• Stage 4 COVID

From The Godfather@21:1/165 to All on Sat Jul 11 19:39:08 2020
    Hey all,

Curious to know, for those at State 4 reopening or beyond, what it's been
    like from a work prospective. Have you been told to continue working from home, have split shifts to ensure a sanitary environment, between changes in shift, or were you asked to get your behind back to work full time? Also curious how your company is doing regarding sanitary conditions, and what practices of you they are monitoring closely? I ask as I have a chance to
    get back to work but am high risk for COVID and would like to have your experiences to form a set of questions to ask them relating to the aforementioned. And .. just curious.

-tG

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: The Underground [@] theunderground.us:10023 <-port (21:1/165)
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to The Godfather on Sat Jul 11 21:59:41 2020
    On 11 Jul 2020, The Godfather said the following...

Hey all,

Curious to know, for those at State 4 reopening or beyond, what it's been like from a work prospective. Have you been told to continue working
    from home, have split shifts to ensure a sanitary environment, between changes in shift, or were you asked to get your behind back to work full time? Also curious how your company is doing regarding sanitary conditions, and what practices of you they are monitoring closely? I
    ask as I have a chance to get back to work but am high risk for COVID
    and would like to have your experiences to form a set of questions to
    ask them relating to the aforementioned. And .. just curious.

-tG

So, my career is much different than mostly everyone; but that does give me some insight as to what goes on in places that might be different from your 9-5, or your corporate careers...

I own a small sales company, and I employ less than 10 ppl... in Oregon, we
    are able to work at full-tilt, without much oversight from... anyone. (So
    long as we don't bend any rules..)

Point being, I'm not seeing much oversight or roadblocks, for the idiots, at all.. The 'out in public' businesses are freaking hustling more crazily than ever... trying to make up for lost income and time. So, out in the WORLD... it's like worse than it was pre-covid..

I simply mean that what I see as far as traffic outside, from contractors and next tier bosses; they are hustling like they didn't have to last year. It isn't safe. It isn't what I'd think is good practice... I try to employ
    decent rules for MY employees, but its a freaking zoo out here man... Home Depots are disgusting cesspools of non-compliance and even push-back. So; if you work in the corporate world, as my partner does, expect something totally different... but if you work in the nitty gritty, expect it to be as nitty
    and gritty as it ever was.

I'm [still] worried about the Covid-outcome.. and when I say so, even on the BBSes, I get looked at like *I'M* the idiot.. told 'I'm not wearing that
    fackin mask - I don't get it.

Hopefully you DON'T make a career as an owner, or contractor... because WE aren't getting any slack for Covid being here. It's crazy.

pAULIE42o

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: American Pi BBS (21:2/150)
  • From Blue White@21:4/134 to The Godfather on Sun Jul 12 14:14:48 2020
    Curious to know, for those at State 4 reopening or beyond, what it's
    been like from a work prospective. Have you been told to continue
    working from home, have split shifts to ensure a sanitary environment, between changes in shift, or were you asked to get your behind back to work full time? Also curious how your company is doing regarding sanitary conditions, and what practices of you they are monitoring closely? I ask as I have a chance to get back to work but am high risk for COVID and would like to have your experiences to form a set of questions to ask them relating to the aforementioned. And .. just curious.

I am honestly not certain what stage we are at here, but I was in a meeting
    on Friday with my division director. He said our division would be WFH for
    "at least" 6 more months.

Our building can technically be at 50% capacity right now but they have
    pretty much said that only people whose job won't allow WFH (those folks
    have been there the whole time) and people who were finding it unpleasant
    to WFH should actually be back in the building full time. Soon, I think
    they are going to add "people who are underperforming." Other than that,
    if we can WFH they really don't want us back in the building.

