• Audio Foibles at the Kirk...

From Spectre@21:3/101 to Anybody on Thu Nov 5 04:45:00 2020
    Sooo last Sunday we killed the "mixer" at the pc, and on Monday they had a ìnew one, and "we" duly installed it. Looked good, sound level seemed lower, ìbut nice and clean. Fast forward Wednesday. I've installed an extra 2x80Gb ìHD's. When the sound guy says he saves audio... he's not kidding, he's got ìsomething that looks like a wav or pcm per channel so a loooooot of data. Not ìwanting to be pushing all that data over the already busy USB ports, I put in ìthe extra HD's one for audio, one for video to shift the data load around. ìThe 80's are old/small but fast and it should be easier for the system to dump ìdata onto them. If its any good you can copy it off, if its no good you can ìdelete, they're not meant to be long term storage.

So Wednesday artnoon, extra HD's in, quick test run on the Video side shows ìeverything doing what it should. The new audio is looking good, the "new" hd ìis looking good. I get a little caught out by the time, playing, but we're ìgood to go for 6.... At 6:30 nice timing, intermission approx half way ìthrough... I see two errors come past, no driver for device. The audio input ìstops and one camera freezes. Hoping to resurrect it, I swap cameras finding ìthe second one is still running, but the audio is dead, I call a timeout and ìshut it all down.

Keeping my fingers crossed, I cycle everything up again. All looks good, big ìhum in the audio though.. not good... after wrestling with settings, a noise ìfilter on the input gets rid of it, but I don't know what the source is. And ìso this is how we go for the rest of the session.

I'll have to have a look at the system again, because after getting home and ìhaving a listen to the second half its obvious its not using the "normal" ìaudio feed, its using audio from a camera. So has the new box had a ìhiccough, is it dead? Time will tell, its all guess work to me at the ìmoment. But I think something happened there and it took the camera with it. ì They're all USB.. Getting to be busy USB subsystem, 3 x camera, plus this ìMixer Audio and the regular keyboard/mouse combo.

One of the more interesting things about this computer, is that it was handed ìto the church as a "modern" all you'll need PC. She's not new though, not ìeven close, still has PS2, serial and parallel ports.

Well this turned into a long spiel, hope you enjoy...

Spec

--- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: (21:3/101)