• Apology

From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Tue Aug 31 15:48:58 2021
    Hi all.

Apologies. I've run a re-toss at the 1/100 HUB today and it's sent out a
    bunch of old packets which I was not intending. I expect most in NET 2-5 won't have to endure them but for those in NET 1 and other NETs that do, my apologies.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Al@21:4/106 to Avon on Mon Aug 30 21:01:11 2021
    Hello Avon,

Apologies. I've run a re-toss at the 1/100 HUB today and it's sent out
    a bunch of old packets which I was not intending. I expect most in NET
    2-5 won't have to endure them but for those in NET 1 and other NETs
    that do, my apologies.

I got a bunch here but they all went into the bad area because of their age so it didn't do any harm here.

Ttyl :-),
    Al

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (21:4/106)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Al on Tue Aug 31 16:07:46 2021
    On 30 Aug 2021 at 09:01p, Al pondered and said...

I got a bunch here but they all went into the bad area because of their age so it didn't do any harm here.

So an HPT question if I may?

The reason for this was I ran HPT TOSS -b

The rationale was to try and retoss some messages for some Fido echos I had been asked to add. A linked node had sent some of those echomail packets to
    the HUB and because the echo was not there (at the time) and the node did not have auto create privs to establish the echomail area at the HUB the messages went to BAD

So I upped the link privs to allow for auto create and re-ran the toss using the command above. I succeed in getting the echomail areas created and
    exported but also ended up spamming a ton of stuff also in the BAD JAM base.

I'm wondering

1) is there a way of being more selective when you request a re-toss from
    BAD?

2) should I be more proactive and use something like GoldED to just manually delete messages in BAD so that only what is left in BAD is what I would want
    to try and retoss next time I were to run the above command?

Any thoughts/insights appreciated :)

Best, Paul

• From Al@21:4/106 to Avon on Mon Aug 30 22:53:54 2021
    Hello Avon,

So an HPT question if I may?

Sure, I'll answer if I can.

The reason for this was I ran HPT TOSS -b

I actually had to run hpt toss -b earlier today also, but I only had one message in my bad area at the time.

I'm wondering

1) is there a way of being more selective when you request a re-toss
    from BAD?

Not that I know of. The are no other options for toss -b that I know of.

2) should I be more proactive and use something like GoldED to just manually delete messages in BAD so that only what is left in BAD is
    what I would want to try and retoss next time I were to run the above command?

For the most part my bad area sits empty. Once in a while I get a bunch of messages in there, usually caught by -tooOld 60 that sits in my echoareadefaults line. I might have a quick look but will usually just delete the base and carry on.

Any thoughts/insights appreciated :)

Not very helpful I'm afraid. I wonder if folks in the FIDOSOFT.HUSKY area might have some thoughts or experiences to share.

Ttyl :-),
    Al

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (21:4/106)
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to Avon on Tue Aug 31 06:04:52 2021
    Apologies. I've run a re-toss at the 1/100 HUB today and it's sent out a bunch of old packets which I was not intending. I expect most in NET 2-5 won't have to endure them but for those in NET 1 and other NETs that do, my apologies.

I wound up responding to one I thought was a recent resurrection rather than just over a year old, but that's probably not the most embarrassing thing
    from the day.

* Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)
  • From Oli@21:3/102 to Avon on Tue Aug 31 11:37:38 2021
    Avon wrote (2021-08-31):

2) should I be more proactive and use something like GoldED to just manually delete messages in BAD so that only what is left in BAD is what
    I would want to try and retoss next time I were to run the above command?

In Squish I have a DUPES and a BAD area. I try to keep the number of messages in the BAD area to 0. They are only useful, if you want to retoss them to an area that was missing in the config. Old messages should be deleted or moved to another area (manually or automatically).

I think looking for unwanted messages the BAD area before a retoss is always a good idea. I also have no great idea for alternative approaches. I mean one could write a script that refuses to retoss, if there are messages older than X days in the BAD area or add functionality to hpt. But then you usually do a "HPT TOSS -b" manually and it's still a good idea to have a look at the BAD area first ;-)

---
    * Origin: . (21:3/102)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Adept on Wed Sep 1 12:56:51 2021
    On 31 Aug 2021 at 06:04a, Adept pondered and said...

I wound up responding to one I thought was a recent resurrection rather than just over a year old, but that's probably not the most embarrassing thing from the day.

If it helps I have done this more than once too :)

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Al on Wed Sep 1 12:57:14 2021
    On 30 Aug 2021 at 10:53p, Al pondered and said...

Sure, I'll answer if I can.
    Not very helpful I'm afraid. I wonder if folks in the FIDOSOFT.HUSKY
    area might have some thoughts or experiences to share.

Thanks, helpful to me :) (as always) thanks Al!

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Oli on Wed Sep 1 12:59:31 2021
    On 31 Aug 2021 at 11:37a, Oli pondered and said...

In Squish I have a DUPES and a BAD area. I try to keep the number of messages in the BAD area to 0. They are only useful, if you want to
    retoss them to an area that was missing in the config. Old messages
    should be deleted or moved to another area (manually or automatically).

I think looking for unwanted messages the BAD area before a retoss is always a good idea. I also have no great idea for alternative

Thanks Oli. Yep I think I will just have to manually ensure I remove all unwanted messages from BAD before I try that retoss option again.. :)