way I can visit. Got any links to where I can burn up my keyboard from me
    slobbering into it. ;)

Google is your friend (since I'd have to do the same). :) Well, maybe once the COVID-19 crisis passes. :)

Some of these places...maybe 25K...up to 100K...but this is very rare for much of this area. Mostly...200-3000.

Are they like the red hat wearing geniuses we have here? Even ran into
    one of these creatures this evening & it had even bred. Felt at least
    half my IQ being sucked out being in the same general area. It had to
    do a little bit of looking at colors to make up for what it
    wanted...but threw a fit because that was just too much for it.

The reference is lost on me (must be a US thing).

Too bad that I can't replace their hats with: Keeping America Stupid. Here's a story you will enjoy: https://tinyurl.com/tx3a3b6

Arrrgh, another bloody site that hates ad blockers. :/

... If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Phoobar@21:2/147 to Spectre on Mon Mar 23 03:20:06 2020
    3-500 miles back to town. (I'm not any authority though) There are regions like Gove, can't recall whats there, but theres no road, its all flights in and out.

Out there in Arizona...many of the towns were 50-60 miles apart. Used to work with a guy who moved there from Missouri who thought he'd clean up doing
    piano tuning. He found out way too late that he was spending more in wasted time/petrol than he could make.

In terms of Gove...sounds like Area 51 in Nevada. They have flights in/out
    from Vegas in there everyday. The tin foil crowd says there are no roads
    in/out of there...but the place looks like a developed town you would see
    like around Vegas or down your way.

• From Phoobar@21:2/147 to Vk3jed on Mon Mar 23 03:50:39 2020
    Are they like the red hat wearing geniuses we have here? Even ran int one of these creatures this evening & it had even bred. Felt at least half my IQ being sucked out being in the same general area. It had to do a little bit of looking at colors to make up for what it wanted...but threw a fit because that was just too much for it.
    The reference is lost on me (must be a US thing).

What I'm talking about is people who are proud of being bullies & idiots.
    Never thought being either of these was something to be proud of. Try this link: https://tinyurl.com/usn9c8g Here's another: https://tinyurl.com/wfrkmnj

Neither of these will throw a fit about your ad blocker...since they didn't
    do anything about mine.

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Phoobar on Tue Mar 24 00:32:00 2020
    On 03-22-20 23:50, Phoobar wrote to Vk3jed <=-

I don't even know what to make of this, it's just incomprehensible.

... Maybe the dingo ate your avatar.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux