• Unable to view some File Areas and a bit about ordering of bases.

From tallship@21:2/104 to All on Fri Sep 27 21:16:29 2019
    Okay I was waiting for this, not wanting to force anything and just let my system oganically create (automatically) and populate my File Bases.

Baby steps until I see everything working as I expect before moving on to add more Message and File Groups/Networks.

Yesterday (26 Sep) my FSX InfoPak came in, was autocreated. I went in to view it and no problems there. Created in files/fsx/ like I wanted to keep everything in the tree clean and organized.

I mention that because before this, I had two File Bases, FSX: Nodelist and Image Files. They were fine, but were in files/, so I manually moved them (as
    I *thought* I saw Paul do something similar in a video) to files/fsx/ and
    then corrected the paths in my Message Base Editor.

I can view those. I had previously been in contact with Solaris about an unrelated issue where I had duplicate entries in data/nodelist.txt, whacked that, ran maint.ini via mutil, which recreated my nodelist.txt without
    incident - at this time I had already manually moved the file base to files/fsx/ so it was as much about seeing if that mutil job would work as it was rebuilding the nodelist.txt.

So anyway, I can pull up nodelist when logged into my BBS and in the File Areas, as well as Image Files, but I can't view them this way. Permissions haven't changed (and I'm logged in as the SysOP w/s255z1 perms applied to me.

The question is, did I miss something when I moved those Files? Was there something else I should have performed to index something or did I fail to observe some task? All of the paths in the File Base Editor appear to be correct, EchoTags seem correct, and the Nodelist and Image Files bases have
    had their paths adjusted accordingly as well.

At this point, I'm not sure If they'll be overwritten or not - the date on
    the Nodelist is 23 Sep and Image Files 21 Sep for the last updates. I'm assuming those are in fact the latest updates for those.

I do wish to do some reordering of their numerical precedence (a preferencial thing), and I want to do this for the Message Areas as well - which should
    just be a bit of a shell game of renaming things in the File and Message Base Editor, but do think I should hammer out whatever's wrong with my existing setup before moving forward and potentially introducting additional bugs that I'll need to suss out.

Comments, Suggestions?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Vger.Cloud - NOMAD Internetwork (21:2/104)
  • From tallship@21:2/104 to All on Fri Sep 27 23:24:23 2019
    On 27 Sep 2019, tallship said the following...

I can view those. I had previously been in contact with Solaris about an

Can't, rather. I can't view those files. Z63 wasn't actually in the directory and yet it shows up on the file list view when logged in.

Since my last post I've copied FSXNET.Z70 and fsxnode.zip which contains all
    of the .?70 nodelist files into /home/mystic/files/fsx/FSX_NODE/

I've restarted mis and have included the following two graphics for clarity.

As of this time, and since I manually placed .Z63 in the directory, I can
    open and view it, but .Z70, even though it's physically there, still does not show up.

https://bit.ly/2lPwNgg

https://bit.ly/2lOwLFt

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions :)

Kindest regards,

Bradley

• From Zip@21:1/202 to tallship on Sat Sep 28 12:56:47 2019
    Hello tallship!

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions :)

Not sure what could be causing this, but perhaps file area maintenance with MUTIL could help? Enabling MassUpload and PackFileBases in an .ini file and running MUTIL on it?

I enabled those two jobs in my daily maint.ini, so if anything is added to a folder it will find it, and packing the file bases I guess should remove anything that shouldn't be in the listings...

Best regards
    Zip

* Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (21:1/202)
  • From Scarecrow@21:4/111 to tallship on Sat Sep 28 06:39:34 2019

As of this time, and since I manually placed .Z63 in the directory, I can open and view it, but .Z70, even though it's physically there, still
    does not show up.

If I recall, just manually placing a file into a filebase directory (as
    opposed to uploading the file via the BBS) does not make it appear in the BBS file list screen. I *think* the Mass Upload function in mutil is needed to
    add any manually added files to the file listing 'databases'.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/32)
    * Origin: Blue Northern Software | bnsbbs.ddns.net:23000 (21:4/111)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to tallship on Sun Sep 29 00:47:38 2019
    On 27 Sep 2019 at 07:24p, tallship pondered and said...

Since my last post I've copied FSXNET.Z70 and fsxnode.zip which contains all of the .?70 nodelist files into /home/mystic/files/fsx/FSX_NODE/

I've restarted mis and have included the following two graphics for clarity.

Firstly when you run your mailin.ini do you have the FileToss stanza also enabled? This function will task MUTIL to process incoming files that are hatched to your BBS and move them to the correct file base and in some cases replace the older file with the new one.

The nodelist and infopack files the HUB hatches are both in this category and will auto replace old with new.

You should not need to manually move files from echomail\in to your file
    base. You also don't need fsxnode.zip in your nodelist file base I'd remove that one.

If you do manually move files into a file base folder Mystic won't automatically know they are there. Your options include using the /u sysop
    menu command from the file base menu while logged in to run a mass upload and ask mystic to scan your folders for new files and upload them. Or you could
    use a function in MUTIL. But really for all of these files MUTIL should if configured correctly import the files and handle those duties.

