• Missing null on rescan

From Nigel Reed@21:2/101 to All on Fri Feb 22 20:44:25 2019
    Anyone know if this problem get fixed and people just haven't updated yet?

As a reminder, when doing a RESCAN via areafix if there's multiple packets the last has a missing null character. I have to edit the pkt file and reimport it. --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
    * Origin: End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com (21:2/101)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Nigel Reed on Sat Feb 23 15:50:55 2019
    On 22 Feb 2019 at 03:44p, Nigel Reed pondered and said...

Anyone know if this problem get fixed and people just haven't updated
    yet?

As a reminder, when doing a RESCAN via areafix if there's multiple
    packets the last has a missing null character. I have to edit the pkt
    file and reimport it. --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux

So the issue is packets from NET 2 HUB?

What version of Mystic are you running?

Best, Paul

--- E:avon@bbs.nz ------ W:bbs.nz ---
    --- K:keybase.io/avon --------------

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/02/17 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From g00r00@21:1/108 to Nigel Reed on Sat Feb 23 03:00:12 2019
    Anyone know if this problem get fixed and people just haven't updated
    yet?

As a reminder, when doing a RESCAN via areafix if there's multiple
    packets the last has a missing null character. I have to edit the pkt
    file and reimport it.

Not sure what you're talking about here I must have missed this being reported. Do you mean the last message in each packet or just the last packet has a missing null?

Thanks!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/02/17 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Sector 7 (21:1/108)
  • From Nigel Reed@21:2/101 to g00r00 on Sat Feb 23 07:55:22 2019
    Re: Re: Missing null on rescan
    By: g00r00 to Nigel Reed on Fri Feb 22 2019 10:00 pm

Anyone know if this problem get fixed and people just haven't updated yet?

As a reminder, when doing a RESCAN via areafix if there's multiple packets the last has a missing null character. I have to edit the pkt file and reimport it.

Not sure what you're talking about here I must have missed this being reported. Do you mean the last message in each packet or just the last packet has a missing null?

I reported it here some months ago. Avon acknowledged it.

Yes it's the last packet. I'm not sure if the same happens with a single packet because I've never had that scenario to test it.

If you add an echo via areafix and then issue a %RESCAN I receive multiple packets. All are processed except the last because there's a missing null character at the end.

You can use vi in binary node and not have it write a crnl when saving to add the last null or an echo -n with null and >> to the packet file.
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Nigel Reed on Wed Feb 27 02:12:42 2019
    On 23 Feb 2019 at 02:55a, Nigel Reed pondered and said...

reported. Do you mean the last message in each packet or just the last packet has a missing null?

Apologies this slipped though the cracks...

This message from you was also delayed due to a backup of packets at NET 2
    HUB so it's just being replied to now.

Best, Paul

--- E:avon@bbs.nz ------ W:bbs.nz ---
    --- K:keybase.io/avon --------------

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/02/23 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From g00r00@21:1/108 to Nigel Reed on Tue Feb 26 22:34:39 2019

He's not the author, so this probably happened when I was away for a few months and it slipped through the cracks. This is the first I remember hearing about it. :(

Yes it's the last packet. I'm not sure if the same happens with a single packet because I've never had that scenario to test it.

It was fixed a couple hours after I saw your message so people have to option to upgrade to A43 test release now to fix it or they can wait for the full A43 release which may not be for a month or so.

Thanks for the report that was a pretty obscure bug that has probably existed for many years! Mystic is so broadly used for echomail these days so I also try to be on top of anything echomail related that pops up.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/02/17 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Sector 7 (21:1/108)
  • From Nigel Reed@21:2/101 to g00r00 on Thu Feb 28 05:55:55 2019
    Re: Re: Missing null on rescan
    By: g00r00 to Nigel Reed on Tue Feb 26 2019 05:34 pm

He's not the author, so this probably happened when I was away for a few months and it slipped through the cracks. This is the first I remember hearing about it. :(

I know he's not but he said he'd mention it to you. I wasn't sure if it was sorted and my uplink hadn't updated or if it was still a bug.

It was fixed a couple hours after I saw your message so people have to option to upgrade to A43 test release now to fix it or they can wait for the full A43 release which may not be for a month or so.

Sure, it's an easy fix when it happens, and it's only during a rescan so it's not something you do on a regular basis. I guess a lot of people just assume something is bad and move on, I like to try and figure out why stuff is bad.

Thanks for the report that was a pretty obscure bug that has probably existed for many years! Mystic is so broadly used for echomail these days so I also try to be on top of anything echomail related that pops up.

Sometimes you only find bugs in your system when using other software. It'd be rather selfish to keep it to myself and hope people who found bugs when connecting to a synchronet board would be as courtious. I know for some there's a Sync v Mystic thing like there's a Mac v Windows thing :)
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux