• Frozen

From Jeff@21:1/180 to Avon on Tue Feb 16 19:19:35 2021
    Texas is frozen. There are rolling blackouts and I currently have no
    broadband or cable service, and no water. If this gets through, I was able to send it through a mobile hotspot. In the meantime, I'll try to poll as I can.

The pumps at the water treatment shut down due to a blackout and then apparently froze before the power could be restored. Texas is on its own
    power grid, largely to avoid federal regulation, but it seems that the power generation facilities were not properly winterized due to the cost, and they are freezing, too. The companies say that they're working on getting things back online, but I think we're in this for the long haul. We're staying warm, but were unprepared for the water outage. We have some that we're trying to conserve, but we're washing dishes, watering the dogs, and flushing toilets with melted snow and ice from outside.

Jeff.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Cold War Computing BBS (21:1/180)
  • From Al@21:4/106.1 to Jeff on Tue Feb 16 20:50:18 2021
    Re: Frozen
    By: Jeff to Avon on Tue Feb 16 2021 02:19 pm

Texas is frozen. There are rolling blackouts and I currently have no broadband or cable service, and no water. If this gets through, I was able to send it through a mobile hotspot. In the meantime, I'll try to poll as I can.

It really cold in Texas now I have been reading. It's just a little below freezing here now and the forcast looks like things are going to be warming up over the next few days.

In the early part of winter is when we always find out what needs to be fixed with water lines and stuff.

I hope it'll be warming up there as well and all the folks in Texas can get back to normal soon.

Ttyl :-),
    Al

... Misspelled? Impossible. My modem is error correcting.
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (21:4/106.1)
  • From Jeff@21:1/180 to Al on Tue Feb 16 23:59:00 2021
    On 16 Feb 2021, Al said the following...
    It really cold in Texas now I have been reading. It's just a little below freezing here now and the forcast looks like things are going to be warming up over the next few days.
    Really, really cold, by Texas standards. Where are you?

In the early part of winter is when we always find out what needs to be fixed with water lines and stuff.
    And, indeed, our entire infrastructure.

I hope it'll be warming up there as well and all the folks in Texas can get back to normal soon.
    I hope so, too. We're having to learn a whole new set of life skills in a couple of days.

Jeff.

• From Al@21:4/106.1 to Jeff on Tue Feb 16 22:22:19 2021
    Re: Re: Frozen
    By: Jeff to Al on Tue Feb 16 2021 06:59 pm

Really, really cold, by Texas standards. Where are you?

Even cold by our standards. I live in Penticton, BC. It's a small town just a little north of Spokane, WA.

And, indeed, our entire infrastructure.

Yes, even the power grid needs taking care of in cold weather.. and the roads and potholes. Winter is no fun, unless you are a skier.

I hope so, too. We're having to learn a whole new set of life skills in a couple of days.

Yep, I always tend to forget about winter, until it arrives!

I hope the weather gets back to a more seasonal norm soon.

Al

... Luxuriantly hand-crafted from only the finest ASCII.
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Jeff@21:1/180 to Al on Wed Feb 17 01:12:32 2021
    I hope the weather gets back to a more seasonal norm soon.
    ERCOT is the company that runs Texas' power grid, and they were tonight recommending that those who have power (of which we are among the lucky few) conserve power as much as possible. They are asking that we turn down our thermostats to the coldest we can stand, unplug everything we're not using,
    use lights sparingly, and don't run high-energy devices like washers and dryers. They are asking this because apparently there is a risk of the ENTIRE TEXAS POWER GRID COLLAPSING. And if that happens, they say, it will need to
    be essentially rebuilt from scratch and that could take MONTHS. Holy Hell.
    I'm all for rebuilding Texas' energy infrastructure from scratch, but not
    this way.

Right now, there is a fine powdery snow outside, but overnight we are
    supposed to get sleet which will put a layer of ice on top of everything.
    There is another storm on the way, the fourth so far (back-to-back), and then we should start to be in the clear. But we have tens, possibly hundreds, of thouseands of people without power and Friday is a long time away when you're freezing. The sleet is also supposed to collect on power lines, possibly breaking them, so even though we have power now there's no guarantee that we will when we wake up.

On a technical note, I may be able to construct a solar-powered BBS using my phone's wifi hotspot as an internet connection. I hope it doesn't come to
    that, though.

In my favor, we do have power for the time being, all of my devices are charged, and I'm fairly well-stocked on clean underwear and socks. So there's that.

Jeff.

