• dupe messages again?

From ryan@21:1/168 to All on Mon Mar 16 23:05:39 2020
    I keep getting a random smattering of dupe messages each day. Anyone else noticing this?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: monterey bbs (21:1/168)
  • From alterego@21:2/116 to ryan on Tue Mar 17 17:33:25 2020
    Re: dupe messages again?
    By: ryan to All on Mon Mar 16 2020 07:05 pm

Hey Ryan,

I keep getting a random smattering of dupe messages each day. Anyone else noticing this?

I am aware of a situation where dupes are being received - and those dupes are originating from 3/101 (but not because something Spectre is doing...)

Are the dupes you seeing from 3/101?
    ...deon

... If people don't want to come to the ball park, nobody's going to stop them --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
    * Origin: I'm playing with ANSI+videotex - wanna play too? (21:2/116)
  • From ryan@21:1/168 to alterego on Mon Mar 16 23:42:49 2020
    Are the dupes you seeing from 3/101?

I'll have to keep an eye out. I suppose I could look back in time but I'm exhausted right now and not firing on all cylinders hehe

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: monterey bbs (21:1/168)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to alterego on Tue Mar 17 20:45:00 2020
    I am aware of a situation where dupes are being received - and those dupes are originating from 3/101 (but not because something Spectre is
    doing...)

How does that work? They come from TLP but I'm not doing it :P Or is this the same thing we saw last time, where the round robin of hubs sometimes get the same message from two different directions and think both are new messages?

Spec

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    --- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: Scrawled in haste at The Lower Planes (21:3/101)
  • From alterego@21:2/116 to Spectre on Tue Mar 17 20:57:49 2020
    By: Spectre to alterego on Tue Mar 17 2020 04:45 pm

How does that work? They come from TLP but I'm not doing it :P Or is this the same thing we saw last time, where the round robin of hubs sometimes get the same message from two different directions and think both are new messages?

Yeah.

When your message leaves you, its has soft-CRs (0x8d) in it, which the hub forwards on as is.

When it forwards it directly to my BBS, the soft-CRs are intact.

When it forwards it to a mystic BBS, it removes those soft-CRs and forwards the
    message on.

When I get it from my hub, I get a new version of your message that doesnt have
    soft-CRs there - so it looks like a new message.

Its the same problem that happened last year(?) when 2 of the hubs switched over to Husky - which I guess also doesnt strip the soft-CRs.
    ...deon

... Misery loves company, but company does not reciprocate.
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to alterego on Wed Mar 18 01:43:00 2020
    When your message leaves you, its has soft-CRs (0x8d) in it, which the hub forwards on as is.

Oooh ok ponder... is there any point trying to substitute hard-CRs for soft-CRs? I don't think there's anything I can change here but if I lose the arj compression I could then try and run something else on the pkts before sending...

Just a thought.

Spec

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    --- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: Scrawled in haste at The Lower Planes (21:3/101)
  • From alterego@21:2/116 to Spectre on Wed Mar 18 02:15:30 2020
    By: Spectre to alterego on Tue Mar 17 2020 09:43 pm

Oooh ok ponder... is there any point trying to substitute hard-CRs for soft-CRs? I don't think there's anything I can change here but if I lose the arj compression I could then try and run something else on the pkts before sending...

Nah, I dont think you need to change anything - there is nothing wrong with them, and it is quite normal that BBS has them.

Mail tossers "should" not modify messages as they pass through their systems (from what I've read), but because one is, it appears to be the cause of the dupes.

I've learnt though that DM has an ignore SoftCRs configuration for Synchronet, which ignores them when doing the dupe checking - so turning that on for Synchronet systems is a working workaround for them.

Happy days...
    ...deon

... The most popular labour-saving device today is still a husband with money. --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux