• Re: As you wish

From Adept@21:2/108 to ryan on Tue Nov 17 04:24:54 2020
    It's just that masks are terribly comfortable -- I think everyone wil wearing them in the future.

As you wish!

That was _quick_.

I do think that BBS sysops are probably more likely to get the reference, but it's had enough of an impact in my life that I view it as one of those movies everyone knows.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)
  • From ryan@21:1/168 to Adept on Mon Nov 16 22:40:41 2020
    I do think that BBS sysops are probably more likely to get the
    reference, but it's had enough of an impact in my life that I view it as one of those movies everyone knows.

I hate remakes, I hate sequels, I prefer true honest art the first time
    around.

That said, I would love to see The Princess Bride remade, featuring Muppets.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/06 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: monterey bbs (21:1/168)
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to ryan on Tue Nov 17 23:44:49 2020
    I hate remakes, I hate sequels, I prefer true honest art the first time around.

That said, I would love to see The Princess Bride remade, featuring Muppets.

I enjoyed seeing the live-read with any actors still living playing their own parts. It was a political fundraiser, but pretty easy to ignore that part
    once they started.

I imagine I'd watch any version of it.

I do wonder about a sequel, because on one hand I don't want to see the happily-ever-after, but on the other, I love movie franchises that bring back stars 30 years later to continue a story 30 years on. Just because it's a
    type of storytelling that there's only so many opportunities to do.

• From ryan@21:1/168 to Adept on Tue Nov 17 22:41:12 2020
    I enjoyed seeing the live-read with any actors still living playing
    their own parts. It was a political fundraiser, but pretty easy to
    ignore that part once they started.

Holy crap! I must find this!

Have you read the book? The author did a great job of making you scratch your head wondering what was fiction and what wasn't. Pretty crazy. Very ... meta. lol.

I do wonder about a sequel, because on one hand I don't want to see the happily-ever-after, but on the other, I love movie franchises that bring back stars 30 years later to continue a story 30 years on. Just because it's a type of storytelling that there's only so many opportunities to
    do.

I'm not sure I've seen a film that tried to resurrect a franchise
    successfully. Indiana Jones, Bill & Ted...these are films I watched recently that made me wish I'd just skipped them. It felt like cheapening of the brand.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/06 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: monterey bbs (21:1/168)
  • From Arelor@21:2/138 to ryan on Wed Nov 18 08:30:58 2020
    Re: Re: As you wish
    By: ryan to Adept on Tue Nov 17 2020 05:41 pm

Have you read the book? The author did a great job of making you scratch you head wondering what was fiction and what wasn't. Pretty crazy. Very ... meta lol.

I have read the book and watched the film. I must say this is one of the rare cases where the film is better than the book.

The story they both tell is the same - which is rare, because film adaptations usually mutilate the plot to their heart's content - but the presentation in the books felt severely lacking. Too much playfulness and foolishness injected into it on purpose.

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
    * Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (21:2/138)
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to ryan on Wed Nov 18 23:58:53 2020
    Have you read the book? The author did a great job of making you scratch your head wondering what was fiction and what wasn't. Pretty crazy. Very ... meta. lol.

I did. I think I mostly remember it for having a fuller explanation on who Inigo Montoya's father was, and why the six-fingered-man's actions were so galling.

I'm not sure I've seen a film that tried to resurrect a franchise successfully. Indiana Jones, Bill & Ted...these are films I watched recently that made me wish I'd just skipped them. It felt like
    cheapening of the brand.

I suppose. I don't really expect them to be _good_, I expect them to be fan service. (I don't mean that with the sexual connotations).

I haven't seen the last Star Wars movie, but I liked what they did with Leia.

I think I liked some aspects of the Rocky and Rambo movies, which were
    probably less problematic than some aspects of the earlier incarnations.

Indiana Jones... I think they just made a not-great movie. There are plenty
    of those.

Anyway, I guess I also don't really subscribe to "cheapening of the brand",
    for the most part.

E.g., it's not like the new Indiana Jones movie made the first three less fun as popcorn movies.

And Star Wars... Star Wars is my example of something that should be public domain, and we should be getting lots of non-canon Star Wars
    books/movies/items inspired by the franchise/etc.

• From Adept@21:2/108 to Arelor on Thu Nov 19 00:26:03 2020
    I have read the book and watched the film. I must say this is one of the rare cases where the film is better than the book.

I agree with that, but I think the movie is sublime. It's the sort of thing where people don't entirely understand how it worked so well, and any number
    of things could've caused it to not get to those heights.

All the same, I enjoyed the book for some backstory aspects. It's definitely
    a case where one should watch the movie before reading the book, though.

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Adept on Wed Nov 18 16:59:15 2020
    Re: Re: As you wish
    By: Adept to ryan on Wed Nov 18 2020 06:58 pm

And Star Wars... Star Wars is my example of something that should be public domain, and we should be getting lots of non-canon Star Wars books/movies/items inspired by the franchise/etc.

It's a shame, Paramount recently shut down production of "Prelude to Axanar", a Star Trek fan film; I suppose it was getting too close to being a commercial venture, despite being crowdfunded.

Paramount has put out new restrictions on their trademarks that make sense, like no using the name "Star Trek", then go on to limit the length of productions to 15 minutes, not allowing custom props and costumes, and can't fundraise more than $500K.

They're apparently also preventing previous Star Trek actors from appearing, although that might run into some legal issues.

Where I come from, you don't sue your customers. But, that's just me.

Like Star Wars, there's a whole universe of planets, ships, minor characters and situations to base stories in that help the copyright owners' works by adding to the breadth and depth to the universe.

I just finished reading a 10-part series set in the Star Trek universe that was set around events in the original series, gave some back stories to minor characters, highlighted other minor characters, and fit well into the universe - as well as creating additional color when watching the original series now.

There's room for as many stories in fictional universes as there are in real life.
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Win32
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)