• From Al@21:4/106.1 to Jeff on Wed Feb 17 01:39:11 2021
    By: Jeff to Al on Tue Feb 16 2021 08:12 pm

ERCOT is the company that runs Texas' power grid, and they were tonight recommending that those who have power (of which we are among the lucky few) conserve power as much as possible. They are asking that we turn down our thermostats to the coldest we can stand, unplug everything we're not using, use lights sparingly, and don't run high-energy devices like washers and dryers. They are asking this because apparently there is a risk of the ENTIRE TEXAS POWER GRID COLLAPSING. And if that happens, they say, it will need to be essentially rebuilt from scratch and that could take MONTHS. Holy Hell. I'm all for rebuilding Texas' energy infrastructure from scratch, but not this way.

I hope so too, aside from oil and natural gas Texas is also an exporter of power as far as I know. If it does go down the affects would be felt far and wide.

If you are going to rebuild your power structure you want to have a plan, and do it in the summer maybe, but not the winter!

On a technical note, I may be able to construct a solar-powered BBS using my phone's wifi hotspot as an internet connection. I hope it doesn't come to that, though.

It's good you will have some power at least.

In my favor, we do have power for the time being, all of my devices are charged, and I'm fairly well-stocked on clean underwear and socks. So there's that.

It's good you are ready with some prep at least. I do hope you get to more seasonal norms there, temperature wise. Here we get 3 or so of these bitter cold snaps in the winter, that usually only last 2-5 days.

Al

... Computers run on faith, not electrons.
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Oli@21:3/102 to Jeff on Wed Feb 17 14:24:00 2021
    Jeff wrote (2021-02-16):

On a technical note, I may be able to construct a solar-powered BBS using my phone's wifi hotspot as an internet connection. I hope it doesn't come to that, though.

as long as the BBS is online everything's fine ;)

We had two really cold weeks too (down to -20°C, never above 0°C – no idea what it is in °F) and I'm very glad it's getting warmer now (and will complain soon that it's too hot). But we asked for it and deserve it.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/02/17/world/climate-change-texas-winter/

Sometimes I think we need even harsher weather until we start to do something really significant, instead of putting batteries in 2500kg heavy vehicles to transport one person and call it a solution.

---
    * Origin: . (21:3/102)
  • From Jeff@21:1/180 to Oli on Wed Feb 17 17:46:31 2021
    On 17 Feb 2021, Oli said the following...
    as long as the BBS is online everything's fine ;)
    Absolutely! ;-)

Sometimes I think we need even harsher weather until we start to do something really significant, instead of putting batteries in 2500kg
    heavy vehicles to transport one person and call it a solution.
    Unfortunately, I would tend to agree with you.

Jeff.

• From Jimmy Anderson@21:2/136 to Jeff on Wed Feb 17 17:53:00 2021
    Jeff wrote to Avon <=-

outage. We have some that we're trying to conserve, but we're washing dishes, watering the dogs, and flushing toilets with melted snow and
    ice from outside.

That's a great idea!

... --T-A+G-L-I+N-E--+M-E-A+S-U-R+I-N-G+--G-A+U-G-E--
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
    * Origin: Omicron Theta * Southaven MS * winserver.org (21:2/136)
  • From Jeff@21:1/180 to Jimmy Anderson on Wed Feb 17 22:56:33 2021
    On 17 Feb 2021, Jimmy Anderson said the following...
    Jeff wrote to Avon <=-
    outage. We have some that we're trying to conserve, but we're washing dishes, watering the dogs, and flushing toilets with melted snow and ice from outside.
    That's a great idea!

I never, ever imagined my Texan self saying, "Welp, time to go gather more snow." But here we are.

Jeff.

• From Barmed@21:1/100 to Al on Thu Feb 18 03:13:44 2021
    It really cold in Texas now I have been reading. It's just a little
    below freezing here now and the forcast looks like things are going to
    be warming up over the next few days.

I think tonight and possibly tomorrow night are supposed to be the end of tge "hard freeze" warnong nights in my area. I'm dreading seeing how many of my plants died as a result.

I think that some people's perception of the issue in Texas isn't quite
    right. Not here, but speaking generally.

Yes, Texans are complaining about the cold, And some businesses and schools closed. Most of Texas doesn't regularly get this sort of weather, there are many people who moved here from the north to avoid it.

But the cold and snow and ice isn't the real problem. The problem is with the utilities infrastructure. It's outdated badly, and these rolling blackouts just highlight it again.

I have a cousin who lives just southwest of Houston. They lost power Sunday night for 30-some hours, then 3 hours later lost power again overnight.

A little over a decade ago, we had a hurricane hit and huge areas Houston
    lost power. I lived not far from where I do now, and didn't have electricity or running water for over two weeks.

This is what we have when Houston Texas claims to be the energy capital of
    tge world.