One of the points of contention appears to be the common areas, the
    restrooms in particular. "They" (not sure if that is my employer or our cleaning staff) do not have the resources to put cleaning staff in each restroom full time. The alternative being thrown around right before they turned us loose in March was that we would have to clean the parts of the restroom we used after each use. As you can imagine, not trusting our co-workers to do their part made this unacceptable.

The number of persons who would have to ride the elevators at one time, and
    the number of people who would have to be monitored (in particular when we first arrive in the morning) are other issues.

As a reference, I work in a 12-floor building, 2 restrooms a floor, with at least 1100 people there when we are at full capacity. I think that number
    went up over the Winter, right before all Hell broke loose.

Also, everyone had to wear masks if they are in the building. I say "had"
    as there has since been an executive order that everyone has to wear one if they are in buildings. So, they are still wearing them at work but it is
    no longer just a policy in our building.

... Tell me, is something eluding you, Sunshine?
    --- MultiMail
    * Origin: Possum Lodge South * possumso.fsxnet.nz:7636/SSH:2122 (21:4/134)
  • From nristen@21:1/161 to The Godfather on Mon Jul 13 03:38:03 2020
    Curious to know, for those at State 4 reopening or beyond, what it's been like from a work prospective. Have you been told to continue working
    from home, have split shifts to ensure a sanitary environment, between changes in shift, or were you asked to get your behind back to work full time? Also curious how your company is doing regarding sanitary conditions, and what practices of you they are monitoring closely? I
    ask as I have a chance to get back to work but am high risk for COVID
    and would like to have your experiences to form a set of questions to
    ask them relating to the aforementioned. And .. just curious.

Was just informed that everyone will continue working from home until the end of the year. Crazy thing is that the company beat all of the sales/support goals by 160% since people started working from home.

nristen (Karl Harris)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/03/07 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The Search BBS bbs.theharrisclan.net 34123/2222 (21:1/161)
  • From Ogg@21:4/106.21 to nristen on Sun Jul 12 23:27:00 2020
    Hello nristen!

** On Sunday 12.07.20 - 23:38, nristen wrote to The Godfather:

Was just informed that everyone will continue working from home until
    the end of the year. Crazy thing is that the company beat all of the sales/support goals by 160% since people started working from home.

What industry are you in?

--- OpenXP 5.0.45
    * Origin: (} Pointy McPointFace (21:4/106.21)
  • From calcmandan@21:1/137 to nristen on Tue Jul 14 10:03:00 2020
    nristen wrote to The Godfather <=-

the end of the year. Crazy thing is that the company beat all of the sales/support goals by 160% since people started working from home.

My work is permanently work from home. Our productivity is through the roof and staff morale is at an all time high. We may reduce our footprint in the office buildings we occupy.

I've already gone to the office to gather my things. Other than my name plate, there's no indication I'm assigned to the cubicle.

Daniel Traechin

... Visit me at gopher://gcpp.world
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.49
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From The Godfather@21:1/165 to calcmandan on Tue Jul 14 11:12:45 2020
    My work is permanently work from home. Our productivity is through the roof and staff morale is at an all time high. We may reduce our
    footprint in the office buildings we occupy.

I've already gone to the office to gather my things. Other than my name plate, there's no indication I'm assigned to the cubicle.

Daniel Traechin

Daniel,

What type of work do you do?

• From Weatherman@21:1/132 to Calcmandan on Tue Jul 14 12:13:23 2020

My work is permanently work from home. Our productivity is through the
    roof and staff morale is at an all time high. We may reduce our footprint
    in the office buildings we occupy.

That will likely be what happens with our IT team as well. There is no reason why it shouldn't be permanent remote work, only going on-site as needed. They will also get to save on the real estate leases by closing all the remote offices.

In general I think people like the work changes (minus the really social people, which are having the most difficult time not doing face to face in person stuff). Due to the financial impacts to the organization, most departments have forced furlough where you must at take time-off at least once a week. It is uncertain if there will be staff reduction, so most people are uneasy about all the above. Hopefully things get back to more normal soon, but I feel this will go on as long as there is limited options for work. We went from an employee job market to an employer job market litterly, overnight.

