• Delete Messages from specific user in MUTIL

From Beery@21:4/109 to All on Tue Jan 22 20:39:05 2019
    Is there a way to automatically delete messages through MUTIL or any other utility? Preferably, area specific.

I've gotten tired of repeated, almost daily postings by a select few posters
    in some of the "Promo" echo areas. Rather than comletely dropping the area, being able to delete those postings by poster name would be nice.

Beery

--Beery Miller -- 9640 News BBS -- 9640news.ddns.net:9640 --

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A42 2018/12/30 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: 9640 News BBS (21:4/109)
  • From Al@21:4/106 to Beery on Tue Jan 22 18:18:48 2019
    Is there a way to automatically delete messages through MUTIL or any other utility? Preferably, area specific.

I've gotten tired of repeated, almost daily postings by a select few posters in some of the "Promo" echo areas. Rather than comletely dropping the area, being able to delete those postings by poster name would be nice.

There was a way with mbbsutil when we had that but I'm not sure if that ability
    was ever added to mutil.

You could use the twit keyword in your ImportEchoMail stanza of mutil when you import echomail. If you are passing the areas in question to other nodes that is not a good idea since they won't recieve those messages either.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-3
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (21:4/106)
  • From Robert Wolfe@21:2/136 to Beery on Tue Jan 22 22:29:54 2019

I've gotten tired of repeated, almost daily postings by a select few posters in some of the "Promo" echo areas. Rather than comletely dropping the area, being able to delete those postings by poster name would be nice.

I can't help but wonder if there were a way that this could be done in
    MPL.
    --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.1
    * Origin: fsxNet: Omicron Theta * Southaven, MS * winserver.org (21:2/136)
  • From g00r00@21:1/108 to Beery on Wed Jan 23 08:24:13 2019
    Is there a way to automatically delete messages through MUTIL or any
    other utility? Preferably, area specific.

I've gotten tired of repeated, almost daily postings by a select few posters in some of the "Promo" echo areas. Rather than comletely
    dropping the area, being able to delete those postings by poster name would be nice.

Yes, you can "twit" them in your MUTIL.INI file assuming their messages are coming through echomail. If they are posting the messages locally on your
    BBS then it will not remove them.

Mystic used to have a function that did it for all existing messages bases using MBBSUTIL but I never reproduced it into MUTIL. Maybe I will add that back in to the "PurgeMessages" function so you can define twit filters there. I'll put that on the TODO list but I don't know when I'll get it done.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A42 2018/12/31 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Sector 7 [Mystic BBS WHQ] (21:1/108)
  • From Beery@21:4/109 to g00r00 on Wed Jan 23 22:04:22 2019
    Thanks for considering to add a "twit" function.

I'm sure others are experiencing it, however, I have some echos where some individuals are posting daily advertisements of their website and have pretty much rendered those echos useless. If I can delete those messages by either Subject, From, or address, that would be nice.

Beery

--Beery Miller -- 9640 News BBS -- 9640news.ddns.net:9640 --

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A42 2018/12/30 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: 9640 News BBS (21:4/109)
  • From nathanael@21:4/123 to Beery on Wed Jan 23 18:17:48 2019
    almost daily postings by a select few posters

Wait -- you have posters?! Some people have all the luck :-)

+-----------------------+ +-------+
    | *:H:U:M:O:N:G:O:U:S:* | | B:B:S | nathanael : jenandcal.familyds.org:2323 +-----------------------+ +-------+

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A41 2018/12/27 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: *HUMONGOUS* BBS (21:4/123)
  • From g00r00@21:1/108 to Beery on Thu Jan 24 08:15:11 2019
    Thanks for considering to add a "twit" function.

I'm sure others are experiencing it, however, I have some echos where
    some individuals are posting daily advertisements of their website and have pretty much rendered those echos useless. If I can delete those messages by either Subject, From, or address, that would be nice.

You can twit people by the From already but its not going to be specific to a certain echo area, although that might even be something I could do. I'd
    have to look into the code to see how easy that would be and what the impact would be on performance.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A42 2019/01/23 (Windows/32)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to g00r00 on Fri Jan 25 17:30:00 2019
    On 01-23-19 03:24, g00r00 wrote to Beery <=-

Mystic used to have a function that did it for all existing messages
    bases using MBBSUTIL but I never reproduced it into MUTIL. Maybe I
    will add that back in to the "PurgeMessages" function so you can define twit filters there. I'll put that on the TODO list but I don't know
    when I'll get it done.

Being able to apply twit filters locally makes more sense. You really don't want to be doing it to echomail that gets forwarded.

... Chopped cabbage-it's not just a good idea...it's THE SLAW
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)
  • From g00r00@21:1/108 to Vk3jed on Fri Jan 25 09:14:03 2019
    Being able to apply twit filters locally makes more sense. You really don't want to be doing it to echomail that gets forwarded.

Its intentionally designed to block echomail :)

If you have someone spamming your local message base from your own BBS the idea is that you can handle that by removing their access or even their account, blocking their IP, and so on.

But when you're running a network you have no defense if you need to moderate someone (without this feature). Or if you're an endpoint system and you want to filter someone you have no way to do that without this feature.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A42 2019/01/23 (Windows/32)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to g00r00 on Sun Jan 27 00:59:00 2019
    On 01-25-19 04:14, g00r00 wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Its intentionally designed to block echomail :)

If you have someone spamming your local message base from your own BBS
    the idea is that you can handle that by removing their access or even their account, blocking their IP, and so on.

But when you're running a network you have no defense if you need to moderate someone (without this feature). Or if you're an endpoint
    system and you want to filter someone you have no way to do that
    without this feature.

Unless I'm the hub setting the rules, I'd prefer to pass on echomail intact. Of course, if I'm a leaf node, I can delete what I like in incoming echomail.
    )

So being able to selectively import messages, but pass everything on would be good.

... The difference between haste and waste are the leading letters.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)