* Origin: theoasisbbs.ddns.net:1357
  • From Al@21:4/106.1 to Barmed on Thu Feb 18 02:55:44 2021
    By: Barmed to Al on Wed Feb 17 2021 10:13 pm

I think tonight and possibly tomorrow night are supposed to be the end of tge "hard freeze" warnong nights in my area. I'm dreading seeing how many of my plants died as a result.

It's warmed up here a bit now. It was +2C earlier today so everything gets to melting and it's -3C now so the roads are icy. My least favorite thing about winter is when it freezes, thaws, freezes and thaws. That's when things you need tend to break.

Yes, Texans are complaining about the cold,

We always complain too even though we expect it.. :)

And some businesses and schools closed. Most of Texas doesn't regularly get this sort of weather, there are many people who moved here from the north to avoid it.

If you know it's coming you can prepare. I usually forget and find myself chasing details when winter strikes.

A little over a decade ago, we had a hurricane hit and huge areas Houston lost power. I lived not far from where I do now, and didn't have electricity or running water for over two weeks.

A hurricane is another thing altogether. Even with good infrastructure a hurricane could just rip it all out. It would be great if we could bury these power lines underground. That would protect them from the weather but then they become harder to maintain.

This is what we have when Houston Texas claims to be the energy capital of tge world.

Yep, having or generating energy is one thing and getting it to where it needs to go is another.

Al

... Inane tagline found. (A)bort, (R)etry, (S)wipe a better one.
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Arelor@21:2/138 to Al on Thu Feb 18 08:38:18 2021
    By: Al to Barmed on Wed Feb 17 2021 09:55 pm

A hurricane is another thing altogether. Even with good infrastructure a hurricane could just rip it all out. It would be gr
    if we could bury these power lines underground. That would protect them from the weather but then they become harder to
    maintain.

Not to mention underground lines areeco-unfriendly as heck.

You have to pot a whole lot of rubber around high-tension underground lines. Aerial lines you can deploy with no isolation
    whatsoever.

With the sort of high-tension I suspect is being used in the US in order to jump long distances with the power grid,
    underground isolatiojn for the wires would become even more of a problem.

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
    * Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (21:2/138)
  • From Al@21:4/106.1 to Arelor on Thu Feb 18 07:37:13 2021
    By: Arelor to Al on Thu Feb 18 2021 03:38 am

A hurricane is another thing altogether. Even with good infrastructure
    a hurricane could just rip it all out. It would be gr if we could bury
    these power lines underground. That would protect them from the
    weather but then they become harder to maintain.

Not to mention underground lines areeco-unfriendly as heck.

You have to pot a whole lot of rubber around high-tension underground lines. Aerial lines you can deploy with no isolation whatsoever.

With the sort of high-tension I suspect is being used in the US in order to jump long distances with the power grid, underground isolatiojn for the wires would become even more of a problem.

There is always another got-ya, whatever you do.. :)

Wouldn't it be nice if we could generate the power we need in our homes?

Then we could be done with all the high tension lines and bills from the power company.

I don't expect to see that in my lifetime but I have hope for the future.

Al

... Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Ogg@21:4/106.21 to Barmed on Thu Feb 18 14:05:00 2021
    Hello Barmed!

** On Wednesday 17.02.21 - 22:13, Barmed wrote to Al:

I'm dreading seeing how many of my plants died as a result.

It is a shame to lose all that planning and expectation of your
    crop.

A little over a decade ago, we had a hurricane hit and huge
    areas Houston lost power. I lived not far from where I do
    now, and didn't have electricity or running water for over
    two weeks.

Although my house was originally built with just electric
    baseboard as the only source of heat, my family installed wood
    stoves when the hydro rates skyrocketed one year.

I've reverted back the electric (good enough for me) - and the
    cost is actualy lower than if I was to factor in the cost of
    wood, the TIME to haul it in, cleaning up, chimney cleaning -
    it's a fair compromise. I just cope with lower than usual temps
    in the house and close off the rooms that I don't need.

When the electrics go out, I can always fire-up one of the wood
    stoves (there are 2, one for downstairs and one in the main
    living area) using any batch of wood I may find laying around
    the property: bark, bits of scrap lumber, old furniture, etc.
    ..as long as I remember to go wood-hunting!

This is what we have when Houston Texas claims to be the
    energy capital of tge world.

Very ironic.

--- OpenXP 5.0.48
    * Origin: (} Pointy McPointFace (21:4/106.21)
  • From Ogg@21:4/106.21 to Arelor on Thu Feb 18 15:03:00 2021
    Hello Arelor!

** On Thursday 18.02.21 - 08:16, Arelor wrote to Al:

supply. Quality is never very good. There is no way you are
    going to run a delicate piece of electronics (say, a
    computer) if the signal in the wire is not recognizeable as
    a sine wave and the frequency is not somehow stable.