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
    * Origin: http://www.weather-station.org * Bel Air, MD -USA (21:1/132.0)
  • From nristen@21:1/161 to Ogg on Wed Jul 15 01:14:35 2020
    Was just informed that everyone will continue working from home until the end of the year. Crazy thing is that the company beat all of the sales/support goals by 160% since people started working from home.

What industry are you in?

Security Administration at Rackspace

nristen (Karl Harris)

• From nristen@21:1/161 to calcmandan on Wed Jul 15 01:18:06 2020

My work is permanently work from home. Our productivity is through the roof and staff morale is at an all time high. We may reduce our

I had to get special permission to get back in the office, but I collected my extra monitors recently.

I am sure that one outcome of this is more widespread working from home.

nristen (Karl Harris)

• From calcmandan@21:1/137 to The Godfather on Wed Jul 15 00:40:00 2020
    The Godfather wrote to calcmandan <=-

Daniel Traechin

Daniel,

What type of work do you do?

InfoSec.

I even collected my chair because my cheap-in-comparison home office chair began
    shedding leather after a month of working from home.

I needed the expensive professional office chair designed to survive the scrutiny.

Daniel Traechin
  • From The Godfather@21:1/165 to calcmandan on Wed Jul 15 12:09:41 2020
    I even collected my chair because my cheap-in-comparison home office
    chair began
    I needed the expensive professional office chair designed to survive the scrutiny.

Ha! Thats classic! Love it. What brand chair? I've been looking for a
    more comfortable one then my cheap office chair I'm using now. I hear the gaming chairs are rather comfortable, but they look pretty thin with large lumbar. I'd "test drive" one, however I'm not aware of a retailer locally
    that sells them, and I don't go out with covid much.

• From Weatherman@21:1/132 to Nristen on Wed Jul 15 12:12:47 2020

Security Administration at Rackspace

nristen (Karl Harris)

Always wondered how it was working for a cloud provider. It seems like it would be one of the best roles for someone really into technology/IT.

I'm hoping that with the increased remote work options that jobs that it will open up more possibilities (where I could work for a company in a different state) without issue. Being limited to your local area is getting more and more challenging.

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From The Godfather@21:1/165 to Weatherman on Wed Jul 15 12:32:32 2020
    I'm hoping that with the increased remote work options that jobs that it will open up more possibilities (where I could work for a company in a different state) without issue. Being limited to your local area is getting more and more challenging.

- Mark

The biggest issue I've seen with those working from home (just in my
    experience with this class) is the person's ISP. I've noticed Comcast drops out or buffers A LOT. But if companies had everyone working from home, there wouldn't be a need for as large of buildings and rent, therefore should then
    be able to afford running some nice fiber lines to their employees homes. I wonder how UI/UX teams will function working from home; should be interesting to hear others roles and how they are managing.

• From Weatherman@21:1/132 to Calcmandan on Wed Jul 15 12:32:14 2020

I even collected my chair because my cheap-in-comparison home office chair began

I used to have one of those "pleather shedding chairs" at home, too. Drove me nuts since it left the stuff all over the place. Finally replaced it and so far so good on the new one.

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From Weatherman@21:1/132 to The Godfather on Wed Jul 15 12:50:30 2020

The biggest issue I've seen with those working from home (just in my experience with this class) is the person's ISP. I've noticed Comcast
    drops out or buffers A LOT. But if companies had everyone working from home, there wouldn't be a need for as large of buildings and rent, therefore should then be able to afford running some nice fiber lines to their employees homes. I wonder how UI/UX teams will function working
    from home; should be interesting to hear others roles and how they are managing.

Many companies are not renewing leases to save money and moving to remote work where possible. Part of the job requirement will likely be having decent internet connectivity - unlikely that it will be work provided. People are saving money in gas - could get a better speed tier if necessary.

