• Holidays

From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Wed Jan 6 15:08:21 2021
    Well I am still on holiday, it's my main break of the year, it should be
    summer here but instead it feels very autumnal or spring like (not sure
    which) but certainly not warm and hot :(

We've had a ton of rainy days, cooler temps, I even lit the fire a few days
    to warm the house up, not much of a summer. Meh.

Oldest son turned 30 yesterday, we visited and wished him well (he lives locally), then I was a taxi for oldest daughter who is 28. She's living on
    her own (also locally) but had some surgery recently and needs help getting
    to a pharmacy.

A couple of days ago I helped youngest son (20) shift flats and spent 2 hours with a trailer lugging stuff in/out of it while we got him across town (yep he's local also).

My youngest daughter (17) is about to turn 18 in a few weeks and starts Polytechnic this year but plans to live at home this year. It's going to be
    an interesting year for all of us. Parents are planning extra household duties/responsibilities for her as she's getting older and must learn it's
    not all cakes and rainbows with wishing etc. done for her all the time :)

Today I see some sunshine so may try and get out and do some gardening as
    well as going for a walk. I managed a walk last night when we saw some sun as well and the winds dropped away. Today it's rather windy but at least it
    looks like it could be warm.

No plans to travel far these holidays, costs and being cautious around covid are keeping me mostly local. I do plan to visit my parents in the coming 2-3 months. My mum seems more frail when I talk to her on the phone. I'd like to
    go see her. She's in her 70s. Dad seems fine.

What else, oh, still working on forms, and moved a ham radio club website
    over to https y/day so that was good.

Happy Wednesday to you from NZ.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Shitty@21:1/197 to Avon on Wed Jan 6 06:07:39 2021
    We've had a ton of rainy days, cooler temps, I even lit the fire a few days to warm the house up, not much of a summer. Meh.

Do you ever try to escape to a vacation spot? Sometimes the grass is greener somewher else, at least for a season.

People in New York flock to Florida when the cold weather comes. I don't do
    it, but if I had it my way, I'd go live in the desert southwest (of the USA) for the winter or even permanently.

I like the way you describe helping the kids. Mine are still pretty young, but I'm hopeful that when they get older they still live close to me.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Compufuck | Binghamton, NY | compufuck.xyz (21:1/197)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Shitty on Fri Jan 8 14:45:50 2021
    On 06 Jan 2021 at 01:07a, Shitty pondered and said...

Do you ever try to escape to a vacation spot? Sometimes the grass is greener somewher else, at least for a season.

Not that often, sometimes day trips, or a few days away, but a week or so
    more away comes at too high a financial cost :(

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Shitty on Fri Jan 8 14:46:41 2021
    On 06 Jan 2021 at 01:07a, Shitty pondered and said...

I like the way you describe helping the kids. Mine are still pretty
    young, but I'm hopeful that when they get older they still live close to me.

Thanks :) Yeah it's a nicer thing to have them nearby. I don't expect it will be that way forever and a day but while it lasts it's quite nice :)

• From JF@21:2/110 to Avon on Thu Jan 7 19:31:52 2021
    Hi Avon!

On 06 Jan 2021, Avon inked down this thought...

I enjoyed reading you message.

What else, oh, still working on forms, and moved a ham radio club website over to https y/day so that was good.

That made me think of a question I had. On FSXnet, there is an echo called "packet". Are you aware of what that does exactly? I'm a ham myself, a non-practitioner if you will, but I've always wondered about packet, even if I've used it before. Does it somehow listen to packet on certain frequencies and publish those messages on the Echo? I would imagine this is only 1-way?

JF

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/03/29 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: .{* iNK!2 // bbs.inktwo.com \\ +o Smooth *}. (21:2/110)
  • From Shitty@21:1/197 to Avon on Fri Jan 8 02:04:02 2021

Not that often, sometimes day trips, or a few days away, but a week or so more away comes at too high a financial cost :(

Same here. Over the summer I took the family on 2 trips to Lake Ontario, which is only a couple hours away. But it created wonderful memories that I'll never forget. I feel like I'm there now just by talking about it.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Compufuck | Binghamton, NY | compufuck.xyz (21:1/197)