That's what conditioners are for! ;)

Tesla wanted to deliver electric power via wireless
    stations. Now, that would have been awesome :-)

And we all walk around with our hair sticking straight out of
    our heads? No thanks! :D

Did you see the tv series "Tesla Files" (2018). One of the
    early episodes had the guys trying to replicate the "wireless"
    transmission of the electrics.. and it worked.

--- OpenXP 5.0.48
    * Origin: (} Pointy McPointFace (21:4/106.21)
  • From Arelor@21:2/138 to Al on Thu Feb 18 13:16:48 2021
    By: Al to Arelor on Thu Feb 18 2021 02:37 am

Wouldn't it be nice if we could generate the power we need in our homes?

Then we could be done with all the high tension lines and bills from the pow company.

I don't expect to see that in my lifetime but I have hope for the future.

It is common in certain isolated communities to have their own generator. Some small villages can get by running a small turbine in a nearby river. The problem is that these are mostly desperate efforts to have a power supply. Quality is never very good. There is no way you are going to run a delicate piece of electronics (say, a computer) if the signal in the wire is not recognizeable as a sine wave and the frequency is not somehow stable.

Tesla wanted to deliver electric power via wireless stations. Now, that would have been awesome :-)

--
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Arelor@21:2/138 to Ogg on Thu Feb 18 18:08:13 2021
    By: Ogg to Arelor on Thu Feb 18 2021 10:03 am

Did you see the tv series "Tesla Files" (2018). One of the
    early episodes had the guys trying to replicate the "wireless"
    transmission of the electrics.. and it worked.

Nah, I have not watched it. Too modern for me I guess.

--
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Jimmy Anderson@21:2/136 to Jeff on Thu Feb 18 17:11:00 2021
    Jeff wrote to Jimmy Anderson <=-

On 17 Feb 2021, Jimmy Anderson said the following...
    Jeff wrote to Avon <=-
    outage. We have some that we're trying to conserve, but we're washing dishes, watering the dogs, and flushing toilets with melted snow and ice from outside.
    That's a great idea!

I never, ever imagined my Texan self saying, "Welp, time to go gather
    more snow." But here we are.

LOL - I hear ya!

... ETHERNET - A device for catching the ether bunny.
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
    * Origin: Omicron Theta * Southaven MS * winserver.org (21:2/136)
  • From Barmed@21:1/100 to Ogg on Thu Feb 18 20:00:30 2021
    On 18 Feb 2021, Ogg said the following...
    I'm dreading seeing how many of my plants died as a result.

It is a shame to lose all that planning and expectation of your
    crop.

They are primarily ornamental plants, so not a major problem. But they were the starting stock for my mini nursery I'm trying to start up.
    The only 'crop' planting at this point is some eggplant seeds I'm trying out. but they are in a pot and well covered.

Before this weather moved in, I was considering starting out my planting a
    bit early this year, Luckily I didn't.

Although my house was originally built with just electric
    baseboard as the only source of heat, my family installed wood
    stoves when the hydro rates skyrocketed one year.

I've reverted back the electric (good enough for me) - and the
    cost is actualy lower than if I was to factor in the cost of
    wood, the TIME to haul it in, cleaning up, chimney cleaning -
    it's a fair compromise. I just cope with lower than usual temps
    in the house and close off the rooms that I don't need.

When the electrics go out, I can always fire-up one of the wood
    stoves (there are 2, one for downstairs and one in the main
    living area) using any batch of wood I may find laying around
    the property: bark, bits of scrap lumber, old furniture, etc.
    ..as long as I remember to go wood-hunting!

We have room heaters in the bedrooms, but nothing else. It's funny, my
    brother in law has an old wood burning stove he is going to give us that
    needs a bit if work. We were considering it for a patio decoration. I might reconsider that now.

• From Barmed@21:1/100 to Ogg on Thu Feb 18 20:00:34 2021
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to Al on Thu Feb 25 02:41:39 2021
    My least favorite
    thing about winter is when it freezes, thaws, freezes and thaws. That's when things you need tend to break.

...but it also makes for some nice maple syrup.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)
  • From Al@21:4/106.1 to Adept on Wed Feb 24 21:13:17 2021
    By: Adept to Al on Wed Feb 24 2021 09:41 pm

My least favorite thing about winter is when it freezes, thaws, freezes
    and thaws. That's when things you need tend to break.

...but it also makes for some nice maple syrup.

That's true. Even if all our stuff is broken, at least we have maple syrup!

Al

... You can name your salary here, I call mine fred.
    --- SBBSecho 3.13-Linux