The people I see having the most issues are the ones joining video meetings from their cell phone. That is the worst since you are dealing with wireless/cellular and a small device. Always always jitters, creates feedback and other issues.

I never had issues when I had Comcast/cable modem over the years, but moved to fiber connectivity earlier this year with Verizon. It is without a doubt the best option available and more important these days with all the remote work.

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Weatherman on Wed Jul 15 11:52:00 2020
    Weatherman wrote to Calcmandan <=-

I used to have one of those "pleather shedding chairs" at home, too.
    Drove me nuts since it left the stuff all over the place. Finally replaced it and so far so good on the new one.

It's a catch-22 - when I was looking for a job from home I couldn't
    afford to replace my shedding chair and had to spend 8 hours sitting
    on an uncomfortable, ugly chair. One of the first things I did when I
    found work was to replace it with an inexpensive mesh chair, and I
    love it.

... Abandon desire
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Weatherman on Wed Jul 15 11:57:00 2020
    Weatherman wrote to The Godfather <=-

Many companies are not renewing leases to save money and moving to
    remote work where possible. Part of the job requirement will likely be having decent internet connectivity - unlikely that it will be work provided. People are saving money in gas - could get a better speed
    tier if necessary.

It's interesting to watch - office footprints are being redesigned to
    support social distancing, and they're able to support 1/3 of the
    headcount they'd previously packed into long back-to-back rows.

We're redesigning a new office, and I'm guessing it's going to be a
    reservation system - go to Sharepoint, reserve a desk for the day,
    and if they're all taken, work from home.

I never had issues when I had Comcast/cable modem over the years, but moved to fiber connectivity earlier this year with Verizon. It is
    without a doubt the best option available and more important these days with all the remote work.

Working from home and remote schooling might turn the tide - If you
    could stream a couple of networks and get fiber to the home to be
    able to work, it might sway people away from Comcast's 200+ channels
    and daily 10:15am network disruption.

... A very small object -Its centre
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From Warpslide@21:3/110.1 to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed Jul 15 22:09:16 2020
    *** Quoting poindexter FORTRAN from a message to Weatherman ***

One of the first things I did when I found work was to replace it with
    an inexpensive mesh chair, and I love it.

I love my mesh chair. I'm almost always hot, so I needed something that breathed. Unfortunatly my cat also loves this chair, so now some of the mesh is torn and it kind of looks fuzzy...

Jay

... You can't teach people to be lazy-either they have it, or they don't.

--- Telegard v3.09.g2-sp4/mL
    * Origin: Northern Realms/TG | bbs.nrbbs.net:2323 (21:3/110.1)
  • From Weatherman@21:1/132 to Poindexter Fortran on Wed Jul 15 23:23:45 2020

It's a catch-22 - when I was looking for a job from home I couldn't
    afford to replace my shedding chair and had to spend 8 hours sitting
    on an uncomfortable, ugly chair. One of the first things I did when I
    found work was to replace it with an inexpensive mesh chair, and I
    love it.

In my case, the uncomfortable chair was the one at work. It was like sitting on a cement block. At the time, I had did something to one of the nerves in the back of my leg and started sitting on the floor in my office because it was more comfortable.

I normally don't care about that stuff, but the nerve pain I was having at the time was really bad and that chair made things worse. I was better off standing.

Eventually work got me a new chair - the same one I have in my home office. It wasn't expensive at all, but has cushion and doesn't shed. It was no more than $80 at the most.

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From Weatherman@21:1/132 to Poindexter Fortran on Wed Jul 15 23:30:24 2020

It's interesting to watch - office footprints are being redesigned to support social distancing, and they're able to support 1/3 of the
    headcount they'd previously packed into long back-to-back rows.

This is one of the positive things to come out of the virus. We were getting to the point they would cram people on top of each other if possible in really small spaces. I hate that and certainly don't mind the extra space.