Do you want to either email me a copy of your mailin.ini file for me to check or if happy post it here :)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From tallship@21:2/104 to Zip on Sat Sep 28 07:57:50 2019
    On 28 Sep 2019, Zip said the following...

Hello tallship!
    Not sure what could be causing this, but perhaps file area maintenance with MUTIL could help? Enabling MassUpload and PackFileBases in an .ini file and running MUTIL on it?

I enabled those two jobs in my daily maint.ini, so if anything is added
    to a folder it will find it, and packing the file bases I guess should remove anything that shouldn't be in the listings...

Yes I did some tweaking it a bit and wanted to resolve before my daily housekeeping job runs (maint.ini), as there were two nodelists in there. I didn't want the same thing to happen as before when I got duplicate entries.

I ran the /e edit and deleted the entry for the .Z63 and the mass upload /u asked me for a description and then left a .diz file in the dir, along
    with the .Z70 which I guess is okay.

I set the nodelist merge back to true in main.ini which should be running in about 20 minutes.

I guess we'll see when the next nodelist comes out :)

• From tallship@21:2/104 to Scarecrow on Sat Sep 28 08:00:30 2019
    On 28 Sep 2019, Scarecrow said the following...

If I recall, just manually placing a file into a filebase directory (as opposed to uploading the file via the BBS) does not make it appear in
    the BBS file list screen. I *think* the Mass Upload function in mutil is needed to add any manually added files to the file listing 'databases'.

Yes thanks for that pointer, that's what I did, along with taking Avon's
    advice to remove the nodelist.zip file, and that seems to have worked for the desired result... for the time being. Next will be seeing the new nodelist replacing this one whenever it comes out and is distributed.

• From tallship@21:2/104 to Avon on Sat Sep 28 08:22:59 2019
    On 28 Sep 2019, Avon said the following...

On 27 Sep 2019 at 07:24p, tallship pondered and said...

Since my last post I've copied FSXNET.Z70 and fsxnode.zip which conta all of the .?70 nodelist files into /home/mystic/files/fsx/FSX_NODE/

Firstly when you run your mailin.ini do you have the FileToss stanza also enabled? This function will task MUTIL to process incoming files that are hatched to your BBS and move them to the correct file base and in some cases replace the older file with the new one.

Yes and I have the following for ImportEchoMail:

auto_create = true

and for FileToss:

allow_replace = true

The nodelist and infopack files the HUB hatches are both in this
    category and will auto replace old with new.

You should not need to manually move files from echomail\in to your file base. You also don't need fsxnode.zip in your nodelist file base I'd remove that one.

Removed fsxnode.zip and I think this is from my original import and then manually mucking with it. Hopefully it will all be straightened out now, but I'll know for sure when the next nodelist comes out.

If you do manually move files into a file base folder Mystic won't automatically know they are there. Your options include using the /u
    sysop menu command from the file base menu while logged in to run a mass upload and ask mystic to scan your folders for new files and upload
    them. Or you could use a function in MUTIL. But really for all of these files MUTIL should if configured correctly import the files and handle those duties.

I think it is corrrect in my .ini files. and after deleting the .Z63 and fsxnet.zip I ran /u mass upload and it appeared in the index :) There's a
    .diz file there now too, however but I think this won't affect anything?

Do you want to either email me a copy of your mailin.ini file for me to check or if happy post it here :)

I put mailin.ini here: https://bit.ly/2o0YhA5

and maint.ini here: https://bit.ly/2nvJhKd

You'll be able to see where I've commented in the job and one thing I'm particularly interested in knowing how it's going to behave is that I have
    set the FileToss to:

dir_prefix = /home/mystic/files/

While files coming from my 12:2/100 hub:

21:2/100_bad_dir = /home/mystic/files/badfile/fsx/
    21:2/100_dir_prefix = /home/mystic/files/fsx/
    21:2/100_allow_replace = true

My thinking on that is if something comes in from other than one of the Hubs
    I have specified it will just dump into files/ instead of files/fsx. I plan
    to have FidoNet dump into files/fido/ when I deploy that network. I'm wanting to avoid just dumping everything into files/

• From Zip@21:1/202 to tallship on Sat Sep 28 23:42:34 2019
    Hello tallship!

On 28 Sep 2019, tallship said the following...
    Yes I did some tweaking it a bit and wanted to resolve before my daily housekeeping job runs (maint.ini), as there were two nodelists in there.

Speaking of nodelist merging, it is good to know that Mystic will
    automatically select the latest one, so there's usually no need to purge
    older nodelists.

Some software (e.g. ifcico) cannot handle packed nodelists, so if you're running any such software you might want to create a cron job which checks
    the FSX_NODE directory for new nodelists and unpacks them into a separate directory. And can then point both Mystic and that software (ifcico) to that separate directory. If anyone would be interested in a cron job for this, let me know and I can post it.

Best regards
    Zip

* Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (21:1/202)