We're redesigning a new office, and I'm guessing it's going to be a reservation system - go to Sharepoint, reserve a desk for the day,
    and if they're all taken, work from home.

We will likely end up with a common hoteling space for a few people that visit the sites from time to time, but will work remote by default. That works for me.

Working from home and remote schooling might turn the tide - If you
    could stream a couple of networks and get fiber to the home to be
    able to work, it might sway people away from Comcast's 200+ channels
    and daily 10:15am network disruption.

Ever since January 2020, I have been 100% streaming over here. I have the same internet speed at home as they have at work (1G/1G). Mine costs much less, though.

As much as I like the idea of remote schooling, I just don't see it working. There is no way to get elementary or teenagers to stay on point and do what they should be doing via remote video. Not to mention who is supposed to be staying home with them for parents that both work.

The social interaction is important and shouldn't be forgotten in all this.

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From calcmandan@21:1/137 to The Godfather on Wed Jul 15 20:29:00 2020
    The Godfather wrote to calcmandan <=-

Ha! Thats classic! Love it. What brand chair? I've been looking for
    a more comfortable one then my cheap office chair I'm using now. I
    hear the gaming chairs are rather comfortable, but they look pretty
    thin with large lumbar. I'd "test drive" one, however I'm not aware of
    a retailer locally that sells them, and I don't go out with covid much.

I work for my state and we are mandated to buy everything from Prison Industry Authrority. So, it's made by prisoners.

Daniel Traechin

• From calcmandan@21:1/137 to Weatherman on Wed Jul 15 20:30:00 2020

Drove me nuts since it left the stuff all over the place. Finally replaced it and so far so good on the new one.

I know right? I saw bits of black all over the house as it would fall off my clothes. It's now sitting in a guest room because neither of us can seem to bring it within ourselves to throw something away. :/

Daniel Traechin

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Weatherman on Thu Jul 16 11:15:00 2020
    Weatherman wrote to Poindexter Fortran <=-

In my case, the uncomfortable chair was the one at work. It was like sitting on a cement block. At the time, I had did something to one of
    the nerves in the back of my leg and started sitting on the floor in my office because it was more comfortable.

Back in the dot-com boom, everyone *had* to have Herman Miller Aeron
    chairs for their employees as a perk. Problem is, I'm over 6 feet
    tall, and if you don't get me the large size chair, I'm hitting the
    plastic, not the mesh.

I had a couple of companies that didn't research the chairs wonder
    why I wasn't thrilled with their $1000 chairs.

... Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Weatherman on Thu Jul 16 11:25:00 2020

Ever since January 2020, I have been 100% streaming over here. I have
    the same internet speed at home as they have at work (1G/1G). Mine
    costs much less, though.

I tried cutting down to local cable channels and 60/30 cable
    internet, but we missed the phone line (bundled with cable) as we
    both work from home and we're in spotty cell coverage. I found a
    great streaming channel called locast that plays local channels, but
    there's nothing in our area. If I can get that traffic to go over my
    San Francisco VPN tunnel, I can get all of the channels we usually
    watch.

My wife likes a couple of basic cable channels, so I bumped it up to
    basic cable and added a phone line with unlimited calling for
    $20/month more.

As much as I like the idea of remote schooling, I just don't see it working. There is no way to get elementary or teenagers to stay on
    point and do what they should be doing via remote video. Not to
    mention who is supposed to be staying home with them for parents that
    both work.

My son is very distraction-prone. Luckily, his aunt is a stay at home
    mom and ran a boot camp for he and his cousin last semester. He did
    well, but he's close to going to college and not having someone
    watching over his shoulder.

The social interaction is important and shouldn't be forgotten in all this.

100%, my daughter is 10 years old, and acting out a lot of
    anger/frustration/sadness over not having contact with her friends.

... Can you hear me?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From Weatherman@21:1/132 to Calcmandan on Fri Jul 17 01:01:28 2020

I know right? I saw bits of black all over the house as it would fall off
    my clothes. It's now sitting in a guest room because neither of us can
    seem to bring it within ourselves to throw something away. :/

Mine went into the dumpster when our neighborhood had dumpster day. My wife hated the chair more than me since she was the primary one cleaning up the pieces of it all over the 2nd floor of the house. :)

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From Weatherman@21:1/132 to Poindexter Fortran on Fri Jul 17 01:05:50 2020

tall, and if you don't get me the large size chair, I'm hitting the plastic, not the mesh.

Most of our area has some type of plastic uncomfortable chairs as the norm. Like sitting on concrete and makes my back go to sleep. I would much rather have a Lazy Boy, sofa, or anything with some cushion.

The chair I ended up getting from Staples was far less expensive than the "concrete chair".

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From Weatherman@21:1/132 to Poindexter Fortran on Fri Jul 17 01:12:57 2020

I tried cutting down to local cable channels and 60/30 cable
    internet, but we missed the phone line (bundled with cable) as we
    both work from home and we're in spotty cell coverage. I found a
    great streaming channel called locast that plays local channels, but there's nothing in our area. If I can get that traffic to go over my
    San Francisco VPN tunnel, I can get all of the channels we usually
    watch.

I have locast as one of the Android TV apps on the list, too. I can get our local channels but rarely watch them. I use the NVidia Shields.

My wife likes a couple of basic cable channels, so I bumped it up to
    basic cable and added a phone line with unlimited calling for
    $20/month more.

Home Phone, I use Ooma (VoIP) for $120 year for (2) unlimited lines. I avoid the ISP trap where they rope you into their bundles.

My son is very distraction-prone. Luckily, his aunt is a stay at home
    mom and ran a boot camp for he and his cousin last semester. He did
    well, but he's close to going to college and not having someone
    watching over his shoulder.

There is a minority of kids that can do remote learning - which is great. If I was a teen and this was going on I can tell you 100% that I wouldn't be doing remote learning and would be playing games, on the Internet, or doing anything other than school work.

100%, my daughter is 10 years old, and acting out a lot of anger/frustration/sadness over not having contact with her friends.

That is sad. Around here, it seems more are playing like normal. At least in my neighborhood. The crazy thing is I would rather live away from people but that might not be the best move for my son. Then again, he doesn't play with many of the kids around here anyway.

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to calcmandan on Fri Jul 17 16:47:00 2020

I know right? I saw bits of black all over the house as it would fall off

I have one of those chairs... had it so long its bald now. It was actually ìin reasonably good shape when I got it. My back loved it compared to the ìother chairs so I guess I had incentive to stick with it. But I did sit ìdown and peel it every so often for a while... give it an exfoliation. Its ìgetting a little sad now, the fabric is getting ratty, the padding is pretty ìdeflated. But it remains for the most part comfy.

Spec

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    --- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: Scrawled in haste at The Lower Planes (21:3/101)
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Jul 17 08:56:48 2020
    plastic, not the mesh.

My issue with those chairs is that I _hate_ sitting in one position all day. E.g., at the moment I'm sitting on my right foot, and my elbow on my left
    knee, with neither foot on the ground.

And no matter how expensive those mesh chairs are, if you enjoy hanging legs over the side or trying one of the half dozen different positions I contort myself into, it's quickly beyond what's remotely comfortable.

So I also had no idea why anyone would spend $1000 on a chair that only works for a very specific situation.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)
  • From The Godfather@21:1/165 to Spectre on Fri Jul 17 06:11:13 2020
    I have one of those chairs... had it so long its bald now. It was actually in reasonably good shape when I got it. My back loved it compared to the other chairs so I guess I had incentive to stick with
    it. But I did sit down and peel it every so often for a while... give
    it an exfoliation. Its getting a little sad now, the fabric is getting ratty, the padding is pretty deflated. But it remains for the most part comfy.

The Al Bundy chairs are always the most comfortable. The newer one I have
    now sucks bad. Its like sitting on a frying pan. My wife bought me a gaming chair I hope is more comfortable. The one I love within our office she won't give up; and it looks it's age; fake leather peeling and all. Lets hope I
    can sell the one I'm sitting on for a good $4 at a garage sale ;)

• From The Godfather@21:1/165 to Adept on Fri Jul 17 06:16:20 2020
    My issue with those chairs is that I _hate_ sitting in one position all day. E.g., at the moment I'm sitting on my right foot, and my elbow on
    my left knee, with neither foot on the ground.

And no matter how expensive those mesh chairs are, if you enjoy hanging legs over the side or trying one of the half dozen different positions I contort myself into, it's quickly beyond what's remotely comfortable.

So I also had no idea why anyone would spend $1000 on a chair that only works for a very specific situation.

Here ya go .. buy this one ;)

https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/04/acer-announces-a-14000-gaming-chair-because-w hy-not/

-tg

• From Warpslide@21:3/110.1 to Adept on Fri Jul 17 12:03:29 2020
    *** Quoting Adept from a message to poindexter FORTRAN ***

So I also had no idea why anyone would spend $1000 on a chair that
    only works for a very specific situation.

I got my mesh chair for $129 from Costco. It's actually quite comfortable,
    my only issue with it is it now makes the most god awful noise when I lean back in in. I think I need to attack the tilting dohicky with a can of WD40
    & see if it helps.

Jay

... This tagline was written before a studio audience

--- Telegard v3.09.g2-sp4/mL
    * Origin: Northern Realms/TG | bbs.nrbbs.net:2323 (21:3/110.1)
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to The Godfather on Sat Jul 18 03:19:20 2020
    Here ya go .. buy this one ;)

https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/04/acer-announces-a-14000-gaming-chair-beca hy-not/

Ignoring the price, it seems like that'd be great once I ripped out the chair and replaced it with some chair-shaped foam that allows me to sit how I like.

But at $14k, it seems like it should start being a fully-enclosed chamber
    with climate control and sound dampening.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Adept on Sun Jul 19 01:54:00 2020

I can think of two...

HR was having trouble spending its allocation and didn't want cut backs next ìtime..

AND...

It was a good tax write-off..

Spec

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to Warpslide on Sun Jul 19 02:01:00 2020
    back in in. I think I need to attack the tilting dohicky with a can of WD40 & see if it helps.

I've taken to using my can of budget contact cleaner for lubing stuff, it ìseems to work quite nicely and last longer in effect than WD40. This stuff ìis meant to clean & lube for anti-corrosion. The flat has a rather savage ìattack of the damps so it needs all the help it can get :)

Spec

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Adept on Fri Jul 17 11:28:00 2020
    Adept wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

My issue with those chairs is that I _hate_ sitting in one position all day. E.g., at the moment I'm sitting on my right foot, and my elbow on
    my left knee, with neither foot on the ground.

My office is mandating sit-stand desks in the new office we're
    designing. I'll get a chance to try ditching the chair for periods of
    time.

... Listen in total darkness, very quietly
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Weatherman on Fri Jul 17 12:00:00 2020

Mine went into the dumpster when our neighborhood had dumpster day. My wife hated the chair more than me since she was the primary one
    cleaning up the pieces of it all over the 2nd floor of the house. :)

I miss those neighborhood dump days. In San Francisco and Oakland,
    they were a scavenger's paradise - I knew people that decorated most
    of their apartments with castoffs.

It worked out for the waste management company, as probably half of
    what was put out overall seemed to get reused.

My best haul was a box of 2500 phone sets from a neighbor.

Now you have to call to schedule 1 dump a year. Takes all of the fun
    out of it.

... Listen in total darkness, very quietly
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From Weatherman@21:1/132 to Poindexter Fortran on Sun Jul 19 14:08:52 2020

It worked out for the waste management company, as probably half of
    what was put out overall seemed to get reused.

My best haul was a box of 2500 phone sets from a neighbor.

Nothing like a good old dumpster diving mission. :) It is nice to see people being able to use other people's toss away stuff.

Last year someone threw away one of those big gas snowblowers. It was pretty old, but I was tempted to grab it and see if I could fix whatever was wrong with it.

I have lots of stuff that I wish I could give to someone local. All items work fine, but I have no use for them and will likely never use them. Several old tuners, old modded consoles, network gear, routers, etc. I just can't store everything and would much rather see someone use them vs sit in storage forever.

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From Ogg@21:4/106.21 to Weatherman on Sun Jul 19 14:36:00 2020
    Hello Weatherman!

** On Sunday 19.07.20 - 10:08, Weatherman wrote to Poindexter Fortran:

I have lots of stuff that I wish I could give to someone local. All
    items work fine, but I have no use for them and will likely never use
    them. Several old tuners, old modded consoles, network gear, routers,
    etc. I just can't store everything and would much rather see someone
    use them vs sit in storage forever.

Don't you have one of those resuse/repurpose/thrift charity-based shops in your area?

They can be a great place to simply drop-off something that still works
    and may be perfectly fine for someone to continue using.

I recently got rid of a plain portable CD/AM/FM radio stereo player. I got tired of the poor audio from CD's (not enough bass). The radio tuner
    (analog dial) could drive me crazy to get *just* the right spot, but the audio for that was fine. There was no point in just storing somewhere in
    the house.

I quite a few pieces of old computer books and gear too. Sadly.. unless a museum wants it, most of it will be visiting the landfill.

--- OpenXP 5.0.45
    * Origin: (} Pointy McPointFace (21:4/106.21)
  • From Weatherman@21:1/132 to Ogg on Sun Jul 19 15:15:29 2020

Don't you have one of those resuse/repurpose/thrift charity-based shops in your area?

They can be a great place to simply drop-off something that still works
    and may be perfectly fine for someone to continue using.

The only thing I'm aware of it Freecycle.org, which has groups in many areas. You post the item for free pickup, which is nice, but the only part I'm not crazy about is people going to people's homes for pickup. Unfortunately you never know what people are scoping - would much rather drop the stuff off somewhere or give it to friends.

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Weatherman on Sun Jul 19 12:12:00 2020

I have lots of stuff that I wish I could give to someone local. All
    items work fine, but I have no use for them and will likely never use them. Several old tuners, old modded consoles, network gear, routers, etc. I just can't store everything and would much rather see someone
    use them vs sit in storage forever.

Craigslist's free category has built-up quite a following. I think
    most of the stuff will show up on Facebook Marketplaces or eBay, but
    at least somehow it's getting used.

... Think of the radio
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From Codenut@21:1/115 to Weatherman on Sun Jul 26 21:04:00 2020
    Back in the dot-com boom, everyone *had* to have Herman Miller Aeron W>pF> chairs for their employees as a perk. Problem is, I'm over 6 feet
    plastic, not the mesh.

Most of our area has some type of plastic uncomfortable chairs as the norm. W>Like sitting on concrete and makes my back go to sleep. I would much rather W>have a Lazy Boy, sofa, or anything with some cushion.

Rather plush.

The chair I ended up getting from Staples was far less expensive than the W>"concrete chair".

I have found my staples chair to be both comfy and durable.

I recommend that people give the a solid look before going
    any where else.

Alan

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52

===
    ■ OLXWin 1.00a ■ Press "+" to see another tagline.
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Win32
    * Origin: 1st Choice Core nz (21:1/115)
  • From Andre@21:3/117 to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Jul 27 15:00:51 2020
    On 16 Jul 2020, poindexter FORTRAN said the following...

plastic, not the mesh.

Same here, but don't have any problems with it. I think you just need to get
    a proper slouch going.

- Andre

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Runaan BBS (21:3/117)